Which BBQ Grill to purchase?

Bill@LakeGeorge

Re: Which BBQ Grill to purchase?
« Reply #60 on: 1 May 2010, 09:41 am »

The 27" 2-burner grill is $3400.  Really?

Steve

At the time I found it online for $1,800, got sick of buying grills  every 2 or 3 years and putting them together.  I use it often.

Syrah

« Reply #61 on: 1 May 2010, 01:31 pm »
It's not barbequeing, but I use a $50 propane camping stove with a $40 cast iron grill pan for anything I want to get a red hot sear on.  Makes awesome steaks.  When the stove rusts or gets too dirty (after about a year), I toss it and spend another $50.

I use charcoal for real weekend barbequeing.  For me, this is a good time/quality compromise that might convince others to go charcoal for the serious grill.

PS those Grill Domes like really cool.

Eric

« Reply #62 on: 3 May 2010, 04:27 pm »
Here is the Primo

BobC

« Reply #63 on: 5 May 2010, 08:09 pm »
So, I'm about to pull the trigger on a Weber Genesis.

Gas is a must.  Charcoal is nice but I don't have the time.

To my eyes the Weber appears to be of higher quality than the other offerings I've seen.

Any reason not to buy - or look further?

Plus it helps that I can get 12 mo same as cash and a good price at Lowes.  :)

mshan

« Reply #64 on: 5 May 2010, 08:15 pm »
Saw someone mention Vermont Castings on another website:  http://www.vermontcastings.com/index.asp

Never owned, so I can't vouch for them, and also not sure of their price range.

BobC

« Reply #65 on: 5 May 2010, 08:22 pm »
I'm a sucker for branding - so basically wondering if Weber's are worth the hype.  Or can I get something better for <$600.

SHV

« Reply #66 on: 5 May 2010, 08:55 pm »
I'm a sucker for branding - so basically wondering if Weber's are worth the hype.  Or can I get something better for <$600.
I have only had Weber but my GF's mother has another brand (Charbroil ?) and when I use it, it's basically a constant grill fire going on while cooking.  The difference appears to be the shape of the metal plates between the burners and the grates.  The Weber "Flavor Bars" are steeply angles and drain the fats below the burners while the other grill has flat plates that collect the fat above the burners and are easily ignited and produce soot.

Just a personal observation, no research involved but something to think about.

Steve

BobC

« Reply #67 on: 5 May 2010, 09:18 pm »
Good to know.  Thanks!

I hear that because of the heavier design it holds heat better.

dmatt

« Reply #68 on: 5 May 2010, 09:42 pm »
Bob,

I've had the same Weber Genesis for 13 years, purchased from Home Depot.  I live in a coastal town and expect anything exposed to the salt air to deteriorate.  I use the grill year round two or three time a week and keep a full cover on it when it is not in use.

The igniter stopped working after about two years and since then I just use an Aim and Flame to start it.  The enameled flavor bars have been replaced twice.  Last year I replaced the flavor bars again, the burner tubes, and the igniter.  Other than looking sad, the BBQ functions as good as new and will probably go another 13 years.  My grills are cast iron and will last forever.  The 'box' appears to be heavy cast aluminum and the frame has a good paint finish on it.  The other parts are holding up well. 

The plus I see with Weber is that you can order the parts that wear out (grill, flavor bars, igniter, burners) and overhaul the BBQ as you go.

http://store.weber.com/parts/gas/g3_rtbl_cm_wb_sslf.aspx?page=all&cId=223221&sort=N

That's a nice feature.

I also have a charcoal grill for high heat searing but for indirect cooking and convenience -- gas is easy.

David

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #69 on: 5 May 2010, 11:12 pm »
Bob

As the OP of this thread, I've owned a Weber and will not do it again.  I use my grill a minimum of 3 times per week.  It did last 4 yrs but as the above poster mentioned, the flavor bars, igniter....all went bad in two years.  To me that's totally unacceptable.

I've ordered a grilldome.com which will be ready to cook in ~12 mins.  No brainer IMO. 

SHV

« Reply #70 on: 5 May 2010, 11:27 pm »
The bars do seem to rust out in 2-4 years.  I replaced mine with stainless steel, not a issue since.

Steve

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #71 on: 5 May 2010, 11:29 pm »
Oh, and the burner...ROT!

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #72 on: 5 May 2010, 11:40 pm »
If you get one with brass burners they will last a lifetime + heavy guage stainless steel build and be done with it.  I know charcoal may be nice but a gas with infra red and rotessarie is the best.  I've had mine for 10 years and it's like new.  Except for the ignitor, which I use one of those dollar store starters.

Nick77

« Reply #73 on: 5 May 2010, 11:46 pm »
If you get one with brass burners they will last a lifetime + heavy guage stainless steel build and be done with it.  I know charcoal may be nice but a gas with infra red and rotessarie is the best.  I've had mine for 10 years and it's like new.  Except for the ignitor, which I use one of those dollar store starters.

I use my infared rotissaire almost as much as the grill. It roasts a chix that is out of this world.  :eyebrows:

dmatt

« Reply #74 on: 6 May 2010, 12:57 am »
I think Bill and SHV are right -- either start with better metals (stainless bars and brass burners) or switch to them at the first replacement. 

However, I will submit that if one adds the initial cost of my 13 year old grill to what I've spent or will spend on the bar and burner replacements over 25 years of service (based on my experience I project roughly $350) it may be cheaper than buying a more expensive model with better parts.

Oh, who am I fooling?  I just wish this thing would fall apart already so I can get a really cool grill.

BobC

« Reply #75 on: 6 May 2010, 01:20 am »
Good advice fellas. 

Being able to order parts is a big deal for me.  I have a 10 year old charbroil which I've "repaired" a few times, but now can't seem to easily find parts.  Time to go.

BobC

« Reply #76 on: 6 May 2010, 01:54 pm »
If you get one with brass burners they will last a lifetime

Can someone educate me why brass burners would be superior to stainless steel?  Even the top of the line Webers use SS.  Which make / model uses brass and would that feature alone be enough to sway a buying decision?

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #77 on: 6 May 2010, 02:37 pm »
As far as I know brass will last forever whereas stainless will rust/deteroirate over time.  My grill is a Lynx but I'm sure there are others.

BobC

« Reply #78 on: 6 May 2010, 02:45 pm »
Wow, uh, yeah..the Lynx looks nice.  :o Way out of my price range though  :oops:

BobRex

« Reply #79 on: 6 May 2010, 03:21 pm »
Five years ago I replaced a 10 year old Weber with a Vermont Castings grill.  Why??  Upgrade bug and I was tired of replacing grids.  As of last weekend I'm now back with Weber.  Vermont Castings is no longer the same company and all previous warranties are invalid, parts are no longer available, and part of the hood has almost rusted through. 

Even the cheapest gas Weber has a cast firebox (VC was painted steel), and if you are careful you can find a Spirit with stainless grilles, cover, and flavor bars that should easily last a decade of heavy use.  It also heats up faster than the VC did (smaller firebox, but still large enough for family parties.)