Crossover assembly 101

KMPLSV

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #180 on: 1 Feb 2020, 10:50 am »
Very good information. Lots to absorb for a beginner, but learning about crossovers is the main reason I came here. Thank you!

Jaytor

« Reply #181 on: 1 Feb 2020, 11:14 pm »
Question about the silicone/hot glue. When I built my crossovers, I secured all the components with zip ties, but did not use any other adhesion method. I can see how using silicone or hot glue could reduce any vibration of the components. Is this the reason to add the extra adhesive, or is it just to keep things from shifting when the speakers are moved around or from sound vibrations?

Thanks,
Jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #182 on: 2 Feb 2020, 12:48 am »
If you do use silicone adhesive, use the electrical grade. 

The standard version silicone adhesive uses acetic acid and corrosive to some materials and metal.

Water Dog

« Reply #183 on: 9 Feb 2020, 10:16 pm »
Do driver magnets affect crossover components... Should any components be positioned further away?

Edit: I think I found the answer.  Now that I have 3 posts I can search for myself!  :thumb:

Quote from: Arctos
Greetings,
Here is a quick question for you techies!!  When building crossovers for my latest DIY speakers, do I need to be concerned with the stray magnetic field of the inductors interacting with either resistors or capacitors?  I know that inductors will interact with each other depending on proximity and alignment, but don't know if I need to worry about other components.

Thanks,

RDS

The very anal lose a lot of sleep over this, I don't. I wouldn't attach a cap or resistor directly on top of a coil but very long runs of wire between parts is also not a recipe for success. I would also rewire the speaker internally. See the link in my other post.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2020, 12:55 am by Water Dog »