New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk
« Reply #160 on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:52 pm »
FedEx just dropped mine off a few minutes ago.  Thanks Ray for the fast turnaround and shipping!  :D

The Nighthawk is likely to be a hit with people who are really cramped for space.  This thing is way tiny...and is dwarfed by the TC-760LC which is also small.

--Jerome

WGH

« Reply #161 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:09 pm »
WOW!   Are you saying you went through 3 recharge cycles without listening, and then 50 hrs of listening?!   

That's a long time.  I needed a recharge after 2 days, so 3 cycles with constant on is 6 days, and then 50 hrs of listening is another say 15 days (listening for about 3 hrs per day).  21 days total.    YOWZA!!    :o

I have been following the buzz about the Nighthawk, it is a fun read, not that I am thinking of changing because the Cornet2 keeps me happy.

toobluvr - would you like to borrow my Hagtech FryKleaner/Inverse RIAA filter? The combo will burn in a phono preamp in a few days. I used it to break in the Mundorf SIO's in the Cornet2 and now it sits unused. PM me if interested.

Wayne

Sonny

« Reply #162 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:38 pm »
OK.  We're not thinking the same thing.  Glad that was cleared up.

The battery is probably my biggest concern with mine.  It sounds great!  Don't get me wrong.  But I can't expect this battery to last 10+ years, regardless of what the battery manufacturer claims.

Just thinking out loud.

Seriously though, think of it, do you have any current equipment that you've had for 10 plus years?  If not, the battery is not an issue.  I don't know of any audiophile that has a component for 10+ years.
Tuan

JakeJ

« Reply #163 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:47 pm »
Well, won't it be interesting to hear what Jerome has to say over the next couple of days.

As to toobluvr's assessment, it's just possible the Vista Phono-1 is best...in his system and to his ears.  But thanks to his stubborn trait he'll likely keep playing with it for at least a few more weeks before a final yea or nay is announced.  I have a singular understanding of stubbornness being Dutch by descent.  :eyebrows:

I don't have near as many hours on mine as DARTH AUDIO or others so I'll keep at it.

toobluvr

« Reply #164 on: 12 Apr 2010, 04:57 pm »
Oh trust me...I am stubborn and thorough in these matters.  I will exhaust all possibilities before surrendering.

Don't get the wrong idea, the NH sounds very good.  I probably just spoke prematurely.  Still early yet....it  is definitely coming around.  Probably just a case of unrealistic expectations early on, and impatience on my part to immediately and fully experience the sonic bliss of my NH bretheren!   :lol:

I hear tremendous potential from the bird.  Things just need to develop a bit more.  I'm not worried, I'm confident it will be great!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #165 on: 12 Apr 2010, 05:21 pm »
Sir John of Long Beach / toobluvr;

I'll go out on a limb and say that, in the end after burn-in (real or imagined), you'll likely prefer the Nighthawk.

Dual mono, battery power, and adjustable loading are powerful enticements in it's favor.

However, I owned the original Musical Surroundings Phenomena (dul mono, battery powered, too, with adjustability) and it was quite dead sounding  :dunno:

But, dual mono, battery and adjustable loading a pretty persuasive arguments for enjoying it over the Vista unit. I won't listen to vinyl without dual mono anymore (preferably right back to the power supplies in true dual mono fashion)

John

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #166 on: 12 Apr 2010, 05:38 pm »
Well, won't it be interesting to hear what Jerome has to say over the next couple of days.

Probably not. :lol:  And it will be longer than a few days.  For the next week or so I am waiting on a new pair of speakers from Audiokinesis.  Until then I am speakerless.  :icon_frown:

I consider myself to be a great judge of what sounds good to me.  I'm not so good, however, at deciding what sounds good for someone else.

--Jerome

tomjtx

« Reply #167 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:04 pm »
Sir John of Long Beach / toobluvr;

I'll go out on a limb and say that, in the end after burn-in (real or imagined), you'll likely prefer the Nighthawk.

Dual mono, battery power, and adjustable loading are powerful enticements in it's favor.

However, I owned the original Musical Surroundings Phenomena (dul mono, battery powered, too, with adjustability) and it was quite dead sounding  :dunno:

But, dual mono, battery and adjustable loading a pretty persuasive arguments for enjoying it over the Vista unit. I won't listen to vinyl without dual mono anymore (preferably right back to the power supplies in true dual mono fashion)

John

X2.

Also for me Johns, the NH is very live sounding.
This is a sonic trait of RSA gear, punchy, dynamic and very live sounding.

I'm about at least 300hrs in now. I keep liking this unit more and more.
It sounded great from the beginning for me.
Regardless of whether or not I believe in burn in, the key for me is whether I still like a piece of gear after the newness wears off. The NH is still way more than likeable after a LOT of listening.

Every time I come back to it I congratulate myself on buying it :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #168 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:57 pm »
Probably not. :lol:  And it will be longer than a few days.  For the next week or so I am waiting on a new pair of speakers from Audiokinesis.  Until then I am speakerless.  :icon_frown:

I consider myself to be a great judge of what sounds good to me.  I'm not so good, however, at deciding what sounds good for someone else.

--Jerome

That's all the community can ask.  Each member's input does carry weight and most of us can perceive some value after you voice your opinion given the context of your system and experiences.  I have read more than a few of your posts, Jerome, and find you quite capable of expressing yourself in a manner that we can all grasp.  My apologies for not catching the fact that Duke's transducers are a few more days out.  I humbly suggest you get accustomed to the speakers before you evaluate the Nighthawk.  Just seems more logical to do so.

Regards,
Jake

PS - I am hopeful Duke shows at RMAF this year so I can get a taste of his sound.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #169 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:35 pm »
I have read more than a few of your posts, Jerome, and find you quite capable of expressing yourself in a manner that we can all grasp.

Oh, I have no doubt that people can grasp what I write.  Whether or not anything I have to say about audio is useful, however, is a different kettle of fish!  :D

My apologies for not catching the fact that Duke's transducers are a few more days out.  I humbly suggest you get accustomed to the speakers before you evaluate the Nighthawk.  Just seems more logical to do so.

No worries.  I suspect that it will be a month or so before I have anything substantive to add about the Nighthawk.  The design scores a lot of points with me, as John has already noted....dual mono, battery power, adjustable gain and loading.  These were the main reasons that I bought it.  And while it comes in a small package you can tell just by handling it that the Nighthawk has the usual tough-as-nails build quality for which Ray is well known.

--Jerome

Ericus Rex

« Reply #170 on: 12 Apr 2010, 10:54 pm »
Seriously though, think of it, do you have any current equipment that you've had for 10 plus years?  If not, the battery is not an issue.  I don't know of any audiophile that has a component for 10+ years.
Tuan

Yes, seriously.  I have owned (and still own!) several components for 10+ years.  Anyway,  there's no way you can get the hours claimed out of this battery.  That's just not how rechargeables work.  You'll get a 48 hour charge for a while, then it's 45 then it's 42, etc.  By the 500th cycle you may only get a handful of hours per charge.  10 years?  No way.  5 years is more likely, maybe less if you do lots of listening.
Am I being foolish?  Perhaps.  But I think it's something to consider.

Gopher

« Reply #171 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:34 am »
Jerome (and others), what cartridge will you be using to feed the Nighthawk?  IIRC you had a higher end Dynavector and were contemplating a Koetsu for a while.  I on the other hand just sold a Koetsu and am still contemplating a higher end Dynavector (once a few life responsibilities are out of the way, I'd love to catch a XV-1s under $2000).

Will be interested to hear your thoughts!

In the meantime, I just mounted a Shelter 501 MKII on my Well Tempered Reference which I bought used out of curiosity of the Nighthawks synergy with Shelter carts.  Its not optimized and I hear potential, but its simultaneously lush and dry.  Almost an oxymoron, but somehow less 'wet' than the Koetsu I had did voices.

My first listening impression is that its pretty and I can understand the praise it's received, but I don't know that it would keep my attention in the long run.   

toobluvr

« Reply #172 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:39 am »

My first listening impression is that its pretty and I can understand the praise it's received, but I don't know that it would keep my attention in the long run.   

With respect to what....the Shelter or the Nighthawk?     :scratch:

Gopher

« Reply #173 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:43 am »
My first impressions with a Shelter 501 MKII I mounted this evening and have been listening to for a bout 2 hours.  :) 

I already did an extensive review as to my feelings on the Nighthawk on its own. 

Yes, I was curious about synergy with Shelters and the Nighthawk.  It is my understanding that Ray Sammuels voiced this phonostage using the Shelter 90x.  It was suggested by some other posters on head-fi that the entire shelter family should synergize well, so I'm giving it a try.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #174 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:06 am »
I'll have a new Denon DL-S1 in a few days.  I'll let you guys know how they work together.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #175 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:16 am »
Jerome (and others), what cartridge will you be using to feed the Nighthawk?  IIRC you had a higher end Dynavector and were contemplating a Koetsu for a while.  I on the other hand just sold a Koetsu and am still contemplating a higher end Dynavector (once a few life responsibilities are out of the way, I'd love to catch a XV-1s under $2000).

Thanks.  My current favorite MC cart is the Ortofon Jubilee.  I also own a Benz Ruby 3 (another great cart), Ortofon Kontrapunkt A (excellent for the money), and a Shelter 501 (I haven't listened to it enough to form a cogent opinion).

I thought about getting a Koetsu but wasn't able to overcome some concerns that I had about compliance compatibility with my SME 309 tonearm.

--Jerome

djbnh

« Reply #176 on: 13 Apr 2010, 02:31 am »
Yes, seriously.  I have owned (and still own!) several components for 10+ years.  Anyway,  there's no way you can get the hours claimed out of this battery.  That's just not how rechargeables work.  You'll get a 48 hour charge for a while, then it's 45 then it's 42, etc.  By the 500th cycle you may only get a handful of hours per charge.  10 years?  No way.  5 years is more likely, maybe less if you do lots of listening.
Am I being foolish?  Perhaps.  But I think it's something to consider.
No battery, or tube, or speaker, CD player, or bearing, or stylus, (or heart, or lung) etc. lasts forever. It is not in their nature.

However, to put things in a different light, perhaps consider the following.

Mr. Samuels offers on his website this bit of information regarding the Nighthawk, according to his website:
The Nighthawk comes with 3 years unlimited Warranty, it is transferable to second or third owner no question asked. Parts & labor are included; customer pays the shipping fee only.

Additionally, Mr. Samuels reports the following:
The battery has two wires soldered to the PC brd. If you can solder two wires then you have nothing to fear.
You can send it for free labor, just pay $20.00 for new battery + shipping & we will install it for you.
I don't really see why this should be some thing to even think about, When the warranty is 3 years on the battery. The play time is beyound what you might expect from other battery operated phono stages.
Ray Samuels

I understand the poster wants perhaps a longer battery life; I know with the past few winter storms in NH my spouse wouldn't mind flashlight batteries lasting longer, too. However, IMO the Nighthawk's battery life and cost of replacement, as well as the entire unit's performance per $, makes it a very attractive component.  Just something to consider.

JakeJ

« Reply #177 on: 13 Apr 2010, 08:04 am »

In the meantime, I just mounted a Shelter 501 MKII on my Well Tempered Reference which I bought used out of curiosity of the Nighthawks synergy with Shelter carts.  Its not optimized and I hear potential, but its simultaneously lush and dry.  Almost an oxymoron, but somehow less 'wet' than the Koetsu I had did voices.

Currently mounted is a Lyra Lydian Beta.  Waiting in the wings is a Dynavector 17D3.  On the sidelines is an Accuphase AC-1.  I would like to add a Shelter to the harem in the future.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #178 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:08 pm »
Tuan
still in my main system:
- vmps larger subs - 1995
- melos ma333r preamp - 1999
- electrocompaniet amps (first mains amps, now sub amps) - 1995
- art di/o dac - 2000
- pentagon ps-3 fono stage - 1999
- oracle delphi turntable - 1999
- onix bwd-1/soap-2 fm tuna (occasionally) - 1995
- the marchand xm9-LL lasted from 1995 until end of 2007, when replaced by deqx.

ymmv,

doug s.,
must not be an audiophile...   :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #179 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:10 pm »

It must measure really well, eh Doug?   :lol: