Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Recommended Audio/Video that MUST be Heard
« Reply #100 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:44 am »

Yes thats Madonna, this recording can be taken seriousily. Its a great example of stellar SQ. What it delivers is Madonna's ability to produce material outside of mainstream hiphop but yet keep the dance beat moving. Its  very folk sounding material encased around electronic based beats,  it also has the 007 theme on it....  8). The cd is nearly always under 10 bucks everywhere i see it and is worth picking up.

yes, that's a good one! i like it a lot :thumb:.

al

95Dyna

« Reply #101 on: 6 Apr 2009, 03:03 pm »
We Brystoneers are proud of bass performance of our rigs, right?
Here is one of my favourite recordings with three bass players:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2756/superbass2.jpg[/img]][/url]
Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride: SuperBass 2 (TELARC Jazz)
It is live performance with all the attributes of a materpiece musically and technically.
This drives bass drivers wild!  :bomb:
My recommandation!

Hi Pedrag,

I'll have to get that one.  I love Ray Brown and Diana Krall's stuff featuring John Clayton on Bass.  This sounds like a can't miss.

Bill

werd

« Reply #102 on: 6 Apr 2009, 05:04 pm »
delete
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 08:01 pm by werd »

werd

« Reply #103 on: 6 Apr 2009, 05:05 pm »
It is live performance with all the attributes of a materpiece musically and technically.
My recommandation!

Into bass bigtime, even own a Rick 4001, just ordered this from amazon.
Check out the cd release date on this one.

predrag

« Reply #104 on: 6 Apr 2009, 07:02 pm »
Hi Werd,

After you listen to it please let us know your impressions!

Cheers!

Predrag

Moon Doggy

« Reply #105 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:33 pm »
Jeff Beck  "Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scotts" (2008)

His band is superb and great guest artists but only on the DVD version unfortunately.

Oh, BTW... his best recording IMO. Beck needs an audience to be at his best.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #106 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:48 pm »
Dallas Wind Symphony "Crown Imperial" (2007)

Does anyone have experience with the Reference Recordings label? Are they as great as all the reviews make them out to be?
Heres an example of the review of the pictured CD:
"This may be the most mercilessly demanding recording of large instrumental forces that I know, with bass transients and dynamics so far beyond the current state-of-the-art in speakers and electronics that I suspect designers will still be catching up to it twenty years from now." - The Absolute Sound

That review sounds too good to be true. Its not glowing... its white hot! :o

James

Panelman

« Reply #107 on: 6 Apr 2009, 09:22 pm »

James,

I have this cd and other Reference Recording cds and I think Reference Recording's orchestral works are the best I've heard. I attend the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and of the recordings I have the RR recordings come the closest to recreating the sound of an orchestra in a concert hall. I have the recent BIS Beethoven recordings by the Minnesota Orchestra and while the music is very good the recordings don't have the realism that the RR recordings of the MN Orchestra do.  Not sure if the recordings live up to the Absolute Sound review but you won't be disappointed. There is one part in the Crown Imperial recording where the bass note crushes my chest when played at high levels.

werd

« Reply #108 on: 6 Apr 2009, 09:35 pm »

Does anyone have experience with the Reference Recordings label? Are they as great as all the reviews make them out to be?
Heres an example of the review of the pictured CD:
"This may be the most mercilessly demanding recording of large instrumental forces that I know, with bass transients and dynamics so far beyond the current state-of-the-art in speakers and electronics that I suspect designers will still be catching up to it twenty years from now." - The Absolute Sound

That review sounds too good to be true. Its not glowing... its white hot! :o

James

Obviousily i need to get this.....

Moon Doggy

« Reply #109 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:27 pm »

James,

I have this cd and other Reference Recording cds and I think Reference Recording's orchestral works are the best I've heard. I attend the Minnesota Orchestra and the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and of the recordings I have the RR recordings come the closest to recreating the sound of an orchestra in a concert hall. I have the recent BIS Beethoven recordings by the Minnesota Orchestra and while the music is very good the recordings don't have the realism that the RR recordings of the MN Orchestra do.  Not sure if the recordings live up to the Absolute Sound review but you won't be disappointed. There is one part in the Crown Imperial recording where the bass note crushes my chest when played at high levels.

Thanks for the feedback Panelman. I'm going to order a couple of their CDs from their site right away when I decide from amongst the offerings. The organ in the Crown Imperial Cd apparently costs 1.36 million dollar and is a 4535 pipe C.B. Fisk Opus 100 organ. :D

Regards, James

95Dyna

« Reply #110 on: 8 Apr 2009, 12:49 pm »
My recommandation!

Hi Pedrag,

I'll have to get that one.  I love Ray Brown and Diana Krall's stuff featuring John Clayton on Bass.  This sounds like a can't miss.

Bill

On a post earlier in this thread (3/27) I recommended Diana Krall's "The Girl In The Next Room".  As it turns out the bassist on the Tom Waits song "Temptation" is in fact Christian McBride.  He plays on all but three of the tracks and the other three feature John Clayton.  Another reason to check this one out.  Clayton is her regular bassist.  You can check out some of his other work with her on "Steppin' Out" and "Live in Paris".

Bill

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #111 on: 8 Apr 2009, 10:27 pm »
Jeff Beck  "Performing This Week... Live at Ronnie Scotts" (2008)

His band is superb and great guest artists but only on the DVD version unfortunately.

Oh, BTW... his best recording IMO. Beck needs an audience to be at his best.

:guitar:

Moon Doggy

« Reply #112 on: 9 Apr 2009, 11:56 am »
John Fogerty "Revival" (2007)

Back to his roots in Swamp Rock. Similar in style to the first 2 Creedence LPs. Great SQ and the writing has never been better.

Serena Ryder "If Your Memory Serves You Well" (2006)

Serena does the classic Canadian songbook (albeit a quirky but entertaining group of song selections) with her smoky 3 octave singing voice. She sounds like a late 60's pop star at times and thats a good thing in this case. Once again great SQ. Her next album "Is It OK" (2008) is brilliant as well and all original material but the SQ is down a notch or two but still very listenable.

werd

« Reply #113 on: 9 Apr 2009, 08:38 pm »
My recommandation!

Hello everyone

Predrag this recording is stellar. The point made about Brystoneers enjoying their bass is going to know what your are talking about  if they hear this. If anyone wants to know how good bryston is at resolving low and i mean acoustic bass low, they should listen to this. Taught me alot about my speaks and amp.

The recording includes  3 bass players and occasional percussion, with a bit of vocal humour by the musicians. Christian Mcbride is mono right, John Clayton mono left and Ray Brown stereo centre. Masterfully engineered to have 3 bass players keeping beat with each and not walk over each others basslines. The recording keeps bass notes off the floor and there is no low-bass note energy floating around.  I will say that sitting off axis can clutter the sound a tad so finding the sweet spot is significant. Dead centre to get Ray Browns beats enforces his masterful arrangement. you'd never expect to hear the air around the basslines with 3 bass players but its all there.  This can be played in mono to help declutter the soundstage if need so. Actually mono sounds really hot here too.

Excellent live recording with an active audience, according to the cd sleeve its filled with alot big jazz names including Diana Krall.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #115 on: 9 Apr 2009, 09:28 pm »

I have some of their stuff.  Church Windows (Resphigi?) is amazing.

Moon Doggy

« Reply #116 on: 12 Apr 2009, 10:19 am »
Favourite Ambient

Jon Hopkins "Opalescent" (2005)

Try Amazon UK for copy.

Brian Eno "Another Day On Earth" (2005)

Both albums mastered by Simon Heyworth at Super Audio Mastering.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #117 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:20 pm »
Just picked up:

1. Dan Hicks - Beating the Heat
2. Buena Vista Social Club - World Circuit.

Thanks for the recommendations.

james

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #118 on: 13 Apr 2009, 02:46 pm »
There here!!

My sacd version of Fillmore East, Allman Brothers & Zombies greatest hits.
I will be transferring them to cd-r and playing them in my BCD-1 for the ultimate in high resolution multi-channel stereo sound source.

Mag,
First off, the Zombies is not a multichannel release, just stereo.  Moreover, if you are indeed transferring these SACDs to cd-r then how do you expect to preserve the "ultimate in high resolution" let alone the multichannel tracks (and what does multichannel stereo sound source mean?)?  SACD's cannot be ripped, only their redbook layer (assuming it's a hybird; and then that redbook layer is, of course, neither hirez nor multichannel)?

Mag

« Reply #119 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:26 pm »
Mag,
First off, the Zombies is not a multichannel release, just stereo.  Moreover, if you are indeed transferring these SACDs to cd-r then how do you expect to preserve the "ultimate in high resolution" let alone the multichannel tracks (and what does multichannel stereo sound source mean?)?  SACD's cannot be ripped, only their redbook layer (assuming it's a hybrid; and then that redbook layer is, of course, neither hirez nor multichannel)?

>>I find that the cd layer from hybrid sacd to be the best recordings that I have heard, when transferred from the thin cd layer to a redbook cd-r.
 I am only interested in stereo, through my Yamaha RX-V1700, used as a pre-amp the 2 channel stereo is DSP into 7 channel stereo with the center and rear channel matrix ed into a kind of mono mix.

The timbre or tonal characteristics and harmonics on the few hybrid cd layers that I've compared to sacd. Significantly exceed the sacd layer when played in the BCD-1 as opposed to sacd in multi-channel on my Sony NS9100ES.
You may not call cd hi-rez, but the fact is cd hybrid layer played on BCD-1 is higher resolution than sacd. I'll stand by that statement.<<