Blackmore build... something wicked this way comes!!!!

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
Re: Blackmore build... something wicked this way comes!!!!
« Reply #40 on: 14 Apr 2010, 03:14 am »
Thanks Alex!!

If I am not mistaken, and I'm sure Scott will chime in, I think they are the same basket? And if that is the case, they can be easily swapped out for a listening session..

It will make a little more sense tomorrow when I get the baffles made as Mark stopped buy and dropped of these babies   :eyebrows:

Hi guys,  Love the looks and don't really understand the design.  I have a pair of dx2s that have been sitting around for a couple of years.  If you make 2 pair could we try my lowthers in one?   I can bring them out and play all you want for as long as you want since I have been listening to my Cain and Cain Abbeys for a few years.  Alex

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2010, 09:43 pm »
I'm in love with these the more and more I work on them, baffles are made and holes are drilled.. still waiting on the round over bit to finish the spine them time for bodywork...

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #42 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm »
Randy:
Lookin' gooood and I like the design with the woofer even better. Hope you win the room--let me know if I can help.
Chris H.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #43 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:58 pm »
Hey Randy,

Your imagination is beyond my comprehension! I was wondering; when you come up with an idea is it primarily a looks issue, or do you consider the issues which will allow the speaker to perform at it's best? I am suggesting issues regarding vibration, diffraction, structural integrity, etc.

Thanks for sharing your talent. :thumb:

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #44 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:15 am »
Thanks for the compliments..

The way I go about build pieces is that I use a set equation. After interviewing a client, the room, equipment used, music listened to etc determines the drivers I go with. After the drivers are determined, I then come up with the design..

In all pieces, I go to great lengths to lesson Enclosure resonance while also creating a very ridged structure. Lessening tactile energy transfer as well as create very round and organic baffles to lesson diffraction issues. I also go to great lengths mechanically time aligning drivers as well..

Here are some internal shots of enclosed speakers to give you an idea on the inner detail..

Hey Randy,

Your imagination is beyond my comprehension! I was wondering; when you come up with an idea is it primarily a looks issue, or do you consider the issues which will allow the speaker to perform at it's best? I am suggesting issues regarding vibration, diffraction, structural integrity, etc.

Thanks for sharing your talent. :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #45 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:21 am »
Hi Randy,

Unfortunately I couldn't log onto the Lowther UK website to verify but I'm pretty sure the DX have the same basket as the PM driver. So yes, I think you could swap drivers out without any issues.

Hey, a HUGE word of warning! Those magnets on the PM drivers are extremely powerful and attract ANY metal shavings. More often than not those shavings get sucked into the motor at the phase plug since Lowthers don't use a traditional dust cap. When you first apply a signal to them, if you hear a scraping or distortion turn off the signal IMMEDIATELY. those metal shavings can slice through the windings because of the extremely narrow gap between the motor and pole piece.

If that happens, give me a call. I can remove the magnet, clean the shavings and realign the drivers. Reason I bring this up is I've had it happen before. I had my drivers in my workshop and they sucked up some shavings. Fortunately it didn't cut the windings but it gave me a good scare.

You are best off taking (maybe) some cellophane and wrapping the front front of the drivers to keep shavings, dust and dirt out of the driver.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #46 on: 15 Apr 2010, 02:26 am »
Thanks Scott!!!!

They have only seen air to take pics and make the baffles... but I will make sure to keep them in the box and away from scthuff....

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #47 on: 16 Apr 2010, 03:18 am »
Thanks Chris, in regards to the room... you can put in a good word   :green:

But I'll let you know what happens as I'll be asking you to join the fun    :eyebrows:

Randy:
Lookin' gooood and I like the design with the woofer even better. Hope you win the room--let me know if I can help.
Chris H.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #48 on: 16 Apr 2010, 06:00 pm »
OK, the 1 inch round over bit cam in yesterday and I went to town today.. Also all the pieces are now glued and nailed into place and I'll let dry overnight and start with veneering the inlays this weekend then off to all the finish work to prep for paint..

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #49 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:38 pm »
Took a little break this weekend but still managed to veneer all the inserts along with fiber-glassing the baffle to the stand and created a nice transition. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #50 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:20 pm »
  A true craftsman. Beautiful work.

charles

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #51 on: 19 Apr 2010, 02:26 pm »
Thanks Charles!!!!

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #52 on: 23 Apr 2010, 05:12 am »
Hey all, progress has been a little laxed this week as momma has been on vacation and I have been spending as much family time as I can... plus my little girl turned 5 yesterday   :cry:... so things have been a little crazy..

but I put 2 layers of sealer on the inlays and have been blocking the pieces in preparation for shooting the slick sand on them..

wedweb

« Reply #53 on: 24 Apr 2010, 03:40 am »
Too bad you couldn't have those binding points moved on center between the cradle arms and in line with the neck of the speaker brace.  :eyebrows:

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #54 on: 29 Apr 2010, 04:56 am »
Another great night.. All the inserts are finished as it is about a 5 day processes with allowing each coat to dry properly. All final block sanding is done and will be laying down some high build primer tomorrow!!

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #55 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:03 pm »
What is the blue/gray all over the MDF?  Did you sand off the original MDF primer and add your own, or is that some kind of resin?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #56 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:07 pm »
Bondo/filler I'd assume.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #57 on: 29 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm »
It's called duraglass.. I never use regular filler as I am also worried about cracking and the longevity along with shrinking..

Plus I minimize all the variances of products applied to eliminate any issues..

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #58 on: 4 May 2010, 11:34 pm »
Got a coat of slicksand sprayed today.... looking purdy   :o

Don_S

« Reply #59 on: 4 May 2010, 11:55 pm »

From Wikipedia:

Kokopelli is a fertility deity, usually depicted as a humpbacked flute player (often with a huge phallus and feathers or antenna-like protrusions on his head), who has been venerated by some Native American cultures in the Southwestern United States. Like most fertility deities, Kokopelli presides over both childbirth and agriculture. He is also a trickster god and represents the spirit of music.