Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« Reply #120 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:40 pm »
Quote from: Mag
Mag,
First off, the Zombies is not a multichannel release, just stereo.  Moreover, if you are indeed transferring these SACDs to cd-r then how do you expect to preserve the "ultimate in high resolution" let alone the multichannel tracks (and what does multichannel stereo sound source mean?)?  SACD's cannot be ripped, only their redbook layer (assuming it's a hybrid; and then that redbook layer is, of course, neither hirez nor multichannel)?

I find that the cd layer from hybrid sacd to be the best recordings that I have heard, when transferred from the thin cd layer to a redbook cd-r.
 I am only interested in stereo, through my Yamaha RX-V1700, used as a pre-amp the 2 channel stereo is DSP into 7 channel stereo with the center and rear channel matrix ed into a kind of mono mix.

The timbre or tonal characteristics and harmonics on the few hybrid cd layers that I've compared to sacd. Significantly exceed the sacd layer when played in the BCD-1 as opposed to sacd in multi-channel on my Sony NS9100ES.
You may not call cd hi-rez, but the fact is cd hybrid layer played on BCD-1 is higher resolution than sacd. I'll stand by that statement.

?  You might like the sound better, but it is an empirical fact that the redbook layer does NOT have more resolution than the SACD DSD layer. 

Well, being that I kinda hijacked this thread, and being that it is a Bryston forum, I will simply say that I'm sure the 16/44 redbook layer, played on the BCD-1, sounds great.  :D

OK, back on topic.  Give Melos, an ECM recording of Cello and piano, a listen.  A bit avant garde, but breathtaking recording, and very very nice music.

brucek

« Reply #121 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:04 pm »
Artist: Antony and the Johnsons

CD: The Crying Light

This is his latest album that I just picked up. I also really liked the previous one called 'I am A Bird Now'.

The album uses quite a bit of orchestra, and was arranged by avant-classical composer Nico Muhly.. It's definitely Antonys best yet. You can never mistake this guys vibrato voice...

He's been associated with Lou Reed in the past, and when I saw him recently singing with Reed in the "Lou Reed in Berlin" film, it provoked me to go and get Antonys new record.

Below is a YouTube video of Antony with Lou Reed from Berlin. A couple of interesting characters. Great stuff.

Play > YouTube 'Candy Says'

brucek

listening on: Arcam Alpha 9 > Bryston SP2 > Bryston 4BST > ProAc 3.8

werd

« Reply #122 on: 13 Apr 2009, 08:03 pm »
Just picked up:

1. Dan Hicks - Beating the Heat
2. Buena Vista Social Club - World Circuit.

Thanks for the recommendations.

james

Hope you enjoy  Dan Hicks  :)

Moon Doggy

« Reply #123 on: 14 Apr 2009, 11:08 am »
Helen Watson "Blue Slipper" (2006) Remaster

Originally recorded in 1987 available from Amazon UK.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #124 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:40 pm »
Hot Club of San Francisco "Yerba Buena Bounce" (2007)

This Reference Recordings CD is the best SQ I have heard. Like you are there. Thanks to panelman and others for the recommendation as to the quality of RR CDs. Also picked up Shakespeare's Tempest by Kansas City Symphony as well as Ravel's Bolero by the Minnesota Orchestra. Same story as far as sound quality. Had to take a break because it was too good! :)

Cheers, James

audiophilist

« Reply #125 on: 17 Apr 2009, 12:41 am »
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This is one of my go to SACD's when I want to unwind-I usually fall asleep when giving this a listen to. 2 channel of this SACD blows me away. Great accapella, did I spell that correctly??

ERICH KUNZEL
Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Perform Music of The BEATLES
Featuring--KING'SINGERS

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #126 on: 22 Apr 2009, 11:50 pm »
Does anyone recommend any vinyl?

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #127 on: 23 Apr 2009, 03:01 am »
Bryston does not make turntables.  :dunno:

95Dyna

« Reply #128 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:12 pm »
There's nothing more useless than a turntable without preamps and amps.  I heard a rumor Bryston does make those.  :roll:

Moon Doggy

« Reply #129 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:37 pm »
Does anyone recommend any vinyl?

Sure... I picked up remastered copies of Depeche Mode's "Violator" and "Music For The Masses" recently on vinyl. Very good sound compared to the usual vinyl that is put out these days. Remastered by Simon Heyworth.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #130 on: 9 May 2009, 03:31 pm »
My recommendations would be Enigma "MCMXC aD" and any CD by Persphone or The Last Dance (Gothic genre) 

Moon Doggy

« Reply #131 on: 11 Jun 2009, 02:46 am »
SERENA RYDER "IS IT OK" (2009)

I've mentioned Serena before but as an after word to her previous album "If Memory Serves".

Today we have every 3rd person coming out with a CD. Its so easy to lose the true talents in the maze of artists. Songwriting, musicianship, performance, personality and charm. And I'm know the list doesn't end there. Had to mention it because U.S. residents can get her album for only $5 at a special pre-release price at the Atlantic Records store. Its already been released here in Canada.

Here is a sample of one of my all time favourite artists:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hUENQs7y3c

Enjoy! :)
James

Moon Doggy

« Reply #132 on: 12 Jun 2009, 03:27 pm »

Whoaaaa Baby! :o :icon_surprised:

werd

« Reply #133 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:16 pm »

Whoaaa!!! is right. I am sure if my 4B was a female she would look like that.... hehe

gtaphile

« Reply #134 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:43 pm »

James

You may enjoy the acoustic version of Serena Ryder's Weak in the Knees

It is one of my current favourites.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #135 on: 12 Jun 2009, 04:59 pm »
Thanks All,

I will be software hunting this weekend for sure.

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #136 on: 12 Jun 2009, 05:32 pm »

Whoaaa!!! is right. I am sure if my 4B was a female she would look like that.... hehe

Actually I was referring to the music :) But now that you mention it... :thumb:

danman

« Reply #137 on: 14 Jun 2009, 01:13 am »
I am listening to the new Chickenfoot album featuring Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony (formely VanHalen and Chad Smith.

I am plesently surprised! Great guitars from Joe and Sammy still can sing.

This is a rock album that sounds like a mix of old with the new and I believe will be a hit.

1oldguy

« Reply #138 on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:16 am »
Hi James/All ....Been a little while since i've had time to post,life has been a little too wild as of late.

Has anyone here heard the Artist,Walter Rossi?Any thought's?
 I would start of with the album/CD Walter Rossi Picks.I first heard his music about 20 years ago and was truly blown away?
I would best describe his music as Very Powerful and Soft at the same time.Not your average music I can assure you of that.

http://www.walterrossi.net/images/pg93.jpg
http://www.walterrossi.net/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #139 on: 14 Jun 2009, 11:36 am »
Hi James/All ....Been a little while since i've had time to post,life has been a little too wild as of late.

Has anyone here heard the Artist,Walter Rossi?Any thought's?
 I would start of with the album/CD Walter Rossi Picks.I first heard his music about 20 years ago and was truly blown away?
I would best describe his music as Very Powerful and Soft at the same time.Not your average music I can assure you of that.

http://www.walterrossi.net/images/pg93.jpg
http://www.walterrossi.net/

Thanks oldguy -I will check it out.

james