NAGYS AUDIO Cable Tour Impressions!!!!

Gopher

Re: NAGYS AUDIO Cable Tour Impressions!!!!
« Reply #60 on: 14 May 2010, 07:07 pm »
We've got a problem on the tour. 

I didn't want to send that many cables uninsured so I declared a real value but called it a gift.  Now customs wants $200 to release the package to John...   

Anyone know wtf to do from here?

werd

« Reply #61 on: 14 May 2010, 07:13 pm »
We've got a problem on the tour. 

I didn't want to send that many cables uninsured so I declared a real value but called it a gift.  Now customs wants $200 to release the package to John...   

Anyone know wtf to do from here?

What carrier did you use?

Gopher

« Reply #62 on: 14 May 2010, 07:25 pm »
USPS is the courier. 

Yeah, I won't be paying customs dues for them.  My buddy suggested he refuse the package and let them return them to me, I guess that is an option but isn't really fair to John...

NagysAudio

• http://www.nagysaudio.com
« Reply #63 on: 14 May 2010, 07:25 pm »
Tell customs to ship the cables back to you and then resend them. What else can you do?

werd

« Reply #64 on: 14 May 2010, 07:29 pm »
Cables are not going to get lost or broken.... don't declare anything at the border unless you want to get dinged with their outrageous brokerage fees, especially with UPS.

$0.00 dollar amount... If Nagy was allowing them to go over the border i guessing he was also assuming the risk of shipping to do so (which isnt much with cables).

werd

« Reply #65 on: 14 May 2010, 07:31 pm »
I would make sure that customs will still return that package.  They might confiscate it.   :dunno:

Its not held by the Canadian customs but by UPS brokerage house.... There are no customs on this. UPS does this to discourage ground shipments. There are no brokerage fees on airshipments by UPS.

werd

« Reply #66 on: 14 May 2010, 07:35 pm »
I would still make sure that UPS will return the freight w/o charge.  I'm just sayin'

I am sure there would be a return shipment charge to Gopher if it came back. He needs to get intouch with UPS, i would not let this run its course with out contact. UPS are dicks they will let it sit in their brokerage house for months without direction....

JakeJ

« Reply #67 on: 14 May 2010, 09:23 pm »
USPS is the courier. 

Am I missing something here?  When did it go from US Postal Service (USPS) to United Parcel Service (UPS)?

Gopher

« Reply #68 on: 14 May 2010, 10:00 pm »
I don't think there is a positive ending for this one.  I just got an email that John paid the import fees.  Not sure what to do at this point, but that is a bad situation for him.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #69 on: 15 May 2010, 02:12 am »

You might want to rethink that statement WC.  :eyebrows:

I thought it was shipped by UPS...

Oh well, AFAIK the post office doesn't and hasn't ever charged me duty / brokerage fees.  However by law they do have to collect PST and GST on the posted value; that is not to be confused with brokerage fees.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2010, 03:15 am by Wind Chaser »

mjosef

« Reply #70 on: 15 May 2010, 02:20 am »
Thoughts...they have a way of tripping us up. Careful.
 :thumb:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #71 on: 15 May 2010, 08:00 pm »
When are you going to post your impressions of the cables?

Gopher's impressions are right here.

Anand.

pjchappy

« Reply #72 on: 16 May 2010, 01:35 am »
I removed posts clearly off topic.  Left those re shipping issues, as I felt the were relevant.

Folks, be mindful of the posting guidelines.  This is the third time I've had to intervene in this thread.  There won't be anymore warnings before further administrative action is taken against individual Members.

Paul

MaxCast

« Reply #73 on: 16 May 2010, 02:16 am »
thanks Paul.  :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #74 on: 22 May 2010, 08:54 pm »
Hi all,
It's been seven days since the last post.  By my count seven people have had the cables but we've had only five impressions posted (although toobluvr had technical difficulties and bowed out).  Hopefully the person who has them now will be able to add his or her impressions to the thread.
This post is just a quick check on progress.
Jake

mclsound

« Reply #75 on: 24 May 2010, 09:40 pm »
I will have a full disloser shortly.
The cables and equipment have all been pictured in my gallery.
But to start off with this.
My Reviews were done on a apples to apples review as I would always expect.This is not a $30,000 amp comparison to a pair of $8000 monoblocks with $70,000 speakers and $70,000 SACD player etc.!!
This has a little bit of tubes but lots of solid state.
Equipment used(all pics in my gallery):
Pre/pro-Krell HTS 7.1
Sources-Raysonic CD 128 with bugal  boys tubes(2ch),Krell SACD Standard,OPPO bdp83(DVD audio in Digital-rca),Denon 3930ci
Amps-Krell KSA 250-low/Classe CA 400-mid/hi,Classe CA 300(bridged mono)-CC,Audio Pro 3400-rears(totally temparary),Crown K2-Subs.
Speakers-PMC and DIY
Cables-RCA-Nordost Red Dawn,Mettalurgy GA0's w/WBT locking RCA,Silver Better Cables
XLR-Van Damn and Straightwire Mastro
PC-Wireworld Silver and Classe upgrade(Cardas)
speaker-Van Damn,Monster "M" series,Dare
Music
2ch-Madonna,Micheal Jackson,Doobie Bros.,War
SACD-several Telarc world music,Ray Charles,Elton John
DVD A-Frank Sinatra
More to come
« Last Edit: 26 May 2010, 08:09 am by mclsound »

JakeJ

« Reply #76 on: 25 May 2010, 12:08 am »
Thanks for the update, mclsound.  Looking forward to your impressions.

mclsound

« Reply #77 on: 26 May 2010, 08:49 am »
Well as you all know Fred contacted me with the shipping cost and i sent him some money,but when they arrived,on a late Friday afternoon ,the post office wanted $192 for boarder costs...I paid because time was of the essence when you are gone a week at a time..also kudos to Fred for his appologies and friendliness..Shit Happens
The small brown package as you know contained 3 ziplock bags,one had 2 pair RCA interconnects and a rca digital,one had 2 sets of xlr and one had the 2 PC's while the speaker cables were on their own.I was a little surprised at the size(gauge) of the cables,well when compared to some I have....BUT dont let this fool you.
The presentation of the cables appearance was well built for sure....so we started off with a stress test,first we through the XLR"s onto a busy road to test it for puishment-it passed since no one was on the road that day?Then we tied the speaker cables onto a tree and a 4x4 to test for tensile strength,well the truck ran out of fuel at the last minute so we passed the cables that day.We thought we would just go listen to them next.
These cables are very well built,and have a quality of pride put into their smallest details when one looks them over.
As anyone with several components know it takes time to impliment cables,making sure all 2ch is covered,then SACD,then DVD A and home theater..........So I got down to it

more to come

Gopher

« Reply #78 on: 26 May 2010, 01:56 pm »
I'm sorry again for the border costs.  I'll never insure/declare an international tour item again (will probably skip a tour all together in the future if it requires international shipping).  Hopefully you have enjoyed the cables at least.   

I wonder if Naggy will honor his offer of deducting shipping related expenses to the purchase of a cable as you're half way to the price of a 2m pair of speaker cables...

mclsound

« Reply #79 on: 30 May 2010, 12:30 pm »
sorry guys(work)..no worries Fred....you should have the cables soon Werd-they were sent out Tuesday!
First off the RCA interconnects were my favorites.I used them on my Krell SACD Standard and they were king against the Metallurgy G-0(let me also stress that the Mettalurgy cables with locking WBT's are a pain in my ass since day 1-they are big and awkward in tight spaces(sacd)and the locking rca's LOCK and are a bugger to unlock...these may be okay for amps but are a nightmare with SACD)...... and my Nordost Red Dawns/silver Better Cables.
The Naggy's(Ng) were small in size and they were fast and detailed which is what SACD is all about.When I first got the Ng out I laughed at there size but when i inserted them with EASE into my cable jungle I realized that size isn't always better(LOL) and in this case so true.
I started off with Elton John's(Madman Across the Water) "Tiny Dancer"-this is a good vocal piano combo with great flow between the man and instument...the keys were sharp (not in a bad way) and had great stop and go ability...although this is not the best SACD recording for percussion and bass it was good for vocal and piano.................................. ..
Next was Ray Charles(Basie Swings) "Oh What a Beatiful Morning"-this one was a step up with keys,vocal and the band all of which sounded great.Once your ears and amps warm up you enjoy more volume for sure with this swinger.The percussion and horn section all come out with incredible dynamics and the Ng really showed their speed and control here.They lift the sheet off of the mid/hi but not to much to create a sssshrill tone in the top end.This is a much better recording for all instuments and the sound runs pretty much the entire SACD length.
Lastly was 2 Telarc SACD Samplers(1 & 7) comprised of jazz and world music.
First song on Sampler one-"Moanin"-this simply kicks ass and will show any weakness in your system with the Ng's in play...Percussion at LARGE SPL's all around you is what I am talking about.BASS that will skip a heartbeat and stop/go speed and dynamics were all excellent with alot of songs on these highly recommended discs.Nothing beats the vocals of Ladysmith Black Mambazo's "The Way We Do It" and the Naggys brought out the depth of this African vocal harmany epic with a sense of complete control of both the mids and lows and these were the spots that needed it with this song.
I could go on but I think you get the picture.I had the Naggy's in Front-L,R CC and in Subwoofer of my SACD.These cables were much more controlled with less sshrillness than the Nordost Red Dawn.The Ng's had better bass and speed than the Metellurgy and were all around just flat out more dynamic in all ways than my Silver Better Cables.
There was "NO TUBES" at all in this review(in 2ch only later).And for the Dollar value,I will recommend the Naggy RCA interconnects any day over G-0's or Red dawn's and all are about the same price although Naggys are new and the others would be used...or close.
All songs were played at low SPL(55-85db) first and some songs replayed at high SPL(85-120db) for this review..
For these cables some name decals would proffessionalize the cables,better pkging also but i suppose this would up the price.
Again ...this is apples to apples review ,not $150 vs $1500 and lots of solid state.Nothing against tubes but just a different angle.
Highly Recomended
thanks John
more to come: