Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks

mcullinan

Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks
« on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:31 pm »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
My first foray into tube amps.  Im going from Nuforce 9 SE v3s to the Manleys. It was time to try something new & Im glad I did. My speakers are Merlin VSM MXs, preamp Supratek Sauvignon, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Squeezebox 3 with CI Audio PS.

First thing, they require careful setup. I had to swap out all my MAC Palladium cables for shielded ones (Blue Jean). EMI from the transformers I am told. I also need to get some rubber feet to soak up some vibration (using paper towels for now ;) )  This minimized hum. I dont like my speakers making any sound, I got close enough.

Wow! They take a while to sound their best 30+ min Id say. I was concerned about whether they would play loud enough and they seem fine. I am listening at a good volume without distortion. Listening to Jean Michael Jarre... lots of ambiance. Great sound stage.

The bass is very good. It sounds a bit more natural than the Nuforce. A little more bloom but still tight, not flabby. The highs seem more open and expansive, I might be tripping right now.. lol!

The things I give up from the Nuforce is a bit of inner detail and ultimate loud as I want dance tracks. The Manleys are dynamic and pretty much neutral. I thought they would have a warmer sound, but no. I hear more texture with the Manleys. The background is not as dark as the Nuforces. The Nuforces are cleaner sounding, but the Manleys are more musical.

I guess every amp has its trade offs. Ive had my Nuforces for about 3 years and have enjoyed them VEry much! But this is new (Manleys) and pretty cool!
M

Lyndon

Re: Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »
Manley gear is built like a tank.
Please post when you put some sweet photos of the new set up in your gallery.

Have not thought of Jean Michael Jarre in a very long time. I have Oxygen, and isn't there an album
cover with a skull in the motif?

Lyndon

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:01 pm »
I have Oxygene too. Not sure what the skull album is.
Big album in my college days, being a stoner.. lol
M

Nels Ferre

« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:58 pm »
 Hi,

You hit the nail on the head as far as texture. I have Mahis as well and love them. (Triode Mode/ Standard Feedback.) I am running them with a Manley Jumbo Shrimp preamp.

How do you have yours set?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:02 pm »
Not a bad choice for a first venture into tube or even a last venture. I was a Manley dealer for a while and really likes the Mahi's. In my opinion, the best looking of their amps as well.

Enjoy :green:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:08 pm »
A couple of pics from the Manley website:

These are indeed nice amps.  Great sound, no fuss, just fun!

George

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
Also from the Manley website:
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2500 clams per pair (USD $)

I wonder if they'd settle for shrimp instead?  :rotflmao:

OK, enough yokes, those are some mighty pretty tube amps you have there to replace the digital Nuforce's Mike,,, congratulations and happy listening of your "new" system.  :thumb:  Your comparisons between these 2 different amp designs is definitely an interesting read, especially the wattage difference in relation to your "to the max" listening preferences.  :rock: 

You have a very sweet system indeed Mike.  :dance:

Cheers,
Robin

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
They are pretty cute looking. At first I thought they looked a little odd, but they have big personality for such small amps! :)

mfsoa

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm »
Hey Mike,

Get away from those Blue Jeans cables ASAP for a significant step up.

I expect your next cables to be far more open and revealing than the BJC, if that's a direction you want your system to take.

Congrats on the new gear!

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:34 pm »
What are some really good shielded cables without the mucho $$$?
I really liked the MAC Palladiums.. but I need shielding!

naggots

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:56 pm »
Glad you like the Mahis, I came from Audio Research VT 50 and couldn't be happier.

You may like to try changing the 12AT7 tubes to these http://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_CV4033_NOS_1960_62_Prem_CV4024_STC_Eng_FAC_p/2042m.htm

not expensive but according to Tubemonger in the top 3 of 12AT7s. The Mahis are warmer and airier, and they last for 10000hrs.

Not worth changing the 6414 tube, but if you could get some Mullard EL84s.......... :eyebrows:

naggots

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:03 pm »
I use Zu Gedes with my Mahis, no hum and cheap ($100ish) from Zu ebay store or second hand. Replaced Cardas Golden Cross which I found so smooth they became boring.

sorry to hog your post

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:05 pm »
They are pretty cute looking. At first I thought they looked a little odd, but they have big personality for such small amps! :)

These amps are the epitomy of you, Mr. Nose Picker!!!

mcullinan

« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:06 pm »
Nice... I see some of your setup on Audiogon. Ill check those tubes out. MAn I am enjoying the hell out of these little amps. Like a kid in a candy store! ;)
I have a Mullard ECC801S in the front tube position and right behind that is a Raytheon. The other tubes are EL84 Amperex from JApan/ 1970s.
M

mcullinan

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:07 pm »
These amps are the epitomy of you, Mr. Nose Picker!!!
ahhahahaha!

Lyndon

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:09 pm »
Here you go, Mike.

Not a bad memory from a guy who managed a record store 20 years ago... :)

mcullinan

« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:22 pm »
Sweet! So that album is the one with the skull. Great album for treading space & time! ;)

santacore

« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2010, 10:09 pm »
Mahi's rock!! Those are one of the few amps that I regret selling. I'll never forget the day I took them down to a local dealer and compared them to some massive(and expensive) Rogue mono-blocks. Both the sales guy and I thought the Mahi's sounded better. In fact he mentioned he wanted to look into buying a pair. Ha!

Great little amps that are dynamic, musical, and with surprising bass. Enjoy!

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #18 on: 20 Feb 2010, 10:19 pm »
i had dead-quiet background w/mahi's using unshielded alpha-core tq2-ag cables.  these neutral detailed (imo) cables reduce noise thru their purled construction, w/o shielding.  best i/c deal out there, imo, when you can find 'em used...

doug s.

bunky

« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:27 am »
What are some really good shielded cables without the mucho $$$?
I really liked the MAC Palladiums.. but I need shielding!
I run Palladiums from my source to my preamplifier without a problem.I cant run them between the pre and the power amps without picking up noise though  :scratch: