The new winner is: V1 (The winner is: V2)

Guy 13

Re: The winner : V-2 !
« Reply #60 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:13 am »
Hi guy,

u got too many speakers already  :lol: sold some to ur neighbour so he will not complain for the distrubances  :icon_lol:

cheers
henry
Hi Henry.
What do you mean by : I've got too many speakers.
I only have three pairs ! (Ha, ha...)
Soon I will be starting a new project, that will make it four pairs.
My neighbour don't complain about my loud music, it's me that complain at our new sea food restaurant neighbour that stay open until 1.30am and play loud music.
Next year I will put up for sale the speakers that I like the least and keep for me the better sounding one, which model is it gona be ?
Time, testing, listening will tell ?
By the way, with next year profit from the sales of some of my speakers, I will buy ? ? ?
Other kits from Danny at GR Research (N3 - OB7) and/or a
Niteshade Audio push pull amplifier (NS-40) or any stuff on my long list of wish items.
Guy 13

Rclark

« Reply #61 on: 7 Nov 2010, 05:07 am »
Hi Clark.
What does the word (If it's a word) << lol >> means ?
This posting could easily be in the Guinness world reccord book under :
The shortest posting or the shortest word ! (Ha, ha...)
Could you share with us what you think, I am curious to know.
Thanks.
Guy 13

What do I think? I think you're a very funny guy, a nice guy too, and you have a lot of nice stuff, but it will be nicer still when you get it all built properly as per the specs!

Also, I think you shouldn't get so mad when people give you advice, they truly only want to help, and people should be seeing GR speakers that are built correctly :D . But like I said, you have a lot of nice stuff regardless!

Guy 13

« Reply #62 on: 7 Nov 2010, 08:45 am »

What do I think? I think you're a very funny guy, a nice guy too, and you have a lot of nice stuff, but it will be nicer still when you get it all built properly as per the specs!

Also, I think you shouldn't get so mad when people give you advice, they truly only want to help, and people should be seeing GR speakers that are built correctly :D . But like I said, you have a lot of nice stuff regardless!
Hi (Again) Clark.
So, I am a funny guy ! That's why my name is Guy 13.
I wish more people would say and think that I am a nice guy ! Because I am a nice guy.
I have some nice stuff, however, I wish I would have much more than that !
It will be nicer to YOU if I would built MY stuff according to the manufacturer's specs. What is nice ? What is nicer ? Some of you guys don't get it ! For me building audio stuff according to MY specifications is where I find all my fun, because for ME this is a hobby to kill the boring time here in Vietnam.
Do you want me to build according to specs and say to myself, I built it according to the manufacturer's spec ? No, no, no, that's boring, it's more fun for me to put in some changes, some, crazy ideas...
Please stop telling me to do it the way everybody does it, I want to do it MY WAY !
Now, me getting mad, no way, you don't know me, I am not getting mad at all, I am having lots of fun putting in writing on this topic my ideas, my comments, my thoughts and my opinions... ANGRY, no way. I am having fun commenting your threads...
Please keep your comments coming, I like them and I know all of you want to help me and I all thank you for that. That is the spirit of a club. I am not ignoring your comments, you will see in my next thread that I made some changes on my V1 as per Danny and other comments and recommendations.
What you call: GR built correctly. Correctly to who ? For me it's not to build something corereclty, it to build something to my liking and to experiment. Is there something wrong with that ? ? ?
Well, keep the comments and advices coming, I like them.
Have a nice day.
Guy 13.
Me mad, me upset, me angry... All of you make me lol (Laugh out loud) !

Guy 13

« Reply #63 on: 7 Nov 2010, 09:40 am »
Hi Danny and all.
Who said I did not listen to Danny and AC member’s recommendations and advices and that I only do things my way ? ? ?
Who said that ?
Well, for those ones and only those ones that think I only do things my way, here’s a few pictures of the modifications I just did to my V1 to put them as per Danny's original specifications (Less the NoRez that I will order next year from Danny.) it is now a genuine GR Research extraordinary V1.
Does it sound better now with the modifications? Well, this monster weights a ton and I have a soar back, for the past two days I been walking around like a 99 years old man, folded in two, that is.
I could not find any help around the house, only ladies, to move them in the right place and since Danny told me that rollers (Casters) is a no, no… Well I have to get help to move them and my wife cannot help me because it more than the weights of a frying pan. (Ha, ha…) I am now trying to think of a way to move them to audition them, I will find a way, after all, I am a resource full man.
Anyway, here are the pictures.

Here they are ! The black twin sisters.
Pretty close to Danny's original ? Well, the basic idea anyway !
The spikes will be installed later on, when the moving around is over.
Have you noticed that the PAudio 12" coaxial driver as been lowered.
The crossover is in a nice plastic box that will probably vibrate to the sound of music... (Ha, ha...)

The wiring.

The Rythmik A370PEQ SS plate amplifier as been moved down, away from the crossover.

The bottom subwoofer driver and NO, the cheap foam will stay there, it to absorb the standing waves. Does it work or does it do the job it's supposed to do ? Don't know and don't care, I won't remove it until I get Danny's NoRez.

I will post more pictures of a test I did on my V2 Ferrari red with a Audio Nirvana 8" full range driver and some small Sony's bass reflex enclosures.
As always, more to come.
Have a nice day.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #64 on: 7 Nov 2010, 12:06 pm »
Hi all.
It's me again (crazy) Guy 13. Remember me ?
This afternoon I did some listening/comparaison with my GR Research V2 (Modified) and two sets of mid/hi drivers.
This is my set up.

I've used a pair of Sony bookshelve bass reflex speakers.
Those might not be hi-end speakers, but it was to see what they would sound like compared to my other drivers.
Of course they are only 85 to 88db efficient, but my Niteshade Audio SE 10wpc amplifier was enough to drive them at reasonnable level.
Their sound was non agressive, sweet, fine fine details.
They did not have much presence, the sound seems to come fron a small hole.

The second drivers I've used were my Audio Nirvana 8" full range.
I did the baffle myself with a jigsaw and even if it's not very good looking, I am pround, because it's my first attempt with limited tools, knowledge and experience. No need to applause...

The sand bags are for more stability, the driver's magnet is very heavy.
The sound is more open, more live, the sound is spread all over the room, it's more real.
Now, on the negative side, the sound is much more agressive and fatiging, depending on the type of music. This driver is good for strings or single instruments. It's also good for vocal, but again depending of which singer.
If the sound of my full range Audio Nirvana was not so agreesive, I would prefer it to the Sony and maybe, even to the V1 and V1 PAudio coaxial.
Yes, I know, you don't agree. Now, I did not say that the PAudio (8" & 12") were not good, on the contrary, they are very good, but I prefer the full range, but without the agressiveness of the highs. Now, the room as something to do with the sound and the results, I will work on that with my next house due to be completed next year.
To conclude this thread, here is a picture of crazy Guy 13.

johnzm

« Reply #65 on: 7 Nov 2010, 02:32 pm »
hey guy,

i am enjoying reading your threads, and i am sure many others are too  :)
hopefully soon you can get the speakers built to Dannys specs in and give them a listen. id be interested to hear if they do in fact sound better to you than your custom  designs. 

also, i was wondering if you have tried running the drivers for the v1/v2 without a crossover, like your running the audio nirvana driver?

Guy 13

« Reply #66 on: 8 Nov 2010, 12:43 am »
hey guy,

i am enjoying reading your threads, and i am sure many others are too  :)
hopefully soon you can get the speakers built to Dannys specs in and give them a listen. id be interested to hear if they do in fact sound better to you than your custom  designs. 

also, i was wondering if you have tried running the drivers for the v1/v2 without a crossover, like your running the audio nirvana driver?
Hi John.
I am glad to see that you are enjoying my threads and that you tell me about it, very few AC members do that !
As a metter of fact, no further than this morning (Monday morning here in Vietnam) I will do some listening of my newly modify V1.
Modified more or less to make them as per Danny's original design.
Honestly, I don't expect some BIG changes in the sound, but who knows, my newly modified V1 might surprised me ? ? ?
I will post my findings in a few hours.
Don't go far, stay around !
Guy 13
AKA : The guy that is all ears when it comes to listening to the AC members suggestions and recommendations.

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 8 Nov 2010, 05:07 am »
Hi guy,

how's the sound now? just finished my BR for the alpairs yesterday, absolutely delighted. i have those since last year  :lol:

cheers
henry

Guy 13

« Reply #68 on: 8 Nov 2010, 06:23 am »
Hi guy,

how's the sound now? just finished my BR for the alpairs yesterday, absolutely delighted. i have those since last year  :lol:

cheers
henry
Hi Henry.
How's the sound? You ask.
Well I don't know ? ? ?
I have not found yet anyone strong enough to help me move the V1 to the right place and with my back pain, I am not taking the chance to make it worse, therefore, all you AC members you will have to be patient a little more...
Can you translate in English your sentence :
<< just finished my BR for the alpairs >>
Holy cow, is that Chinese you wrote or I am too dumb to understand ? (Joke)
I am as anxious as you are to hear the sonic improvement of the modifications on my V1.
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #69 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:43 pm »
Hi AC members.
For all the ones that are anxious to read the results of my comparaison for my V1, well, they will have to wait a day or two or maybe even three days...
I had pain in the back, now that's a thing of the past, but now, I have even more pain in the back of the shoulder. Is it the same pain that have move upstairs or a new pain, does not matter, it hurts... It's painfull and what is  worst, is that all my work is delayed ! That, I don't like.
Well, this pain will go away one day, can't hurt forever, hopefully, it will be gone before the end of this week.
Check once in a while to see if I am back to normal.
By the way, despite the pain, this evening I found a way to move by myself my V1 monsters, not exactly where I wanted them, but not far from where they were supposed to be.
Maybe tomorrow I will start some listening and evaluation, after all, feeding some CDs to the CD player won't make my pain worst ?
I will be back, don't go far.
Guy 13
AKA : The suffering man.

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #70 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:47 pm »
Hi Guy,

Go for a nice Vietnamese traditional massage. You will feel like a new man  :green:

Guy 13

« Reply #71 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:46 pm »
Hi Guy,

Go for a nice Vietnamese traditional massage. You will feel like a new man  :green:
Hi Chlorofille.
My Vietnamese wife, just finish gaving me one of those special Vietnamese massage with a few drops of mint oil. I feel a little better, but with a good 8 hours non stop of sleep, hopefully I will be like a new man tomorrow and ready for some serious music listening.
Write to you later, I am now going to bed... With my 12 years younger than me Vietnamse wife...
Guy 13.

kp93300

« Reply #72 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:55 am »
 Hi Guy 13,

Just want to share that Tai chi and physiotherapy excercise  is also very good for acute back sprain.

kp9300

Guy 13

« Reply #73 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:46 am »
Hi Guy 13,

Just want to share that Tai chi and physiotherapy excercise  is also very good for acute back sprain.

kp9300
Hi KP.
Thanks for sharing with me your advice, but my pain is all gone this morning, thanks to my caring Vietnamese wife and her super duper massage with mint oil. This morning I am almost like a new man, well almost, because I will be soon 63 years old, so I am not new anymore.
I am getting ready to be impressed with my modified V1, the audition will be this morning.
Stay close to your computer.
Guy 13.
AKA: The new guy, well until the next back pain...

kp93300

« Reply #74 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:36 am »
Hi Guy 13
I attend a marriage enhancement course recently and realised that it is very important to appreciate your spouse. i hope you have complement her on the super duper massage !
She may be persuaded to give you another massage while listening to V1 ! sounds like haven.

Cheers

kp93300

Guy 13

« Reply #75 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:30 am »
Hi Guy 13
I attend a marriage enhancement course recently and realised that it is very important to appreciate your spouse. i hope you have complement her on the super duper massage !
She may be persuaded to give you another massage while listening to V1 ! sounds like haven.

Cheers

kp93300
Hi (Again) KP.
Of course I told my wife : Thank you, in my own way. Unfortunately for you and all AC members, I will not share with you and them what I mean by :
In my own way ! (Ha, ha...)
As a metter of fact, she gave me another massage this morning, however because we were short of time, it was a speedy one !
This morning NO massage while I am listening to the V1 ! This evaluation sesson is too important to be disturb by a massage and this morning I am feeling much, much better...
I am getting ready for the find out if all the extra work modifying the V1 was worthed.
I have to go now.
Write to you later with of course, some picture(s) of my setup.
Guy 13

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #76 on: 9 Nov 2010, 03:38 am »
Hi (Again) KP.
Of course I told my wife : Thank you, in my own way. Unfortunately for you and all AC members, I will not share with you and them what I mean by :
In my own way ! (Ha, ha...)
As a metter of fact, she gave me another massage this morning, however because we were short of time, it was a speedy one !
This morning NO massage while I am listening to the V1 ! This evaluation sesson is too important to be disturb by a massage and this morning I am feeling much, much better...
I am getting ready for the find out if all the extra work modifying the V1 was worthed.
I have to go now.
Write to you later with of course, some picture(s) of my setup.
Guy 13

I just love all the pictures Guy,,,, and I've always loved a ~happy ending~  8)

Cheers,
Robin (Vietnam vet 69-71)

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #77 on: 9 Nov 2010, 04:25 am »
Robin,

Just want to jump in here to say Thanks for what you & others did for us in VN back then. :)

Cheers,

Guy 13

« Reply #78 on: 9 Nov 2010, 05:54 am »
Robin,

Just want to jump in here to say Thanks for what you & others did for us in VN back then. :)
Hi Hugh.
Well, sorry to say that back then, I didn't do a thing for you and others in Vietnam... Because I never was in the American army or any other army, I never went to war in any countries. I am a Canadian and I don't have a single drop of Vietnamese blood in my veins.
However, my grand father on my mother side, was the grand son of a American native, in other words, my grand father's grand mother was an indian from USA. Therefore I have some red skin blood in my vein.
Thanks anyway.
I did help the USA to export their fine products to Canada, when I was still living in Canada, I was exclusive representative for a company by the name of : Maxon Corporation in Muncie, Indiana. The are an industrial gas burner manufacturer. I sold their products for more than 20 years.
Here in Vietnam, in the past 16 years, I also did some volontary work for the poor childrens.
Have a nice day.
Guy 13
A Canadian, not a Vietnamese... 

Guy 13

« Reply #79 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:02 am »
Cheers,
Hi Satfrat.
You guys sure have some strange names... (Ha. ha...)
I am glad to read that you love all my pictures and I hope that you are not the only one on Audio Circle that love my pictures ?
What do you mean by : Happy ending ?
This is just the biginning, I still have plenty of other projects to come, I am only waiting for the money.
This morning I was having a little wiring problem with my V1, hopefully it will be solve this afternoon, so I can continue my evaluation and post something in a few hours.
Keep reading.
Guy 13