Toyota Recall

macrojack

• Restricted
Toyota Recall
« on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:21 pm »
Has anyone here been affected? How?

In my case, it pays to be poor. I have 4 Toyotas and they are all too old to be included.

steve k

Re: Toyota Recall
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:25 pm »
Me too. I have three older models that all still run like a top. I think this whole thing is a media bonanza to bash Toyota and pump up American car sales. What American car company would have the stones to stop selling to deal with a recall??
steve

cujobob

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:28 pm »
Recalls happen, it's unfortunate.  I do think it's being overblown as a way of putting down the normally super-reliable Japanese automaker.  Perhaps everyone in the country missed all of the recalls by the Big Three over the years...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:37 pm »
Me too. I have three older models that all still run like a top. I think this whole thing is a media bonanza to bash Toyota and pump up American car sales. What American car company would have the stones to stop selling to deal with a recall??
steve

Could not agree more. Have owned still own Toyota. We still have a 2000 Echo. Zero problems over 1000,000 miles. Ya just cannot kill this thing.

charles

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:46 pm »
Agreed. It probably is a mistake to nudge the giant out of its slumber. Toyota became the biggest automaker in the world against all odds and despite every disadvantage we could cook up for them.

My 1987 Camry has 292, 451 miles on it and still starts every morning and delivers 35 mpg in mixed use. Between burning and leaking, it uses a half quart of oil between 3000 mile oil changes. Plates are $65/yr. Insurance is $197 every 6 months, and depreciation is zero. Everything works except the gas gauge. Of course, it's rusty and looks like shit. Two sides to every coin.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:49 pm »
Could not agree more. Have owned still own Toyota. We still have a 2000 Echo. Zero problems over 1000,000 miles. Ya just cannot kill this thing.

That's amazing!  I've never known anyone to put a million miles on a vehicle.

Steve

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:50 pm »
Come on guys.  If any of the US carmakers were in a similar situation (massive recall that was this poorly handled), you would be the first guys touting the great reliability of your Toyotas.  Every auto manufacturer goes through recalls but this one was very poorly handled and Toyota will have to take their medicine. 

I'm surprised at the morons who are crashing because they can't figure out how to put their car in neutral and lay on the brakes.  I had an old car with a sticky pedal (1973 Pontiac Lemans).  Once in a while when I floored the car, the gas pedal would stick.  I would put my foot under the pedal and pull up, or just pump the pedal to put it back in the "normal" position.  Yesterday, on the radio, they played the 911 tape of a guy whose gas pedal on his Toyota stuck, causing him to reach speeds of 100+mph and eventually crash into an intersection.  What kind of moron has the presence of mind to dial 911 and scream to an operator about his stuck pedal but doesn't have the sense to just put the car in neutral and hit the brakes?  Idiot!

Cheers,

J

PS - you drivers of older Toyota cars are safe.  Good luck to the new Toyota drivers!  The life you save might be MINE!  :o

cujobob

« Reply #7 on: 2 Feb 2010, 06:55 pm »
The U.S. carmakers are not known for reliability, though.  Toyota is known for putting out a reliable product.  It's a bit different.  If a U.S. automaker was known for putting out a great, reliable product over a long period of time, they'd deserve a bit of understanding, too.  I'd say they got it...considering consumers still purchased vehicles in the 1990s  :duh:

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:02 pm »
The U.S. carmakers are not known for reliability, though.  Toyota is known for putting out a reliable product.  It's a bit different.  If a U.S. automaker was known for putting out a great, reliable product over a long period of time, they'd deserve a bit of understanding, too.  I'd say they got it...considering consumers still purchased vehicles in the 1990s  :duh:

Toyota is known for quality so it's a story when they screw up this big.  Remember what happened to Audi when they had a similar issue with teh 5000?  At least that was confined to one car.  The other troubling aspect of this recall is how long it took Toyota to figure out what happened and how to fix it.  People buy Toyota for quality.  A defect -especially one that could kill you and your family - is going to hurt any auto manufacturer.  I've driven some new Toyotas and was not blown away.  I think American auto manufacturers have closed the gap.  I would take a new Taurus over a new Camry any day.  That's just one guy's opinion.  It's nicer looking, more fun to drive and there is less of a chance that it will accelerate uncontrolably and kill my family.   :wink:

Cheers,

J

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:10 pm »
Audi supposedly had the same problem at one point. I always figured it was people who couldn't tell the brake pedal from the accelerator.

It's also odd that nobody thinks of turning off the ignition switch before crashing into a bridge abutment or whatever with a sticking accelerator.

It's certainly possible this is a real problem. I don't know one way or the other. I also think Toyota is doing the right thing, and I wonder why people are making so much fuss about it.

cujobob

« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:12 pm »
I agree the quality is close right now, but the fact that it took bankrupcy to make it happen is something I'm just not fond of (just my opinion, obviously).

I won't touch driving preferences...to each their own.

There have been plenty of recalls related to safety...tires splitting, seat belts, etc. etc.  A transmission, engine, or other failure can also injure you or your family...so buying a normally reliably car theoretically should make them safer.

Right now, I'd buy a Honda, though my last car was an '02 Camry XLE that runs like a top.  Reliability is key to me because of the amount of my budget allocated towards paying for a vehicle...it's not a 'throwaway' and it seems like that's the way they were being marketed.  Sort-of like computers...

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:18 pm »
I have 3 Toyotas (Highlander, Prius, and Yaris) and none are included in the recall.  It seems that the Toyotas that were made in the USA have the problems.  Why is that?  :scratch:

jackman

« Reply #12 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:25 pm »
Audi supposedly had the same problem at one point. I always figured it was people who couldn't tell the brake pedal from the accelerator.

It's also odd that nobody thinks of turning off the ignition switch before crashing into a bridge abutment or whatever with a sticking accelerator.

It's certainly possible this is a real problem. I don't know one way or the other. I also think Toyota is doing the right thing, and I wonder why people are making so much fuss about it.

It's not possible this is a real problem, it IS a real problem.  At least according to Toyota.  They admitted today (do a google search is you are interested) and from what I read, Jim Letz (top guy at Toyota Motors US)says:  "that it has figured how to repair all of those sticky accelerators in millions of its cars. But it won’t come easy, and, for Toyota, it won’t come cheap. It means reinforcing the entire pedal assembly, something so involved, it has to specially train its technicians how to do it.  "

This one is different than other recalls in the past.  It's massive and the defective assembly is used in millions of cars throughout the world.  I'm not gloating, heck, I don't even officially own an American car, but if this type of recall happened to Ford or GM, I'm sure they would hear about it from unhappy consumers. 

I've owned Hondas, a VW, BMW, Fords, GM cars, a Lexus, and a Chrysler.  I take great care of my cars and have had great luck with all of them except the Chrysler.  That car (from the 80's) was junk.  It had a VW engine and lots of electrical problems. 

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:36 pm »
steve

That is pure hogwash. I'm a Ford man and always have been. The quality is as good as anything else out there. If the media bashes any auto manufacturer, it would be US manufacturers. They have been kissing Toyota's ass for a long time. So if you want to praise your own car brand, that's fine, otherwise,,,,,,,,,,

ctviggen

« Reply #14 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:40 pm »
I have 3 Toyotas (Highlander, Prius, and Yaris) and none are included in the recall.  It seems that the Toyotas that were made in the USA have the problems.  Why is that?  :scratch:

The pedals at issue were manufactured by both U.S. and Japanese companies.  Your point is?

cujobob

« Reply #15 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:53 pm »
That is pure hogwash. I'm a Ford man and always have been. The quality is as good as anything else out there. If the media bashes any auto manufacturer, it would be US manufacturers. They have been kissing Toyota's ass for a long time. So if you want to praise your own car brand, that's fine, otherwise,,,,,,,,,,

This is the same crap my uncle (G.M. employee) tries to spew when we discuss things.  What possible reason could there be for the media to bash a U.S. based automaker?

It is a well known fact that Americans are overweight and uneducated when compared to other developed nations.  This would imply that they'd make inferior employees.  I'm not saying it is true 100% of the time, but it is worth mentioning.  Recalls are based on design quirks that go unnoticed until it's too late...this can be for a number of reasons....generally not based on any of this  :green:

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 2 Feb 2010, 07:59 pm »

This is not factually correct.  The defect is more involved than a simple part and the assemblies were made in more than one country.  It was a design flaw and not an easy or inexpensive one to fix.  From what I understand, the design of the assembly was Toyota's, not the part manufacturer's.  Toyota is lucky more people were not injured or killed as a result of this defect. 

Wayner

« Reply #17 on: 2 Feb 2010, 08:07 pm »
This is the same crap my uncle (G.M. employee) tries to spew when we discuss things.  What possible reason could there be for the media to bash a U.S. based automaker?

It is a well known fact that Americans are overweight and uneducated when compared to other developed nations.  This would imply that they'd make inferior employees.  I'm not saying it is true 100% of the time, but it is worth mentioning.  Recalls are based on design quirks that go unnoticed until it's too late...this can be for a number of reasons....generally not based on any of this  :green:

Oh? It must have been just plain luck that we are the worlds only super power, with our stupid American education. Or the fact that we saved the world several times from total Tyrants. Or the fact that we have the worlds largest economy and have had for some time. Or the fact that we have a lot of young people that haven't got a clue where their freedom came from, or who died to preserve it. Americans are bad emoployees? If I had a white glove, sir, consider yourself slapped across the face.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #18 on: 2 Feb 2010, 08:09 pm »

The Audi 5000 issue was different....nothing got stuck; it was that the accelerator pedal had a smaller-than-average brake pedal and was located close to the gas pedal

The Audi acceleration issue was an operator error (the vast majority turned out to be women mowing down their kids and crashing into garages or incoming cars as they were backing out)

With the Toyota, it seems to be a mechanical glitch whereby the accelerator is actually getting stuck open without one's foot on it.

I'm not pointing blame at anyone - but, it happens to be a US manufacturer that makes it and versions of it are even used on Ford trucks in China that may be affected.  So, Toyota may only be at 'fault' for not finding the rectifying the issue a little sooner. 

A public relations mess that they are likely to overcome with good, reliable cars in the future.

John

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 2 Feb 2010, 08:10 pm »
Hold it - Just a damn minute - Wayner is a Ford man. That makes the rest of us dead wrong.
Please remember the Explorer rollovers a few years back. That was as epic as this event, I believe. It sure got as much press. And the Pinto was shown to explode on rear impact. I'm sure there must be others - those are the only ones I remember at the moment.

Like someone said earlier - recalls happen. Because we American buyers respond as we do to cheaper prices, we encourage the introduction of cheaper products and inferior product is the natural consequence of that evolutionary pressure. You asked for it - you got it. Toyota.