High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker...

arthurs

Give me a shout on cell tomorrow.  I'll be out running around in the afternoon with the boys but will find time to catch up.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
If it's easier and you don't mind typing a little I've got my list of questions put together.  It may actually benefit others more to hold this discussion publicly. 

Either way I'll go ahead and post them in case me or you get's tied up tomorrow.  Or if nothing else give you a chance to think them over before we talk on the phone.

How did soundstage and imaging compare to your LS9?

When you said open sounding like a planar do you mean that speaker localization is minimized?

Were the servo subs in Danny's test mules in the w-frame config or h-frame config?

Did you get a chance to check out Danny's sealed servo sub as a standalone or integrated with the open baffles?

Did you get a chance to examine off-axis reponse?

What effect did the ambient rear tweeter have on soundstage width/depth?

How would you compare the sound to more traditional open baffles that you have heard (Danny's OB's or AV123 x-statik)?

As always Art, your thoughts are sincerely appreciated.   :D

Of course Danny, feel free to comment here too.

Danny Richie

How tall is the speaker?

See plans: http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/paudiobox.pdf

Danny,
Do you plan to offer these as a finished product?

Short answer is yes, but there will be a little bit of a announcement to follow shortly that will outline a really great offering that will be taking place.

Fatcat

• Art Slob.
Danny.
I just happened across the finished rendering of these speakers in another forum and I just wanted to say that they look gorgeous!
Bravo! :thumb:

Best......Carlo.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 04:23 pm by EARGASM »

kyrill

I read elsewhere on AC one remark, that high sensitivity speakers actually ask for flea power
sets when regarding tube amps.
I just have   (expensive) mods done to my 20-24 watt tube amps.

the reasoning behind the flea power was that tube amps have their high(est) distortion
when playing at their maximum but also their minimum levels

with a sensitivity of 96-99dB i will play at an average level of 0,1 watt or less..
If the reasoning is valid, I know we do not hear HD of 3-5 % in music, but still?

Correction
i read tranny amps, i assumed that meant transformer output amps, so tubes
Maybe that is not the case..
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2009, 04:44 pm by kyrill »

Danny Richie

Not all tube amps are the same. While some do have distortion levels that are quite high. Some are also dead quiet and have distortion levels that rival many solid state amps.

While these did well with some 9 watt single ended prototype amps from Dodd Audio a few weeks back, they also ate up plenty of power from my big amps with no complaints.

Danny Richie

Several pages back some of you guys wanted to see the response posted on a more typical 10db scale. Here you go:

intermission

So what's cooking?
It's all gone quiet!

grubyhalo

Was wondering the same thing... :D

Danny Richie

There is a lot regarding this speaker in the works. I'll announce a bunch of stuff shortly.

ttan98

Just curious looking at the FR curve, a 3dB rise from 10-20K, will it cause a high frequency "zing" (brightness at the top end)? I think the titanium diaghram does not help matters.

kyrill

Titanium diaphragm is theoretically a risk for high end sound. But Danny's enthusiasm is NOT theoretical. Trust his enthusiasm , he builds speakers for years, knows how to design, measure and mostly how to listen to them.

richidoo

There is a lot regarding this speaker in the works. I'll announce a bunch of stuff shortly.

:hyper:

cujobob

Seems like the upward response is from 15k+ which shouldn't be an issue I'd imagine.

Danny Richie

That slight peak is above 15kHz and rolls off if you move off axis. I am pretty sensitive tp top end brightness and I hear no issues with this driver.

Milehighguy

One remark, and one question.

I would name this the "bullseye". The large speaker looks like a target, with the tweeter being the bullseye, and you'e saying it hits the bulllseye in terms of performance as well.

Here's the question:

Have you thought of making a speaker like this, except with 3 woofers instead of 2 ?

kyrill

3 woofers a side :)

That would be a monster..for very  big rooms

arthurs

That slight peak is above 15kHz and rolls off if you move off axis. I am pretty sensitive tp top end brightness and I hear no issues with this driver.

I didn't hear "brightness" the afternoon I spent listening to the prototypes...good detail and air without being etched or edgy...used my own demo disc which has a couple of tunes on it specifically to hear that if it's there, it wasn't....

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
How apartment-friendly would you say these are?  I know the bass would be adjustable but I'm wondering if these might be too much for my apartment.  Or more specifically, too much for my neighbors.  I really want a set of these, but I also have to be realistic.  I don't usually listen at very loud levels but I'm just wondering if the low extension of the bass would be too much even at moderate volumes.