Blackmore build... something wicked this way comes!!!!

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Blackmore build... something wicked this way comes!!!!
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jun 2010, 12:37 am »
What a sweet looking setup!  :drool:

nicksgem10s

« Reply #101 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:16 am »
Amazing results on this build.  Very cool looking system.  I have the exact same audio rack  :thumb:.

I bet the system sounds great.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #102 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:03 am »
thanks again guys...

a few things to add.. IMO they sound better then they look and once the next stage is taken with the integration of some Lambda dipole 15's it will only get better as the only weakness is in the 100-400ish range from the harmonics from the 10's in the current setup..

but I want to thank Mark again for the opportunity and I hope to be able to do the same for others as this type of setup is special...

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #103 on: 16 Jun 2010, 02:04 am »
Blackmore, very cool setup. Can't wait to hear more from you as you spend time with them

Hey there Randy,
 I have some orders to finish up on the benches but thinking of starting things off with a preamp that would follow along the same line as the Blackmore V2 speakers if it's okay with you. I am thinking a mate to these speaker so I hope you plan on keeping a pair around. Since I don't sleep much anymore, it has given some time to come up with a couple design options. Once I start, I will start a thread to keep people posted on the progress.

Once it is complete, we will only need to figure a way to get them together for a photo shoot. I guess I will have to talk to Blackmore about the name as I like the "Blackmore B-X"

Hmmmm.... maybe a Blackmore Series.....Nah..It might go to his head :lol:

:eyebrows:

drummerwill

« Reply #104 on: 16 Jun 2010, 01:50 pm »

Yo Mark
  Very nice, bet they sound great!
   You are a very lucky guy.

Have fun
 Willie

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #105 on: 16 Jun 2010, 04:38 pm »
Going back tonight for more fine tuning and listening enjoyment... even bringing pop's with me to hang out  :icon_lol:

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #106 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm »
Thanks again Mark for having us out last night... my old man had a blast and loved the setup... and after the getting them a little wider and the new xover point they are incredible..

I am also happy you are only 5 minutes away...lol    :eyebrows:

Blackmore

« Reply #107 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:05 pm »
This morning's listening is Leonard Cohen's New Skin for the Old Ceremony  Seems appropriate for the rainy start of the day.  Big improvement with the higher crossover.  I've figured out how to make the slopes asymmetrical and that helped quite a bit with the woofer.  :duh: :duh:  I also found that there was a high frequency roll-off programmed into the Behringer.  I guess that was to keep the low impedance of the Innersound panel less taxing for the amp.  Maybe that's what was bothering me about the top end. Glad you dad could come by; he's a good listener and was helpful in the placement.

The party is definitely on as soon as the a/c is fixed and we can keep the tubes cool.  I still remember the "Fosters and Fostex" party 4 years ago.  We about killed marktwain getting those big horns up in the apartment in the 97 degree heat and the apartment was about 85 degrees that night.  :icon_lol: 

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #108 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:07 pm »
awesome... so that means they are only sounding better...lol....  :eyebrows:

Scott F.

« Reply #109 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:30 am »
Well, I made it by Mark's to give the...OK, what are we officially calling them?...a listen.

First, Randy...bang up job on the builds.  :thumb:  Pictures do not do these justice. They look extremely cool in person.

Mark started us listening by crossing the Lowthers over to the Innersound at around 260Hz with 24dB slopes. Just to suit my tastes in bass, we trimmed the bass bins back about 3dB and we started tweaking the XO points and slopes from there.

After about six or eight different configurations, we ended up crossing the drivers at 330Hz with a 6dB slope on the Lowther and a 24dB (I think) on the Innersound.

After listening to tons of different music, all I can say is this shouldn't work...but it does. Not only does it work, it works extremely well. After playing with the toe in a bit, the image snapped into place. The soundstage is nice a deep and I think with a bit of rearranging (moving the innersounds back into the corners and widening the stance of the Lowthers) I really think Mark could achieve a ginormous soundstage.

Bottom line, the Lowthers on a stick (now completely transformed by the Hammer build) sound awesome...and look even better  :green:

Blackmore

« Reply #110 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:43 am »
Thanks Scott!

Here's a pic from this afternoon just to prove it happened.

Scott F.

« Reply #111 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:44 am »
HELP!!! I'm being sucked into a Lowther vortex  :lol:

Sarmck

« Reply #112 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:51 am »
Mark,

Congrats on the completed build for the "formerly know as" Lowthers-on-a-stick (kind of that Prince/Purple Rain thing).  I'm sure the last few days have been like having a new component in the system. 

HH - Fantastic job on the stands.

Ron

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #113 on: 19 Jun 2010, 03:59 am »
LOL... that rocks... well I'm glad you like them Scott!!!! and I am glad that Mark figured out the processor so that true flexibility can be achieved... and yes, the widening has already been discussed since I delivered them...  :green:

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #114 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:01 am »
Mark,

Congrats on the completed build for the "formerly know as" Lowthers-on-a-stick (kind of that Prince/Purple Rain thing).  I'm sure the last few days have been like having a new component in the system. 

HH - Fantastic job on the stands.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I can't wait to transform the next pair into a true 2way with the dual 6.5's and passive radiators    :eyebrows:

Blackmore

« Reply #115 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:05 am »
I should also mention Chris Hoff's (Balanced Power Technologies) help.  He has such great ears!  Thanks for the help with placement and getting the crossover work started.  I know you weren't entirely satisfied with them Wednesday night, but I think I'm getting closer.  I'll get a better review worked up soon and post some listening impressions.

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #116 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:16 am »
I knew once your were able to tune the drivers individually it would be a different ball game as you were fighting the subs...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #117 on: 19 Jun 2010, 04:40 am »
Looks like magic there Scott.....

I hope one day to hear them Mark....enjoy !! :beer:

Chris

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #118 on: 26 Jun 2010, 01:30 am »
Well, got a set of PM6A's coming to play with and develop the Blackmore V2's... very exciting !!!!!!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #119 on: 26 Jun 2010, 03:25 am »
I'll be watching for further developments :drool: