Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks

gerald porzio

Re: Manley Mahi Mahis Monoblocks
« Reply #80 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:09 am »
I realize that good to excellent tube products exist. What bugs me is proclamations that somehow one will be unfulfilled w/o a tube gear system. Mac & ARC were tube amps that I heard 35 yrs. ago. They were very good then & better now. Forced to, I could live happily w/ them. I simply choose not to invest $ & time on maintenance & the occasional repair.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #81 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:18 am »
I know how you feel.  :thumb:

There are pro's and con's to tube & ss technologies. Some people like dials, knobs, etc.. on their equipment while others want to flip a switch and be done with it. One is always going to be better than the other regarding specific aspects. We simply choose what we want to work with.

I find properly executed hybrid systems in good taste.

toobluvr

« Reply #82 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:20 am »
I realize that good to excellent tube products exist. What bugs me is proclamations that somehow one will be unfulfilled w/o a tube gear system. Mac & ARC were tube amps that I heard 35 yrs. ago. They were very good then & better now. Forced to, I could live happily w/ them. I simply choose not to invest $ & time on maintenance & the occasional repair.

So what...that's you.  You're entitled to feel that way and it is a legitimate choice.  Others feel differently.  Some people do derive more satisfaction from tubes.  What's wrong with that?   No reason to dive into innane drivel mode and attack them for their choices.  Noone attacks you for yours. 

Again I ask...what insecurity makes you feel so threatened just because some guys hear something in tubes that lights their wick, and you don't?   It seems to really bother you that some have an affinity for tubes. Just be content with what you hear and your own choices.

toobluvr

« Reply #83 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:33 am »
The Manley isnt warm or slow, its very fast, neutral, dynamic & detailed. They (Manleys) seem pretty accurate to me.
M

I agree with this assessment of Manley.  Sounds more like SS than lots of SS gear.  At least that's my experience with the two Manley pieces I owned: 300B monos and Control Master preamp.   Especially the preamp. 

The preamp was absolute SOA with respect to speed, slam, transparency and resolution of inner detail.  But no matter what I did it clung to its somewhat dry, coolish and analytical character and....well...just always sounded too SS'ish to me.  Had no soul, baby.  Hence I had to sell it!

Hey GP...hope you're not offended I feel that way!  Or maybe I  should ask your permission to feel that way.

:lol:

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #84 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:38 am »
Dude! You were caught red handed (AKA: Smoking gun...um amp) using a solid state amp!  :lol:

I remember this loooooooong (^10) thread about it.  :D

It's OK though. You're forgiven.

So what...that's you.  You're entitled to feel that way and it is a legitimate choice.  Others feel differently.  Some people do derive more satisfaction from tubes.  What's wrong with that?   No reason to dive into innane drivel mode and attack them for their choices.  Noone attacks you for yours. 

Again I ask...what insecurity makes you feel so threatened just because some guys hear something in tubes that lights their wick, and you don't?   It seems to really bother you that some have an affinity for tubes. Just be content with what you hear and your own choices.

gerald porzio

« Reply #85 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:38 am »
 Pointing out the downside of tubes is hardly an attack.  Pretty much everything has a downside, SS included. The downsides merely differ.

toobluvr

« Reply #86 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:51 am »
Dude! You were caught red handed (AKA: Smoking gun...um amp) using a solid state amp!  :lol:

Indeed I was!    :lol:

Just shows that I keep an open mind.    :thumb:

maxwalrath

« Reply #87 on: 28 Feb 2010, 01:52 am »
I'd say life on the pipe is very good for those who throw all measurements out the window proudly proclaiming that they know what they hear.

Pointing out the downside of tubes is hardly an attack.  Pretty much everything has a downside, SS included. The downsides merely differ.

It could be interpreted that you said that people who prefer the sound of tubes are unaware of knowing bad sound when they hear it, and are blinded to this truth for some reason...thus the testiness of the thread since then. 

toobluvr

« Reply #88 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:02 am »

"But Gerald, what would you do if you heard Amp A that had 1000 times more distortion, a tenth the power bandwidth, much worse damping factor, lower power output and 20 db higher noise level than Amp B (Not Aunt Bea from Mayberry, Amp B) - Yet sounded vastly superior to Amp B?"

I'd say life on the pipe is very good for those who throw all measurements out the window proudly proclaiming that they know what they hear. Even the fish who inspire the designers would join me in choosing amp B..

Hmmmmm......the logic of knowingly and intentionally choosing an inferior sounding amp.....is well.....staggeringly illogical!  Me thinks perhaps too much acid?   :lol:

What more needs be said.  The man can't be reasoned with.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #89 on: 28 Feb 2010, 02:38 am »
On a little more serious note: A tube or solid state amp making a song sound better then it should is not technically right. It might be enjoyable, but it isn't right. It has been my experience that amps which 'choose songs' to improve often make other ones sound worse.
what you want is gear that makes everything sound better.  that's what's technically right.  it may or may not measure better than something else.  measurements are a start, but shouldn't be the final goal.   imo.

doug s.,
presently enjoying fm on a s/s tuna (no, not manley!), thru tube pre fed to digital dsp/x-over for tri-amped speakers:  feeding a tube amp thru a tube buffer for >300hz, and two s/s amps for below - one for 80-300hz, the other for <80hz.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #90 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:21 am »
mfsoa....

When I biamp w/ the VAC on mid/tweets and the Cherry on bass, not only do you get the advantage of the grip of ClassD on the bass, but because the tubes on top will be loafing along with not having to do bass duties, the quality of the mid/tweet reproduction takes a big step up, IMO and in my system.

Sounded very good at your "Rave" Mike.... :beer:

toobluvr

« Reply #91 on: 28 Feb 2010, 04:18 pm »

PS:  and I'm using another SS amp right now.  Bottom amp in passive bi-amp configuration.  Ain't nobody gonna accuse me of being a blinded toob-o-phile!

JakeJ

« Reply #92 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:35 pm »

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTT!

Logical and intuitive, oh wise one, but not true!!     :nono:   :lol:

I thought exactly the same thing....that matching input sensitivities was the critical criteria to getting balanced sound when using two different amps.  Then I asked a circuit builder who surely knows more than me.  The key is  the amp's "voltage gain" which is a function of input sensitivity (and output power), but not the same thing.  This is copy / paste of our actual email conversation.

Q:  In general, does the more sensitive amp need the volume control?   

A:   Not necesarily.   Choosing the amps for biamping based on its sensitivity spec... that may be tricky.  There are several variables.  What really matters is the amp's voltage gain. In theory you want the figure to be identical for the two amps.

Amplifier sensitivity is (typically) defined as input voltage that will drive the amp to the brinks of saturation. So 1.1V sensitive 100W amp will have much higher voltage gain than 1.1V sensitive 30W amplifier.

Let's assume 8 ohm load... 100W amplifier will have output voltage (Vout) of ~28V and 30W amp ~15V (I'm rounding numbers here). Pout=(Vout)^2 : Rout

So the voltage gain is going to be 28/1.1=25 and 15/1.1=14, respectively.

If the 30W tube amp is to match gain of the 100W SS amp (25x), it's sensitivity will need to be (14:25)x1.1=0.5V.

So that was easy... The problem is that we do not know power distribution below and above 800Hz. It depends from track to track, but I would WAG typically 80% below, 20% above 800Hz.... for complex (orchestral music), 90/10 for less complex pieces....

Knowing that you're not blasting music and need higher power to get a good grip on the woofers, I am guessing that even 20W is pretty conservative number for the tube amp... which gives you a lot of options to play with...

In practice, volume control does the job.... Which amp is more sensitive is not that relevant as long as the lower sensitivity amp has enough gain to give you adequate sound levels.

Hmmmmm....easy for him to say.    :o   Most of it is Greek to me, but I was able to figure out that for a given input to the amp (as given by the master volume control), each amp must put out the same number of watts into the speaker.  This is determined by "voltage gain", not "sensitivity". 

His example clearly shows that it is possible to have identical amp input sensitivites, yet different voltage gains.  Therefore, the amps are not a match, and the louder amp (ie: one w higher voltage gain) would need the volume pot to attenuate and balance things.

(He mentions 800Hz and power distribution because that is the Sunny crossover point.)

OK, I'm always open to being educated by people smarter than me...since just about everyone is.  The math makes sense and is a far better explanation than just "making sure the sensitivity ratings match".  In addition I suppose it's possible that two amps could have matching gain but one is not linear compared to the other across that gain.  Thanks for the clarification, John.

Gents, it's been pretty civil so far and for that I thank you.  Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion of Manley Mahi amps:thumb:

Regards,
Jake

toobluvr

« Reply #93 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:47 pm »
OK, I'm always open to being educated by people smarter than me...since just about everyone is. 

Hey Jake...

With this stuff I'm not any smarter than you.....TRUST ME!     :o 
I'm not even smarter than the avg bear.   But my tech friend surely is!  I need to keep him on retainer to make it thru half this stuff!

:lol:     :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #94 on: 28 Feb 2010, 05:58 pm »
Made some more adjustments... hehe. I have a lot of switches now. Ive got gain dial on preamp, switches for gain on top of preamp (Supratek Sauvignon), and switches on the Manley. Plus volume on Squeezebox.
So going with standard on Manley (most evenly balanced to my ears) and one click up on pre hain plus highest gain on top of pre.. Gives me a nice full presentation. If I do medium on top of pre and lowest on dial mids get thinner and voice is pushed back. And presentation is a little cooler sounding. If I put MAnley on minimum feedback (front row) it sounds good but not as full as I like. If I only had MORE switches haha! I think Im there, though I had to lower the Squeezebox volume, I may be losing bits, but sounds good!
M

toobluvr

« Reply #95 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:04 pm »

Nice to have flexibility for sonic shaping.  Me likes knobs and dials!  Strap yerself in....tighten that chinstrap......

"Ground control to Major Tom...."

:thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #96 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
Ya want switches?  Here ya go!  Pick one or the other.

mjosef

« Reply #97 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:30 pm »
Good one. Just an "off/on" switch for men.  :lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #98 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:33 pm »
Me takes the one for wimmins.....with all the purdy colors.

"commencing countdown, engines on."

mcullinan

« Reply #99 on: 28 Feb 2010, 06:36 pm »
haha.. Thats my wife ordering her dinner. Then she complains afterward... "They got it wrong!"

Honey they are cooks, not scientists... ;)
M