The Annual GAS Blowout ***NOW WITH PICS***

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: The Annual GAS Blowout
« Reply #20 on: 14 Aug 2008, 07:41 pm »
We just upgraded the Arcam AVR 100 (which is near death) with the new Integra 9.8 pre/pro
I thought you were going with the new Denon (3XXX) series unit?  :scratch:
Or was the Integra a deal you couldn't pass up?  :wink:

Bob

jcrane

« Reply #21 on: 14 Aug 2008, 08:02 pm »
I love the feature set of the Denon's but the price can get up there fast!

Tube Hybrid for surround sound, you are a sick little bunny :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:
 aa

Jamie

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 15 Aug 2008, 12:40 am »
We just upgraded the Arcam AVR 100 (which is near death) with the new Integra 9.8 pre/pro
I thought you were going with the new Denon (3XXX) series unit?  :scratch:
Or was the Integra a deal you couldn't pass up?  :wink:

Bob

I did get a deal I couldn't pass up from Tim  :wink:

I decided not to do the Denon after talking to a couple of people and giving one a listen. Not that it was bad but by the time I tossed money at that one, I'd still be left (at some point) wanting something better. So, I decided to practice what I preach so often, buy once, buy right and don't look back. Sure, I spent more than I wanted but I don't think that I'll be looking to upgrade the HT any time soon. The only other thing I could conceivably do in the HT is pure tube amplification but there is no way I'd go that route. Crap if I did that, I'd need another couple of tons of air conditioning to keep this place cool  :?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 15 Aug 2008, 11:21 am »
Gotcha. Understood about the Denon.

Regarding cooling the living room due to several channels of tube amps: You've still got the old fireplace flu above your TV, you could always install a kitchen range hood above the equipment to remove the heat.  :lol:

Bob

sturgus

« Reply #24 on: 15 Aug 2008, 08:51 pm »
Scott, I look forward to seeing everyone and kicking it. I will closely watch the weather channel for signs of snow  :lol:. Willie, would love to hear some of your goodies. I also will be bringing a prototype of John Hillig's Chameleon preamp with a set of tube daughter boards. He is going to let the GAS guys take it for a spin. I think a week or two per person should give an idea of what it sounds like. After GAS is done he would like some feedback and maybe send it out to some of the other Circle groups. If anyone has a mind to drive themselves crazy with rolling tubes this is the pre for you. Whoever would like to try it let me know so we can form so sort of list as to where it goes and in what order. I hope to see you all next month.
Sturgus

MerRev

« Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2008, 01:24 am »
thanks for hosting another party Scott.  I'll probably arrive solo but usually eat for two.    :lol:

drummerwill

« Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2008, 07:26 pm »

About the 8" FC's they are so hard to stop listening to. For July 4th I used up a case of beer and Barbecued a ton of Brats, listening to those things. I had them outside on cinder blocks powered by my Scott 299B.
  Even outside they sound absolutely gorgeous.
  I'll bring along the Big kahuna 300B amp just redid the power supply from CLCLC to LCLCLC, it really sounds even better now.
    See ya soon.
  Willie

jedi35

« Reply #27 on: 10 Sep 2008, 06:12 pm »
I've got a rehearsal and concert on the 27th, but I'll make it out for the late shift.

Adrian

Scott F.

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2008, 11:58 am »
Hiya Guys,

Just thought I'd give the post a little bump just in case somebody missed it. That and its time for a head count with the girls and friends included so we can figure out how much food to cook. Oh, I had mentioned DIY Kabobs earlier but that isn't going to work very well with the number of people that are likely to show up. We tried it with nine of us and it was pretty much chaos so Laura offered to do her ribs, brats, salsissa (sp) and her potato casserole.

If you guys wanted to bring some other goodies like; baked beans, chips and dip, veggie trays, fruit, salads, deserts, or anything else that sounds tasty that would be great. As always, I've got the premium spirits and soft drinks covered but since I don't drink beer you may want to bring your own. Oh, you may want to bring a cooler or two for the brews as both refrigerators will likely get packed with food.

Lets all pray the weather stays as gorgeous as its been most of the summer. If Mother Nature is kind to us, it should be one heck of a fun day  :thumb:

I'll start the head count;

Laura and me +6 (ribs, salsizza, brats, potato casserole)
Bryan +2 (blackberry wine cake, deviled eggs)
Blackmore (solo)
Mark G (solo)
Chris (solo)(chocolate dessert)
Adrian (solo)(dessert)
Willie (?)
Sturgus (+4)(baked beans, 7up cake)
Steve K
Bob (side dish)
Jamie
Gavin (+?)
Rick (+2)(side dish or appetizer)
Tim
Dwarfed Centipede (+1)
BPT Chris (solo)(wine and cheese basket)
Albert (venison)
Ryan
Joe K (watergate salad)
?Docutech
?Lofreek
?Alex

I'll keep updating this post with running totals
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 12:50 am by Scott F. »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #29 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:01 pm »
Count me for 5.  Grant and I will be bringing spouses and Grant's brother will likely tag along.  Don't know how long the girls will stay but we'll likely be there around 4ish.

Bryan

Blackmore

« Reply #30 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:03 pm »
Add 1 for me.  I'll be there after my marching band contest.  Maybe on the late side; just about when the dBs are getting into the stupid zone. :lol:

mark@marktwain

« Reply #31 on: 16 Sep 2008, 01:12 pm »
I'll be there. Ditto what Chris said, I'll probably eat for two though. aa

Mark

sturgus

« Reply #32 on: 17 Sep 2008, 12:54 am »
Scott count me in for 5. Cynthia and I and three guys from work.
Sturgus

Joe_K

« Reply #33 on: 17 Sep 2008, 02:01 am »
Scott,
Count me and +1 in.
Are the wives all coming?  If not I can eat for two too! :lol:
Joe

Scott F.

« Reply #34 on: 17 Sep 2008, 02:10 am »
Hiya Joe,

A fair number of wives are coming. Glad you can make it.

I'll send out directions and contact info a couple of days ahead for those that haven't been out before.

DeadFish

« Reply #35 on: 17 Sep 2008, 02:45 am »
Sorry to say I again won't be making another one. You folks have a great time without me, but be sure to let us all know how it went, and bring yer cameras.
 ---you just don't have to have a great time because I'm not there. :wink:

Take care and have a ball!

DeadFish

steve k

« Reply #36 on: 17 Sep 2008, 03:28 am »
I'll be there Scott. I'll eat for one and drink for two. :beer:
steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 17 Sep 2008, 10:51 am »
Yea, what Steve said.  :lol: I'll be solo.

Bob

jedi35

« Reply #38 on: 17 Sep 2008, 04:02 pm »
And don't forget Han(solo). Hah hah...

Adrian

dwarfed centipede

« Reply #39 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:17 pm »
I'm about 60% sure I'll be coming and 40% that my friend will be too.