The new winner is: V1 (The winner is: V2)

Guy 13

Re: The winner : V-2 !
« Reply #40 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:17 am »
hi guy,

impressive. ur tadashi is peking dog? i got golden ret here in manila. talk about fleas  :lol:

i know i supposed to say nice things, but why on both pic tadashi seems angry  :lol:

cheers
henry
Hi Henry.
You got a golden retreiver ! That's a big dog for an Asian country. Here in Vietnam, they are now slowly importing German Sheapperd, I feel sorry for those big dogs, it's too hot fore them here.
There is not a single dog in Vietnam that does not have fleas.
Tadashi look angry but he's not, that his natural look. As a matter of fact, he's very sweet and affectionate.
Thanks for your comments, even if it won't make my wife happy. Ha, ha...
Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #41 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:51 pm »
Hi all.
For the all the AC members that like to see pictures of the progress of the modifications of my V1 project, here are a few pictures of the slow progression of the work.
My work shop is in our living room and dining room. Yes, my wife is very understanding.

Crossover details.

The Rythmik A370PEQ plate amplifier.

The plastic cover of the crossover with my Audio 13 logo engraved.

The side panels made of MDF 3/4" thick. The bolts are for extra sturdiness, because my Vietnamese cabinet maker did not glued the side panels, only screw them, that's why I fired him. I don't think the chromed bolts are nice looking, but are they ugly ? I think not !

I will have more pictures when I set them up for evaluation.
Stay tuned, more to come.
Despite the frustrations, the extra work and the sweating, lots of sweating:
THIS IS FUN !
Guy 13.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #42 on: 3 Nov 2010, 04:25 pm »

Nice job Guy13.

I like the alternative side wall build.  :thumb:

Not to get this going off topic but can you share about where you live, why you chose that location, what is the cost of living, how you survive over there, language used - can you get by with English only, anything else? If that is too private that's o.k.

Rocket_overseas_Ronny

Guy 13

« Reply #43 on: 3 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm »
Nice job Guy13.

I like the alternative side wall build.  :thumb:

Not to get this going off topic but can you share about where you live, why you chose that location, what is the cost of living, how you survive over there, language used - can you get by with English only, anything else? If that is too private that's o.k.

Rocket_overseas_Ronny
Hi Ronny.
I will be more than happy to share with you my 15 years + experience in Vietnam.
Send me an e-mail at : guyleduc@hcm.vnn.vn
If you don't mind, you can also tell me your experience overseas.
Thanks.
Guy 13
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2010, 11:32 am by Guy 13 »

persisting1

« Reply #44 on: 3 Nov 2010, 11:42 pm »
Hi.
So, you think it was fast !
Well, I think it took forever to get it done and I am not done yet, I have just discovered some (BIG) mistakes that my cabinet maker did and he's 90 minutes away round trip and I need to hire a taxi to carry those monsters boxes to him, therefore, I have decided to fire him and I will do the changes myself. Too bad for him, I had more projects for him...
I will post pictures very soon (Because I love to post pictures...), so you and AC members can follow the progress of this project that is getting unexpectedly more labor intensive...
Guy 13
Note :
My wife was very disapointed that no AC members compliment her on the beauty of her little dog Tadashi. Before taking the picture, she spent one hour washing, grooming and removing the fleas from her little baby dog.
Come on AC members, write something nice to her !
After all, she is the one that financing all my projects.

Guy 13, while I was reading your thread, my girlfriend commented on how cute the dog was and she asked if I was on cuteoverload.com. I have no idea why she'd think I'd ever be on that site, but that's a huge compliment for your dog.  They only post pictures of cute animals. 

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #45 on: 4 Nov 2010, 10:16 am »
hi guy,

yes, it is quite hot for her, always looking and lying down for direction of the fan or aircon  :lol:

but i love her, she's very very smart dog. im sure tadashi also.

btw, are u using PVC laminates for the cabinets? how did u get the rounded shape on ur coax?

cheers
henry

Guy 13

« Reply #46 on: 4 Nov 2010, 11:31 am »
hi guy,

yes, it is quite hot for her, always looking and lying down for direction of the fan or aircon  :lol:

but i love her, she's very very smart dog. im sure tadashi also.

btw, are u using PVC laminates for the cabinets? how did u get the rounded shape on ur coax?

cheers
henry
Hi Henry.
My wife's dog Tadashi is smart, but he's also very, very selfish.
It's my cabinet maker that did the PVC laminate, some kind of peel back embossed wallpaper, look nice, but very easy to scratch.
Again my caninet maker did the rounded shape around the driver with a router and a little sanding, he applied the PVC with a 1500 watts hair dryer to make the PVC softer and more manageable and take the rounded shape. If I was to make many more enclosures and if I could move everything in my one car garage, I would buy a router with many different  blades.
Anymore questions ? I love questions !
Guy 13. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 4 Nov 2010, 11:38 am »
Anymore questions ? I love questions !
Guy 13.

Are you going to build every GR kit?  Does your cabinet maker love you?

Guy 13

« Reply #48 on: 4 Nov 2010, 11:55 am »
Are you going to build every GR kit?  Does your cabinet maker love you?
Hi JTW.
(How should I call you ?)
I cannot afford to build all the GR Research cabinets. Even if I am a millionaire here in Vietnam, have in my wallet a million Vietnamese Dong, (About 51 USD) however, I cannot afford to build every GR models and not all GR model are to my liking. Later on I want to build the N3 and the OB-7, I would also like to build a bokkshelve cabinet but at around 91db efficient, I will look for something else more efficient.
My cabinet maker made enough money with my V1 and my two V2 that he bought a super big refrigirator worth close to 1,000 USD and I am sure he bought it with the profit he made with my three enclosures... But anyway, now he his fired, I fired him because I was tired of all the mistakes he did.
No refinement in the finished products.
I don't know yet if I will look for another cabinet maker or buy the tools and try to make them myself in the living room.
Decision, decision, decision ? ? ?
Guy 13

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #49 on: 4 Nov 2010, 09:36 pm »
I don't know yet if I will look for another cabinet maker or buy the tools and try to make them myself in the living room.
Decision, decision, decision ? ? ?
Guy 13

Man, unless your mate is just outta this world, I can't imagine the lovely lady I see in your pics not putting down her foot down on cabinetmaking inside the house. Imagine taking a bag of flour and sprinkling it randomly around your place to get an idea what MDF dust is like! Make up with your cabinet maker :?
I just bought a TV with money I made building cabinets, does that mean I'm a bad person? C'mon, Guy, ease up on the man.

Guy 13

« Reply #50 on: 5 Nov 2010, 06:08 am »
Man, unless your mate is just outta this world, I can't imagine the lovely lady I see in your pics not putting down her foot down on cabinetmaking inside the house. Imagine taking a bag of flour and sprinkling it randomly around your place to get an idea what MDF dust is like! Make up with your cabinet maker :?
I just bought a TV with money I made building cabinets, does that mean I'm a bad person? C'mon, Guy, ease up on the man.
Hi Peter number One !
If my wife tollerate my mess all over the living room and more, it's because she makes her own mess in her own way. She buy tons of clothing that she does not even wear a single time and what's more frustrating, is that she puts all those tons of cloting all over the place in our house. On tables, chairs, ironing board, bed and even on the floor. A few months back, I had to make a trail to get to our bed, look like an expedition in the jungle... And I will spare you all the places in our house where she stacks piles of clothing...
That's why she's very tollerant about MY mess.
Got it ? (Ha, ha...)
This week end, I will be posting some pictures of my testing set up and you will see that the mess will be a thing of the past. (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13.

Rclark

« Reply #51 on: 5 Nov 2010, 09:16 pm »
lol

Guy 13

« Reply #52 on: 6 Nov 2010, 12:15 am »
lol
Hi Clark.
What does the word (If it's a word) << lol >> means ?
This posting could easily be in the Guinness world reccord book under :
The shortest posting or the shortest word ! (Ha, ha...)
Could you share with us what you think, I am curious to know.
Thanks.
Guy 13

Danny Richie

« Reply #53 on: 6 Nov 2010, 01:13 am »
It's text message lingo and means "laughing out loud".

Guy 13

« Reply #54 on: 6 Nov 2010, 01:20 am »
It's text message lingo and means "laughing out loud".
Hi Danny.
Thanks for the meaning.
I never send text messages from my cellular phone, as a matter of fact, I rarely use my cellular phone and only my wife has my number for emergency only. The text and keypad are too small for my clumbsy fingers.
Guy 13

kp93300

« Reply #55 on: 6 Nov 2010, 02:58 am »
Hi Guy 13,
I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to share. I have been following your posts with interest .
I hope you enjoy your project and the fruits of your labour.

I see many dogs around my house and they seem to urinate indiscriminately. Does your dog do that  ? I have a friend with a dog that always sit in with us through the hi fi session.

Thanks

kp93300

Guy 13

« Reply #56 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:10 am »
Hi Guy 13,
I admire your enthusiasm and willingness to share. I have been following your posts with interest .
I hope you enjoy your project and the fruits of your labour.

I see many dogs around my house and they seem to urinate indiscriminately. Does your dog do that  ? I have a friend with a dog that always sit in with us through the hi fi session.

Thanks

kp93300
Hi KP.
The main reason for becoming a member at Audio Circle was to share my
enthusiasm about building my speakers and to get advices on what I did, even if I don't always follow the recommendations of other members and most of the time do it my own way. Posting pictures and sharing my audiom adventures, I think it add some spice to the forum.
I have only posted picture of one of my wife four (04) dogs. Yes, she as four little four legged hairy thing and yes, they urinate everywhere except in the house, where they are not allowed. Minds you, I had to convinced my wife of not letting the dogs in the house, otherwise, I am sure she would let them sleep with us or should I say : Between us in the bed. (Ha, ha...)
Guy 13

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:39 am »
Hi guy,

u got too many speakers already  :lol: sold some to ur neighbour so he will not complain for the distrubances  :icon_lol:

cheers
henry

Redefy Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #58 on: 6 Nov 2010, 03:41 am »
hi guy,

btw, im selling those pvc laminates here in manila, i imported it from china.

the emboss black u have there similar to what i have here. but i always love natural wood look, either veneer or just plain good quality plywood with stain and varnish.

im on process something similar now, 1 pair bookshelves and 1 OB, i intended to use woodstain on all and some clear varnish on top.

cheers
henry

Guy 13

« Reply #59 on: 6 Nov 2010, 04:04 am »
hi guy,

btw, im selling those pvc laminates here in manila, i imported it from china.

the emboss black u have there similar to what i have here. but i always love natural wood look, either veneer or just plain good quality plywood with stain and varnish.

im on process something similar now, 1 pair bookshelves and 1 OB, i intended to use woodstain on all and some clear varnish on top.

cheers
henry
Hi Henry.
Here in Vietnam they have and sell the wood grain natural look PVC laminate, but what I saw up to now, is not to my liking.
Guy 13