What's it like in your listening room? Let's post videos!

neekomax

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I picked the Starting Block, 'cause I guess I'm (relatively) new to audiophilia.

Anyhoo, thought it would be cool to start a thread where those of us so inclined could post links to videos of their listening rooms/ systems in action. I mean, we talk about this stuff endlessly, wouldn't be cool to see/ hear them for real? (I'm talking to YOU, high end guys!!!  :lol:). I know they won't be representative of how they really sound, but who cares, we all know that.

Edit: Here's my updated listening room demo video, shot with an iPad (video), and the audio was captured with a Zoom H4N digital recorder (great piece of kit, highly recommended). Yes, this is actually the ambient recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1IOqA7lLqQ&feature=youtu.be

Ok, your turn!

Here's my room at night, a little nicer ambiance...

« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2013, 09:03 pm by neekomax »

doug067

Re: What's it like in your listening room? Let's post videos!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2013, 11:00 pm »
Yea there's some insanity I'd like to see as well. Make me feel better. I'll be back with mine in alitte while. I have more insanity coming fedex. shhh... don't tell the wife

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm »
Neekomax, I admire your choice of speakers. 

neekomax

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2013, 01:25 am »
Neekomax, I admire your choice of speakers.

Thank you, Jim. They are definitely my prize audio possessions. Too bad they're discontinued, but I'll be anxious to see what AJ offers next.

neekomax

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:21 pm »
So.... read 144 times and not one video  :(.

Well, I thought it was a cool idea.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:29 pm »
So.... read 144 times and not one video  :(.

Well, I thought it was a cool idea.
I think it's a cool idea too Neeko. I say that, although I've never done it myself.  :oops:
Check out this thread I started a couple days ago.
Good job on the video, although I can't hear the audio until tonight when I get home and watch on a PC that has speakers.  :duh:

Good thread though, I'd love to see more videos.

Bob

WC

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:45 pm »
I might post one, but only after I complete my equipment rack. Cut the boards for it on Sunday. Nobody wants to see a stack of components sitting on top of each other balancing precariously.  :roll:

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2013, 04:51 pm »
Great! Would love to see whatever you guys want to post! I'll probably re-do mine when I get a moment, I have a very good digital recorder that I'll use to get a much better take of the actual sound. That will help, I'm sure. Plus I'll tidy up, and make sure my lighting is decent.

Come on, AC, let's see what you got!

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:05 am »
I'll play. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYK9XHdvuUc

System when this was recorded earlier tonight, Lindemann USB DAC > Kaplan GS > DIY tube pre > Kaplan GS > Acoustic Imagery ATSAH NC amps > MG Audio Planus III cables > Vapor Audio Arcus.

My room needs stuff on the walls, plants, something, but it's rather plain, like it's owner.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:42 am »

System when this was recorded earlier tonight, Lindemann USB DAC > Kaplan GS > DIY tube pre > Kaplan GS > Acoustic Imagery ATSAH NC amps > MG Audio Planus III cables > Vapor Audio Arcus.

My room needs stuff on the walls, plants, something, but it's rather plain, like it's owner.
what's that cut you played ?? Greg

mgalusha

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2013, 04:58 am »
what's that cut you played ?? Greg

Train Time from The Weavers - Reunion At Carnegie Hall 1963. Not that you can tell from the phone video but this was a 24/96 I ripped from a DVD.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2013, 07:24 am »
No videos from me. But i have a blog post that describes my room. It is key to helping my hifi work as well as it does,

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/planet10/493-fall-listening-space.html

dave

neekomax

« Reply #12 on: 14 Feb 2013, 12:55 pm »

Awesome! I love your room, I think minimilism is cool. I'm also a big fan of white speakers  :thumb: Those Vapors are sick looking. Are those 10" drivers?

Nice front end, too. Obviously I have nowhere near that level of gear. Did it take you a long time to put that system together? Are you happy with it?

Thanks for posting!

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 14 Feb 2013, 05:53 pm »
Awesome! I love your room, I think minimilism is cool. I'm also a big fan of white speakers  :thumb: Those Vapors are sick looking. Are those 10" drivers?

Nice front end, too. Obviously I have nowhere near that level of gear. Did it take you a long time to put that system together? Are you happy with it?

Yes, the Vapor's have a 10" AE woofer and a Beyma AMT. They are not mine, just on loan.

Front end, happy for now, particularly with the TT, which isn't really shown in the quickie vid. As for a long time, I suppose so, I started playing with audio when I was 12 and I'm 52 now. :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2013, 01:08 am »
Finally got a chance to watch the videos on a PC with speakers. Good stuff guys.

I posted a quick and dirty vid of my modest system ............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaM_whgvuao
Me'shell Ndegeocello is great. She's interesting with some great tunes. Love her voice, good choice.
Thanks again for starting the thread.
The room looks about as cozy and relaxing as a guy could possibly ask for. A glass of something nice, and some great tunes....yea......  :thumb:

Good job Mike. I'm sure it's a safe bet that room sounds famtastic. Regarding your comments on YouTube about the room being "plain", well....who cares?
It's your room and you built it the way you want it. Nothing else matters, no excuses. That's your haven.

You fellas are really pushing me to get off my butt and do mine.
Bob

neekomax

« Reply #15 on: 26 Feb 2013, 06:59 pm »
Ok, I made a MUCH better video with high quality audio... what do you guys think of this?

http://youtu.be/A1IOqA7lLqQ

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:02 pm »
Mike, now THAT'S how you're supposed to place acoustic driver speakers and I bet you are sitting at the apex of triangle with them.  It appears that you only want the ambience that is in your recordings judging from all the back wall damping.  Man, you get a whole bunch of love from me.  We can't all be so lucky, Mike built his room from his mind out.  I would love to be where you are sitting.  Congratulations. 

mgalusha

« Reply #17 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:23 pm »
Ok, I made a MUCH better video with high quality audio... what do you guys think of this?

I think it sounds great, way better than I expected for a YT video.  :thumb:

Mike, now THAT'S how you're supposed to place acoustic driver speakers and I bet you are sitting at the apex of triangle with them.  It appears that you only want the ambience that is in your recordings judging from all the back wall damping.  Man, you get a whole bunch of love from me.  We can't all be so lucky, Mike built his room from his mind out.  I would love to be where you are sitting.  Congratulations. 

You are kind. Actually the room very much drives the speaker placement. Pretty much every speaker I've had in there sounds best in almost that exact spot, a little one way or the other, but that seems to be where all the modal anomalies are minimal. The only exception so far is when a friend brought over a pair of "The Clue" speakers, they are designed to work against the wall, so that is where they went.

Apex yes, equilateral, not quite. I sit about 117% of the distance between the speakers, again driven by where the modes in the room are smoothest. Further forward offers a somewhat more immersive sound stage but things can be a little aggressive and the bass is not as smooth. Further back and the imaging isn't as good, the bass is worse and rear wall reflections come into play, though I do have some absorption on that wall as well, not a lot tho.

I was fortunate on the room, about a year after we moved into this house my wife suggested I finish part of the basement as a listening room, so I had one chance and I spent considerable time working with Bryan Pape from GIK Acoustics on the design. I did the best I could within the budget and building codes. :) Strongly recommend consulting with him or another professional if the situation allows.

rooze

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:25 pm »

http://youtu.be/A1IOqA7lLqQ

Very nice, may I ask what the music is you're playing?

Rooze

neekomax

« Reply #19 on: 26 Feb 2013, 08:39 pm »
Very nice, may I ask what the music is you're playing?

Rooze

Thanks, that's "In Another Place", off of Sade's latest album, "Soldier of Love". I chose it because of the different types of instruments involved (horns, violin, female voice, etc.), and nice production values. Plus, it's just a cool song.