The Annual GAS Blowout ***NOW WITH PICS***

sturgus

Re: The Annual GAS Blowout
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2008, 02:59 am »
Scott, We will bring baked beans and a 7up cake.  Also it's about time for you to put up directions.
Sturgus

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2008, 03:30 am »
Just a quick post. Thought I'd share a pick of Ryan's speakers that will be in one of the upstairs rooms on Saturday. They'll be mated to Tim's McIntosh integrated with a Bolder SB, the Paradisea and a turntable.

Three days and counting.

If anyone needs directions, PM me and I'll send you the particulars.
Scott ....

Do you happen to know if these (Ryan's speakers) will be at RMAF this year ?
Thanks.....and have a good "Blowout".... :beer:

Chris

funnyguy

« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2008, 06:19 am »
I live near Olive Blvd. and Lindbergh (Creve Coeur)

If anyone going to the GAS Bash lives in the area, I would

contribute gas $ for a ride.

Alan Rudolph
314-872-8853

Scott F.

« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2008, 11:16 am »
Hey Alan,

Alex mentioned that he wasn't going to be able to make it (and give you a ride). Hope you and Gene can make it out again!

Lonewolf,

Ryan's speakers will be at RMAF. He'll be in the room with Chris Hoff from BPT.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #64 on: 25 Sep 2008, 02:52 pm »
Wow, those are some good looking speakers. Who did the veneer job?

Scott F.

« Reply #65 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:23 am »
Wow, those are some good looking speakers. Who did the veneer job?

Ryan did it up in the wood shop.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:45 am »
Chris:
I did a write up with some more pix of Ryan's speaker in the Industry Talk circle.
Chris

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2008, 12:57 am »
Scott:
Just wanted to let you know I'll be arriving late as my daughter got a last minute call to pitch for her high school at a tournament in Columbia Friday and Saturday. I"ll bring a stack of my 2008 BPT Favorites CDR to give away.

jcrane

« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2008, 01:40 pm »
Scott
I might be working now, so I am more of a maybe.
If I do make it, I will bring a snack of some sort and some beer....

Jamie

Scott F.

« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:17 pm »
Hope you can make it. Should be a good time!

« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2008, 12:03 pm by Scott F. »

Scott F.

« Reply #70 on: 27 Sep 2008, 12:02 pm »
Happy Saturday everybody!

Just a final bump. Its going to be sunny and 80 degrees. A perfect day for BBQ'ing and hanging out listening to music with a big group of friends. The Blue room and the new open baffles are sounding quite good as is the Mac system. The Altecs are...well....the Altecs  :green: (I may change out speakers in there later in the day just for a taste of something different).

It's nice and dry up near the house so you can park on the lawn. Feel free to drive around the right side of the house and park there. Personally, I would avoid parking under the huge Sycamore tree to your left as you come down the driveway. Even when it looks dry, that area holds some moisture.

See everybody this afternoon  :thumb:

RSquires

• Main System
« Reply #71 on: 28 Sep 2008, 07:58 am »
Scott,

I wanted to thank you for throwing such an awesome party! It was great getting together and seeing all the local audio folks. I really enjoyed the lowethers in the basement system.   :drool: I could have listed for hours to that system. Ryan, your speakers were a hit as well. I can't wait to get them back in my house for another listen.

Rick

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #72 on: 28 Sep 2008, 03:32 pm »
-  Scott and Laura, Thanks BIG TIME for allowing us to invade your beautiful home.

It was good to meet everybody again, in addition meeting a few new faces. I had a great time and it looked like a fantastic time was had by all. Regrettably, I only had a few minutes to listen to Scott's new baffles. Apparently nine hours wasn't enough time to do everything, see everybody, and hear everything. Kudos to Doug for allowing us to watch the calibration of Scott's Mitsubishi. The guy should be an ISF calibration instructor, as he answered all of our questions in great detail. A great guy to chat with. Scott, I'll increase my offer to $150 to buy your TV.  I'll save you the pain of having to stare at a flawed display device.  :wink: Ryan, your speakers sounded very good. Nice job on the build!
Mark, thanks again for allowing me to borrow the cables. That will be fun to experiment with!

So many people to talk to, so much good equipment to listen to. It's a shame time flys by so fast as I didn't get a chance to shake as many hands as I wanted to.

Bob

BPT

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 28 Sep 2008, 05:28 pm »
Can't thank Scott and Laura enough for hosting such a great event. The weather was perfect. There was so much great sound, food, drink and colorful conversation, that time just flew bye. Maybe we'll have to turn this into a two day event  Wink2 . The lowethers threw a huge soundstage and looked really cool--great job Scott. Ryan's speakers sounded awesome even in the smallish room. Most of the guys got to hear the new Empirical Off-Ramp 3 which sounded fantastic. It has speed, sensational low level detailing, ultra low noise floor and is intensely musical--what a neat product. I didn't get to sit-in on the video calibration session--too much good audio goin' on. It was fun seeing everyone and meeting new audiophiles. It doesn't get any better than this.

Chris

steve k

« Reply #74 on: 28 Sep 2008, 06:57 pm »
Likewise,
Thanks to Scott and Laura for a wonderful time and to Albert for the deer meat. Best weather we've ever had. I enjoyed seeing the old crew and was glad to see lots of new faces too. Your planar lowthers look and sound sharp. I enjoyed Ryan's speakers too--very nice. Willie and I tried to take Mike Allen's place this time in the single malt cabinet--hope we didn't do too much damage. Looking forward to the big organ event next week.
steve

Scott F.

« Reply #75 on: 29 Sep 2008, 12:47 am »
Hiya Guys,

Thanks to everybody for making it out last night. It was great having the girls join in on our party. If the way I feel the day after cab be used to gauge the quality of a party, this was a great one....and I only had one tumbler of scotch. Doing a quick head count, we had 38 people show up. Thats one heck of a turn out. It was great seeing all the new faces too.

There was a little something for everyone. The redrum with Willies 300b sounded as good as I've ever heard Altecs sound. The smallish green room loaded with the McIntosh integrated, Tim's Marantz turntable, the Empirical Offramp III and the new BPT speakers (Ryan's design) and the GIK (Bryan's) room treatments sounded very good. I have to admit, the main system in the Blue Room was sounding especially good too. I'm not sure I can take it too much further sound-wise. Now its down to simple tweaks like cabling and power cords although new woofer cabinets are on the horizon.

Hey Rick, you'll need to plan another visit. After cleaning, re-oiling the bearing on the big turntable and letting it run in for an hour or two, it really came back to life. Plus, with as many people as we had here, it was pretty tough to focus on the big system.

Unfortunately I was so busy last night running between rooms and visiting, I didn't get a chance to take any pictures. I'm pretty sure Ryan did though. As soon as he emails them to me, I'll get them posted.

A special thanks to everybody who brought side dishes and libations. More thanks to Tim and The Sound Room for letting us borrow the McIntosh integrated and his turntable. I sure wish the video calibration had turned out better but finding out about the bad board sure explains why the picture is off. I wish I could have hung out and followed the whole thing. One last huge thanks to Ryan who helped out tremendously this past week to get our house set up for the party.

The weather really was perfect for the party. I think we'll have to make this one a permanent change. As for Chris' suggestion of a two day event, I'm not sure I'd survive that one. It might be fun to try though  :lol:

Oh, It looks like somebody left behind a blue and white cooler.

For those who couldn't make it, you missed probably the best party we've had out here so far.
I'll post pics as soon as I get them.

MerRev

« Reply #76 on: 29 Sep 2008, 02:08 am »
I'll second both of your comments Scott:
There was a little something for everyone. The redrum with Willies 300b sounded as good as I've ever heard Altecs sound. The smallish green room loaded with the McIntosh integrated, Tim's Marantz turntable, the Empirical Offramp III and the new BPT speakers (Ryan's design) and the GIK (Bryan's) room treatments sounded very good. I have to admit, the main system in the Blue Room was sounding especially good too. I'm not sure I can take it too much further sound-wise.
&
For those who couldn't make it, you missed probably the best party we've had out here so far.
   :thumb:
Very nice party Scott- thank Laura for us too.  It was really good to visit with everyone again and I had a blast.  I have to admit I was downright smitten with Willie's 300B driving the Altecs - they were singing some beautiful jazz. 

sturgus

« Reply #77 on: 29 Sep 2008, 03:02 am »
I just want to say DAMN!!!!! that was good. Every thing was great Scott, this was the best one yet. Tell Lara thank you very much for allowing us to invade her house. It was great seeing the regulars and the new guys. I am in love with Willie's amp and the Altecs. This was a great synergy and did so well in the red room. Everything was sounding good. I could live with any of the systems there. Scott I think I left my TUMI cd will try and pick it up next time. When I get back from vacation I will try and host a session for a few guys.
Sturgus

drummerwill

« Reply #78 on: 29 Sep 2008, 12:47 pm »

Scott and Laura
   Thank you for providing a place for a really memorable event.
    I thought you Lowther and Lexan OB's were amazing, your ear for just the right Xover point is
    truly uncanny.
    And you did the same with the Altecs, getting those babies work in a small room is really a feat !

I was just as impressed with Ryans speakers, They were so quick and solid, they filled that room
    almost instantaneously. Great work Ryan!

Steve I think if I would have stayed later, the Single Malt shelf would have one less bottle of
    GlenRothers to Clutter it up!

Again, Thanks Scott and Laura for a great time!

Willie

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #79 on: 29 Sep 2008, 01:32 pm »
It certainly was a great time.  Please pass on my thanks to Laura. 

All of the systems were sounding good.  Must have been a good karma night.  The OB Lowthers looked really nice and I think you got the baffles just right.  That's certainly the best I've heard them. 

Oh - and that's my cooler.  I'll stop out and pick it up sometime.

Bryan