GAS - Christmas in September - NOW WITH PICS!!!

Scott F.

GAS - Christmas in September - NOW WITH PICS!!!
« on: 6 Aug 2009, 10:56 pm »
Well, its that time of year again. Time for our annual blowout, Christmas in September. This year I've chosen the weekend before RMAF, Saturday September 26th. We'll start around 2:00 and go until everybody either leaves or passes out. As usual, bring the girls so they can poke fun at all of us audio geeks. Hope that date works for everyone.

This year I'll have a number of rooms opened up for everyone's listening pleasure. This is what they'll look like;

The Blue Room
Lowther open baffles (150hz & up) driven by the Welborne 300b DRDs or the Handmade 2a3
Altec 416s filling in the bass duties (150hz & down) driven by the AKSA 55
Active crossover - well known mfgrs prototype
Modified Korato KVP-20 tubed pre
MHDT Havana tubed USB DAC with Foobar and ASIO
Opera LP-5 turntable, Dynavector 507MkII arm, Yamamoto YC03s LOMC cart, Slee Elevator head amp, Slee Reflex phonostage

The Redrum
Vandersteen 2ci speakers
Modified Radii KT88 monoblocks (~100wpc)
Modified Korato KVP-10 dual mono pre
Bolder modified SB3 (Statement mods)

The Green Room
This year I'm going to do a vintage system in this room
Large Advent speakers with the fried egg tweeters
Rebuilt HH Scott 299 (late A version)
AR ES-1 turntable with the Grace 707 arm and the Grace F9e cart
..probably another Bolder modified SB3 as a digital source
...oh, I'll probably set up the AH! Njoe Tjoeb as a CD player in there too

The Home Theater
Mits 62628 DLP
Aperion Audio 5.1 rig (634 center, 6T fronts, 633 rears, Bravus 12 sub)
Integra 9.8 pre/pro
Jolida 1501 hybrid on the fronts, Jolida 1704 hybrid on the center and rears
Oppo 983 DVD/SACD/DVDA/CD

Office System
Aperion Audio 632 monitors
Modified JoLida 102b integrated
Pop Pulse USB/S/PDIF converter
MHDT Paradisea DAC

Then if anyone wants to venture up, there is the Woodshop System
JBL 4410 Studio Monitors
Rotel 972 pre
Rotel 981 amp
Stock SB2 and the MHDT Constantine DAC
...and lots of zip cord and crappy interconnects

Headphone Rig (almost forgot)
Arcam 8se CD player
Slee Solo headphone amp

As usual, we won't be doing much equipment swapping, maybe just an SET amp in the Blue Room (I really want to hear Mark's latest creation). This is much more of a social gathering than a critical listening session.

There will be tons of music, lots of good eats and plenty to drink. As most know, I'm not a beer drinker so BYOB but I do have plenty of other things to wet your whistle if you like aged liquors. As the weeks go on, I'll update this post with what the menu will be and what you can bring (food wise) if you feel so inclined. I'll also keep a running list of attendees in this same post.

Hope one and all can make it  :thumb:   Be sure to post how many people are coming in your reply.

Food
OK, the dinner menu is going to look like this;

Bandana's BBQ
Laura is going to make her Potato casserole
We'll also have assorted munchies (chips, dip, and a veggie tray)

What you guys can bring (if you want) is a side dish, desert, fruit plate or something along those lines. Do me a favor and post what you are going to bring so that we all have an idea of who is bring what.

Attendee's and Food
2 - Laura and me - Bandanas, Potato casserole, assorted munchies
1 - Bob - Mostaccioli
1 - Mark and maybe Lisa
2 - Bryan and Sue
2 - Sturgus and Cynthia
1 - Ken
2 - Chris and maybe Tracey
1 - Steve
1 - Mark G
1 - Mac and maybe Sue
1 - Tim and maybe Aileen
1 - Vance and maybe Loretta
2 - Dwarfed Centipede +1
1 - Adrian
1 - Willie
1 - Rick and maybe Sarah
2 - Albert + 1
1 - Chris Hoff - Deli Tray
1 - Bo
1 - Deadfish - deviled eggs
1 - Joe K - veggie tray + desert
2 - Hammer +1
1 - Techwiz
2 - Kent Johnson and his wife
2 - Grant and Diane
1 - Harry
1 - Sarmck...maybe
1 - Thunderbrick (Bob)
5 - Tom Rogers, his Dad and three more guys
-----
42+  :o :o
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009, 05:12 pm by Scott F. »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: GAS - Christmas in September
« Reply #1 on: 7 Aug 2009, 12:42 am »
Count me in Scott, as always. This is one I wouldn't miss. I'd cancel rectal surgery to come to your Christmas parties.  :lol:

If you need it, I've got my Bolder modded SB3 (with cheapo linear power supply) and a SB Duet (bone stock).

Count me in for "one". I'll see if I can get a solid answer from the wife if she's coming (but I doubt it).  :wink:

What can we bring food wise?

Are we having "cigar time" in the work shop again?  aa

Bob

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:17 am »
I'm in but I'll be late.  Marching band competition that day in Sullivan.  See you in September.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:24 am »
I'll be there 99% sure.  Sue, 50/50 right now.  All depends on when the grandbaby is born and when she's gonna stay with her to help.

Bryan

sturgus

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »
Count me in. I will try and bring my darling wife.

Sturgus

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:54 am »
Scott,

I will arrange my schedule to be there.

Ken

MerRev

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:57 am »
I think my car knows the way now. :duh:
Count me in and maybe a plus one.

Don't know about the rectal surgery but I guess Bob's a trooper.  Looking forward to it.   :green:

Scott F.

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:01 am »
This is one I wouldn't miss. I'd cancel rectal surgery to come to your Christmas parties.  :lol:

I don't think I'll touch that comment  :rotflmao:

What can we bring food wise?

Realistically, we'll probably do something like Bandanas. Laura will probably whip up some of her potato casserole and we'll have the usual munchies and dip. We'll probably ask that people bring maybe a side dish or a desert.

Are we having "cigar time" in the work shop again?  aa

Absolutely  :thumb: Hey we can fire up stogies and listen to tunes on the front deck too   :smoke:

Hey Bryan, grandkids are cool. Early congrats  :thumb:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:05 am »
I'd cancel rectal surgery to come to your Christmas parties.  :lol:

Bob

Good.  Otherwise you'd be mute.
 :rotflmao:

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:07 am »
Count me in Scott. Sounds like another blast. It's good to know that you rate above rectal surgery too.  :green:
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:51 am »
Count me in. I will try and bring my darling wife.

Hey Sturg, if we feed enough wine to Cynthia and Laura, I bet we could charge admission for the event  :lol:
« Last Edit: 7 Aug 2009, 11:50 am by Scott F. »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:05 am »
Even though she may not come, there's a good chance I could get my lovely wife to whip up some of her (famous, in some circles) Mostaccioli [sp?].
But I'd pay money to have some of Sturges's wife make some of her AWESOME Beans.  aa

As far as my ass is concerned....It's doing fine, thanks for asking.
That last time the Doc was up there, he said it was "all clear".

Scott, it sounds like you've got more than enough equipment, but it would be my pleasure to bring something if it's needed.

Bob

mark@marktwain

« Reply #12 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:51 am »
Count me in Scott. I'll bring my new SET monoblocs although someone else will probably have to hump em to the man cave.

Scott do you or anyone else have a really nice pair of 45 tubes they could bring? A pair of TJ mesh plates would be awesome. Also are your TJ 2a3's the 2.5v or 5v version?

I plan to come down pretty early so I can stop by deadfish's place to pick up my new to me maggies. Then I'll head over to your place Scott, maybe hit Euclid first if I have time.

Scott is it ok if I crash at your place? That would also give us another chance to play with my new amps in your rig too.

I'm going to be on overload. Your bash and then Willie and I are going to RMAF the next weekend WooHoo!!

Mark
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2009, 10:03 pm by mark@marktwain »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 7 Aug 2009, 06:25 am »
Scott....
We'll start around 2:00 and go until everybody either leaves or passes out

So Scott....have you ever had a guest...."pass out" ? :o

Scott F.

« Reply #14 on: 7 Aug 2009, 11:29 am »
Mark,

Sure you can crash here. Got lots Futons or comfy sofas. Hey, since you are in town early, don't be bashful about showing up early.

When it comes to 45s, I've got a pair or two of NOS Sylvania and NUs. I think Willie has some Cunnigham Globes  :thumb: My 2a3s are the 2.5 volt meshies. Hmmmm, I wonder if we could bias your amp to run some of Willies 50s or a 10Y?

I think I'm going out to RMAF this year too. got my schedule freed and I'm planning on booking a hotel today. Should be fun!

Count me in Scott. I'll bring my new SET monoblocs although someone else will probably have to hump em to the man cave.

Scott do you or anyone else have a really nice pair of 45 tubes they could bring? A pair of TJ mesh plates would be awesome. Also are your TJ 2a3's the 2.5v or 5v version?

I plan to come down pretty early so I can stop by deadfish's place to pick up my new to me maggies. Then I'll head over to your place Scott, maybe hit Euclid first if I have time.

Ooooo you have the new Pass crossover, cool!

Scott is it ok if I crash at your place? That would also give us another chance to play with my new amps in your rig too.

I'm going to be on overload. Your bash and then Willie and I are going to RMAF the next weekend WooHoo!!

Mark

Scott F.

« Reply #15 on: 7 Aug 2009, 11:41 am »
Scott....
We'll start around 2:00 and go until everybody either leaves or passes out

So Scott....have you ever had a guest...."pass out" ? :o

...Kenrick

In his defense it was really late (around 3:00). He had been in and out a few times after midnight.

That next morning was a tough one for those who stayed.  :duh:  :lol:

Mac11700

« Reply #16 on: 7 Aug 2009, 01:53 pm »
Count me in..I can't vouch for Sue my wife yet...but 1 for sure..

Mac

mark@marktwain

« Reply #17 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:32 pm »
Cool, GAS will have a nice size group at RMAF. Scott, Willie, Bryan, myself, anyone else going?

Nope, can't run 10's or 50's. They need a 7.5v heater, I only have 2.5v, 5v or 6.3v in my amps right now. I probably have room to add another filament tranx in there though, maybe in the future.

Right now I can run a 45 or a 2a3. I still need to add the parallel cathode resistors for a 300b. I'll try to get that done before the bash.

I have a pair of TJ globe mesh 2a3's, TJ globe mesh 300b's and a pair of NOS 45's, Raytheon I think. I wasn't impressed with the 45's I have. The 2a3 sounds way better in my rig. I really want to try a pair of TJ globe mesh 45's before I fork out the 3 Franklin's to buy a pair. I also have some other 2a3's Sovtek, Shugaung B's and C's, Billington, Valve art. The TJ's trump em all.

Mark

electricbear

« Reply #18 on: 7 Aug 2009, 02:59 pm »
Put me down. well not literally.
I'll be there , don't know yet if I'll be flying solo or if I can get Aileen to come along.
Scott let me know if I can bring anything transportable from the store. Mac 1.2Kw mono blocks do not fall it to that category . :lol:

vhiner

« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2009, 12:41 am »
Hi Scott,

Sounds fantastic!  I'll be there...and will RSVP for my wife, Loretta, a bit later.

Vance