High sensitivity, open baffle, single ended lovers dream speaker...

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Also, Danny, do you have rough measurements for height and width of the finished product?

Thanks,

Steve

Danny Richie

Thanks Danny, One sheet is pretty cheap. How thick? 1"?

Just 3/4", but you could make a couple panels a little thicker if you wanted, maybe the one that the lower woofers mount to.

You won't be at CES by any chance?

I won't go unless I have to and it doesn't look like I am going to have to.

Try felt, available in lots of colors, and improves sound. I have no idea why no one is curious.

This can be very effective on a lot of different speakers especially right around the tweeter. It will be least effective with speakers using a wave guide on the tweeter (almost no effect) and it will be even less effective on a speaker with a small front baffle area. So of all the speaker out there, felt will have less effect on this type of speaker than just about any other.

Also, Danny, do you have rough measurements for height and width of the finished product?

How about complete measurements?  :thumb:

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/paudiobox.pdf

kyrill

3 degree angle cut ??

ehhh i am too primitive carpenter for that  :oops:

thx again for sharing Danny

stevenkelby

That's bang on 4' with spikes then, same height and width as my current Omega Superhemps on Deep hemps, perfect! I was thinking they would be much bigger but this will be a far better fit in my current room, maybe I can sneak them in before new rom is built :)

Those side panels look tricky too, maybe a flat pack will be the way to go, I'll contact you when I get back.

Thanks again,

Steve

Danny Richie

I may have Eric (eargasm) offer a flat pack, finished pairs, and pre-cut side panels. Since he has a CNC machine he can knock the side panels out pretty easily and have them all match.

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot

Awesome Danny!   :thumb:

I may have Eric (eargasm) offer a flat pack, finished pairs, and pre-cut side panels. Since he has a CNC machine he can knock the side panels out pretty easily and have them all match.

This would be an attractive option for me.  The radii of the sides looks a little daunting for traditional woodworking tools.  Of course the shipping costs for 4 pieces of 3/4"MDF would probably eat me alive.

stevenkelby

Whack it on a boat, I'm patient :)

lord dubious

Hi Danny
Intriguing design.  Well done.
Where will the crossover and plate amp be?  Where would you put No Rez on this speaker?
Cheers
P.S. About how far should the listener sit from the speakers?  How far should the speakers be from each other and adjacent walls?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2008, 04:58 am by lord dubious »

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com

Danny:

Does one have to have the woofs in the middle of the bass cabinet, or can one have both woofs on a front baffle like the P Audio driver? I would think it should not matter as long as you havw the depth of the bass cab. the same, or have wings on hinges that depth, that could swing out.

Also, why did you not have this design when the Canadian dollar was on par with the U.S. Now we are back to a 27% difference.  :roll:

Rocket_Ronny

Danny Richie

Where will the crossover and plate amp be?

The crossover easily fits in the area right behind the rear firing tweeter.

The plate amp will fit in its own little box right behind the speaker.

Where would you put No Rez on this speaker?

I don't think it will need any.

P.S. About how far should the listener sit from the speakers?

Because of the design of it you can sit really close. You can be not much more than a meter or really far away in a big room and it will work well either way.

How far should the speakers be from each other and adjacent walls?

It can be really close to the side walls since it cancels output at 90 degrees off axis. It just needs to be out from its rear wall.

Does one have to have the woofs in the middle of the bass cabinet, or can one have both woofs on a front baffle like the P Audio driver?

They could all be on the same plane but it wouldn't be real stable, and you loose the loading that the H frame provides.

Wings will negatively effect the imaging. I have worked it through all the possibilties. As drawn will work the best.

Wind Chaser

Wings will negatively effect the imaging. I have worked it through all the possibilties. As drawn will work the best.

Wings are for birds and airplanes.  When will people learn... :roll:

jn316

P.S. About how far should the listener sit from the speakers?

Because of the design of it you can sit really close. You can be not much more than a meter or really far away in a big room and it will work well either way.

Good to hear, as my HT is depth challenged.
 :D

arthurs

I got a chance to spend a few hours with the test boxes of these today and was mighty impressed.  This is a very versatile speaker that does many things very well, should be a real winner.  Gotta say the Servo subs are the bomb!

grubyhalo

Hi All,
I am very interested in these babies and am wondering if it would work in smaller rooms, say a 16X20 approx.? Any idea what's the cost we're looking at? Also, I see it has servo subs. Does this mean that the sub-section is powered and that an amp is needed only for the high and mid section?

Danny,
I  am wondering how easy the build would be if I buy just the plans and the drivers instead of the panels from you. I intend to have a carpenter help me build these. I'm hoping this way I could save a ton of money when shipped to India. Also, do you have any restrictions as to shipping your products out of the US?

Thanks for your time
Cheers!

arthurs

I'm not positive on the size of Danny's room, but I bet that's close....they sounded pretty damn good in there!

Correct on the servo powered section, amp for mid/tweets only...

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
Art,
How tall is the speaker?

Danny,
Do you plan to offer these as a finished product?

Thanks guys,

Hugh

arthurs

By my eye they looked about 4' tall... Danny can answer the rest...

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
You must be in your listening room Art. :green:

Left you a voicemail.  :D

arthurs

Nope, just being lazy watching the Bears cling to their slim playoff hopes...didn't hear the phone, sorry dude.  Want me to call you tonight or can I catch you tomorrow?

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
Tomorrow's fine.

I'll give you a buzz in the afternoon if you have a free moment.   :thumb: