Which BBQ Grill to purchase?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Which BBQ Grill to purchase?
« on: 30 Apr 2010, 11:58 am »
I'm in need of another bbq grill. 

I've owned a Weber and Coleman.  They have both lasted < 4 yrs.  I'm really sad about this.  I've done everyting that I was supposed to but they just rot (internally) away.  It's horrible.

My price point is ~$550 unless someone who has experience with the high dollar grills last 10 yrs or more.  I do use natural gas. 

Thoughts?

Nick77

Re: Which BBQ Grill to purchase?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:09 pm »
That was also my experience with budget priced bbq's, they rotted out. I now have a DCS that is 2 yrs old and appears it will last a lifetime. The infrared rotissaire and other features make it a world apart from budget grilling. The price tag, well we probably shouldnt talk about that.  :o

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:15 pm »
I own a Napoleon PT450II now in the 5th year of service for me.  My brother replaced his after 10 years.

http://www.napoleongrills.ca/Gourmet-grills/PT450RB.html

Good solid Canadian made grills.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:17 pm »
That was also my experience with budget priced bbq's, they rotted out. I now have a DCS that is 2 yrs old and appears it will last a lifetime. The infrared rotissaire and other features make it a world apart from budget grilling. The price tag, well we probably shouldnt talk about that.  :o

Thanks!  I thought it was only me...when I call they always say "we've never heard of such a thing".  Right.

Please tell me what model DCS you have.  I don't mind spending the money if it's going to last.  I've been very hesitant to spend the money only to toss it as well in 4 yrs.  I use the heck out of these things.  Probably 3-4 times per week.

Bigfish

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm »
At 57 I have been through more "popular grills" over the last 35 years than I really care to think about.  If you are set on purchasing a new gas grill, I cannot help you.  I have never had long term success with any I have purchased.  I constantly fought issues with ignitors or with burners rotting out (both stainless steel and cast iron). 

Three years+ ago I purchased an extra large Grill Dome and grilling has again become a great experience.  My next door neighbor purchased one a year ago after experimenting with mine and getting to sample the food.  He gave away a very nice Weber Gas Grill!  The neighbor on the other side of my property was over the other night while we cooked steaks and he now wants one.  You can go to www.grilldome.com to check them out and read reviews from many owners.  Before purchasing I thought some of the comments were fabricated but now that I am a happy owner I know the reviews to be truthful!

Good luck on your grill quest!  It is a lot like trying to decide on a new piece of audio gear as there are many choices.  I wonder if we ever think why there are grills promently displayed in many of the stores we visit this time of the year?  Like lawnmowers they wear out and get replaced!  Not a grill dome - you will have it until you are no longer using a grill!

Ken

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:29 pm »
At 57 I have been through more "popular grills" over the last 35 years than I really care to think about.  If you are set on purchasing a new gas grill, I cannot help you.  I have never had long term success with any I have purchased.  I constantly fought issues with ignitors or with burners rotting out (both stainless steel and cast iron). 

Three years+ ago I purchased an extra large Grill Dome and grilling has again become a great experience.  My next door neighbor purchased one a year ago after experimenting with mine and getting to sample the food.  He gave away a very nice Weber Gas Grill!  The neighbor on the other side of my property was over the other night while we cooked steaks and he now wants one.  You can go to www.grilldome.com to check them out and read reviews from many owners.  Before purchasing I thought some of the comments were fabricated but now that I am a happy owner I know the reviews to be truthful!

Good luck on your grill quest!  It is a lot like trying to decide on a new piece of audio gear as there are many choices.  I wonder if we ever think why there are grills promently displayed in many of the stores we visit this time of the year?  Like lawnmowers they wear out and get replaced!  Not a grill dome - you will have it until you are no longer using a grill!

Ken

Ken,

Thank you so much for your experience.  They look VERY interesting.  The price is perfect as well.  I like that they use 304 SS...a proper material. 

Now I just need to see if they have NG domes.   :D

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:37 pm »
Ken

How long does it take to heat up?  With my frequent use I don't want to have to wait a looong time to be ready.  Sounds like the taste is top notch.  ?

How many grillings can you get out of the charcoal?  I don't want a messy change or experience.  I use it way to much.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:52 pm »
Ken

How long does it take to heat up?  With my frequent use I don't want to have to wait a looong time to be ready.  Sounds like the taste is top notch.  ?

How many grillings can you get out of the charcoal?  I don't want a messy change or experience.  I use it way to much.

I have a grill dome, and it takes anywhere between 15 minutes and a half hour to light, sometimes more depending on what you're doing.  For instance, if you want to cook low (about 200 degrees) and slow, it's better to get more charcoal lit, and this can take some time.  Also, you will then want to get near the correct temperature before you put food in at 200 degrees, so you heat up then cool down.  If you're just going to grill though (say, 350-400 degrees), it takes less than a half hour for sure.

It uses little charcoal.  I recommend buying a tool to remove the charcoal dust.  It typically takes me less than 10 minutes to clean it and start a new burn.  I use paper with a little oil to start a fire. 

Brad

« Reply #8 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:57 pm »
I got a Traeger grill/smoker about a month ago.
We love it.

Lights in a couple of minutes.  Cleanup is easy.  Lots of wood species to flavor the food with.

http://www.traegergrills.com/

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:58 pm »
I personally cant imagine going back to charcoal, i love turning a knob and grilling 10-15min later. But i hear people love their green eggs. While i wouldnt trade my grill for anything, i must admit the price and concept are very attractive.

http://www.dcsappliances.com/

model BGB30

Bigfish

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:05 pm »
The cermanic cookers like the Grill Dome all require you to use Lump Charcoal.  It is available at Lowes.  I will typically grill things like steaks, chicken or chops and burgers.  The following is my start-up procedure:

1.  Open lower vent and vent at the very top of the grill (100%).
2.  Remove grate (most times) and stir the coals remaining in the grill from the previous cook with an ash tool (you will need to purchase one from the grill mfg.).
3.  Using a paper plate or some disposable container I will typically rake some ash from the bottom of the grill through the lower vent.  It takes all of 15 seconds and is not messy or a big deal.
4.  Decide if I need to add any new lump charcoal for the cook.  Usually add new lump approximately every 3rd grilling unless you have a very lenghtly grill outing.
5.  Folks use different methods but I have found the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to light the Grill Dome is to use a propane torch.  Just light the torch and point it down through the grate onto the lump charcoal for 15 to 20 seconds.
6.  Shut the lid and leave the two vents 100% open.
7.  Fifteen minutes later (less than a beer) you will have achieved 500 degrees in the Grill Dome.
8.  Do not open the lid without closing the bottom vent to a crack.
9.  You are ready to grill and by controlling the top and bottom vents you can easily adjust and hold the desired temperature.
10. In addition to standard high temperature grilling you can also do very low and slow smoke style cooking.  I have cooked hams, turkeys and Boston Butts on mine for times up to 24 hours at 225 degrees without touching the grill. 

Cermanic Grills are amazing and as I previously reported once you buy you will be done with grill purchases.  Conduct your own survey and try to find many unhappy Grill Dome Owners.  What you will find is that all of us have been through many grills before owning a Grill Dome and are now happy grillers!  They are not messy like standard charcoal grills ( there is very little ash to deal with) and bags of lump last a long time.  I grill an average of 3 times per week all year!  Oh, lump charcoal is available from different manufacturers and will have different smoke flavor.  My wife and I like Cowboy lump charcoal as it does not have a heavy smoke flavor, just enough to know it came off of a real wood type fire.

Send me a PM if you want more information.

Ken

PS.  I just reread my post and I sound like a dealer.  I have no affliation with Grill Dome other than being a happy user. :thumb:

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:10 pm »
You might consider a Portable Kitchen (no affiliation):

http://www.pkgrills.com/

I've used the same aluminum shelled grill, replacing only the internal grill racks, for over twenty years.  i have two now, and will buy another if these ever wear out.  Good luck.  Cordially,

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:11 pm »
If you really get into low temperature cooking, they now make wireless network addressable fan devices that control the temperature automatically and that attach to a grill dome/big green egg.  I haven't tried these yet, but they seem reasonable. 

By the way, want to cook pizza?  6-700 degrees is no problem with a ceramic cooker.

decal

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:15 pm »
Big Green Egg and real lump charcoal.Screw Hank Hill and his propane and propane accessories!!! :lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:28 pm »
I'm right there with you.  I have a gas grill that has bit the dust and am looking to rebuild it or get a new one. 

Anyone use TEC grills?

ctviggen

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:35 pm »
5.  Folks use different methods but I have found the quickest, easiest and cheapest way to light the Grill Dome is to use a propane torch.  Just light the torch and point it down through the grate onto the lump charcoal for 15 to 20 seconds.

This is a great idea.  I plan on doing this for my next grilling.

sts9fan

« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:45 pm »
I have been looking at BGEs but I really want more space then 24".  My current plain ole webber 22" has served me good for 5+ years and counting (not bad for $89.99).  I am not sure if I will be happy with 24" going forward.  I guess I could just keep the webber as backup. 
FYI if you clean your webber/any charcoal grill out regularly it will not rot.  The ash is acidic. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2010, 01:48 pm »
FYI if you clean your webber/any charcoal grill out regularly it will not rot.  The ash is acidic.

I kept my NG grill perfectly clean and it rotted.   :cry:  Don't know about Charcoal but it makes perfect sense.

koiman

« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:19 pm »
Brad,
I'm with you, I bought a Traeger 2 years ago and it is a fantastic smoker BBQ it still looks brand new after much use. Check it out if you have't seen it yet.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2010, 02:26 pm »
Brad,
I'm with you, I bought a Traeger 2 years ago and it is a fantastic smoker BBQ it still looks brand new after much use. Check it out if you have't seen it yet.

How long does it take for it to come up to temp?  Say 350*F