The Annual GAS Blowout ***NOW WITH PICS***

Scott F.

The Annual GAS Blowout ***NOW WITH PICS***
« on: 3 Aug 2008, 07:36 pm »
Hiya guys,

As promised, I'm going to move the date of our yearly GAS Christmas Bash to a season where we don't have to worry about the weather. Be sure and mark Saturday September 27th on you calendar as this years gathering date for our annual GAS blowout. We’ll start the festivities about 2:00 and go until whenever.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll have all of the usual rooms and systems up and running. Knowing the last week in September is usually almost perfect weather, I'll even crank up some tunes on the front and back decks.

We haven't quite decided on the menu yet but we're sot of leaning towards DIY Kabobs. Whatever we go for, since the weather should be marvy, the food will definitely involve the grill. Be sure and invite the girls as you know, this is less about the listening and more about the gathering.

As we get closer to the date, I’ll post more about rooms, gear and food.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2008, 03:59 pm by Scott F. »

G

Re: The Annual GAS Blowout
« Reply #1 on: 3 Aug 2008, 11:59 pm »
Hiya guys,

As promised, I'm going to move the date of our yearly GAS Christmas Bash to a season where we don't have to worry about the weather. Be sure and mark Saturday September 27th on you calendar as this years gathering date for our annual GAS blowout. We’ll start the festivities about 2:00 and go until whenever.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll have all of the usual rooms and systems up and running. Knowing the last week in September is usually almost perfect weather, I'll even crank up some tunes on the front and back decks.

We haven't quite decided on the menu yet but we're sot of leaning towards DIY Kabobs. Whatever we go for, since the weather should be marvy, the food will definitely involve the grill. Be sure and invite the girls as you know, this is less about the listening and more about the gathering.

As we get closer to the date, I’ll post more about rooms, gear and food.

How about we bring the wives this year and make it a family outing? Just a thought. I asked my wife if she wanted to go but she said that unless other significant others show up that she doesn't want to go. Sound discriminatory to me.:)

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 4 Aug 2008, 02:03 am »
big snip...

......Be sure and invite the girls......

How about we bring the wives this year and make it a family outing?

Yep, absolutely  :thumb: (see above)

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:30 am »
Hey dude, I'll ask mine. She came to her first G2G at Bryan's a while back and seemed to have a very good time. Not once did I catch hear eyes rolling into the back of her head from boredom.  :lol:
I know she'd be more comfortable with more chicks in attendance (wouldn't we all). :wink:
When the time for the 'shindig' nears, I'm sure Scott will post an RSVP list. That'll let your wife know who's coming.

Hope to see you all there.

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2008, 11:25 am »
Will definitely say something to Sue.  Just for safety though, I think we'll bring two different cars.  Don't want to miss the late night listening sessions...  :wine: :drums: :banana piano:

Bryan

RSquires

• Main System
« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2008, 12:51 pm »
Hey Scott,

Sounds fun! Count me and Sarah in. As the date gets closer let us know if we should bring a dish.

Thanks,

Rick

electricbear

« Reply #6 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:27 pm »
I'll be along after work , probably about 5.30 ish. Let me know if you want me to bring along any toys from the store.

Blackmore

« Reply #7 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:31 pm »
My marching band is competing at Sullivan that day, so I'll stop by later in the evening.  I assume it will be "WAY TOO LOUD" by that time.  :thumb:

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:39 pm »
I'll be along after work , probably about 5.30 ish. Let me know if you want me to bring along any toys from the store.

You could bring the 1.2KW McIntosh monoblocks and we could hook them up to the Altecs  :lol:

jcrane

« Reply #9 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:51 pm »
WOOT!

I am off that weekend, something is actually working out for me with the new job and schedule!
I doubt Danielle will want to go, but if other ladies are there, she might change her tune!

jamie

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #10 on: 4 Aug 2008, 08:48 pm »
Sounds awesome, so its like a room-to-room but with music instead of alcohol, or both?  :D  I'll see if my wife wants to come, but most likely I'll end up bringing my friend who appreciates good sound systems better.  Maybe both if I can convince them.

jcrane

« Reply #11 on: 5 Aug 2008, 06:10 pm »
there has been a beer or two consumed in the past :wink:

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 5 Aug 2008, 07:00 pm »
What!?  Why was I never told about this????   :scratch:

:beer:

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 6 Aug 2008, 12:19 am »
Sounds awesome, so its like a room-to-room but with music instead of alcohol, or both:D 

:shh: Don't tell anybody where my stash is when you come over.

Believe it or not, I don't drink beer (its a sinus thing). I always have the guys bring their favorite brew with them when they come over. Personally, I like single malts (when I decide to partake) but I always keep a nice stock of other stuff on hand when we have guests over.

Some years have gotten pretty crazy. We've been known to extend the bash till two or three in the morning. At that time of night and under the influence, we've gotten pretty stupid a time or two.

dorokusai

• Polk Audio Customer Service
    • Polk Audio
« Reply #14 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:24 am »
Is that the Ark of the Single Malt? I'm removing my pants as we speak. Nice setup.

I will hopefully inherit a vintage ice case from my MIL. It's all wood and absolutely wonderful. They keep their liquor in it but its just cool.

Sorry for the thread crash....hope the event is sweet! It's awesome when folks get together to just hang out and groove on audio or talk shop.

Mark

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #15 on: 6 Aug 2008, 03:37 am »
Come on over Mark.  aa :wink:

Sarmck

« Reply #16 on: 8 Aug 2008, 04:36 pm »
Scott,

You guys picked a great day to have the bash on for this year, that day will be my 50th B-day.   :drums:

Unfortunately, I will miss the GAS Blowout this year.  Enjoy the event, have fun and smoke a few good cigars in my honor, if you would be so kind. 

Ron

drummerwill

« Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2008, 04:00 pm »
  Sound like it adding up to be another "Great GAS Get Together" can I bring a amp too or maybe a pair of 8" Field Coils on OB's ?

Willie

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2008, 04:28 pm »
Field coils?  :drool:

That'd be interesting.

Bryan

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 14 Aug 2008, 06:54 pm »
Willie,

That would be extremely cool. The field coils would be loads of fun to listen to.  :thumb:

In fact, I was going to give you call and see about using one of your amps. One of my DRD's lost its mind last weekend. It's something in the power supply but I haven't had a chance to trouble shoot it. All I know now is that it blows fuses without any tubes installed. If I don't have a chance to fix it, I'd love to borrow one of your amps for the day to drive either the Lowthers or the Altecs. Right now I'm using my 2A3 on the Lowthers. I'd forgotten how nice that little amp sounds.

Gathering Update
Tim (electricbear) has graciously offered to supply us with a McIntosh integrated for another room we are setting up. Ryan (turbo) will be supplying some of his brand new speakers to use behind the Mac. The speakers are designed around the cutaway sections on in another thread. Not sure which drivers he'll load them with but knowing Ryan, it should sound pretty darned good.

The HT rig in the living room should be on everybodies listening list. We just upgraded the Arcam AVR 100 (which is near death) with the new Integra 9.8 pre/pro (24/192 independent DACs for each channel). Next week I'll be taking delivery on a pair of JoLida tube hybrid amps that will drive the Aperion surround system. I had Mike build me a modified 1501 and 1703. The 1501 is 2x100wpc and the 1703 is 3x75wpc. Both amps use a 12AX7 as the gain stage feeding a Mosfet output. This system should have stellar sound. Also, John Wandershied at Aperion very graciously is letting us keep the new 6T floorstanders for the event. That means I've floorstanders all around and believe me, this system ROCKS even without the JoLida amps. It will get even better as things break in and the new amps arrive.