FIFA World Cup

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
FIFA World Cup
« on: 9 Jun 2010, 07:26 pm »
All's fair in love, war and World Cup. Right?  I mean the most famous goal is scored by the Hand of God, for Jiminy Cricket.

So there is going to be some trash talking.  What can we say and do to goad the talented but very petulant Wayne Rooney to retaliate?  What are some things that a hot headed English lad just can't ignore? 

Comments about his endowment, mother, wife, country or the queen?  :icon_twisted: Put a Worm ( a la Dennis Rodman) defense on him and practically get under his skin?  What is he susceptible to?

Go USA!

craig223

Re: FIFA World Cup
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2010, 07:34 pm »
My wife grew up in Brazil.  We have watched every televised game that Brazil has played in for years.  We also cheer for the US, unless of course they are playing Brasil!

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2010, 07:43 pm »
No need for trash talk - I'll let England do my talking on Saturday!!!!

Three Lions - all the way!!

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2010, 08:57 pm »
My wife grew up in Brazil.  We have watched every televised game that Brazil has played in for years.  We also cheer for the US, unless of course they are playing Brasil!

Has the U.S. ever beaten Brazil?  Based on my poor knowledge of soccer/football, I seem to remember Brazil being a powerhouse. 

Stu Pitt

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:26 am »
Has the U.S. ever beaten Brazil?  Based on my poor knowledge of soccer/football, I seem to remember Brazil being a powerhouse.

I think they have once or twice recently, but definitely not when it counted.  I faintly recall us beating them within the past 5 years in an international friendly which only a handful of important game starters played for each team.  Kinda like a pre-season NFL game.  Don't hold me to that though.

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jun 2010, 04:47 am »
23 hours 13 minutes for the opening ceremony.
Go France.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2010, 05:52 am »
ESPN has an extremely cool FIFA iPhone app for $7.99 US. Just search for ESPN FIFA. :thumb:

1 day. 8 hours. 6 minutes.  :wink:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2010, 01:04 pm »
I just heard on the radio that the Brazilian referee for the USA/England game is taking a crash lesson on English expletives.  I wonder why!  :lol:

BTW, bookies are giving odds for Rooney being booked or sent off.  :slap:

Cacophonix

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:55 pm »
Check out this nike ad -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE

This gets my vote for the best football ad ever!  :thumb: :thumb:
Just awesome!!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2010, 03:29 pm »
Check out this nike ad -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE

This gets my vote for the best football ad ever!  :thumb: :thumb:
Just awesome!!

I couldn't agree with you more. :P

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2010, 12:15 am »
13 hours 43 minutes 10 secs. to match 1
 :thumb:

mjosef

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2010, 02:02 pm »
Go South Africa.   :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 12 Jun 2010, 02:11 am »

Bemopti123

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jun 2010, 03:12 am »
As a futbol head, I am cheering for some of my sentimental favorites, Mexico, Paraguay, Korea, North Korea and the good old USA.  I can also add Brazil to the pot but it has become passe to add Brazil, as it is almost a given. 

What a disappointing beginning, all teams on the first day, tied.  What exactly happen between Uruguay and France, huh?

Tomorrow, the match made in hell, Nigeria vs Argentina, I favor Nigeria as well as many other African countries. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2010, 03:34 am »
What exactly happen between Uruguay and France, huh?
Soccer is a risky game, when both teams do not want to risk attack, is very common the score tied. This is usual on 3º division small teams, not on the World Cup.
Regards, Gustavo

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:11 pm »
US looks good against heavily favored UK - could have been 2-1 by either team. Our excellent keeper is tough!

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2010, 11:44 pm »
It was a nice game (England-US).

US defense was... well... not great, but the excellent goalkeeper (Tim Howard) saved the day. Great guy, deserves more effort from his teammates....

Newspeople are too tough on England's keeper... there was a double bounce before the ball hit him and it wasn't as easy as it looked....

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2010, 12:20 am »
It was a nice game (England-US).

US defense was... well... not great, but the excellent goalkeeper (Tim Howard) saved the day. Great guy, deserves more effort from his teammates....

Newspeople are too tough on England's keeper... there was a double bounce before the ball hit him and it wasn't as easy as it looked....

If it was easy one of us would be doing it. He's the linchpin of the defense on the 8th rated national team in the world. He's expected to handle double bounces. Another gaffe like that one and he'll be applying for political asylum. English soccer fans are homicidal.

U.S. defense had one letdown early on. Otherwise they withstood continued assaults as the Brits scrambled to rescue their woebegone keeper.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2010, 03:02 am »
... English soccer fans are homicidal.

U.S. defense had one letdown early on. Otherwise they withstood continued assaults as the Brits scrambled to rescue their woebegone keeper.

He's lucky not to be playing for Colombia....  :o It's too early in the Cup for mistakes to be tragic, wait for quarterfinals at least...   :lol:

I thought US defense let English come too often too close to the goal and allowed Tim H to get very busy in the second half.

chadh

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2010, 04:18 am »

If his teammates were more composed in front of goal, then the English keeper's mistake wouldn't have been so bad.  And if the English keeper hadn't screwed up, then his teammates' inability to put the ball in the net wouldn't have been so lamentable.

The US played well to stay close, and even maintain a chance to win.  But the English threw the game away.  They were the only team to apply pressure in any consistent way.  For much of the game, it looked like England simply had to send the ball wide in order to generate a dangerous-looking cross.  Howard played well and Rooney was covered excellently, though.  Meanwhile, the rest of the English team looked like they hadn't really thought about how to finish. 

Neither of these teams will fare well against the top teams in the competition unless they improve significantly.

I'm praying the Australians play their hearts out against Germany tomorrow.

Chad