What's it like in your listening room? Let's post videos!

mgalusha

Re: What's it like in your listening room? Let's post videos!
« Reply #80 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:11 am »
No judgement on any of them, mine sounds like ass on the video. :)

Your second one shows up to 720p and I thought it sounded quite nice via the super high end speakers in this old laptop.  :thumb:

Looks like mine finally finished, at least YouTube says it did. Have to try playing it.

a.wayne

« Reply #81 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:23 am »
A friend took this while she was visiting. Sorry it's a short one. I've never gotten around to taking a video myself. Whenever I'm about to I just end up plopping down on my favorite chair. I should though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMvljYgzsNU&feature=player_embedded

No matter how many times i view your room Jack , I'm always impressed ...:)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #82 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:26 am »
Yea Mike....  :scratch: ..... Now my video shows up as 720 and 1080.
Immediately after upload is only had 480 as the highest.
Oh well..... the video still looks and sounds like crap, even in HD.  :lol:

Bob

a.wayne

« Reply #83 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:26 am »
Infinite baffle is where the rear wave doesn't enter the equation. The energy created is put in an attic, basement, or outside where it doesn't affect the front wave.
From the net;
A loudspeaker enclosure that totally separates sound emanating from the rear of the speaker cone from sound emanating in front, so as to prevent mutual interference.

I do want to make a video, I've just been lazy. Actually, I'm very OCD and want everything perfect, so I'll end up making more of a pain in the butt that it has to be. That's the real reason I haven't don it.  :duh:

And for the record, I only have (9) 15" drivers and (2) 10" drivers in my room.  :P :wink:

Bob

Nine...! Don't you need 10 for proper symmetry .......:)

jimdgoulding

« Reply #84 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:28 am »
Bob-  I see your Hawthornes in your gallery, but what are those puppies in your video?  Hawthornes, too?  Ooo, I like them better!

And, Mike.  How did those Vapors stack up in your opinion?  Compare them for me, please.  Looked like in your first video that you decorated with them in mind.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #85 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:33 am »
a.wayne, Yea....being the OCD person I am, an even number of drivers seems ideal.
But since there's a center channel, that tends to mess up the even numbers.  :wink:

Jim, Not sure what's in my gallery (it's been awhile since I've looked at my gallery  :oops: ).
But what you're seeing in my lst two videos are all 15" and 10" (10" = rear surround) Hawthorne Audio drivers.
The baffles they're installed in are all DIY.

Bob

jimdgoulding

« Reply #86 on: 21 Mar 2013, 03:35 am »
Nice work.  Open on the back is something I'd like to hear with dynamic drivers.  Efficient, too, right?

neekomax

« Reply #87 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:20 am »
Well, Bob, I can't seem to watch your latest vid on my iPad (laying in bed now), I don't know why certain videos show up as 'unavailable on this platform', seems weird. Anyway, like I said before, I thought your first one looked and sounded fantastic.

Mike, cool stuff once again. I like your DIY speakers with the horn loaded tweeters. Couple questions, what's white vinyl exactly, and what's the story with this DSD I keep hearing about?

JackD201

« Reply #88 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:07 am »
Agreed. But I still like Jacks room. Would like to see more, and know more.
That bar is pretty neat. Lights shining though wood veneer? That's cool.

Ok....Here's another one. This time without the video projection, all the room lighting turned on and the turntable spinning. 100% analog, no digital.
I'd love to hear thoughts on sound quality.

Equipment is listed under the YouTube "show more" button.
(Unfortunately, I've yet to watch the video, since I'm still waiting for the upload to finish, but they've given me a link....:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMioJXplO4o&feature=youtu.be

Bob

The bar is made from a single slab of Onyx and backlit with T5s :)

More detail into what went into the room's construction here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1740-JackD201-Almost-Done

planecrazy

« Reply #89 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:56 am »
Here is video of my system. Captured on iPhone - doesn't do justice to the music.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=606625626018882&l=2676724623139971341

neekomax

« Reply #90 on: 21 Mar 2013, 11:59 am »
Here is video of my system. Captured on iPhone - doesn't do justice to the music.

Nice one! Peachtree Audio in the house!

mgalusha

« Reply #91 on: 21 Mar 2013, 12:01 pm »
Mike, cool stuff once again. I like your DIY speakers with the horn loaded tweeters. Couple questions, what's white vinyl exactly, and what's the story with this DSD I keep hearing about?

White vinyl is just that, simply vinyl without the carbon black. That was a special pressing I found while on vacation one year. I wasn't even looking for anything different to play last night, I just happened to spot the cover of Joe's Garage in the rack and pulled it simply because I wanted to hear it, had forgotten it was not a plain black record but had not forgotten just how much I like that album.  8)

As for DSD, wander over to the HiRez circle and the discless circle, lots of info. The short version is that is the audio format used on SACD's and there are now quite a few DAC's on the market that support it, sources to purchase from and a clever fellow figured out a way to use an ancient PS3 to extract the data from SACD's you own. The track I was playing was from the Opus3 records DSD showcase 2.

Very nice, I like the piano black on the Emerald Physics.  :thumb:

mike

WireNut

« Reply #92 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:20 pm »
Who's playing in the back ground in this guys audio setup?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzZfoPsbjfI

rooze

« Reply #93 on: 21 Mar 2013, 04:25 pm »

Nice. What's your take on the Emerald Physics? They're on my consideration list as a replacement for an aging pair of Carver Amazing, but chances of an audition are pretty slim here in snow-bound Northern WI  :o

Rooze

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #94 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:05 pm »
Nice work.  Open on the back is something I'd like to hear with dynamic drivers.  Efficient, too, right?
Thank you. Yea, the open baffle is a neat sound. Very clean and clear without "the box sound". The Sterling Silvr Iris drivers are 97dB.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #95 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:06 pm »
Who's playing in the back ground in this guys audio setup?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzZfoPsbjfI
The sound quality is fantastic for a YouTube recording. Well done!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 21 Mar 2013, 05:12 pm »
The bar is made from a single slab of Onyx and backlit with T5s :)

More detail into what went into the room's construction here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1740-JackD201-Almost-Done
Amazing room Jack, just amazing. I've not made it though that massive thread of yours, but I'll get there.  :lol:
Seeing your room and the build pictures is giving me "the bug" to get out a sledge hammer and re-do my room. You've raised the bar, that's for sure.  :thumb:

Bob
p.s. By the way, I like my prime rib 'medium' as well.  :wink:

TJHUB

« Reply #97 on: 21 Mar 2013, 07:48 pm »
I've really enjoyed this thread, so I figured it was time to include myself.  I've never uploaded to YouTube before, and I took the easy way out and used my Android phone for the video.  Sorry for the poor quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwW6monmD0s

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #98 on: 21 Mar 2013, 08:00 pm »
That's a very cool room Terry, love it! The windows with that view are pretty neat too.   :thumb:

Bob

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #99 on: 21 Mar 2013, 09:06 pm »
Very cool.......I like the (I assume they are) treatments behind the sofa......

Oh and your system is kinda nice as well....... :green: