Which BBQ Grill to purchase?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Which BBQ Grill to purchase?
« Reply #100 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:45 pm »
If you receive your unit with a loose fitting lower vent door I would call TK immediately.  Since you had to wait quite a long time for your unit to ship I suspect it is from a new batch and the door issue may be resolved.  As I posted above I have not had a problem with my vent door but my unit is 3+ years old.

Ken

OK.  Yes, my unit is the newest batch.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #101 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm »
My Grilldome was supposed to be delivered yesterday....it wasn't.  The trucking company driver called me when he was broken down for three hours.  I felt so bad for the guy...I could hear in his voice he wasn't happy.  I'm scheduled for Wednesday now...

Nick77

« Reply #102 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:24 pm »
Charcoal and torch standing by?  :drool:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #103 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:27 pm »
Charcoal and torch standing by?  :drool:

Yes, they're in the staging area...

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #104 on: 15 Jun 2010, 12:32 pm »
I have noticed that many gas BBQ's have a inverted-v steel plate covering the burner. Don't get a grill made like that. Drippings from whatever you're cooking get on it and smell like burnt hair.  :(  Not nice....unless you want to loose your appetite.

I switched to charcoal!  :D Best move I ever made. Hardwood charcoal is much better than the briquettes which take forever to heat up. The hardwood variety makes food taste better too.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 12:13 pm by Niteshade »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #105 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:05 pm »
Just an update on my new Grilldome.  We made some bbq chicken last night and it was great!  It was slightly brown on the outside but nice and juicy inside.  I've never had bbq chicken this good.  30 min @ 375 turning 3 times. 

A big thanks to Bigfish for all his help 

I found that making sure the bottom grate is clear makes a huge differnce in heat up time and max temp.  In 20 min I had the grill up to 750   :icon_surprised:  Oops. 

My question for you is do you just stir the lump or remove it as I did last night.  I removed it then stired the small / dust through the grate then scraped out.  I was wondeing if I could just stir it and go from there. 

Bigfish

« Reply #106 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:36 pm »
Just an update on my new Grilldome.  We made some bbq chicken last night and it was great!  It was slightly brown on the outside but nice and juicy inside.  I've never had bbq chicken this good.  30 min @ 375 turning 3 times. 

A big thanks to Bigfish for all his help 

I found that making sure the bottom grate is clear makes a huge differnce in heat up time and max temp.  In 20 min I had the grill up to 750   :icon_surprised:  Oops. 

My question for you is do you just stir the lump or remove it as I did last night.  I removed it then stired the small / dust through the grate then scraped out.  I was wondeing if I could just stir it and go from there.

When I recommended accessories for you to purchase I forgot that I upgraded the bottom grate with the round holes to a cast grate.  I had a problem with the stock bottom grate holes plugging off so I stopped by the store and talked with TK about it.  He sold me the cast grate and I have been very happy with it.

I never remove the lump after completing cooks or should I say before starting a new cook.  I just take the ash tool and stir the lump vigoursly making certain I get the ash tool all the way to the bottom grate to get it "clean" as possible.  Folks out there reading this who have no experience with a cooker like a Grill Dome or Green Egg are probably thinking I will stay with gas.  This is not like having to deal with ash from a Weber style charcoal cooker.  You simply stir the lump in remaining in the bottom of the grill to get the ash to fall through the ash grate into the very bottom chamber of the grill.  Then through a vent opening you simply scrape the ash into something (I use the round bottom of an old clay pot) and dispose of it.  You never get dusty or dirty.

Continued success with your Grill Dome.  You are in for a real treat the first time you slow cook a Boston Butt or something else on it.

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #107 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:39 pm »
When I recommended accessories for you to purchase I forgot that I upgraded the bottom grate with the round holes to a cast grate.  I had a problem with the stock bottom grate holes plugging off so I stopped by the store and talked with TK about it.  He sold me the cast grate and I have been very happy with it.

I never remove the lump after completing cooks or should I say before starting a new cook.  I just take the ash tool and stir the lump vigoursly making certain I get the ash tool all the way to the bottom grate to get it "clean" as possible.  Folks out there reading this who have no experience with a cooker like a Grill Dome or Green Egg are probably thinking I will stay with gas.  This is not like having to deal with ash from a Weber style charcoal cooker.  You simply stir the lump in remaining in the bottom of the grill to get the ash to fall through the ash grate into the very bottom chamber of the grill.  Then through a vent opening you simply scrape the ash into something (I use the round bottom of an old clay pot) and dispose of it.  You never get dusty or dirty.

Continued success with your Grill Dome.  You are in for a real treat the first time you slow cook a Boston Butt or something else on it.

Ken

Where can I get the upgraded grate from?  GD? 

My family is really looking forward to Thanksgiving Turkey on it.   :thumb:

I'm thinking of doing some ribs...this thread makes me hungry.   :duh:

Bigfish

« Reply #108 on: 21 Jun 2010, 01:31 pm »
Where can I get the upgraded grate from?  GD? 

My family is really looking forward to Thanksgiving Turkey on it.   

I'm thinking of doing some ribs...this thread makes me hungry.    Logged

Jason:

You can order the grate from Grill Dome!

Did you purchase the grate that can hang under or sit above the main grate?  I purchased two of them as you will definitely need one for long and slow cooks.  It will hold fire bricks and a drip pan under the meat.

I cooked ribs yesterday but I cheat as I never totally cook my ribs on the grill as I find they are too easy to get dry and chewy.  I pull the thin membrane off the back of the ribs, coat them with my favorite barbeque sauce, wrap them tightly in two or three layers of aluminum foil, place them on a baking sheet and allow to cook in the oven at 250 degrees for three hours.  I then shut off the oven and just let the ribs sit in the oven for another couple of hours.  The last step is to take the baking sheet with the ribs to the grill.  Take off the aluminum foil, place the ribs on the grate with temperature around 300, cook for maybe 5 minutes, flip, apply Barbeque sauce to the top side, cook maybe 5 minutes, flip apply sauce and continue cooking unitil you are happy with the way the ribs look.  They will be juicy and fall off the bone tender!

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #109 on: 21 Jun 2010, 01:49 pm »
Yes, I purchased the double decker rack.  That's what you're speaking of right? 

I need two?   :duh:  When do you put it under the rack and hang it?  You put a drip pan in it? 

vinyl_lady

« Reply #110 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:05 pm »

I cooked ribs yesterday but I cheat as I never totally cook my ribs on the grill as I find they are too easy to get dry and chewy.

I have been using a cast iron Cook n Kettle my father bought me in 1971. I bought 3 extra rings so I can use it as a smoker and easily adjust the height of the meat from the charcoal. The top and bottom vents allow further fine tuning of the cooking temp. Baby back ribs come out tender and juicy without "cheating" in about 2.5 to 3 hours (removing the membrane is a must!). BBQ chicken (chickens split in half and cleaned) takes about 3  hours and is always juicy and fall off the bone tender with nice brown skin. I use my home made BBQ sauce for the last 10-15 minutes on each side before pulling the meat off the grill.

Happy BBQing everyone!

ctviggen

« Reply #111 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:30 pm »

Who is TK and how do I contact him?  Both ceramic parts in my grill dome are cracked and also the top no longer completely seals to the bottom, so some smoke escapes. 

Bigfish

« Reply #112 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:35 pm »
Who is TK and how do I contact him?  Both ceramic parts in my grill dome are cracked and also the top no longer completely seals to the bottom, so some smoke escapes.   Logged

Bob:

TK is the owner of Grill Dome.  If you call the main number they can sell you any parts you require.  I had to change my lid seal after a couple of years of use.

Ken

Bigfish

« Reply #113 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:42 pm »
Yes, I purchased the double decker rack.  That's what you're speaking of right? 

I need two?     When do you put it under the rack and hang it?  You put a drip pan in it? 

Yes, it is a rack with 3 legs!  This rack can hang under the main grate and it can stand on top of the main grate to allow you to cook additional food during low and slow cooks.  When you do low and slow cooks you will need to make certain the heat does not directly go from the coals to the meat.  You hang the little grate below the main grate and place some bricks on it and then place a drip pan on the bricks.  I guess you can place a pan directly on the grate but it will be very close to the coals so the guys on the Grill Dome Website (forum) recommend using fire bricks.  The key is you want to circulate the heat and catch the drippings in the drip pan. 

I purchased two of the small grates with the legs but I think I may have used 3 grates in the Dome at one time maybe once!  However, I do recommend you purchase one of the cast iron ash grates for the very bottom of the grill.

Ken

ctviggen

« Reply #114 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:04 pm »
The grill dome website appears down.  Thank you for the info, though.

That's a good idea about the grate.  I've been using pizza stones for indirect cooking (and I put a metal pan under chicken and the like for catching drippings), but the grate is a good idea.

Bigfish

« Reply #115 on: 21 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
The grill dome website appears down.  Thank you for the info, though.

That's a good idea about the grate.  I've been using pizza stones for indirect cooking (and I put a metal pan under chicken and the like for catching drippings), but the grate is a good idea.

Bob:

I just tried and they must be back up!  http://www.grilldome.com/

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #116 on: 22 Jun 2010, 04:58 am »
Some interesting video's here.... Link....

borism

« Reply #117 on: 22 Jun 2010, 09:34 pm »
Hi,
I am relatively new to the AC. About 6 weeks ago I stumbled upon the culinary circle. Well what great timing. I was on my 4th Weber charcoal grill and hoping for something longer lasting. This is where I learned about the Grill Dome. I ordered it and it arrived last week. Now, pictures don't do this grill complete justice. It is a thing of beauty and quality. Yesterday was my third grill - a rack of lamb - and it was never better. So, people, THANKS. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #118 on: 22 Jun 2010, 10:55 pm »
Hi,
I am relatively new to the AC. About 6 weeks ago I stumbled upon the culinary circle. Well what great timing. I was on my 4th Weber charcoal grill and hoping for something longer lasting. This is where I learned about the Grill Dome. I ordered it and it arrived last week. Now, pictures don't do this grill complete justice. It is a thing of beauty and quality. Yesterday was my third grill - a rack of lamb - and it was never better. So, people, THANKS.

Great!  We have more then audio in common.   :thumb:  I got mine and am really enjoying it as well.

borism

« Reply #119 on: 23 Jun 2010, 02:28 pm »
jtwrace - Thanks for starting this topic.