Interested in hearing a Zu monitor speaker?

Zu

• http://www.zucable.com
« on: 8 May 2003, 02:23 am »
Ton1313 has proposed that we dedicate a pair of our monitor speakers to be sent around to a list of interested parties.  Please post or email me with your opinion.

Thanks,

Adam
Zu

BikeWNC

« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2003, 02:34 am »
Hi Adam,

I tried to get some info on your speakers and sub on the Zu website, but could only access the Druid info.  Will you be updating the website anytime soon?  Can you provide some data on the monitors?

Thanks, Andy

Zu

Zu monitor pro info
« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2003, 02:53 am »
Our monitor pro speaker utilizes the same driver/tweeter combination as our Druid just in a smaller and ported box.

Sonically the Monitor pro is very similar to the Druid everywhere but the bass where it does give up a little to its larger counterpart.  It features IBIS internal cabling and our B3 connection.  It is 99db sensitive at 1W.

Price is $1495/pair.  

Please let me know if you have any specific questions on performance.

Adam
Zu

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2003, 03:02 am »
Adam:

I think that would be a really great idea. . .  Sign me up!

B

Sa-dono

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2003, 03:27 am »
Adam:

I would be highly interested in hearing them. Sign me up too.

Also any idea to the weight and impedence?

-Ryan

PS. I'm the one who bought the Halo ;)
PPS. Send them to me first  :lol:
PPPS. I had to try Hantra :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2003, 03:38 am »
hi adam,

i mite be interested in an audition.  a few questions:
specs?
any pics?
actual weight & shipping weight?
size?
stand requirements?
is there a "monitor2" improved wersion, similar to the druid2?
i use a pair of vmps larger subs, crossed over to my mains w/a marchand xm-9LL - any adwantage to my getting the floor-standing model, assuming budget weren't a consideration?   :wink:   ie: what does it give up, compared to the big guys, besides low end?  

thanks,

doug s.

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2003, 05:59 am »
That's going to be one steep shipping bill - the only bummer part about these pass-'em-around auditions.  I would love to hear them though.

aaird

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2003, 12:24 pm »
I am also interested.

And Fedex Ground is pretty inexpensive for shipping.  I know, I just sent some full range towers (60lbs each) for less than $50.  

It should not kill the budget.

Andrew

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #8 on: 8 May 2003, 12:36 pm »
if i audition these (seriously leaning towards it!), i will definitely use fedex - ups charged me ~$56 to ship the 75lb gr-research criterion box from maryland to delaware!?!  :x

doug s.

audiojerry

« Reply #9 on: 8 May 2003, 01:54 pm »
I think that if ZU can work out the logistics, the shipping distance and cost can be kept to a minimum by sending them from one person to the next  closest geographically. I know Nathan, Jackman, and a few others are within 100 miles of each other. For Nathan and myself, there would be no shipping expense at all.

To make it fair, maybe those of us who don't have to ship can share the cost with the one's that do.

byteme

« Reply #10 on: 8 May 2003, 02:37 pm »
Audiojerry,

Count me in on that local loop!  I'd be happy to split up outbound shipping 3-4 ways and do local deliveries between us!!

Zu,

The only issue I could see is the proprietary b3 connection on the speakers.  Are there other connection options?  I've got your wax cables with spades on both ends.  Second, would these need stands?  Assuming these questions are no biggie, count me in!!

jcoat007

« Reply #11 on: 8 May 2003, 03:35 pm »
Adam:

I would love to hear them.  Count me in.  

What are you going to do about the speaker cables?  You mentioned they have the B3 connection.  Do they also have a binding post for spades and/or bananas?

Thanks

Steve

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2003, 03:39 pm »
Wow, 99db.... :!:

What is the minimum impedance?
How flat is the curve?

Sounds like a great match for a 45 tube amp. :idea:

Brad

« Reply #13 on: 8 May 2003, 03:48 pm »
Adam,

When do you think you'll update the Zu website with pics, tech details on the monitor?

I'd love to get in on the audition, but $1500 is a lot of liquor stores to knock over  :roll:

Zu

Additional info on the Monitor speakers
« Reply #14 on: 8 May 2003, 04:41 pm »
Regarding the B3 connection we will send them with our new WAX-2 cable which we are releasing in the near future.  Would 10' work on everyones systems?  I know that one length won't be ideal but if everyone can come up with a general length that can work for everyone we will happily include those cables.

Stands are not going to be included because of shipping weight but everyone has a couple of milk crates lying around right?  Just kidding.

Regarding the size and shipping weight you are looking at a box of dimensions 16X16X24 and weighing in around 45lbs with the cables included.

To answer your question Brad about frequency response we hope to have the numbers published soon.  I will be sure to keep everyone posted on those.

Minimum impedance on the monitors is 8 Ohm.

Adam
Zu

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #15 on: 8 May 2003, 05:37 pm »
Once again another fine audio company comes through with a home audition for its (hopefully) future customers ! Good business practice for them and good will for its future customers !! :D  Best way to audition is at home, and I think more co.'s should try this approach- its a win'win for all!! :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #16 on: 8 May 2003, 05:47 pm »
ok adam, put me on the audition list.  still curious about answers to my questions that haven't awreddy been answered yet, tho - like how these compare to the floorstanding druid2's, when used w/passive subs & active x-over...   :wink:

regards,

doug s.

nathanm

« Reply #17 on: 8 May 2003, 09:17 pm »
I think it would be better to have a regular binding post jack on the back.  Even if I loved and wanted to buy the speakers I would never buy $300+ Zu cables with some proprietary connector! :o No offense...  The demo pair at least should have posts, provided demo cable or not.  Also, 10 feet won't be long enough for my setup, I have my amps behind the listening position.  Sorry...

Zu

« Reply #18 on: 8 May 2003, 10:26 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
I think it would be better to have a regular binding post jack on the back.  Even if I loved and wanted to buy the speakers I would never buy $300+ Zu cables with some proprietary connector! :o No offense...  The demo pair at least should have posts, provided demo cable or not.  Also, 10 feet won't be long enough for my setup, I have my amps behind the listening position.  Sorry...

The monitor speakers do have an option for regular spade connection as well as the B3 connection just like the Druid.  It is a cardas binding post system and accepts standard and oversized spades as well as bananas.

The B3 cables will be included for anyone interested in hearing the difference.

Adam
Zu

RooX

« Reply #19 on: 9 May 2003, 12:05 am »
I would love to get in on the action, if a few others from canada want to join as well.. I don't want to deal with customs and all of that garbage by myself!

cheers,
Colin Hill