Toyota Recall

TheChairGuy

Re: Toyota Recall
« Reply #380 on: 21 May 2010, 02:27 pm »
Maybe that is because of front wheel drive, good weight distribution and skinny tires, but I'm guessing about that.

That's pretty much it right there - but, it's probably not so much the weight distribution front-to-back as it is the heavy batteries are mounted close to the ground - giving the Prius a 'planted' feel that's hard to replicate with standard, motor-only driven FWD cars. Most of the Prius' weight is only a foot off the ground; most other cars have a much higher beltline.

The weight is distributed thru small contact patches - the tires - so it probably is a pretty safe car in snow and rain (active safety; don't know about it's passive safety features off hand)

I like that when my neighbor pulls up to talk while her car Prius is 'idling' - I find myself undistracted by the normal sounds of a car as there isn't any. She's sitting there in her car in eery silence and we're whispering in conversation.

I like hatchbacks, too...and it's got pretty good room inside for hauling.

I haven't driven one yet (maybe that's where it falls flat - as Toyota's I've found are want to do  :( ) - but it's pretty appealing from a few different angles for me. I wouldn't call myself an environmentalist - but the Prius seems to just be a smart idea at the right time in history.

John

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #381 on: 21 May 2010, 02:44 pm »
Funny you mention the Volvo XC. As a Volvo dealership employee (I have no love for Volvo either), I'm very familiar with the XC60, XC70, and XC90 vehicles and their capabilities. I'm slightly skeptical that a FWD low riding car can outperform any one of the AWD XCs in the snow.
>> here's a neat video <. I'd like to see a Prius join that fray.  :eyebrows:

As far as me buying a Prius, don't hold your breathe.  :wink:

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #382 on: 21 May 2010, 05:29 pm »
Bob - I watched the video all the way through but I must have blinked during the snow part because I don't remember seeing any. I have not driven my Prius in the snow but testimonials relayed to me by mutual friends say that the Prius gets around very well in Colorado mountain snow. That's all I know about the matter. I was skeptical as well because the first place I heard such a tale was from the dealer. Then I heard from a couple of other impartial types, like my doctor, that friends had told him as much.
Where I live it isn't really all that important. Besides, even if it does snow here, I don't usually have anywhere I have to go and I have other vehicles I can drive on such occasions.

John - My Prius engine shuts off at stoplights, as I'm sure you know, and my wife still tells me I stalled out whenever she feels the small shudder of the gas motor shutting down.
Here's a number for you. The electric motors in the Prius deliver 290 ft./lbs. of torque. Does that sound wimpy? The gas motor is tiny but unlike my other ones, it doesn't have to start the car from a standstill. It takes very little to accelerate once you are already rolling.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #383 on: 21 May 2010, 05:52 pm »
Bob - I watched the video all the way through but I must have blinked during the snow part because I don't remember seeing any.
Well, ok.....  :roll:
Snow or mud, either way is a challenge for a vehicle to drive through. I found a few snow videos but they're fairly boring. I chose this one because it was the most entertaining, interesting, and showed the ability of two XC Volvos.
Plus, it just looked like a Helluva lot of fun.

Bob

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #384 on: 21 May 2010, 06:19 pm »
Prius is probably not the best choice for fun or hauling. As a people mover on paved roads, it embarrasses most other cars from the standpoint of practicality. It clearly isn't for everyone but I know from first hand experience that a lot of people for whom it would be ideal refuse to so much as consider it out of some kind of preconception or misperception. Their loss.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

TheChairGuy

« Reply #386 on: 22 May 2010, 03:43 pm »
Very interesting tie-up between Toyota and Tesla :)

It partly saves the important NUMMI plant located on the East Bay in the San Francisco area...an area already hurt with high unemployment. 

There's a chorus of good news in that one, WolfyChris - thanks.

John

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #387 on: 22 May 2010, 03:58 pm »
It turns out that Daimler also holds a stake in Tesla. Arnold, of course, is congratulating himself for this one. Nonetheless, I agree with TCG that this is good news all around. The NUMMI plant was closed after GM bailed on their collaboration with Toyota building the Matrix/Vibe. Now this collaboration with Tesla, while good for California's employment picture, portends even more in its promise to help us move beyond BP and Exxon and the other polluters.

As an aside, I'm waiting for BP to start bragging about how they have helped control mosquitoes in the Gulf States.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #388 on: 22 May 2010, 04:28 pm »
As an aside, I'm waiting for BP to start bragging about how they have helped control mosquitoes in the Gulf States.
And lowered the unemployment rate of Gulf boat owners (to assist in the clean up).

martinr

« Reply #389 on: 22 May 2010, 04:50 pm »
Elon Musk also owns SPACEX - he wants to get into the commercial space launch business - planning on launching a new version of the Minotaur rocket from Cape Canaveral in the future

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #390 on: 11 Aug 2010, 03:10 am »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #391 on: 11 Aug 2010, 06:05 am »
Thanks for that, Wolf.  I'm about a week away from buyin a 2011 Sienna van.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #392 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:02 pm »
NASA is investigating?  :scratch:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #393 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:21 pm »
NASA is investigating?  :scratch:

That's because we're talking about some serious high tech.  Also, Toyota is in on the space program.  Surely you didn't think Mr. Sulu was piloting a Ford through the heavens?

BobM

« Reply #394 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:24 pm »
We got a service recall notice on our old/aging Sierra minivan. Apparently the cable holding up the spare tire, which is underneath the vehicle, can rust and snap. Not fun to have the spare tire fall off the car when you're on the highway.

Another issue with the old Sienna's that you should be aware of. Ours has a rubber-like lower panels all around the bottom of the car. They match the greish bumpers. These fade badly over time and actually begin showing the supporting ridges underneath that probably give them shape. No amount of Armor All will get rid of this, although it will darken them down for a time. toyota replaced our bumpers once under warantee but they wouldn't replace the door panels. 2 years afterwards the bumpers were right back to where they were before.

So if you're getting a Sienna Jim, make sure it is the better one with the full paintjob all the way down, and not the less expensive rubberized bottom half.

ctviggen

« Reply #395 on: 11 Aug 2010, 01:40 pm »
Well, ok.....  :roll:
Snow or mud, either way is a challenge for a vehicle to drive through. I found a few snow videos but they're fairly boring. I chose this one because it was the most entertaining, interesting, and showed the ability of two XC Volvos.
Plus, it just looked like a Helluva lot of fun.

Bob

You don't need awd to kick butt in the snow.  Here's a video of my Saab 9-3 Viggen (well, mine's red) using Nokian tires:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3853115427834736445#

I put Nokian tires on this car and it flies through the snow.  I can't understand the "need" for AWD in the snow.  Plus, the extra weight of AWD means it takes longer to stop, and believe me stopping is way more important than going when driving in the snow.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #396 on: 11 Aug 2010, 05:53 pm »
Impressive video. Looks like fun!

blutto

« Reply #397 on: 11 Aug 2010, 06:49 pm »
You don't need awd to kick butt in the snow.  Here's a video of my Saab 9-3 Viggen (well, mine's red) using Nokian tires:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3853115427834736445#

I put Nokian tires on this car and it flies through the snow.  I can't understand the "need" for AWD in the snow.  Plus, the extra weight of AWD means it takes longer to stop, and believe me stopping is way more important than going when driving in the snow.

...second the Nokian recommendation...the Hak's( their winter specific tire ) is a bit better than a Blizzack and it will last several seasons ( of course that depends on your mileage...I'm on my third winter cycle )...those tires on a Subie w/turbo is major fun!!!!!...and their WR G2 is also very good as long as the temp is not real cold ...  and an absolutely awesome rain tire...a genuine All Season tire though given the temp caveat ( its a durometer issue...true winter tires have softness as an important design parameter ...the G2 is a bit harder because it has to deal with summer heat )

Cheers

blutto