Toyota Recall

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Toyota Recall
« Reply #80 on: 3 Feb 2010, 04:31 pm »
There is supposed to be a Mercedes 240D somewhere in North Africa that logged 4.6 million miles as a taxi. The owner had 3 motors that he swapped in rotation for a total of eleven exchanges over that time. It is supposedly ensconced in the Mercedes Museum now because of having logged the most miles on record.
Like ctviggen says, however, this doesn't prove anything. Most any non-Yugo automaker could cite examples of extreme longevity.
I still have to credit Toyota with making some of the best cars on the road before they became mainstream and stylish. The Second Gen Camry that Wolfie and I have was made from 1987 thru 1991. That means that the youngest one on the road today is 19 years of age. Most of you probably don't notice but I, as an owner, see dozens of them driving around every day. Their longevity and durability is incredible.
I'm not so sure they make as good a car today.

jackman

« Reply #81 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:05 pm »
Transportation Secretary says not to drive recalled Toyotas until fixed.  If you do, you might want to wear a helmet and some extra padding at least. Vroom vroom.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100203/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_recall

turkey

« Reply #82 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:13 pm »
The Audi 5000 issue was different....nothing got stuck; it was that the accelerator pedal had a smaller-than-average brake pedal and was located close to the gas pedal

The Audi acceleration issue was an operator error (the vast majority turned out to be women mowing down their kids and crashing into garages or incoming cars as they were backing out)

With the Toyota, it seems to be a mechanical glitch whereby the accelerator is actually getting stuck open without one's foot on it.

That's what I was questioning. Is it actually a mechanical glitch, or is it simply that the accelerator pedal is being blamed since it would be a PR nightmare to suggest that the stupid drivers were at fault?

I'm not pointing blame at anyone - but, it happens to be a US manufacturer that makes it and versions of it are even used on Ford trucks in China that may be affected.  So, Toyota may only be at 'fault' for not finding the rectifying the issue a little sooner. 

Except that I also saw some info saying that the problem also shows up in Toyota cars going back to 1999, well before CTS even started making the pedals.

http://www.ctscorp.com/publications/press_releases/nr100129.htm

At this point I'm just not sure we have the whole story.

turkey

« Reply #83 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:19 pm »
You mean that according to the people who take the time to fill out the report for Consumer Reports, the U.S. makers are still behind the Japanese and Hyundai.  That's a pretty select group (for instance, I've never been offered to respond to Consumer Reports regarding any of the cars I've owned).  I don't put too much stock into these types of reports, as they tend to be biased.

CU has always seemed to be very careful about avoiding bias, and about conducting their surveys correctly.

JD Powers?  Maybe; at least it's an attempt at a sampling of all people, not just those who read Consumer Reports.

It always appeared to me that their awards were bought and paid for.

turkey

« Reply #84 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:22 pm »
It ain't simple as that. It's all just your opinion. I've had 4 Ranger trucks with not one problem. I bought 2 new Fords this year, a F150 and Fusion. The F150 won truck of the year, and the Fusion is eveywhere on the road. People like them. This is actually my second Fusion, great car and highly recommended.

Wayner

The F150 is a good truck. As for the Ranger, I thought it was a Mazda design?

turkey

« Reply #85 on: 3 Feb 2010, 05:26 pm »
It's never the sole decision-maker for me....but, it is helpful to read the experiences of tens of thousands that have filled out the questionnaires and read their driving reports. Consumer Reports is a non-profit organization that exists only thru the largess of their subscriber base. It keeps them largely agnostic as to favorite makes.

My father always relied on CU when buying a car, and so have my 2 brothers. I didn't listen, and I had a series of cars from Ford and GM that were unreliable. I finally wised up, and now I too have a good car.

I plan to use CU as my main source of info the next time I go car shopping.

jackman

« Reply #86 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:38 pm »
Here is a tape of the guy who had time to call 911 when his Toyota accelerated out of control but didn't think to put the car in neutral or just push down on the brakes.  At the very least, pull the emergency brake or put the car in park.  Not doing anything was the worst thing he could have done.  Very chilling audio, like a bad dream. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03m7fmnhO0I

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #87 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:39 pm »
I have a 1997 GMC K1500 4x4 with 200,000 miles and it runs good.   No major repairs besides the normal things.   It has a few bumps and bruises and I don't use it much anymore since I bought my death-box.   It is used for going to the lumber yard, dump and occasionally when we get a good snow and need the 4WD to get up and down the mountain. 

My wife drives a Dodge Caravan 4 cyln. with 150,000 miles.... just replaced the original transmission for $2K.    It goes through a quart of oil or so every 3000 miles and it has had a lot of little niggles but I keep repairing it.    I'd buy her a new one but there is nothing that carries 8 people that gets better fuel economy and she likes it.   There is nothing more affordable for her to drive. 

I have a Hyundai Accent bought last year.   It gets 34 MPG and we use it for all the running around, trips to the store, picking up kids after school and the other hubbub.   

Modern vehicles go a long time if you take care of them.   I almost feel sorry for Toyota but they have been the media darling for so long that it was bound to happen sooner or later.   

Cacophonix

« Reply #88 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:43 pm »
Here's an interesting take -
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1958379,00.html

In my experience, what is mentioned in the article is true. People who shop domestic rarely look at imported (read japanese), and vice versa.

Cacophonix

« Reply #89 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:49 pm »
And here's a helpful video on what to do if your accelerator gets stuck.
I'm glad that i'm drive a jetta  :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT07_JbnKWQ

jackman

« Reply #90 on: 3 Feb 2010, 06:50 pm »
My point was that no matter who designed or manufactured a particular component, it is the company using/selling it that will be held accountable...which is why Ford deserved to be accountable with the tire issue and Toyota should be held accountable the same.  You disagreed on the Ford issue....despite agreeing with me that Toyota should be held accountable for using the pedal.    That...doesn't...make....sense.

You're a "Homer" because you put people who buy Japanese automobiles in the same group.  I don't care that it's Japanese, actually, I care that they work better for longer....as do others who buy from the company(s).

I have a million reasons to buy American...I get a nice discount for buying one.  This is part of the reason why they have an advantage with the economy down...lots of people get a discount through family.

Cujo, I stand corrected.  Even Hitler agrees with you guys regarding Toyota quality.  He's really angry about this recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ind98EWAPek&feature=related

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #91 on: 4 Feb 2010, 12:27 am »
Cujo, I stand corrected.  Even Hitler agrees with you guys regarding Toyota quality.  He's really angry about this recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ind98EWAPek&feature=related

That was hilarious.   I sent it to my buddy that works for GM.

cujobob

« Reply #92 on: 4 Feb 2010, 12:31 am »
Screwing up is for Detroit lol

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #93 on: 4 Feb 2010, 07:27 am »
A few notes from the news...

The car industry could face a broader challenge because of Mr. LaHood's decision to have the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigate claims that electromagnetic interference could cause electronic throttle systems such as those used in many Toyota models to malfunction.

That in turn could raise questions about the industry's wholesale move to computerized systems, done in part to meet fuel-efficiency requirements.

Toyota has blamed sudden acceleration on just two causes: out-of-position floor mats and sticky accelerator pedals.

Electronic throttles replace mechanical links between the gas pedal and the throttle with electronic relays. The systems, used widely in the industry, reduce vehicle weight and fuel waste.

NHTSA said it had begun a "fresh look" at both electronic throttle control systems and the possible effects of electromagnetic interference on them. The agency said it has no reason at this point to believe there are safety defects in the systems or in their ability to function when exposed to electromagnetic interference.

IMHO....I think its the electronic throttle control system....progress at a cost...we'll see what develops.... :?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #94 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:31 am »
The car industry could face a broader challenge because of Mr. LaHood's decision to have the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigate claims that electromagnetic interference could cause electronic throttle systems such as those used in many Toyota models to malfunction.

If it is indeed a case of conflicting technologies, ban cell phones.  The human race can survive without them.  Transportation is far more important than chit chat.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #95 on: 4 Feb 2010, 08:46 am »
Toyota posts $1.7 billion quarterly profit  :o

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/msnbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=23392778

I guess this little 'recall' matter will help keep them humble.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #96 on: 4 Feb 2010, 04:53 pm »
Electronic throttles replace mechanical links between the gas pedal and the throttle with electronic relays. The systems, used widely in the industry, reduce vehicle weight and fuel waste.
How about the electronic sensors and actuators that have replaced the mechanical steering shaft. If there's one thing that scares the Hell out of me is the fact I no longer have a metal rod connecting my steering wheel to the tires. I know aircraft use it successfully, but they incorporate more backups, safeguards, and (I assume) better engineering and higher quality parts.
Some things shouldn't be messed with. They've stood the test of time and nobody has died from them. The extra couple pounds you've saved by eliminating a shaft isn't worth dying for.
The "savings" from eliminating the throttle cable is complete and utter B.S.
The cable weighs several ounces. The sensors on the accelerator pedal, and the actuator/motor under the hood mounted on the throttle body increase the weight of the system by ten fold. They've increased the weight big time.

Bob

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #97 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:15 pm »
I'm sure Toyota did not skimp on engineering to create a liability for themselves  :duh:, they made an error obviously in design. A costly error at that when people die.  So they must correct it ASAP. Take care of the families who lost loved ones due to this engineering error and move on.
  Does anyone here think that Toyota would purposely install a system that would incur this liability. Toyota is a stand up company, it makes no sense.
  A crisis which this is for Toyota I believe is being used by some as an agenda to buy US made cars." Never let a crisis go to waste".  :nono: We should support our US manf, just not this way IMO.

charles

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #98 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:19 pm »
Reminds me of Fight Club when I hear things like this...

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #99 on: 4 Feb 2010, 05:32 pm »
How about the electronic sensors and actuators that have replaced the mechanical steering shaft. 
Bob

I just bought a Honda Fit with electronic ASSIST. The electronic assist replaces the hydraulic assist. It is still coupled mechanically. I could be wrong, and frequently am, but I believe that all electronic steering is like this.