How many of you commit audio "blasphemy" and cross over to a sub for 2-channel?

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
With multiple sources and locations of the same frequency within a room, timing differences will cause some to combine and others to cancel.  It is the same effect that room modes produce.  If I understand the use of multiple subs correctly, if set up properly multiple subs can use these timing differences to counter the natural fixed room boundry issues.  However, if set up wrong they can add to them.

I think you analyzed the benefits correctly, but the only way that multiple subs could accomplish the worst-case scenario and have their outputs be exactly additive is if their peak-and-dip patterns all overlapped precisely. 

The only way to do that would be to put them all in exactly the same physical location.

The only way to do that would be to have all of their outputs combined into a single sub... and in fact, that is precisely what happens when you get all of your bass from a single sub!   

doug s.

• makin' music
i chuckled to myself, reading the title to this thread.  i think it's audio blasphemy not to use at least a pair of subs and active outboard x-over for 2-channel.   :green:

as has been stated in this thread already by many, multiple subs smooth room nodes better, & crossing over your main speakers makes them and their amps perform better, (unless, per george's vandy 5's, they already have subs built-in).  and, tho it may be counter intuitive - a subwoofer system will likely help even more in a smaller room, as has been stated, along w/the reasons why.  (and wayner,  no - a single sub will likely not help, as you discovered - at least two are required.)

i went to a stereo sub/x-over set up almost fifteen years ago, and there's definitely no going back.  (i still wait for the proper room & money to add a second pair of subs out of phase from the pair flanking my mains, to be placed in the back of the room.  8) )  speakers i was using at the time - thiel 3.5's - are rated -2db at 20hz.  well, besides getting better low end extension w/dedicated subs, the performance of the thiels themselves improved noticeably.

I am definitely w/kevin haskins on this - gimme a reasonable sub system budget and decent monitors, and more often than not, i will get better sound in a room than using mega-buck full range speakers.  unless, of course the "full-range" speakers already have true subs factored in.   :wink:

ymmv,

doug s.

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
Count me in as a quasi blasphemer here... two subs but no crossover.  On the other hand, the subs are bandpass boxes so they are acoustically limited at the high end, ~125 Hz or so.  Having overlapping sources from ~125 down (where the mains are tailing off) provides a very smooth extended bass response.  Ok, I had to work a bit at optimizing the setup, phasing and EQ to get it that way, but it sure works for me.

- Doug

Nuance

First off let me state that I do not think it is audio "blasphemy" to integrate subwoofers into a 2-channel system.  However, I've been called a "blasphemer" on numerous occasions for doing it.  Ironic...

It seems some may have missed the purpose of my post, so let me clarify:  how does one who does not believe in using subwoofers in a 2-channel system deal with the broad peaks and valley's that are created by the full range loud speakers interacting with the room?  Do you guys and gals just live with variable bass levels at different frequencies, or do you just forgo buying loud speakers that reach deep enough, thus losing out on the last octave or two?  As someone has already mentioned, having no bass in the lower frequencies might be better than having crappy bass, but why not strive for both?

Wayner brought up a great point when he mentioned wavelengths and room interactions; something I myself was going to delve into if it had yet not been brought up.  As mentioned, depending on the room and the length of the wavelength many 2-channel systems will likely suffer from at least one broad peak or valley (many suffer from more than one).  In said situation(s), what does the 2-channel purist do if he cannot accommodate a custom built room or acoustic panels several feet thick to "fix" said peaks or valleys?  They don't just "live with it," do they?

The reason is pretty simple.   The 2-channel loudspeakers are limited in placement by how they have to be placed for stereo reproduction.   That location is pretty much never the optimal for bass reproduction.     With a couple small subs, a DSP and some room measurement capability you can get much smoother in-room response and it won't matter that the unlimited budget 2-channel system is using some multi-thousand dollar drivers because their response in-room is determined by location and their dance with the room.   

FR isn't everything but it is damn near impossible to have a system with +/- 12dB FR swings down low and have it sound good.   It won't matter how much you spend on it because the bass performance is determined by the device, its location within the room and the relationship with the listening location.     Duke's method of using multiple smaller subs is an excellent strategy and if you can have DSPs on them, that allow you to adjust for delay and properly cross them over to the main speakers you will have much better bass reproduction than you will with just two stereo loudspeakers.   Done right it is completely unidentifiable from a good 2-channel setup with the exception that the bass will be improved.   The DSP will also allow you to use a couple bands of PEQ if you need them.   Every room is different so I do believe in using a little EQ if it helps.   You have to measure multiple locations for the reason Duke pointed out and using too much EQ is almost always worse than using none but there is no simple rule.   You have to measure.   

In terms of what Earl says.... he is right.   Under about 30-35Hz you start to universally pressurize a room (depending upon size/dimensions).   At that point you are below the region where room modes matter and the response is pretty linear compared with 30-250Hz.   Of course for 2-channel use response under about 25Hz is not needed for most music.   But if you are spending $10K on a pair of loudspeakers there is absolutely no good reason not to use these techniques to improve the bass.    It is simply insane to live with +/- 12dB ripples in the measured response in a system in that price range.   

Of course the final issue that isn't solvable with any loudspeaker or room is the fact that recordings are not mastered universally the same.   Especially in the low frequencies you have significant differences in how they were mastered/recorded.   You are ultimately limited by what is in the recording and since there isn't a universal standard for studio monitors or the room, there ultimately is no standard for the bass that goes on the recording.    That is why it is sometimes more frustrating to have extended bandwidth than to have a limited bandwidth.   Also... the less bandwidth you have the less you stimulate room issues so often people prefer to have a system with modest bass reproduction because it is the lessor of evils.   

This pretty much sums up everything I've encountered and experienced.  It's also become my exact philosophy.  Well said, Kevin. 

There is something I have not noticed being talked about enough and that is the possible problems with phase.  I have experienced this even with stereo bass towers, but I would think it would be much worse with summed mono sources.

With multiple sources and locations of the same frequency within a room, timing differences will cause some to combine and others to cancel.  It is the same effect that room modes produce.  If I understand the use of multiple subs correctly, if set up properly multiple subs can use these timing differences to counter the natural fixed room boundry issues.  However, if set up wrong they can add to them.

Good points here.  In my latest multiple subwoofer setup adventure, phase and delay certainly were an issue until we applied individual settings to each subwoofer, then applied any necessary EQ.  Three ended up having the same phase, while one was almost completely reversed.  It depends on the room and placement, but if you don't get these right you get cancellations, which is like never having fixed the room modes to begin with.  Of course, it's kind of moot concerning the lowest frequencies, but what about mid and upper bass?  Is phase and delay that last step to take on the importance scale of order?  I've always wondered why Geddes and Toole said its not really important in multiple subwoofer setups...so confusing. 

My 2 channel speakers (Vandy 5A's) are sort of a hybrid to what people have been discussing here.  They have self powered subwoofers built in so that the amps don't have to worry about driving big woofers.  They also have 11 bands of eq (with Q and output control to fine tune) to help handle room issues.  This approach means I don't have to worry about time and phase issues that placing multiple subs around the room can cause.

George

Ideally this type of design is what we'd all have.  Its no wonder I think the best speaker's I've ever heard are the Vandersteen 5A's.  Of course, I haven't heard the model 7's yet.  :)

Measurements have their place in the hobby, but I think no more than to provide general guidance.  Sometimes getting in there any playing with your hobby will provide very enjoyable results to some ears, while it might drive a "meter reader" to drink. 

I very much agree with this statement.  In the beginning I thought measurements were more important than anything, but now I know what I hear is the most important thing.  I do use measurements, but mostly to confirm what I hear and don't hear.  After all, mics can pick up on frequencies and anomalies that the human ear cannot.  But in the end, my ears make the final call. 

This has been a very good, thoughtful and civilized discussion.  Its nice to see after three pages every one is getting along.   :thumb:

DougSmith

It is quite possible for things to sound good, but measure badly - with huge peaks and dropouts in the low frequency region.  That's how my system was before I added the subs.  But it sounds much smoother now after adding the subs and achieving a ~flat overall system response.  I did that with no special room treatments, by the way.  Room treatments might have alleviated some of my initial issues (and still might be capable of improving things further - I'm not sure), but I'd rather have a couple of subs kicking around than a whole lot of panels on the walls. 

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
I completely understand everything that is being said- but cannot get over the thought that a mono sub system is oversimplified, even with multiple placements. I think it must improve many things and sacrifice others.

I listen to allot of bluegrass. There are times when bass is stronger out of one or the other channel. (AKA: Stereo separation) I don't want a sub smearing it all over the place. If it's supposed to be in the left channel, shouldn't we keep it there? I don't want it all over the place. Same goes for the other recording I mentioned earlier on.

bunnyma357

The room you mention will have major peaks and dips from bass modes down to about 40 Hz.  Small rooms are actually worse than big ones, as the peaks and dips end up being farther apart and therefore more audible and distinct.  If the peaks and dips are very close together, the ear can average them out and the perceived sound is a lot smoother than what the eye would judge from looking at a measurement.  Counter-intuitive as it may seem, smaller rooms benefit more from a scattered multisub system than larger ones do; this is because they are so much worse to begin with.

This has been my experience in my small room, I have 3 dimensions that are very close (10.5x10x9) and I had some horrible bass modes that made the bass sound like a really bad one note bandpass car sub cranked up as high as it would go. My room sounded way worse than any large room I've had speakers in.

The multiple subs, PEQ and room treatments have made a bad room sound quite good.

Jim C

DougSmith

I completely understand everything that is being said- but cannot get over the thought that a mono sub system is oversimplified, even with multiple placements. I think it must improve many things and sacrifice others.

I listen to allot of bluegrass. There are times when bass is stronger out of one or the other channel. (AKA: Stereo separation) I don't want a sub smearing it all over the place. If it's supposed to be in the left channel, shouldn't we keep it there? I don't want it all over the place. Same goes for the other recording I mentioned earlier on.

I suspect you are hearing things higher than 150 Hz. It is generally agreed that that is the lower limit for localization (as long as there are no harmonics and nothing is rattling).

gedlee

• GedLee LLC
Measurements have their place in the hobby, but I think no more than to provide general guidance

Personally, I think the opposite is true.  If you like something that is wrong then that's wrong.  Measurements tell the truth, you just have to understand them.

As for "blasphemy" I've never been a religious person, and I certainly do not prescribe to the "Chuch of Audiopholery". Most of what I do is Blashphemy in that religion (cheap receiver for electronics, $50 CD player, lamp cord speaker wires, what else ...)

A good discussion and maybe I can add some thoughts if there are any particular questions.

Earl Geddes

Nuance

Room treatments might have alleviated some of my initial issues (and still might be capable of improving things further - I'm not sure), but I'd rather have a couple of subs kicking around than a whole lot of panels on the walls. 
I should have mentioned that room treatments are the only thing that can alleviate ringing, at least as far as I've learned.  PEQ is great for removing peaks, but the room treatments are what reduce ringing.  If necessary, apply both. 

gedlee

• GedLee LLC

I suspect you are hearing things higher than 150 Hz. It is generally agreed that that is the lower limit for localization (as long as there are no harmonics and nothing is rattling).

Thats really going to be the case.  Your room would be a disaster and I would expect multiple subs to be a major improvement.  Not all rooms will see the same level of improvement.  The worse the situation the better the expected improvement.

Nuance

A good discussion and maybe I can add some thoughts if there are any particular questions.

Earl Geddes
Sure - I'd love some guidance concerning this:

Good points here.  In my latest multiple subwoofer setup adventure, phase and delay certainly were an issue until we applied individual settings to each subwoofer, then applied any necessary EQ.  Three ended up having the same phase, while one was almost completely reversed.  It depends on the room and placement, but if you don't get these right you get cancellations, which is like never having fixed the room modes to begin with.  Of course, it's kind of moot concerning the lowest frequencies, but what about mid and upper bass?  Is phase and delay that last step to take on the importance scale of order?  I've always wondered why Geddes and Toole said its not really important in multiple subwoofer setups...so confusing. 

DougSmith

I should have mentioned that room treatments are the only thing that can alleviate ringing, at least as far as I've learned.  PEQ is great for removing peaks, but the room treatments are what reduce ringing.  If necessary, apply both.

PEQ can go a long way (there is an interesting discussion about that in Floyd Toole's book).  I think phasing also, applied appropriately, can reduce ringing.

JoshK

Sure - I'd love some guidance concerning this:

Can I ask if the speakers pictured in your avatar are you current speakers, and if so are they TLs?  TLs happen to have a fast changing gradient of phase through their lower passband. 

I've heard only a couple implementations of TLs and all have been "deep and tight" but also a bit one note and boxy in character.

JackD201

First off let me state that I do not think it is audio "blasphemy" to integrate subwoofers into a 2-channel system.  However, I've been called a "blasphemer" on numerous occasions for doing it.  Ironic...

Same here Nuance. A friend said my speakers which have built in 15" subs with crossover, a 0-180 phase switch and level control as well as level controls for all tweeters was not "purist". It was kind of like cheating :lol: .To him the traditional way of moving speakers around and using room treatments only was the proper way. A common friend then pointed out that his speakers should be considered too because they have a variable resistor bay which are indeed level controls too except harder to use  :lol:

Bass is a funny thing. Our ears are not sensitive to low bass but our bodies are. In my large room and the system tuned to be as flat as possible, bass becomes unnerving. It is so strong it actually makes me nauseous.  I have a theory about this.

The Fletcher-Munson curve was developed for telecom purposes and later appropriated by all other audio related fields. While it has stood the test of time, we're talking about sound perceived through the ears only. There is a thread here about perceived loudness and the rule of thumb is that 10dB is required to have a perceived doubling of loudness. I say this is true for the most part but it does not apply to the frequencies where our bodies as well as our ears begin to be sensitive to sound pressure and that would be I'd say 60Hz and below.  In that thread I pointed out that architects working with and composers and concert masters from the days before sound reinforcement  required 8 or 9 additional violins to double the perceived loudness but only one additional Tympani. You also needed only one piano but they had to be big giving birth to the concert grand. This would suggest that 3dB or less is enough to double perceived loudness for low bass in an enclosed space. This can also be noticed by counting bass bins vs mid high arrays in concert. Open air concerts use more bass bins vis-a-vis mid high cabs.

It is no wonder then that in all the systems I've heard that have successfully integrated subs, levels are always set pretty darned low. In many cases, especially with those with larger subs the level controls don't make it to 9 o'clock (for illustration only, yes I know the "o'clock" thing makes for a clunky description- sorry  :oops:) when crossed over at 50Hz and lower as the XO frequency goes up and/or the Q set wider.

Anyway, it's just a theory and I'm rambling. I guess all I'm saying ...again...is that it can be done and when done well enough, the reward is sound that makes it easier to focus on the music because our brains don't need to fill in the blanks.

doug s.

• makin' music

i'm w/niteshade on this point.  i have been able to localize a mono sub, even when crossed over as low as 80hz.  the only time i have heard a mono sub not degrade soundstaging is when it is centered directly between the mains, preferably in the nearfield.  but, stereo subs, imo, improve soundstaging, instead of not simply degrading it.  i have never heard mono multiple subs done per gedlee; maybe my opinion would change.  but, i'd still be more apt to run multiple subs in stereo.

doug s.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
Just moments ago I just learned something about localization of in-room bass sources from this post by Earl Geddes

Because it takes the ear more than one cycle to even detect the presence of in-room bass energy, when the room boundaries are within one wavelength of the listener the bass is, from a perceptual standpoint, coming from all around - and therefore the actual source cannot be localized. 

JoshK

I've heard many high end installations, including some that cost as much as my house and I can say Dr. Geddes' is among the top 3 in terms of SQ and bass response.   Dr. G's is much more affordable then the others mentioned.   That tells me there is something to his method.   I am subsequently in his camp.

Nuance

Can I ask if the speakers pictured in your avatar are you current speakers, and if so are they TLs?  TLs happen to have a fast changing gradient of phase through their lower passband. 

I've heard only a couple implementations of TLs and all have been "deep and tight" but also a bit one note and boxy in character.

Yes they are mine and do implement Martin Kings TL design.  I do not think they are boxy sounding at all, but I wanted more depth and the ability to apply PEQ, hence the subs.  Plus there is only so much displacement two 5" woofers can give you.  YMMV, of course.

PEQ can go a long way (there is an interesting discussion about that in Floyd Toole's book).  I think phasing also, applied appropriately, can reduce ringing.

Thanks, Doug.  I have Floyd's new book but haven't had time to sit down (in a quiet room) and read it yet.  Its hard for me to read unless its quiet... 

So phase can reduce ringing? 

DougSmith

Yes, changing the phase of one or more subs can flatten the overall response and reduce ringing at the major modes. In my experience the effect was relatively small, but this is certainly one of the recommended tools for optimizing the overall system response.  Perhaps Earl can add some more detail.