New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk

95Dyna

Re: New Ray Samuels Phono Stage/ Nighthawk
« Reply #280 on: 8 Jul 2010, 01:50 pm »
One more for the F-117 Nighthawk.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue50/nighthawk_phonostage.htm

I'm still pretty much in the break in stage of my Nighthawk and can say I'm already experiencing what the reviewer has observed.  At this point I'm having difficulty determining the best load setting between the 500, 1K and 47K settings.  Is there an objective or scientific way to determine this if one's audio sense is not coming up with the answer?  Anyway, isn't it great to be able to adjust the load and gain on the fly! :thumb:

BTW, in addition to the great product Ray is a great guy to talk to if you have questions or are trying to troubleshoot something. 
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2010, 03:51 pm by 95Dyna »

shaizada

« Reply #281 on: 10 Jul 2010, 05:22 am »
95dyna, what is the cartridge that you are using?  If you can give some specs, a good recommended loading can be given to you.  Gain is set to taste and ear.  Basically set the gain to have comfortable use of your volume control of the preamp.  The Nighthawk sounds different at different gain settings. 

EDIT:  Ok just read that you have a Benz Wood SL.  I see your dilemma...but that cartridge is so nice as it would match many phono stages.  Try the 100ohm setting and move up from there.  As you go higher up, you open up the top end and airiness more.  Lower loading gives you a more fuller sound.  So, it really depends on how you like your system and vinyl setup to sound.  Lucky you!  You get to experience the cartridge at 4 different settings each giving you a different flavor.

95Dyna

« Reply #282 on: 12 Jul 2010, 07:18 pm »
95dyna, what is the cartridge that you are using?  If you can give some specs, a good recommended loading can be given to you.  Gain is set to taste and ear.  Basically set the gain to have comfortable use of your volume control of the preamp.  The Nighthawk sounds different at different gain settings. 

EDIT:  Ok just read that you have a Benz Wood SL.  I see your dilemma...but that cartridge is so nice as it would match many phono stages.  Try the 100ohm setting and move up from there.  As you go higher up, you open up the top end and airiness more.  Lower loading gives you a more fuller sound.  So, it really depends on how you like your system and vinyl setup to sound.  Lucky you!  You get to experience the cartridge at 4 different settings each giving you a different flavor.

Thanks for the input shaizada.  The Benz Wood spec calls for 120 ohms and above and I can tell a significant improvement when switching from 100 to 500.  I guess the differences between the 500, 1K and 47K are a matter of preference as you are suggesting.  What I need to do based on your advice is listen for differences and not good vs. bad then I should be better able to tell.  Perhaps there is a different optimal setting for different recordings or types of music.

Regards,

Bill

arossphoto

« Reply #283 on: 22 Aug 2010, 03:20 am »
Ray's site says the "Nighthawk will NOT turn on if the charger plug is in the unit". That sounds pretty clear, but I just wanted to confirm whether you actually have to remove the plug from the back of the unit, or can you just unplug the charger from the wall? I don't own one, and I'm wondering whether you have to move the unit around a lot so you can plug and unplug the charger?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #284 on: 22 Aug 2010, 01:38 pm »
It will not turn on with the charger plugged into the Nighthawk regardless of whether the charger is plugged into the wall or not.  So you would need to have fairly easy access to its rear.

lazydays

« Reply #285 on: 22 Aug 2010, 05:36 pm »
I heard the Nighthawk on Sat. and ordered one.
This thing is a giant killer!
Battery powered (8 hours per day for a week on 1 charge) dual mono, front rotary controls for gain and capacitance for each channel.
Punchy, dynamic , tubelike, great SS, bass, mids, highs.

I can't wait to get mine.
I have a SFP-1 Signature and the I think I prefer the Nighthawk.
The kicker?
Entry price is 650.00.

Go to head-fi.org to check out some reviews.

I'll post more when I get mine.

I've been looking around for about six months, and before that I did a lot of digging to see what I wanted.

* must be battery powered without a built in charging circut.
* must have two inputs; if not three
* must have a mono circut
* would prefer external loading
* WBT connections all the way around, and also be hand wired
* lastly; I'd like a case made of copper all the way around
gary

ryder

« Reply #286 on: 28 Aug 2010, 10:43 am »
I compared the Dynavector P75 to another phono stage and find the Dynavector to lack speed and dynamics.

Can anyone here confirm the Ray Samuels F117 to be a significant improvement over the Dynavector P75 and an overall better unit?

Thanks.

dgotlse

« Reply #287 on: 9 Oct 2010, 10:29 am »
In order to make sure before taking thr plunge : does the charger work on 230-240v ?

Thanks for having a look on yours.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #288 on: 9 Oct 2010, 11:05 am »
You should email Ray on that one.

rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com