New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk

DARTH AUDIO

Re: New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk
« Reply #100 on: 31 Mar 2010, 10:57 am »
Darth,

How did you feel the Nighthawk stacked up against the Minimax in terms of dynamics.  I had a hard time choosing a winner in this department.

I felt the Nighthawk Beat the MiniMax in dynamics by a fair margin. Bass had more slam/impact and was much tighter!! Better defined. And I really like the MiniMax. The Nighthawks ability to pull information out of the grooves continues to impress me!! Imaging and soundstage is KILLER!!

Ray Samuels

« Reply #101 on: 1 Apr 2010, 02:51 am »
I felt the Nighthawk Beat the MiniMax in dynamics by a fair margin. Bass had more slam/impact and was much tighter!! Better defined. And I really like the MiniMax. The Nighthawks ability to pull information out of the grooves continues to impress me!! Imaging and soundstage is KILLER!!

F-117, Nighthawk, wins Award of Excellence from Enjoy the Music...
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0410/ray_samuels_f_117_nighthawk.htm
Ray Samuels

tomjtx

« Reply #102 on: 1 Apr 2010, 03:02 am »
F-117, Nighthawk, wins Award of Excellence from Enjoy the Music...
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0410/ray_samuels_f_117_nighthawk.htm
Ray Samuels

Congratulations Ray, you so deserve this.
The Nighthawk is an astonishing piece of gear regardless of price.
The more I listen the more I hear, which is the greatest compliment I could pay anything concerning music.

Gopher

« Reply #103 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:09 am »
Congrats!   :thumb:

This piece deserves the award.

I am really curious as to how this baby would sound being fed from a Shelter 90x, what she was voiced with.  Maybe one day when I get my cartridge situation sorted.

JakeJ

« Reply #104 on: 1 Apr 2010, 04:43 am »
Gopher,

I'd be willing to bet any Shelter cart would sound its best through the Nighthawk.  Hmmm...me thinks a Shelter will be the next cartridge in my harem.
 :eyebrows:

I need to mount up the Dynavector and give it a Nighthawk intro.

Oh, I almost forgot.  CONGRATULATIONS to Ray Samuels Audio!
 :rock: :guitar: :drums: :beer: :banana piano:

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #105 on: 1 Apr 2010, 12:43 pm »
Congrats Ray.. Awesome phonostage!! Truly enjoyable to listen to!! Break out the awards!! :notworthy:

mikecole

« Reply #106 on: 1 Apr 2010, 07:59 pm »
Hey toobluvr, are you going to buy one of these? It would be cool to have you compare it to your Audio Vista phono stage. I'd be interested in the results.

Mike

toobluvr

« Reply #107 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:09 pm »
Hey fellas.....room for one more?  I was feeling soooo left out that I decided to join the party--ordered mine today!      :banana piano:

My first time speaking to Ray.   He's a true gentleman. 

Stay tuned Mike, a comparo you will have.    :eyebrows:

I hold the Vista phono in pretty high regard, so it should be interesting.  I've had it awhile now and it still really holds my interest and makes me wanna spin vinyl.  I guess you could pick a nit here or there, but on balance it is really satisfying and it's hard to find any egregious faults with it.  I know the term is used loosely, but IME it is a true "giant killer".  Best audio buck bang I've ever experienced in my life.  And it is not just good for the money, it is plain good period!

My vinyl is sounding really good right now, so if the 'hawk improves on it,  I'll be one happy camper.

JakeJ

« Reply #108 on: 1 Apr 2010, 11:21 pm »
<snippity snip>
And it is not just good for the money, it is plain good period!

That's how I feel about the Nighthawk too.  Having some inkling of the gear TL has experienced I am anxious to hear what he has to say as well.

Didn't get in any more listening but there's always the next days off.  Plus dad is doing very well at his PT and thinks he might get out of the rehab facility by 4/6.  That'll be one less obstacle for me.

toobluvr

« Reply #109 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:48 am »

Who is "TL" ?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #110 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:55 am »
Who is "TL" ?
take a look in the mirror...   :lol:

doug s.

toobluvr

« Reply #111 on: 2 Apr 2010, 01:57 am »
DUH!       :duh:     :oops:

laserboi

« Reply #112 on: 2 Apr 2010, 02:57 am »
How long will the introductory price be good for?  I'll be ordering my first turn table (technics 1200) and I would like to pair it with a reasonable phono stage and this Nighthawk seems to be getting some rave reviews. 

toobluvr

« Reply #113 on: 2 Apr 2010, 03:20 am »
How long will the introductory price be good for?  I'll be ordering my first turn table (technics 1200) and I would like to pair it with a reasonable phono stage and this Nighthawk seems to be getting some rave reviews. 

Intro offer expires on April 30.  I confirmed it with Ray when I spoke to him today.

JakeJ

« Reply #114 on: 2 Apr 2010, 03:57 am »
take a look in the mirror...   :lol:

doug s.

Thank you, doug.  ;) Workin' tonight so I had to get a nap and missed havin' fun with that little faux pas.

jtsnead

« Reply #115 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:18 am »
Ordered mine last night

I am a little worried since I am selling my MS Nova Phonomena
to finance this change (thanks slanski62). The Nova sounds really good in my system w/ the Benz Ace SL.

But what would this hobby be w/o trying new stuff every once
and a while, plus I get to try my other cartridges which I avoid
cause I don't want to flip switches on the back of the unit (lazy audiophile syndrome).

toobluvr

« Reply #116 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:01 pm »
Lookie what the FedEx man just left on my doorstep!   :hyper:     :dance:   :eyebrows:

JakeJ

« Reply #117 on: 8 Apr 2010, 04:46 pm »
Cool, John, keep us posted.  I'm going to do some listening and comparing today as John Hoffman is over for a visit.

Jake

toobluvr

« Reply #118 on: 8 Apr 2010, 05:07 pm »
Very first impressions:   fast, grippy, smooth and dynamic.  Really digging deep into the grooves and pulling info.   I'm gonna strap myself in and break the sound barrier!    :lol:

jtsnead

« Reply #119 on: 8 Apr 2010, 08:46 pm »
just got mine no operators manual,
I guess you have to unplug the power supply
to pass sound? Can you leave it plugged in and
still listen to it?