FIFA World Cup

toxteth ogrady

Re: FIFA World Cup
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:00 pm »
Swiss were rock solid defensively. This was a fantastic game!!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #61 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:04 pm »
No holes on Swiss!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #62 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:07 pm »
I was impressed with the Swiss defense. They really dodged a bullet on that one.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #63 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:09 pm »
Swiss were rock solid defensively. This was a fantastic game!!

Switzerland's 1st win ever against Spain in 18 tries was an emotional game to watch, lots of shot attempts. Lot's of surprises in this World cup,,, the biggest being that I'm not only watching the games but have yet to fall asleep in the middle of one.  :lol:  Being that they're all morning/early afternoon games helps.  :green: 

Looking forward to seeing the US team once again friday at 10am est against Slovenia. Hopefully they can get out to a better start this time around.  :duh:   :D

Cheers,
Robin

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #64 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:06 pm »
I'm not a terribly astute soccer watcher but I've had the time to watch most of the matches so far as the first round ends. From my unskilled vantage point, no one has shown the precision and team play of Germany. Perhaps Australia is so bad they made the Germans look good but having seen N.Z. and other poorly ranked teams play, I have to say that none of these games are a cake walk and that the German team has earned my admiration fair and square. Agreed?

Cacophonix

« Reply #65 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:22 pm »
Yup .. so far only germany has impressed me as a team. They are the whole package. Imagine if ballack was a part of this team  :drool:

That said, i'm eagerly looking forward to Argentina/South Korea game tomorrow. That should be a cracker!
Man, i don't think i'll get much done at work until the tournament is over! :duh: :duh:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #66 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:29 pm »
There are at least 10 reasons to postpone the plan of Brazil to be hexa champ on 11July2010:

1. Lack of Tactical Schemes - Brazil has some great players, but I feel the time to put them together. What we saw against North Korea was a football timid, uncreative, that it took the creative individuality - and miraculous - for Maicon to open the scoring.

2. Weak Defense - How you can take a goal from North Korea, the coast of Captain Pike? How can Tanzania goal lead in a cross and the ball high? The defense is slow, protected by flywheels also slow.

3. The Invalidity of Felipe Melo - Midfielder from Juventus booking shows on the pitch leaving the Italians so surprised when they know who is the holder of the Seleção, their football is very limited.

4. The Wasted Effort in Michel Bastos - The name of this left-holder may not even be pronounced for the fans of Gremio and Atletico-Paranaense(brazilian teams). Do not let nostalgia. France's reserve midfield. Against Korea tried, tried, and tried his moves always ended in nothing.

5. The Blackout of Luis Fabiano - The mission of the attacker is to score goals. Luis Fabiano should walk, move, are in debit of points.

6. The shakiness of Kaka - The ace of the squad has not returned to the way it did in other times be the best player in the world.

7. Opponents - In Group G, Portugal, Ivory Coast football showed a much more creative than Brazil. Perhaps the yellow jersey speak louder, who knows good football emerge from somewhere, but the truth is that in assessing the first round, Brazil is only better than North Korea in Group G.

8. Tests Worthless - Make a combo with the best players from Zimbabwe, Tanzania and North Korea. Now take a team from the intermediate zone of the Series B, for example, Bahia and Sao Caetano(some brazilian teams). The game would be balanced, no favoritism with some of the Brazilian team.

9. Coach(Dunga) Without Experience - FIFA World Cup is not America Cup or Confederations Cup. It's serious business. Dunga has no talent to lead Brazil in the World Cup - maybe just to get some competition fashion. Beckembauer was champion with Germany in 1990 after losing in 1986. Platini Undetermined France in 1994. Ie not just be a player to drive a selection of top level.

10. There are at least five teams much better than Brazil - Argentina (although Maradona), Germany, Spain, Holland and England (though the chicken of the goalkeeper). Either one will leave Brazil far from the dream of hexa.

Free translation from the newspaper: http://terramagazine.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI4497655-EI11349,00-razoes+para+o+Brasil+perder+a+Copa.html

Cacophonix

« Reply #67 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:30 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmClXclel8

Check out the above video and you can see why Messi has been called the greatest player of his generation. I became a fan after his game against arsenal  :thumb:

He is key to Argentina's success in this world cup.

Mariusz

« Reply #68 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:47 pm »
FULLRANGEMAN
I think you're down playing the strength of Brazilian team.  :wink:

On the other hand, Spain's lost to Switzerland is simply shocking!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #69 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:18 pm »
FULLRANGEMAN
I think you're down playing the strength of Brazilian team.  :wink:

On the other hand, Spain's lost to Switzerland is simply shocking! 
This is part of a online news site article, but I agree with the sports reporter, brazilian team is not strong at all, the only star player is Kaka, the coach Dunga is newbe, he is a coach just 3 years ago.
But the soccer brazilian federation(CBF) politicians love Mr.Dunga, he is a nice chap guy.
The best coach to this cup is Felipe Scolari, that win the penta cup for Brazil in Atlanta-GA.   Mr.Dunga was assistant in Atlanta for the pentachamp coach Scolari.
Cheers,  Gustavo

mjosef

« Reply #70 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:19 pm »
It takes a few games for teams to jell, thus the friendlies. Brazil is not jellin yet...nor did Holland...or even Argentina( luckily they have Messi who can make shit happen on a turn).
Germany is jellin' right off the bat.
I didn't catch the Spain/Swiss match, so dunno 'bout them.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #71 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JmClXclel8

Check out the above video and you can see why Messi has been called the greatest player of his generation. I became a fan after his game against arsenal  :thumb:

He is key to Argentina's success in this world cup.

He is phenomenally gifted yet is the antithesis of your typical high profile obnoxious footballer, which is why I like him so much. Standing still he's not much to look at, kinda goofy, almost looks like Journey's 6th band member.. but man when he get's moving his speed and finesse on the ball is up there with the greatest.

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #72 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:41 pm »
I'll reserve my judgement for Germany when I see them play the Serbs.

Bemopti123

« Reply #73 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:56 pm »
Argentina and South Korea will be something to watch..but that match up between Serbia and Germany, wow. 

Whatever happened to Spain?

Whatever!  As always, against the strongest teams Spain seems unstoppable but against underrated teams, they seem to suck. 

Mariusz

« Reply #74 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:00 am »
Keep in mind - finishing on top of your group is NOT always desirable. 
It can backfire if it results in premature World Cup finals or ultimate confrontation with your life long "a** whooping" enemy. :wink:

Mag

« Reply #75 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:05 am »
I watched almost every game last World Cup, picked France to win it. They almost pulled it off. This time with the games broadcast in the early morning I'm only watching the evening game and re-play of earlier games. So I missed some games to pick a winner.

The way I see it, the game of soccer needs to be tweaked. Like Italy totally dominated the Dutch. If the Dutch were forced to come out of their defensive shell, Italy would have trounced 'em on the scoreboard. If I had a second rate team I would be content to throw up a defensive shell and hope for a 0-0 score, and maybe score a fluke goal to win it.

A suggestion I made last World Cup on how they could improve the game, but nobody cared enough to implement the change. Every 10 minutes of play each team has to pluck one player from the turf. This would open up the field for some much needed offense. The weaker skilled teams defense will crumble without 11 guys fortifying the front of their net.

Another thing they can do to make the game more interesting is bring in full contact play. And absolutely no shoot outs to decide a World Champion. If I recall correctly, two team would have been undefeated without the shoot out. How can any team claim to be World Champion when you decide the game with a 50-50 lottery? :shake:

Mariusz

« Reply #76 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:19 am »
Forget new rules.......just take vuvuzela horns out of those maniacs' hands.
I love horns and own few backloaded horn designs but GOD!!!, please, strike those who do not know any better.     

mjosef

« Reply #77 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:14 am »
A suggestion I made last World Cup on how they could improve the game, but nobody cared enough to implement the change

I wonder why?  :scratch:
I would guess it would no longer be football.  :nono:

ust take vuvuzela horns out
I like the din..in fact I am going to Chinatown to see if I can pick up a few... :eyebrows:

Cacophonix

« Reply #78 on: 17 Jun 2010, 01:41 am »
He is phenomenally gifted yet is the antithesis of your typical high profile obnoxious footballer, which is why I like him so much. Standing still he's not much to look at, kinda goofy, almost looks like Journey's 6th band member.. but man when he get's moving his speed and finesse on the ball is up there with the greatest.

That's precisely the reason why i like him as well. He seems to want to just play and enjoy the game, and has no airs around him. For comparison , look at ronaldo  :evil: :evil: He too is very gifted, but boy! is he an A-1 jerk or what!!?? Can't stand that b******!

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #79 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:00 am »
In 2006 I was in the small German town of Bad Nauheim on July 4 watching Germany play Italy. Germany had a great run to this semi final game but Italy won.

I was surprised at how many Italians were in Bad Nauheim watching the game that night - they took over the town after the victory, on the main drag of Bad Nauheim as I rode slowly back to my hotel after the game!

Have not seen them play as a team this year - here is the next German match:
06/18/2010     7:30 a.m. ET     Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium  Germany  vs. Serbia