NAGYS AUDIO Cable Tour Impressions!!!!

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
NAGYS AUDIO Cable Tour Impressions!!!!
« on: 12 Apr 2010, 01:28 am »
I engineer and manufacture the very best audio cables in the world.

Each cable has been specifically engineered for its intended use and hundreds of hours have been spent to make sure that component quality, build quality, electrical properties, and proper termination is significantly above anything offered on the market today.

Being an engineer myself and working with real electronic engineers, we have achieved a price to performance ratio unheard of before. We use nothing but the very best cables and wire manufactured by elite companies who supply the military, aerospace, and communications industries.

I will personally guarantee that my cables will outperform virtually any other manufacturer. I own, tested, and studied cables form MIT, Transparent, Audio Quest, Kimber, Goldmund, and many others.

The resolution, transparency, extension, 3D imaging, dynamic range, phase and time alignment is unlike anything you've ever heard. The experience will literally shock the listener.

I will offer a 30 day money back guarantee if the cables are returned in like new condition and minus the shipping costs.

www.nagysaudio.com

START UPDATE

Some of you have asked me what to expect from my cables and asked me to describe their sonic signature... The cables are incredible fast and detailed without being fatiguing, that's the hardest sonic character to achieve in any electronics. Some words that I would use to describe them are: smooth, not grainy, surreal 3D sound stage, extremely dynamic, super low background noise, etc.

One of my major goals was to achieve an extremely low time and phase error, lower than any other cables ever made for the audio industry. No matter how good a recording is, a human can automatically tell it apart from a live event due to phasing and time issues. I needed very wide bandwidth cables, properly terminated and impedance matched. I had to look at the very biggest and most prestigious cable manufacturers in the world. Multi-million, or even billion dollar state of the art factories who supply cables for NASA's space shuttles and satellites, telecommunications, military, aerospace, weaponry, etc.

In an extremely high end systems, like Goldmund, where every component has been designed to present the audio band (20 hertz to 20 kilohertz) with extremely low phase and time error, my cables will be the missing link that on great recordings, will start to fool one's brain into believing that the recording is a live event. It's a very addictive sensation, where the realities of what's recorded are blurred with real life. They're so dynamic, crisp, and phase and time aligned, that the presentation will engulf and shock the listener.

In lesser quality systems, the cables will no longer be the weak link.

The cables have been pre-aged and burned-in. They might still need an hour, or two to settle into the system, before any serious listening is done, but after a few hours the full effect will be there.

I have shipped the cables to BobM and each one of you will be responsible to ship them to the next person on the list. There's no time limit on how long you can keep them, but hopefully they can travel down the list quicker, rather than slower. So everyone can have a chance to enjoy them.

I will be taking orders for those of you interested. I'm running about 2 weeks right now from the time that the order is placed to the time that it shows up at your door. At the end of the tour, I will be selling the demo cables, probably at 30% off. If anyone is interested in purchasing the demos at the end please let me know ASAP. First come, first serve.

I would also ask and really appreciate for everyone on the list to leave feedback on what you thought of the cables. You can post here in this thread, or Cable Reviews, or anywhere else on the web, etc. I would be personally interested in what you though about build quality, 3D sound staging, how focused vocals/instruments were, dynamic range, high frequency extension, what type of system the cables were used in, etc.

Here's a list of manuals for the cables from my website:

RCA Interconnects - http://www.nagysaudio.com/Print%20Out.html

Speaker Wire - http://www.nagysaudio.com/Speaker%20Wire.html

Power Cable - http://www.nagysaudio.com/powercable%20manual.html

XLR Interconnects - http://www.nagysaudio.com/XLR%20Print%20Out.html

RCA Digital - http://www.nagysaudio.com/Digital%20Manual.html

END UPDATE

Here is the current list of people signed up for my cable tour. I will keep updating this list as more people sign up, or drop out. I will be sending the following cables: 1m XLR, 1.5m XLR, 1m RCA, 1.5m RCA, 2m AC, 2m AC, 1m RCA Digital, and 15ft. Speaker Wire.

BobM
mcullinan
toobluvr
rpf
Gopher
mclsound
werd
rollo
Pez
JakeJ
scp2
Zero
tenantman
MarkR7
viggen
Brian Cheney
etcarroll
Gopher
mhconley
JAMn Joe

President,
Norbert
« Last Edit: 9 May 2010, 06:15 pm by NagysAudio »

BobM

Re: NAGYS AUDIO Cable Tour Impressions!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:07 pm »
I received a box chock full of cables about a week and a half ago:

2 power cords
15' set of speaker cables w/ spades
1 and 1.5 meter set of interconnects w/ RCA's
1 digital cable w/ RCA's
2 sets of interconnects with balanced connections (I couldn't use these however)

These cables are made very nicely and look very professional. They were all very flexible and of a rather small guage - no big unbendable hoses here. There was no brand label on them (there should be IMO if you are intending to sell them under a brand name and a model name should also be on them to discriminate these from future enhanced models).

Instead of having you read through my whole process (presented at the end) I'll just give you the summary up front. Nagy says "The cables are incredible fast and detailed without being fatiguing, that's the hardest sonic character to achieve in any electronics. Some words that I would use to describe them are: smooth, not grainy, surreal 3D sound stage, extremely dynamic, super low background noise, etc."

Well, in a nutshell he has achieved this with his cables. They are fast, and transparent and extended, and not grainy. In short I think at his price point they will be hard to beat. A very fine product at a very fair price. I think they have much of the character that is often associated with silver cables over copper ones, but that's a simplification and a generalization.

So what did they lack? A bit of weight and warmth and body, some dynamics and, well ... "love". They aren't dry or clinical and not colored or fatiguing at all. Were the interconnects closer to neutral than my Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Ovals? Maybe, but a saxophone through my AP's had burnish and brass and a naturaleness that the Nagy cables didn't. Same for the Nagy speaker cables against my Jon Risch 89259 cross connects and his power cord against my Kaplan copper HE. We also compared the Nagy IC's to MAC Palladiums and a set of Grover's. Pete brought his Western Electric braided power cord over as well.

You can see my system details here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;area=browse;system=439

In the week leading up to last Saturday I tried all combinations of these cables, burning them in for 24 hours and swapping them around all over the place. So there were a lot of combinations tried and I have a pretty good feeling on what they are all about.

Which were best for me in my system? I really liked the digital cable over my John Risch DIY, but I don't use my DAC anymore since I got my Ayre CX7e-MP. It did bring out more sparkle and detail and speed in my modded ART DI/O, which can be a little dark and veiled sometimes. I also liked the interconnects between my phono step up (Hagerman Piccolo) and my phono stage (Hagerman Trumpet). They were very quiet and let a lot of information from that low level signal pass through.

I'm hoping that MikeC, Andy, Triode Pete, Emil, Bill and Toobluvr will post what they heard this Saturday also. The cables went home with John (Toobluvr) so I'm sure he will post his thoughts once he gets time to try them out.

As I said in the beginning, these cables are very nice, especially at the price point. I think it is really a matter of taste and system tuning as to which flavor you are looking for in your system.

Enjoy,
Bob
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2010, 03:46 pm by BobM »

mdconnelly

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:24 pm »
Bob, how did the Nagy power cords stack up against your Kaplans?

BobM

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2010, 02:46 pm »
Same flavor as the rest of his cables ... tight, fast, light sounding. The Kaplan is more robust and dynamic. It puts more flesh on the bone, so to speak.

StereoNut

« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:28 pm »
I was also at Rob's on Saturday for the Nagy part of the listening day.  I can't really add much to what Bob has already said because I echo his impressions for the most part.  Overall the Nagy cables were tight, fast and maybe a bit forward sounding.  They made a good impression until you got to hear some of the other choices; then they sounded a bit thin in comparison.  Bob's original cables seemed to "flesh things out" more.  The sax on the cut that was played sounded fuller with Bob's cables, almost like the player pushed more air through his horn when he played. The Nagys had less body and sounded less relaxed, especially on the saxophone work.

Yet to be fair (and if I remember correctly) the Nagys were also the least expensive cables in the system, so value-wise they have a lot to offer.  Of course, system synergy comes into play here as well.  I am sure that there will be certain combinations of equipment that will benefit from the Nagy cables and will come to life with it.

SN

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:33 pm »
Yet to be fair (and if I remember correctly) the Nagys were also the least expensive cables in the system, so value-wise they have a lot to offer. 
SN

Don't you remember the original tittle of the thread?  Nagy made it clear that cost was not an issue.  The Nagys are the best in the world!!!

Judging from this thread, that's NOT the case.  Go figure!

BobM

« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:45 pm »
Some people may consider the extra warmth a coloration or an artifact. This is one test in one system. Let's give the other auditioner's a chance to hear and speak for them selves before we make an overall judgement or begin burning Nagy at the stake  :icon_twisted:

gerald porzio

« Reply #7 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:42 pm »
Warmth? When you proclaim you're the best, you have to expect your feet to be held to the fire, metaphorically speaking.

mdconnelly

« Reply #8 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:20 pm »
The terms 'more robust and dynamic', ''flesh on the bones' and 'fuller' are terms that could mean coloration or could mean better depth and definition and the answer is most likely system dependent.   But, what I find more telling is the use of the terms 'light sounding' and 'thinner' rather than 'more neutral' when describing the Nagys.   

But I agree - I think all parties need to weigh in as well as all those still on the tour.   

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 12 Apr 2010, 08:34 pm »
I was there and echoecho the above sentiments. Bob has a good set of ears and we ran through a 3 hour cable comparison. The main thing Id point out is that they lacked a little dimesionality. When I first came in I was impressed. They sounded smooth and easy to listen to. As we took the Nagys out and replaced them with Bobs cables your heard what you were missing. But if you didnt you could pretty easily get along with them. PCs were my least favorite. Added a shoutiness. Overall a good value.
Mike

And I passed on trying them out, as I heard them and am presently burning in some other new cables.

decal

« Reply #10 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:19 pm »
So I take it you all voted NO to Nagy's being "the best in the world" :dunno:

viggen

« Reply #11 on: 12 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
Well, you guys obviously don't have Goldmund standard equipment...   :lol:

Honestly, it's a cable like any other cable which will either work for you or it won't which is the purpose of the tour to let you figure it out.

Of course, some of you really might think the tour is to prove the cable is or is not the best in the world.  I am jealous that I don't have such luxury in time to waste.

toobluvr

« Reply #12 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:13 pm »
C'mon guys.....get real.  You can't really believe that Mr Nagy was serious with that proclamation!   In audio, noone in their right mind can say anything is the absolute best in all situations and for all listeners. 

I never for a single second expected it to be the best across the board.  I think it's kindof silly to hold him to that standard,  regardless of his bravado.  I know others will disagree, just because they wanna play "gotcha".  But come on,  we all know exactly what he was doing.

He's probably sitting back laughing at all the oh-so-serious audiophools going apoplectic over his audacity--his unmitigated gall--in making such a bold statement!  He stirred the pot, he fanned the flames, he primed the pump and he got exactly what he wanted.  That is, he created buzz around and generated interest in his product.   Plain and simple.  Nothing more, nothing less.   Some perspective, gentlemen.

Personally, I will think he has done well if he provides at a reasonable cost a well made cable that offers resolution, space, musicality and a tonal balance that works well in some systems.  That is the standard I will hold him to.

If his cable accomplishes that, rather than seeking to excoriate him for his bravado and over the top rhetoric, I think we should be applauding him for offering another good value option for us the consumer.  Like many in the cable / tweek industry he could have sought to bedazzle us with snake oil mumbo-jumbo, and line his pockets with excessive profits.  His outrageous claims aside, I find his direct and no-nonsense speak kindof refreshing.

Just some rambling thoughts, FWIW.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #13 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:19 pm »
toobluvr beat me to it.

I presumed from the outset that the "best in the world" claim was tongue in cheek and a bit of self-promotional fun.

If I'm wrong and Norbert meant it, then that puts him in the same camp as those who are seriously attempting to take him to task on it.

That's pretty scary. :o

toobluvr

« Reply #14 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:30 pm »

I'm hoping that MikeC, Andy, Triode Pete, Emil, Bill and Toobluvr will post what they heard this Saturday also. The cables went home with John (Toobluvr) so I'm sure he will post his thoughts once he gets time to try them out.

I arrived to the party late on Sat, so I didn't hear them in Bob's system.  Ruined my day!   :icon_lol:

I do have the cables now.   My system is in a significant state of flux (burning in new woofers, new phono stage, and auditioning several amps) but I will get to it ASAP and do the best I can.

Who's next on the list?  My speakers have strange binding posts that require bare wire so I can't use the SC, nor can I use the the balanced IC or the digital cable.  So if someone local wants to try them, get in touch.

John

PS:  It was great to finally meet some of you local guys in the flesh and put a face / real name to the AC avatar / handle.      :thumb:   :beer: 

*Scotty*

« Reply #15 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:48 pm »
I have said this somewhere before, but even if this cable is perfect, 20% of the time someone will complain about there being too much bass and another 20% will complain about the highs being too hot. That leaves 60% that are happy with the sound, because the systems into which the cables are installed are not"perfect".
Scotty

gerald porzio

« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2010, 11:57 pm »
"C'mon guys.....get real.  You can't really believe that Mr Nagy was serious with that proclamation!   In audio, noone in their right mind can say anything is the absolute best in all situations and for all listeners.

I never for a single second expected it to be the best across the board.  I think it's kindof silly to hold him to that standard,  regardless of his bravado.  I know others will disagree, just because they wanna play "gotcha".  But come on,  we all know exactly what he was doing."

Some audiophiles have no sense of humor when it comes to sacred cows or cables.

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:43 am »
I want to thank BobM, StereoNut, and mcullinan for leaving quick reviews. I'm looking forward to hearing from all of you on the list.

I would like to clarify something you guys brought up... When you say light/thin sounding, do you mean a lack of bass, or just light because the midrange/lower treble is either too present, or too laid back? One of the biggest problems in a lot of audio equipment is that the upper midrange is too forward. It's especially true for a lot of speaker manufacturers (inaccurate crossover slopes calculated from theoretical calculators and not real life Thiele and Small parameter calculations using added mass, no time/phase alignment, no Zobel, no baffle step, etc.)

A lot of people use dull sounding cables to kill some of that brightness/shoutiness of equipment. At this point the cables act as tuners and not as something that's supposed to transfer the signal with 100% integrity. My design goals were not to make something sound less bright, more natural because it sounds less bright, etc. My design goals were to make a signal transfer with as close to zero loss as possible.

John151

« Reply #18 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:55 am »
"C'mon guys.....get real.  You can't really believe that Mr Nagy was serious with that proclamation!   In audio, noone in their right mind can say anything is the absolute best in all situations and for all listeners.

I never for a single second expected it to be the best across the board.  I think it's kindof silly to hold him to that standard,  regardless of his bravado.  I know others will disagree, just because they wanna play "gotcha".  But come on,  we all know exactly what he was doing."

Some audiophiles have no sense of humor when it comes to sacred cows or cables.

Not sure what Nagy's goal was with the "best in the world" claim, but it sure did generate a lot of attention. 

Occam

« Reply #19 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:22 am »
Norbert,

I would like to clarify something you guys brought up... When you say light/thin sounding, do you mean a lack of bass, or just light because the midrange/lower treble is either too present, or too laid back? One of the biggest problems in a lot of audio equipment is that the upper midrange is too forward. It's especially true for a lot of speaker manufacturers (inaccurate crossover slopes calculated from theoretical calculators and not real life Thiele and Small parameter calculations using added mass, no time/phase alignment, no Zobel, no baffle step, etc.)

But none of that applies to BobM's system. You've not heard it, as if you had, you wouldn't be making that 'hypothetical'. Bob's system is rather well sorted out, to say the least. Bob did leave a link to his system description.

A lot of people use dull sounding cables to kill some of that brightness/shoutiness of equipment. At this point the cables act as tuners and not as something that's supposed to transfer the signal with 100% integrity. My design goals were not to make something sound less bright, more natural because it sounds less bright, etc. My design goals were to make a signal transfer with as close to zero loss as possible.

Again, there is no need for these rationalizations. Your cables acquitted themselves quite well, especially given the price. The power cables Bob compared yours to were NOT designed to 'kill some of that brightness/shoutiness of equipment', rather it was designed to fully produce that brashness that characterizes properly reproduced brass, warts and all. Same applies for the rest of spectrum. If I may be so bold, I would even assert that this can be done with non- aerospace  qualified wire and cable. But I salute your confidence. Its your belief that your creations are the 'bestest ever' , that will make your future (and no doubt, justifiably more expensive) cables even better.

Kudos,
Paul