Just can't beat the heat

Charles Xavier

Re: Just can't beat the heat
« Reply #80 on: 4 Jul 2012, 05:55 pm »
The fire has been lit on the grill.

Got some St. Louis style ribs with my favorite dry rub. Five ears of corn wrapped in aluminum foil. A few Brats. Tina is making the sides. I'll be doing a loaf of sourdough on the grill as well. So far, two beers down, and first glass of wine has been poured.

My son is in his room playing video games, wife and daughter are sunbathing and I'm hiding in the shade and air conditioning listening to Nino Josele. Of course my son and I are trying to see who can fill the house with the most sound and vibration. The gunfire from his room, or the Flaminco stomping from Nino on my system.

I think I'm winning.  8)

My biggest worry in life right now is pacing myself so I don't have a hangover for work tomorrow.

Life is good.

Bob  8)

What's your favorite dry rub ?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #81 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:02 pm »
So far, (because it's a never-ending search) it's made by; > Blues Hog <

Although the link to the dry rub page is broken, here's a photo from the internet.
Note: I am not a fan of BBQ sauces, theirs included, but their dry rub is awesome.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #82 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:08 pm »
The fire has been lit on the grill.

Got some St. Louis style ribs with my favorite dry rub. Five ears of corn wrapped in aluminum foil. A few Brats. Tina is making the sides. I'll be doing a loaf of sourdough on the grill as well. So far, two beers down, and first glass of wine has been poured.

My son is in his room playing video games, wife and daughter are sunbathing and I'm hiding in the shade and air conditioning listening to Nino Josele. Of course my son and I are trying to see who can fill the house with the most sound and vibration. The gunfire from his room, or the Flaminco stomping from Nino on my system.

I think I'm winning.  8)

My biggest worry in life right now is pacing myself so I don't have a hangover for work tomorrow.

Life is good.

Bob  8)

ROAD TRIP!!!!!! :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #83 on: 4 Jul 2012, 06:14 pm »
Come on over. Anyone game?
A customer gave me a bottle of Cali Cab Sauv called "Camelot".

Combined with the smell of Mesquite wood on the grill, it's tasting too good.
I think tomorrow morning is going to be rough.  :?

Robert Cray is spinning.  8)

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #84 on: 4 Jul 2012, 07:05 pm »

What's your favorite dry rub ?
Ok Charles, I showed you mine. Now show me yours.  :wink:

Since I'm smoking ribs and it takes a few hours, I like to throw a few things on the grill to see what happens.
Here, I've got a couple 6" flour tortillas with pasta sauce. The topping are fresh cut Cilantro, onions, green onions, and some sliced pepperoni, with mozzarella.

I found a bag of corn tortilla chips that contained a few chips and a bunch of crumbs. I topped those with mozzarella and pepperonis. The piles of crumbs in the bottom of the bag makes a nice pile topped with Pepperoncinni peppers, pepperoni and mozzarella.

"On deck" are the ribs and ears of corn for later..........

The family likes when I play with food.  8)

Tieney Sutton is singing "Something Cool" to me. Sweet.

Bob

gooberdude

« Reply #85 on: 4 Jul 2012, 08:01 pm »
I'll be over in 20 minutes!!!!   Dayum!

Your effort has convinced me to get off my keester & brine a whole heritage hen.  Gonna do the beercan method on my neighbors grill & brave the heat for a while.

I have half a dozen old bags of tortilla chips full of crumbs if you need more to experiment with   :green:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #86 on: 4 Jul 2012, 08:34 pm »
Food is almost finished. Tina is wrapping up her end of the deal.  :wink:

alana106

« Reply #87 on: 4 Jul 2012, 09:49 pm »
Bob,
   That grill full of fixens really looks great.   :drool:  Is the Blues Hog rub available locally?  Are do you order it on line.

Alan

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:25 pm »
Hey Alan.  :D
I bought it at Price Chopper, or Schnucks...one or the other. I think Price Chopper.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #89 on: 5 Jul 2012, 11:27 am »
Ok Charles, I showed you mine. Now show me yours.  :wink:

I don't have a favorite, that's why I asked . I just make one from a recipe on the Web.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #90 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:46 pm »
Oh gotcha, that makes sense.
I've got a nice blackened fish rub I found online, but for some reason I never thought about finding a rib rub recipe online.  :duh:
Good idea Charles.  :D

Bob

ptmconsulting

« Reply #91 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:54 pm »
In experimenting with rub recipes I've found that I use far less brown sugar than the recipe books recommend, and I've also cut back on the black pepper, instead using a combo of black pepper, paprika and chili powder. This gives me 3 different kinds of peppers which blend nicely on the tongue. Add some kosher salt, some ground mustard seed, some oregano, garlic and onion powder and I get a really nice tasting, not overly spicy or overly sweet tasting rub.

Worked wonderfully on both my last brisket and pork loin with an apple juice swab every hour and a smoking time of 8-10 hrs at 225.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #92 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:54 pm »
Oh gotcha, that makes sense.
I've got a nice blackened fish rub I found online, but for some reason I never thought about finding a rib rub recipe online.  :duh:
Good idea Charles.  :D

Bob

I ordered 2 jars to try :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 5 Jul 2012, 04:12 pm »
ptm - That sounds like a good recipe, I wouldn't have thought about putting brown sugar in a rib rub. However, I have put a BUNCH of brown sugar on a hamburger when I grill it. That makes a nice, sweet, crispy crust. But for ribs, I like my ribs juicy due to the meat, not sugar. Although, I do put EVOO on mine before I rub them.

Charles - Wonderful!!  :thumb:
I'd love to hear your impressions when you get a chance to try it.  :D

Bob

Here's some more inspiration ribspiration for you:  :wink:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #94 on: 6 Jul 2012, 03:48 pm »
The heat claims another victim...............our A/C went out last night.  :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #95 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:11 pm »
UHGGG!!!  :roll:
My prayers are with you on that one dude.
What kind of wait time are the HVAC guys giving?

mark funk

« Reply #96 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:27 pm »
Man this is hard! West of Chicago, No power for three days, this well be the forth day over 100 and the DEW POINT is 74!

:thumbdown:
                                                                                         :smoke:

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #97 on: 6 Jul 2012, 10:12 pm »
A HUGE shout out to Scott-Lee Heating and Cooling. Bad capacitor +10 minutes and voila! Cold air!! :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #98 on: 6 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm »
I've been handling all the after hours emergency calls for our small real estate firm the last 3 weeks straight.  Totally feel for anyone who's been without AC during all this.

last night at midnight I got a call from our service, then forwarded the specifics to a local hvac firms' emer service. This morning i got up early as my cell was ringing.  I had missed 8 calls from midnight to 6am, all from the same person!  i called them back at 6:30 am, and they were super pissed that nobody had been out.

Try explaining to someone that HVAC firms don't work 24/7.  It ain't easy!!

7/4/12 was the hottest day on record, ever, for Chicago.  Sounds like today might've taken it up a notch.  Just sucks.

A staff member said she read a news blurb that today StL matched a record set way back when the Dust Bowl began, for # of days over 100+ degree's.  Lets pray for rain this weekend!!!  (No Floods please)

Mitsuman, did you spring for the Mundorf Silvers or what???    :lol:

And what is up with the internet today?  I can get online but none of our e-mails work, the website is down, etc.  There's a major hub/switch that went out on AT&T's end, its connected to half a million people here according to our IT dept.   i so want to blame Charter for this, but can't. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #99 on: 6 Jul 2012, 11:04 pm »
A HUGE shout out to Scott-Lee Heating and Cooling. Bad capacitor +10 minutes and voila! Cold air!! :thumb:

Have you no shame? You're an audiophile and should have figured that out right away!   :duh:  Did they install an audiophile-grade cap of a higher value for better headroom, slam, and PRAT when it kicks on?  Is you condenser dual mono?   :nono: