Wanted a Turntable for Christmas, ended up with a headache.......

Johnny2Bad

Just thought I would have a look on eBay and see what's available for under $1000 today (Sunday 27 Dec 2015) for used turntables of a minimum sonic quality:

A Kenwood KD-3055 for a Buy-It-Now $US 290
You could afford to replace the tonearm with a RB-251 and add a good cartridge and still be well under $1K, or just buy a Denon DL-103 and a Step Up Transformer and use the Kenwood arm, which would be an excellent match for the Denon Moving Coil.

Kenwood KD-500 with an ADC LMF-1 Tonearm and a custom dustcover, Buy-It-Now $US 445
You could sell the tonearm alone for more than the Buy-It-Now price. The ADC arm is perfectly suited to modern low-compliance cartridges, making a less expensive Moving Magnet cartridge a superb option. This is a "theft" listing; the table itself is excellent.

Thorens TD 166 MKII $C 625 ($US 470)

The above in the first 50 listings with search criteria:
"Turntable" All Listings
North America
More than $Canadian 200 ($US 150)
Used

In the next 150 listings:

Micro Seiki CF-1 Tonearm with Cardas rewire/Clips (tonearm only, but great tonearm) $US 450 Buy-It-Now

Pro-ject RM 1.3 Turntable in Red $US 385 Buy-It-Now

Technics SL-D1; unspecified Audio-Technica Cartridge $US 152.15 Buy-It-Now
eMail seller and confirm it works, try to find out what cartridge is included. These are very decent (double-isolated, DC Direct Drive, Tangental Tracking) 'tables and are ideal for people who don't want to "fuss" since they are 100% automatic (push a button to play, stop, pause). The price falls into the "theft" category.

Denon DP-3000 Motor and Base (mislabeled, actual item is Denon DP-3500) $US 599 Buy-It-Now
Not selling at a bargain price, but these tables are difficult to find and out-perform almost any DC Direct Drive table (eg Technics and all non-Denon Japanese DD tables) so priced at market value. Cut out for SME tonearm.

Beware of idiots who, while cleaning a Denon AC DD table for resale, clean the underside of the rim where the speed control band resides. This can, if done the way idiots are excellent at, render the turntable useless. Ask the seller about what he did to prepare the table for listing; don't let on you know about this process so that he/she is more likely to fess up innocently. And don't touch this yourself. I said touch! Not even once!

I didn't include any tables that were not Buy-It-Now; so no tables that were actively being bided on; there are a number of tables a knowledgable buyer might decide to try and snipe.

I spent about 20 minutes on the search and results limited to 200 listings; if I was really looking I would spend more time and effort and probably find three times as many candidates as above, including some "sleeper" bargains, like the Revolver with decent cartridge that was re-listed 3 times with a Buy-It-Now price under $400 that was on eBay around October and November 2015.

And now for a warning: shipping a turntable is not a trivial matter. Regardless of what turntable you consider, if it's used, you must eMail the seller and be sure they know enough to properly pack a turntable, before you bid.

Typical packing requirements:
remove the platter, deal with any transport screws (naive sellers often try to operate the table with transport screws cinched down; this will result in either a non-turning platter or table damage) and secure the tonearm, cartridge, and any loose accessories properly.

A knowledgable seller can pack a turntable without the original box and packing, but a clueless one can't be assumed to pack one properly even if the original box and packing is present; talk to them and decide if you can either clue them in or if it's hopeless.

Double-Boxing is highly recommended (for all audio components, actually) regardless.

geowak

Just thought I would have a look on eBay and see what's available for under $1000 today (Sunday 27 Dec 2015) for used turntables of a minimum sonic quality:

A Kenwood KD-3055 for a Buy-It-Now $US 290
You could afford to replace the tonearm with a RB-251 and add a good cartridge and still be well under $1K, or just buy a Denon DL-103 and a Step Up Transformer and use the Kenwood arm, which would be an excellent match for the Denon Moving Coil.

Kenwood KD-500 with an ADC LMF-1 Tonearm and a custom dustcover, Buy-It-Now $US 445
You could sell the tonearm alone for more than the Buy-It-Now price. The ADC arm is perfectly suited to modern low-compliance cartridges, making a less expensive Moving Magnet cartridge a superb option. This is a "theft" listing; the table itself is excellent.

Thorens TD 166 MKII $C 625 ($US 470)

The above in the first 50 listings with search criteria:
"Turntable" All Listings
North America
More than $Canadian 200 ($US 150)
Used

In the next 150 listings:

Micro Seiki CF-1 Tonearm with Cardas rewire/Clips (tonearm only, but great tonearm) $US 450 Buy-It-Now

Pro-ject RM 1.3 Turntable in Red $US 385 Buy-It-Now

Technics SL-D1; unspecified Audio-Technica Cartridge $US 152.15 Buy-It-Now
eMail seller and confirm it works, try to find out what cartridge is included. These are very decent (double-isolated, DC Direct Drive, Tangental Tracking) 'tables and are ideal for people who don't want to "fuss" since they are 100% automatic (push a button to play, stop, pause). The price falls into the "theft" category.

Denon DP-3000 Motor and Base (mislabeled, actual item is Denon DP-3500) $US 599 Buy-It-Now
Not selling at a bargain price, but these tables are difficult to find and out-perform almost any DC Direct Drive table (eg Technics and all non-Denon Japanese DD tables) so priced at market value. Cut out for SME tonearm.

Beware of idiots who, while cleaning a Denon AC DD table for resale, clean the underside of the rim where the speed control band resides. This can, if done the way idiots are excellent at, render the turntable useless. Ask the seller about what he did to prepare the table for listing; don't let on you know about this process so that he/she is more likely to fess up innocently. And don't touch this yourself. I said touch! Not even once!

I didn't include any tables that were not Buy-It-Now; so no tables that were actively being bided on; there are a number of tables a knowledgable buyer might decide to try and snipe.

I spent about 20 minutes on the search and results limited to 200 listings; if I was really looking I would spend more time and effort and probably find three times as many candidates as above, including some "sleeper" bargains, like the Revolver with decent cartridge that was re-listed 3 times with a Buy-It-Now price under $400 that was on eBay around October and November 2015.

And now for a warning: shipping a turntable is not a trivial matter. Regardless of what turntable you consider, if it's used, you must eMail the seller and be sure they know enough to properly pack a turntable, before you bid.

Typical packing requirements:
remove the platter, deal with any transport screws (naive sellers often try to operate the table with transport screws cinched down; this will result in either a non-turning platter or table damage) and secure the tonearm, cartridge, and any loose accessories properly.

A knowledgable seller can pack a turntable without the original box and packing, but a clueless one can't be assumed to pack one properly even if the original box and packing is present; talk to them and decide if you can either clue them in or if it's hopeless.

Double-Boxing is highly recommended (for all audio components, actually) regardless.
The last part of your post is very informative. Some sellers know how to pack a TT and for many who refurbish these tables they want good business. Many others which MAY include pawn shops, second hand stores, etc are content with throwing a great TT in a box with 4 styrofoam peanuts. Needless to say it arrives damaged. All the time and effort that was taken by the buyer, in finding a great TT at a great price goes down the drain.

Best to find a reputable seller and contact them, even if you have to pay more. That does not mean it has to be found on ebay.

TKonrad.NOLA

I don't know if Digitaldude is still following this thread but I'd jump on that link Thunderbrick posted. 
Why for you tempt me, Thunderbrick???  I already have two turntables, I don't need a third one...

Still following the thread.  I am talking to the guy who is selling the Clearaudio Concept. 

bacobits1

The Concept should be a nice table!!!
Just make sure it is all broken down when shipped. It should be if he has the original packing.

I have a CA Emotion SE with the CMB bearing and the Carbon Satisfy arm it really goes beyond it's price.

Mis-info on no VTA adjustments on Rega or Clearaudio tables too. Of course there is VTA adjustment.

eclubow

Just make sure it is all broken down when shipped. It should be if he has the original packing.

I have a CA Emotion SE with the CMB bearing and the Carbon Satisfy arm it really goes beyond it's price.

Mis-info on no VTA adjustments on Rega or Clearaudio tables too. Of course there is VTA adjustment.
Rega arms have no provision for VTA (vertical tracking angle) adjustment, so if your’e using a tall cartridge you’ll need to re-mount the arm using spacers .

bacobits1

Or other means out there for Rega far from impossible.
I have had 3 Regas single post mounts and 3 screw mounts.
It's nothing to remove that arm. If you are into TT's you better get used to setup tinkering.

Wayner

Its not mis-information. They can't be adjusted with out it being a pain in the ass. I own a Rega RB-300 and if you want to adjust the arm height, you need washers or spacers to do so, then you are at the mercy of washer or spacer thickness. They are horse $hit arms to deal with in this respect. I have no idea why the arm designer(s) would not at least provide a slip collar and a set screw to make things easy.

'ner

bacobits1

Because Gandy is umm..... an idiot? OK a little harsh. My opinion of course.
But he says you don't ever need to clean vinyl just another one of his wonderful ideas.
It's a wonder Rega's sound as good as they do. Luck because it aint' precision.
Now you know what I think of Regas. I had 3 of them. No mo Regas. Overpriced for what they are.
The new one's I'm talking about here.

A lot of people starting out in TT's shouldn't unless you have a collection of vinyl already.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2015, 12:20 pm by bacobits1 »

eclubow

Or other means out there for Rega far from impossible.
I have had 3 Regas single post mounts and 3 screw mounts.
It's nothing to remove that arm. If you are into TT's you better get used to setup tinkering.

The OP said he was not into tinkering, so I doubt this option would have great appeal to him. That's why I suggested Rega in the first place. In all the years I've been listening, I've never adjusted VTA ( and please don't tell me what I'm missing).

bacobits1

But ya gotta tinker that's how ya squeeze more out.

eclubow

Because Gandy is umm..... an idiot?
It's a wonder Rega's sound as good as they do. Luck because it aint' precision.
Now you know aht I think of Regas. No mo Regas. Overpriced for what they are.

A lot of people starting out in TT's shouldn't unless you have a collection of vinyl already.

I really love the Rega sound, the simplicity, the lack of tinkering, and fact that I've rarely had any problems with them. So shoot me!!!

eclubow

But ya gotta tinker that's how ya squeeze more out.

"squeezing more out"? I have laxatives for that.

bacobits1

Kaboom!

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record

By that logic a lot of people interested in music shouldn't buy a system unless they already have a music collection.  :lol:

--Jerome

dmckean

There's no shortage of good records out there. Guys are constantly coming and going from this hobby. Plus there's more Vinyl being pressed now then there has been since the 80s.

Don_S

Gentlemen,

Thank you sincerely.  Once again you have cured me from any desire to purchase a turntable even though I have a large collection of vinyl from my youth. I do not have the temperament for it.  :duh:

Periodically I get the urge to get a TT and try my old albums.  Thankfully the feeling passes with a little help from my friends.  :lol:

sunnydaze

Even if you don't wanna '' tinker'' I still consider reasonably easy VTA adjustment an absolute must.   You do wanna get the VTA right, correct?   Just like all the other setup parameters. 

Carts come in different heights,  and for some stylus profiles nailing correct VTA is critical to good sound.   It can be the difference between so-so and eargasm.  So achieving a correct VTA is important.   You don't need to be an OCD hand wringing tinkerer to wanna get VTA right during setup.  An arm that offers VTA adjust is just another setup tool, no different than VTF and bias and null points.  Having it available is not necessarily a gateway to extreme tinkering nervosa, or some rabbit hole that's gonna send you into an OCD tailspin.   :lol:

Personally,  I would never buy an arm without VTA adjustment.   It's just too important,  and without it you may never achieve the true  glory your cart has to offer.   And no,  I'm not a huge tinkerer.   But upon initial cart setup I do play around w VTA.   I start w level arm and fine tune by ear.   Once it sounds natural and locked in and like gears meshing that's  it,  I don't touch it.   Mainly from fear of messing up the mojo and planetary alignment I just worked so hard to create.      :lol:

eclubow

Gentlemen,

Thank you sincerely.  Once again you have cured me from any desire to purchase a turntable even though I have a large collection of vinyl from my youth. I do not have the temperament for it.  :duh:

Periodically I get the urge to get a TT and try my old albums.  Thankfully the feeling passes with a little help from my friends.  :lol:

We're glad to help. Anytime you get a resurgence of these feelings, feel free to return and be discouraged all over again. Or, I can give you the name of a good therapist.

eclubow

Even if you don't wanna '' tinker'' I still consider easy VTA adjustment an absolute must.   Carts come in different heights,  and for some stylus profiles nailing correct VTA is critical to good sound.   So achieving a correct VTA for a specific cart is important.   You don't gotta be an OCD hand wringing tinkerer to wanna get VTA right during setup.   And an arm that offers reasonably easy adjustment allows for this.

Personally,  I would never buy an arm without VTA adjustment.   Its just too important,  and without it you may never achieve the true  glory your cart has to offer.   And no,  Im not a huge tinkerer.   But i do play around w VTA when setting up a cart.   I start w level arm and fine tune by ear.   Once it sounds natural and locked in and like gears meshing
 that's  it,  I dont touch it.   Mainly from fear of messing up the mojo and planetary alignment.     :lol:

This never ends, I guess! Thanks, but my planetary alignments lately have been great. For those of you who like adjusting VTA, I wish you well. I guess it's too difficult to understand that EVERYBODY'S DIFFERENT!!!!! Some of us even enjoy listening to music occasionally.... Give up, already! I'm clearly immovable on the subject.

sunnydaze

I wasn't speaking to you specifically.  I was speaking in general to some comments above that suggested that having an arm that provides the ability to setup a cart with correct VTA is somehow equivalent to excessive nervosa and tinkering.

Fact of the matter is, getting good vinyl playback means paying attention to setup parameters.  All of them, not just VTA.  If you're not interested in doing that, fine.  To each his own.  But paying attention to and setting up a playback parameter properly is certainly not excessive tinkering.  Not in my book.  But if you feel differently, fine.   I'm not trying to change your mind.  I simply state facts.

When you get your car tuned up, or repaired, or put air in the tires, or change oil,  or adjust it in any other way so that it provides it's intended performance, is that excessive tinkering?       :scratch: