High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker...

nrenter

Any update to this thread? There was a lot of excitement 3 or 4 months ago over naming this speaker - has there been any final decisions? How about pictures of the final product? Has anyone completed a version of this speaker? If so, what are your thoughts? Strengths? Weaknesses? Has there been any design changes since this speaker was first introduced?

Just checking in...

Rapt

Any update to this thread? There was a lot of excitement 3 or 4 months ago over naming this speaker - has there been any final decisions? How about pictures of the final product? Has anyone completed a version of this speaker? If so, what are your thoughts? Strengths? Weaknesses? Has there been any design changes since this speaker was first introduced?

Just checking in...

hey nrenter..

This thread is also interesting on the OB's a guy is building.. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65750.0

Danny Richie

Kits are available at $1,995 and have been shipping.

There has been a trademark filed on the Venue name and I will know something on it shortly. If good then I will announce the confirmation on the name. Right now I am still waiting...

I am also still waiting for cabinets from Eargasm (nice ones) so I can have good looking pics (not of MDF test boxes) for the web site. I will then get it all up and posted.

PDR

• May the best man win
I will have pics posted by Sunday of finished cabinets with drivers installed.....except the
rear tweeter. Will have finished the boxes for the servo amps as well.....wiring will be completed
during next week....should be up and running a week from tomorrow.

These are looking REALLY NICE!!     aa

yoder

Sorry if this is answered or implied, but the only input on these are speaker level inputs and the connection to the servo amp is handled by the crossover, correct? 

Danny Richie

The speaker has standard binding post for connecting it just like any other speaker.

You can then run a jumper to the plate amp from the binding posts to the high level input. Or you can run an RCA from your pre-amp or Y off the the RCA input to your amp and into the low level inputs on the plate amp.

lord dubious

Would there be MUCH issue if these speakers could not be more then 24" off the back wall?

The closer it gets to the rear wall the shorter the reflection window (timed delay) and the more it will sound less like a reflection and more like part of the original signal just smeared a little. There is no real make or break point but the recommended distance is 3 feet. That doesn't mean it will sound bad at 2 feet just that you are going to be living with a slight compromise. For that matter even 3 feet can be a little bit of a compromise if you compare the sound to having the speakers 5 to 6 feet out into the room. Much of that really depends on the room size.

Hi Danny
If the speakers are 3 feet from the back wall, would it help to put an acoustic panel behind the speaker to reduce smearing, or are the reflections integral to the OB experience?
When you say 3 feet, do you mean 3 feet to the front of the speaker or 3 feet clear space behind the speaker?
Generally speaking what is more important; getting the P-Audio driver away from the back wall or the subwoofer drivers?
Cheers

Danny Richie

If the speakers are 3 feet from the back wall, would it help to put an acoustic panel behind the speaker to reduce smearing, or are the reflections integral to the OB experience?

It wouldn't hurt to experiment with something to break up the back way (like a diffuser) and some acoustic panels as well.

My room has heavy treatment on the rear wall (behind the speakers) because of the many other speakers that I use in that room and it doesn't seem to hurt these any.

It may be more ideal to trap the corners of the room only and use a diffuser type material between the speakers.

When you say 3 feet, do you mean 3 feet to the front of the speaker or 3 feet clear space behind the speaker?

The P-Audio driver is the concern. The low frequency wavelengths from the subs are quite long and less of an issue from a reflections standpoint. Keep in mind though that you are pushing air from one side of the room to the other side of the room. That doesn't work as effectively if the speakers are near the rear wall.

Atexanathome

It wouldn't hurt to experiment with something to break up the back way (like a diffuser) and some acoustic panels as well.

My room has heavy treatment on the rear wall (behind the speakers) because of the many other speakers that I use in that room and it doesn't seem to hurt these any.

It may be more ideal to trap the corners of the room only and use a diffuser type material between the speakers.

The P-Audio driver is the concern. The low frequency wavelengths from the subs are quite long and less of an issue from a reflections standpoint. Keep in mind though that you are pushing air from one side of the room to the other side of the room. That doesn't work as effectively if the speakers are near the rear wall.

These look interesting for my new, very small, listening room. I put a couple of 1.5X3 ft Echo Busters behind the speakers, but the room is 10.5X11' and will need some extreme room treatment if I keep my Joseph RM33Si speakers. I have a bass peak of +10dB at 50Hz and there are strange peaks and suckouts in the treble and midrange I didn't see in my old room. I was trying to simplify the system so I don't want to add a crossover and equalizer if I can avoid it.

I'm assuming the OB woofer design will kill some of these problems. I'm hoping to avoid expensive tube traps. I'm guessing the listening distance will be less than 6' with the speakers 3' from the wall.

The frequency response plot looks good. Have you done a CSD waterfall plot on the OB speaker yet? One of the nice things about the Joseph is the quiet cabinet and clean waterfall plot.

Danny Richie

I'm assuming the OB woofer design will kill some of these problems.

Yep, and be being able to vary anything you want from 200Hz and down makes it real easy to get a smooth response.

Have you done a CSD waterfall plot on the OB speaker yet?

Sure. Considering the size of the driver it is really not bad at all. It really helps too that the woofer isn't having to play too high.

richidoo

Danny, in the first post you mentioned the overall efficiency is 97dB. The efficiency of the PAudio drivers is 100dB mid and 106dB tweet. Just curious why the overall sensitivity is lower than the drivers while using 1st order cross, or maybe the mfg specs are too optimistic?
Thanks,
Rich

Danny Richie

You still have to compensate for some baffle step loss.

ebag4

Hi Danny did you say you were redesigning the sub baffles?

I drew up the plans for an H frame. This puts a sub structure behind each woofer and allows for the baffle width to be less than the W frame design. I figured this thing was wide enough as it is and there was no sense in making it even wider.

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/p%20audio%202.pdf
http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/p%20audio%201.pdf

Hi Danny,
Looking at the OB sub drawing on your site the W frame appears to be the same width as the H frame for the Venue.  Are you saying that to get the bass to match the P-Audio driver the W frame setup would need to be wider than what is shown for the OB sub plan?  If not, is there any advantage to using the W frame to the H frame?  It appears that the W frame would mitigate mechanical vibration better than the H frame.

Second question, do you believe one driver per channel could give appropriate output to match the MTM section of the OB5?  Could the same amp and driver used for the Venue bass be used or would that have to change since only one driver per amp would be used?

Thanks,
Ed

Danny Richie

Looking at the OB sub drawing on your site the W frame appears to be the same width as the H frame for the Venue.

Actually the W frame is wider if used in the application of the Venue model. In the H frame the side panels create the front and back sections of the box and if a W frame were used the side panels would add extra width as the internal supports of the W frame are wider.

Are you saying that to get the bass to match the P-Audio driver the W frame setup would need to be wider than what is shown for the OB sub plan?

Yes. The addition of the side panels would make it wider.

It appears that the W frame would mitigate mechanical vibration better than the H frame.

I have not noticed any mechanical vibration on either of them.

Second question, do you believe one driver per channel could give appropriate output to match the MTM section of the OB5?

Yes, just barely.

Could the same amp and driver used for the Venue bass be used or would that have to change since only one driver per amp would be used?

The same amp can be used. It just won't output as much power because of the higher impedance.

longdrive55

First time poster here.

I spoke to Danny about these kits the other day. He mentioned 8 or 9 of the kits had been sold. Anyone else build these yet? Any listening impressions? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and looking for some more opinions. These look like they could be "The Answer". Let me know your thoughts if you've had a listen.

Thanks

Danny Richie

There are only a couple of guys with them up and playing right now.

Here is one of them: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=67077.0

PDR

• May the best man win
They really are that good..... :o

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
I would say the drawing looks way to much like the Orions but I guess it is pretty much a passive Orion with different drivers.
Why do you think that every open baffle design is a take off on an Orion?  I just don' t get it.

Here is an open baffle design with a coax driver that is a loooooooong way from an Orion with an MTM array.  The W- baffle with servo controlled long excursion custom designed drivers is a looooooong way from the straight dipole of an Orion.

What gives?

Dave

NeilT

What are we missing Dave?
This is a quote from 4 years ago, am I tripping or are you?  :D

Neil

SoCalWJS

Never saw this thread before..... Didn't read the whole thing. I take it this was the beginning of the Super V's?

You were talking about the Super 7's that long ago? WOW! Did they stay pretty much as you envisioned? Did you have to wait for the Neo 10's before you got the final concept?