Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks

twitch54

Re: Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2010, 01:42 am »

Wow! They take a while to sound their best 30+ min Id say.

Completely normal for tube gear (I never adjust bias on my Rogue M-150's untill at least 30 min has gone by)

Congrats on your foray into 'valves'  !!!

ohenry

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:02 pm »
Nice... I see some of your setup on Audiogon. Ill check those tubes out. MAn I am enjoying the hell out of these little amps. Like a kid in a candy store! ;)
I have a Mullard ECC801S in the front tube position and right behind that is a Raytheon. The other tubes are EL84 Amperex from JApan/ 1970s.
M

For current production tubes check out Genalex - Gold Lion N709 / EL84 reissues or TAD EL84.  My favorites are Amperex D-getters from the late '50's, but finding and buying that many will be a buzz kill.   :(

R_burke

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2010, 03:34 pm »
I also just recently got Mahi Mahi.  I'm using them with GR Research OB-5 speakers in Triode/Min feedback mode and loving them.

All this talk about rolling, does it make sense to change out tubes this early?
and if so, is the 12AT7 the best place to start?

mcullinan

« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2010, 04:08 pm »
Naggots suggested these.
You may like to try changing the 12AT7 tubes to these http://www.tubemonger.com/Brimar_CV4033_NOS_1960_62_Prem_CV4024_STC_Eng_FAC_p/2042m.htm
I have a Mullard ECC801S in now. The person I purchased from said the SS is much larger with the Mullard. I have the original tubes to, but its sounding good so..

So much texture and things going on in the music now. Big difference from my other amps.
And the bass is fantastic! HEy, Im in the honeymoon period! ;)

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2010, 10:49 pm »
Were it me, I'd say not just yet. Personally I would want to get to know the gear very well first, then play around. But, others jump right in there.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2010, 11:11 pm »
I also just recently got Mahi Mahi.  I'm using them with GR Research OB-5 speakers in Triode/Min feedback mode and loving them.

These are the first amps I've ever used that I totally loved just the way EveAnna ships 'em. Plus, the factory tests all parameters of the tubes before the amps are shipped. You can roll if you want I guess. Me? It ain't broke, so I'm not "fixing" anything.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 22 Feb 2010, 08:08 am »
Mahi Mahi....tasty Mike !!!

Enjoy.....and welcome to the tube world...

Variety is nice....

JoshK

« Reply #27 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:00 pm »
These are the first amps I've ever used that I totally loved just the way EveAnna ships 'em. Plus, the factory tests all parameters of the tubes before the amps are shipped. You can roll if you want I guess. Me? It ain't broke, so I'm not "fixing" anything.

I would agree with this, especially coming from EveAnna.  She knows here stuff it seems.  The 12AT7 is specifically chosen in a PP amp to yield a net waterfall harmonic distribution.   Putting a more linear tube in its place messing this balance up.  One actually needs to understand how even harmonics are canceled in a PP amp and how the appropriate feed forward cancellation can net some of the odds.

mcullinan

« Reply #28 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:06 pm »
So I should put the original tube back in.. once I get a handle on the sound I will swap for the one that came with it.

And their size (pretty small) is not equal to their sound... like the class D of tubes (sizewise!)
M

naggots

« Reply #29 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:38 pm »
EveAnna also suggests that the EI 12AT7 are her favorite but she doesn't have commercial qtys any more so the EHs were introduced. You can buy the EIs from Manley at $60 each.

The 12AT7 is important. I prefer the sound of the Brimar myself, I tried the Mullard CV4024 from Upscale http://www.upscaleaudio.com/Mullard-CV402412AT7_p_31.html after reading EveAnna saying Kevin was a preferred seller. I still prefer the 1960 Brimar CV4033 from Tubemonger.

We're all different.

I'd like to try ECC801S but they are expensive :drool:

mcullinan

« Reply #30 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:55 pm »
What tubes do you use in the EL84 spots?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #31 on: 24 Feb 2010, 03:04 am »
i have never tried these tubes, but i am strongly considering getting some for my el84 amps - they're dirt cheap, are spec'd like the stronger 7189's, & are rated for 10k hours serwice life.  on other forums, i have read that these tubes sound great, up there w/the fancy nos tubes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6p14p-er-7189-EL84-QTY-8_W0QQitemZ220561407053

doug s.

naggots

« Reply #32 on: 24 Feb 2010, 03:20 am »
I haven't got anything too special in the EL 84 , current production JJs, I find them warmer and punchier than the stock Russians, but they require more bias checking, they tend to drift a bit. I'm on the look out for some NOS but 8 tubes can cost 1/2 as much as the amps? Crazy. 

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 24 Feb 2010, 03:31 am »
I haven't got anything too special in the EL 84 , current production JJs, I find them warmer and punchier than the stock Russians, but they require more bias checking, they tend to drift a bit. I'm on the look out for some NOS but 8 tubes can cost 1/2 as much as the amps? Crazy.
check out the tubes i mentioned above - 8 tubes for $60 shipped.   research them, re: other's comments about their sonic performance.

doug s.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #34 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:43 pm »
I have a Mullard ECC801S in the front tube position and right behind that is a Raytheon. The other tubes are EL84 Amperex from JApan/ 1970s.
M

Looks to me like your tube selection should be sounding superb. :thumb:

Enjoy!

gerald porzio

« Reply #35 on: 25 Feb 2010, 05:52 pm »
Going by their product names prompts one to ask if they were in the fish biz before the audio biz?

mcullinan

« Reply #36 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:03 pm »
They do sound good. I guess Im getting used to hearing more of the actual recording. Some sound phenomenol and some sound pretty bad. Where the Nuforce made everything sound pretty good.

I also swapped back into the system a couple sets of Blue Jean cables since they are shielded and the only ones I have in house. Previous I was running all MAC Palladium. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have ordered some Grover SX interconnects, should be here in a few weeks.
M

I think they just went with a fish theme.... maybe they are near the ocean? Or were hungry?

mcullinan

« Reply #37 on: 25 Feb 2010, 06:15 pm »
i have never tried these tubes, but i am strongly considering getting some for my el84 amps - they're dirt cheap, are spec'd like the stronger 7189's, & are rated for 10k hours serwice life.  on other forums, i have read that these tubes sound great, up there w/the fancy nos tubes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6p14p-er-7189-EL84-QTY-8_W0QQitemZ220561407053

doug s.
They look interesting. It is crazy having to buy 8 can get so expensive if you are thinking NOS.

JakeJ

« Reply #38 on: 26 Feb 2010, 10:12 am »
Are those cobwebs on the tube pins??

naggots

« Reply #39 on: 27 Feb 2010, 03:56 am »
How do these differ to the stock 6Pi14Pi-EB ?