Just can't beat the heat

gooberdude

Re: Just can't beat the heat
« Reply #20 on: 1 Jul 2012, 02:40 pm »
I figure that he's combining a variety of degree's & education accumulated throughout the years, Meteorological & wood/veneer finishing, to come up with a new look called 'Sun Burst'.  Plus he could sell the technique to Gibson guitars once perfected.   

I've been outside already this morning, my guess is that perfection will occur by about 2pm today   :lol:

Stay cool everybody.   Grass aint the only thing gettin' browner today. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #21 on: 1 Jul 2012, 02:47 pm »
Come to think of it, Lake of Egypt resembles that water clarity.  I just can't think of too many places on that lake that have a concrete bottom.

Looks like he's "hoggin'" the boat ramp......Hogtanic, perhaps?

bside123

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jul 2012, 03:09 pm »

Sho'nuff... it's been so hot down here that you could take to solar cooking.  :o

BTW, I want to make one thing perfectly clear. That was NOT a photo of me in the "lake."  :nono:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2012, 03:40 pm »
Wow Bill, there's no photo trickey there, right?
You really put a cast iron pan out there and fried an egg?  :o

Scott F.

« Reply #24 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:24 pm »
Last night, Laura put the bread for dinner outside in the sun to warm it up. It was warm enough to melt butter. she did the same thing this morning with biscuits. Just put them in a clear covered pot/pan/enclosure and let the solar rays do their job :thumb:

typical solar cooker

BPoletti

« Reply #25 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:31 pm »
Wow Bill, there's no photo trickey there, right?
You really put a cast iron pan out there and fried an egg?  :o

It's Din, but no reason to doubt him.

BPoletti

« Reply #26 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:32 pm »
Doesn't all this heat cause global warming?    :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #27 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:37 pm »

It's Din, but no reason to doubt him.
Duh....I was thinking of you while reading his post.  :duh:

I don't know the man, but certainly didn't mean to question his integrity.

I'll just sit here in my nice cool basement and listen to music loud enough to dim the lights in the rest of the house.  :thumb:

Bob

BPoletti

« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2012, 04:59 pm »
Din is one of the good guys. 

Did you actually intend to question my integrity?     :lol:   

bside123

« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm »
Duh....I was thinking of you while reading his post.  :duh:

I don't know the man, but certainly didn't mean to question his integrity.

I'll just sit here in my nice cool basement and listen to music loud enough to dim the lights in the rest of the house.  :thumb:

Bob

It's cool (pun intended) Brad...  :icon_lol: and my names not "Bill," it's actually Din, and yes, there's every good reason to question my integrity, or as a result of the internet, everyone else's as well.

Here's the story... I go outside in the direct hot sun and think, "Holy Cow! It's hot enough to fry an egg out here."

I go back in the house, jump on the internet and google "hot enough to fry an egg," click on "images," and voila, fried egg!

So: 1) Yes, it's true. No photo trickery; 2) Yes, it's hot enough to fry an egg; 3) Yes, my name is really Din; 4) Yes, your name is Bob; 5) Yes, there was a wee, little bit of trickery, and 6) No, I didn't take the photo.

But I certainly could, and thus being said... I do have a cast iron skilled, and this weekend it's still hotter than blue blazes, and I am going to actually try the said experiment, and I will take pictures and post them!

How's that for a rant!?  :thumb:

Din

bside123

« Reply #30 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:09 pm »
Last night, Laura put the bread for dinner outside in the sun to warm it up. It was warm enough to melt butter. she did the same thing this morning with biscuits. Just put them in a clear covered pot/pan/enclosure and let the solar rays do their job :thumb:

typical solar cooker

BTW, we have solar cookers at our farm... they work, but they're slow, however renewable & sustainable, and that's true! The bigger the solar reflector and the more efficient the enclosure, the hotter the oven gets.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:12 pm »
Din is one of the good guys. 

Did you actually intend to question my integrity?     :lol:
Good to know about Din being one of the good ones. Seems that's something we (apparently) need to be keeping track of now-a-days.  :roll:
But anyway....

Din, Thanks for the (well deserved) rant Sir. Understood.  :thumb:

I'm thuinking anbout taking one of my cast irons outside, but since you're doing it, I won't bother.
Plus, it's too hot out there to be fiddling 'round. I'm too busy spinning tunes and sipping beverages.
The family is gone and I'm taking full advantage of it.

At my last house I built a heater for my pool that looks like the unit Scott's got there.
Just a wee bit longer (ok, it was 20' longer).

Bob

BPoletti

« Reply #32 on: 1 Jul 2012, 05:37 pm »

Bob

It's just too hot to do much else. 

bside123

« Reply #33 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:34 pm »
Alright Gentlemen...

The "Holy Cow! It's Hot Enough To Fry An Egg" Experiment is currently being "professionally" prepared. The cast-iron skillet is preheating as I type. I will allow it to preheat for one hour and then proceed. Standby for live action and a fully disclosed report with accompanying photographs. This heat must really be gettin' to me head!  :duh:

The Skillet

The Time (yes, that's sweat on my arm)

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #34 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:38 pm »
It won't work.  :wink:

bside123

« Reply #35 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:41 pm »
It won't work.  :wink:

Geez! So negative... ? :( Where your faith in common physics and ridiculous sportsmanship? Bsides (pun) do we really even want it to work? As, that would prove how damn hot it is...

BPoletti

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:49 pm »
It's so hot fire is looking for shade.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #37 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:50 pm »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You Sir, are awesome.

BPoletti

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jul 2012, 06:54 pm »
Geez! So negative... ? :( Where your faith in common physics and ridiculous sportsmanship? Bsides (pun) do we really even want it to work? As, that would prove how damn hot it is...

I think the white will turn quickly if the skillet pre-heats.  Don't forget a little cooking oil.  That will make the skillet even darker to absorb more energy.  I'd bet the egg will cook well enough to eat. 

Not quite hot enough to toast whole wheat bread.   :) 

Scott F.

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jul 2012, 07:04 pm »
If you cover the pan with some clear plexi or glass, it should cook quicker and more evenly.