Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks

mcullinan

Re: Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks
« Reply #40 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:09 am »
They look like cobwebs... hehe. A guy from Ukraine is selling 8 for $23.. NOS
http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-6P14P-EL84-Pentode-NOS-Lot-of-8-pcs_W0QQitemZ260557139447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3caa6a6df7#ht_570wt_1041
Do they have to be matched in the Manley?

mcullinan

« Reply #41 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:32 am »
I got the Manley sounding very sweet... some minor adjustments. :) What a great sounding amp!
The highs are phenomenal....

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:05 am »
How do these differ to the stock 6Pi14Pi-EB ?
there are three wersions of this tube - standard 6Pi14P; military grade 6Pi14P-ev, rated at 5k hours, and 6Pi14P-er, rated at 10k hours.  note the russian cyrillic alphabet is different - the "ev" and "er" designations are the english designations.  the "er" tubes actually say "ep" on them; the "ev"tubes say "eb" on them.  confusing enough?   :lol:

(and yes, that close-up pic of the tubes i posted do indeed look like they have cobwebs on the pins!)
doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #43 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:12 am »
I got the Manley sounding very sweet... some minor adjustments. :) What a great sounding amp!
the only reason i ever sold my mahi's was because i found another mesa baron, that i yust had to have!  i still woulda kept the mahi's, but i also have a 40w pair of tube monoblocks - audio mirror 6c33c set's.  so, i decided to keep the set amps, as the mahi's and the mesa are both push-pull...  but, yes, the mahi's are killer amps, imo. 

enjoy!   :thumb:

doug s.

JakeJ

« Reply #44 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:50 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-6P14P-EL84-Pentode-NOS-Lot-of-8-pcs_W0QQitemZ260557139447QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item3caa6a6df7#ht_570wt_1041

It looks like the Mahis have individual bias pots for each tube so it may not be necessary to have matched quads.  However it would be best to consult Manley just to be safe.

Glad they're singing to you, Mike.  :thumb:

Jake

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2010, 06:01 am »
yes, closely matched tubes are not a requirement for the mahi's; they do have indiwidual bias pots for each tube...

doug s.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2010, 06:04 am »
note my prior posting re: these tubes - the 5k-hour (ev/eb)& 10k-hour (er/ep) iterations will cost more...  and each tube gets biased separately, so close tube matching is not necessary.

doug s.

toobluvr

« Reply #47 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:06 pm »
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

......but the Manleys are more musical.

I got the Manley sounding very sweet... What a great sounding amp!

So much texture and things going on in the music now. Big difference from my other amps.
And the bass is fantastic! HEy, Im in the honeymoon period! ;)

Another convert...or at least admirer.  Have fun!   :thumb:

Check the neighborhood you are in before expressing some of these sentiments.   SS zoned areas....especially Bryston Village......get very intimidated by these sorts of comparisons.  Especailly the M and S words (musical and sweet) in the same breath as tubes.  You will be viciously assaulted and roughed up!     :deadhorse:   :lol:

But you are safe here in the bosom of like minded zealots.   8)

Interesting how this sort of conversion seems to only occur in one direction.   :scratch:  Something to ponder on.

gerald porzio

« Reply #48 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:43 pm »
"Interesting how this sort of conversion seems to only occur in one direction.  Something to ponder on."

Why ponder? No extra heat in summer, no keeping track of output tube hrs., no rebiasing, less noise, lower distortion, lower operating costs, & more bang for the buck. Midrange magic is nothing more than euphonic distortion. Other than that, tubes are great.

toobluvr

« Reply #49 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:55 pm »
"Interesting how this sort of conversion seems to only occur in one direction.  Something to ponder on."

Why ponder? No extra heat in summer, no keeping track of output tube hrs., no rebiasing, less noise, lower distortion, lower operating costs, & more bang for the buck. Midrange magic is nothing more than euphonic distortion. Other than that, tubes are great.

Here we go!   So predictable.   So combative when one of your ranks peels off and joins the other camp....or even simply acknowledges that there is something special about tubes.   :roll:

Why you SS guys feel compelled to do this is a big mystery to me.  Massive insecurity, perhaps?

Just let people enjoy what they enjoy.   Your way isn't the only way.  Maybe some day you too will see the light.   It's been known to happen.     :lol:

BTW, I meant this conversion:   SS  >>>> Tubes.
Your reply suggests that you thought it the other way.......which in my experience is a very rare animal.

mcullinan

« Reply #50 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:17 pm »
I still have the Nuforce and will swap them back in, but are they SS.. I think they sound somewhere in between... I also have a Parasound HCA 1500 in my second system which I love. Very natural. This gets hot too, not as hot as tubes albeit. That said...

To each his own... ears are all different shapes. Maybe bigger ears have a sonic collecting advantage... hehe. In the end its about enjoying what you hear. Why would you subject yourself to something you didnt like, for correctness. Ive heard some way more realistic systems and I wouldnt want to own them. They do things my system cant. Its about enjoying the music! Peace.
M

ohenry

« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:22 pm »
Massive insecurity, perhaps?

Tubile envy.   :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:40 pm »

To each his own... ears are all different shapes. Maybe bigger ears have a sonic collecting advantage... hehe. In the end its about enjoying what you hear. Why would you subject yourself to something you didnt like, for correctness. Ive heard some way more realistic systems and I wouldnt want to own them. They do things my system cant. Its about enjoying the music! Peace.
M

Spot on!  This is the exact arguement I have made.....many times over.  But there are always guys out there who wanna conform everyone to one absolute "right way"  and rain on parades.

Accurate, smaccurate.
Linear, sminear.
Neutral, schmeutral.

Why argue for those things?  Who even knows what they are?  Many of the systems I have heard described that way sound completely unlistenable to me.

In business school one of the mantras was "profit maximization".  In audio the mantra should be PLP max (= personal listening pleasure maximization).

Who's got the number for TAS...I might be onto something here!    :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:45 pm »

you mean all those switching from s/s to tubes do it so they don't have to re-bias tubes, so they don't have extra summer heat, so they have lower operating costs, so they have more bang for buck?  i don't think so!  and, there's rarely tube guys going back to solid state, so don't try to get me to believe that's what you meant!   :lol:

i think there's so many folks going to tubes from s/s because what you call "euphoric distortion" is, in reality, "more close to what real live music sounds like".   :green:

but, hey, i am biased.  yes, it needs adjusting once in a while.   :lol:

doug s.

mcullinan

« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2010, 04:52 pm »
I picked up a Fluke 115 for biasing. It has a lot of switches and buttons.. lol. Triode Pete, who is in Power says its the industry standard and very accurate. I know I am going to be a nutty biaser. lol. Biasing is kind of fun... I mean .. sort of.
M

toobluvr

« Reply #55 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:11 pm »
Tubile envy.   :lol:

Ya think GP has a comb-over and a penis-mobile?

:lol:

gerald porzio

« Reply #56 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:14 pm »
Maybe tubers have penis envy like many SUV owners.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #57 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:17 pm »
Maybe tubers have penis envy like many SUV owners.
maybe not.   8)    :lol:

tubers yust have live music enwy.   :thumb:

doug s.
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2010, 06:31 pm by doug s. »

gerald porzio

« Reply #58 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:24 pm »
The best description I've come across for tubers is Audio Amish. :drool:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #59 on: 27 Feb 2010, 05:40 pm »