High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker...

kyrill

hi Rob

The amp of the servo woofer(s) has a lot of different ways to tailor the bass output via loudness and freqs
The lower the bass the easier to reach yr neighbours with it . SO cut it off at an appropriate level
Even better is to explain this to the neighbour(s) so you can listen from their living room to
the effect of yr.diverse settings

Danny Richie

One cool thing is even though the bass reaches pretty low, it doesn't pressurize and load the room up so it is not near as bad as boxed sub.

Also, you have control of the volume, so you can decide how loud they really play.

Rapt

wow! look at the views on this topic..epic.. bring it on Danny  :thumb:

PDR

• May the best man win
So.....Anybody else up in Canada, besides me, purchase one of these yet?....or am I the first importer?   aa 8) 8)

Perry

kyrill

hi Perry

you have one pair?

Can you share yr experiences with us?

gprro

3 woofers a side :)

That would be a monster..for very  big rooms

If I did these I would would use four woofs per side, two on top and two on the bottom, each pair with their own amp.  :drool: I've been following these for a while. They look really interesting.

kyrill

the plate amp as i understand can only drive 3 woofers in parallel
but why four? visual aspect?

PDR

• May the best man win
Not here yet.......within 2 wks I would guess.....in kit form....but it wont take me long to build the boxes.
My guess would be less than 3 wks until...."ON"

Perry

Neil66

Hi Folks,

Newbie here & first post - been following this thread with interest for a while now waiting on development - I like the reviews Danny receives and am very keen on trying a) OB & b) a set of these, when ready  :drool: !!

First, I need to ask a ('dumb') question - I have an MF kW500 amp, so plenty of power - would I still need the bass servos?? Or with this much power on tap, can the speaker be tuned to suit instead?

Any pointers very appreciated  :thumb:

Cheers,
Neil.

kyrill

Hi Neil
1) the servo amps cannot be replaced by non servo ( "normal") amps. the servo woofers have 4 connectors. 2 for the signal input of the amp, the other 2 connectors go to the servo  ( FB steering)  connectors of the amp. You can replace the servo woofers with the same non servo variant . These can be steered by your  500 w monster. However these non servo woofers will sound different, probably less controlled
2) the very sensitive p audio driver and tweeter will ask from yr amp between 0.1 and 1 watt average listening levels upt to 97 db
97 db is very loud. yr heavy amp is probably an SS amp and distortion figures ( generally) at those low watts are ( much ) higher than at 100 or 150 watts for yr amps. So yr amp maybe not so ideal for the Paudio
« Last Edit: 2 Feb 2009, 07:51 pm by kyrill »

dgshtav

The side panels look a bit tricky to do on this one. Even though these might be offerred as a flat pack, I was wondering if actual size paper stencils could be provided for the front baffle and the side pieces. The stencil can just be the outline minus any driver holes, etc. This might be helpful for people who want to go 100% DIY (I know it will be for me, if I decide to build this one)

EARGASM

• No thanks.
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 04:10 pm by EARGASM »

kyrill

nice Eric
another reason to live in the States ;)

but living in Europe shipping (heavy) panels will not be so cost effective..

Neil66

Hi Neil
1) the servo amps cannot be replaced by non servo ( "normal") amps. the servo woofers have 4 connectors. 2 for the signal input of the amp, the other 2 connectors go to the servo  ( FB steering)  connectors of the amp. You can replace the servo woofers with the same non servo variant . These can be steered by your  500 w monster. However these non servo woofers will sound different, probably less controlled
2) the very sensitive p audio driver and tweeter will ask from yr amp between 0.1 and 1 watt average listening levels upt to 97 db
97 db is very loud. yr heavy amp is probably an SS amp and distortion figures ( generally) at those low watts are ( much higher) than at 100 or 150 watts for yr amps. So yr amp maybe not so ideal for the Paudio

Hey kyrill, thanks for the heads up :wink: - obviously I have some more research to do, basic info like this I need to understand!!  :thumb:
I guess then the next question is what type of OB design would suit my beast of an amp? Any takers?
I'm really keen on experiencing the airy atmosphere so renowned of this design!!

Danny Richie

Side Panel Pricing:
Pricing from Eargasm:

Composite seconds/early design prototypes.
May have defects, but serviceable. $105 for all (5).

All MDF are raw and un-sanded.

1" MDF $188/set
1.25" MDF $232 set.

1.2" COMPOSITE BEAM $340 set. [Add $45 for moderate filling of surface and
machine face sanding to 100 grit (4 pcs.) Advise sanding if they do not have
a wide belt/drum sander. It's really a PITA to do it by hand.]

Complete flat pack kits

3/4" MDF w/ 1" MDF side panels: $295 (raw)
Add for 1.25" MDF sides: + $44

Veneered side panels + $200 most veneers

Bowties Raw (2) $35

Tweeter pods, raw assembled w/ pocket holes pre-drilled (2) $45

Grille frames raw (4) $100

Fully assembled, veneered and finished, including plate amp enclosures:
$1,750/pr (common veneers)

Ready to assemble veneered and finished, "as flat as practical": $900
(common veneer) Requires clamps, glue and a clue.

Shipping and packing per quote.

grubyhalo

Hey Danny,
How much do you reckon it would cost to ship a flat-pack set to India?  :scratch: Also, how much does the rest of the components cost?

Thanks!

Danny Richie

You'll have to get with Eargasm on the shipping cost of the flat pack.

The cost of the complete speaker kit is $1,995.

grubyhalo

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry if I got this wrong, does this mean that the entire speaker kit consisting of the drivers, x-over and the panels cost $1995?  :?

Danny Richie

The kit includes The P-Audio drivers, 4 SW-12-16FR servo controlled subs, 2 direct servo amps, a pair or rear firing tweeters, SpeakOn connectors for the amps, Vampire binding posts, OFC wire, solder, heat shrink, screws, crossover parts (including Sonicaps) plans, etc. You get everything but the lumber (wood).

grubyhalo

Wow! cool, thanks! I'll probably email you with more questions I have...

Cheers!