What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??

medium jim

Re: What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:19 am »
Well, one could always pay big $$$'s for "high-end" fuses---
don

We have a winner!

Jim

medium jim

« Reply #101 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:25 am »
I know Fred answered but I'm gonna help him out anyway. The reason the Schiit isn't the most over hyped product here is because it holds second place to the NCore amps. :peek:

Yet another winner!!!

Jim

JohnR

« Reply #102 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:27 am »
Audiophile circuit-board standoffs.

a.wayne

« Reply #103 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:42 pm »
Bose is the biggest rip off in audio. It's all market suck in. They are even worse then those high priced cables. At least you get cables. With Bose all it is a glorified clock radio of some sort usually. With little tiny rip off speakers attached to it and a whole lot of Bose marketing.

Agree there's a whole lot of marketing , but a rip off ! Bose is a lot more than Marketing little speakers , there's home , pro , auto ..

What Bose has done is create their  own identity via branding and very successfully , I might add . Their home stuff is not hi-FI as described by most here ,  that doesn't  make them a rip off ..

Difficult to fault their success , sound ....?

Too subjective , one man's euphoria is another's anathema at all levels ....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #104 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:06 pm »
What's wrong with Bose ...?  Ripoff ? Bose has never portrayed themselves as nothing more than being Bose ..

Well, H. L. Mencken did say "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public"

If that ain't Bose I dunno who is.  But at least Bose doesn't run around forcing bogus legal actions against everyone with a similar name.  I am surprised "Monster Drinks" and "Monster trucks" haven't been served with papers. 

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #105 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:36 pm »
Bose isn't high end.  Mid-Fi through and through.

The only rip-off in high end audio is anything that doesn't do for you, what it's supposed to.  That could be virtually anything from a top name component to some magic voodoo BS you just wanted to try.  If you're buying new, just take it on approval. If you're buying used, just resell.   :thumb:

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #106 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:10 pm »
DBT is such an improbable road.  First, gettin the gear together in an acoustically friendly space, a space that all could relate to as hifi condusive even if it doesn't replicate theirs, spending enough time in the sweet spot with music you are familiar with, associated gear that would resemble yours at home, be acceptable to all listeners with whatever equipment, and I'm sure there are some other things I am omitting.  Then, most would reject the findings anyway if they weren't convinced of the writer/reviewers. 

In The Audio Voice, a small audio mag managed by the fellow that used to manage and publish AUDIO magazine, Gene Pitts, with two somewhat well known reviewers did a DBT with three amps . . a Levinson, an Acoustic Research, and a Beringer.  I'd bet five bucks that eight out of ten of you having read it would immediately put it in the trash.  We are so convinced that cost equals best is why.  The Beringer wasn't best, mind you, just too close not to be considered.

Is this double blind testing?  Take it with a grain of salt. Those conducting the test can make it come out any way they want.  Careful selection of associated components will assure that.  Some would argue that their comparator goes a long way toward that end.  Someone with a good speaker system and preamp, would probably hear significant differences at home.  Not all differences are imagination. Sometimes it's night and day.

a.wayne

« Reply #107 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:48 pm »
When I take off my glasses that's SBT , close my eyes DBT, closed eyes with alcohol , DBT under the influence ... :)

DBT 's are irrelevant outside of research , you buy what moves you , if I like it who cares ...!

I may not like the choices , but I have learnt to respect what others like ...

chgolatin2

« Reply #108 on: 28 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm »
I do believe that cables are highly overrated, also the "Suppose high end audio equipment"  You don't need to overspend on audio in order to get a GOOD QUALITY sound.  If you know how to marry your component right you can obtain a good sounding audio equipment.  But "some" people want bragging rights and status.  "Look at me, I have the biggest, most expensive audio equipment I'm the best etc, etc" 

Those people don't impress me and I actually call those "invididuals" idiots.  I purchase some of my equipment "Pre owned" such as my speakers.  Meanwhile other components I shop and shopped around for it, at the end of the day my audio system blows my brothers high end audio away and he spent over 30k on it and I spent under 5k  :scratch: go figure! 

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #109 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:45 am »
I do believe that cables are highly overrated, also the "Suppose high end audio equipment"  You don't need to overspend on audio in order to get a GOOD QUALITY sound.  If you know how to marry your component right you can obtain a good sounding audio equipment.  But "some" people want bragging rights and status.  "Look at me, I have the biggest, most expensive audio equipment I'm the best etc, etc" 

Those people don't impress me and I actually call those "invididuals" idiots.  I purchase some of my equipment "Pre owned" such as my speakers.  Meanwhile other components I shop and shopped around for it, at the end of the day my audio system blows my brothers high end audio away and he spent over 30k on it and I spent under 5k  :scratch: go figure!

FWIW an observation - Ever notice that guys who don't own the real top-shelf stuff feel free to lob epithets like "idiot" at the guys who do but it's a lot more rare to see a guy with a mega-buck system really cut loose in a thread on a guy with a lower-cost system in an attempt to belittle them ( at least within the gentle confines of AC )?

What's up with that? So if your front-end is a Puccini and you say something goofy about folks doin' just fine with Oppos you're a d-bag but if your front-end is an Oppo and you say something goofy about a guy with a Puccini you're Che Guevera? Fight the power, dude...

Remember that outside the hot-house environment of sites like this, the populace at large thinks we're ALL idiots as they plug their buds into their iPod's and walk away shaking their heads...

D.D.

TONEPUB

« Reply #110 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:00 am »
Pretty good observation..

I've got a dCS Paganini in my reference system and an OPPO in my living room system.  They both work well in the systems they are placed. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #111 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:02 am »
I have many acquaintances who think my system is nuts, until they hear it.  They may not agree about the hobby, but at least they hear and appreciate WHY it's my hobby.    I know a local guy who has a massive cabinet filled with everything imaginable in upper-end midfi.  Sounds like the world's biggest AM radio, yet he's so proud of it.   :duh:  But it looks impressive and that's enough for him.

And let's not pick on the mega-buck system owners.  Most of us unwashed masses are content to wait for them to tire of a piece of gear so we can pick it up for pennies on the dollar.  I suppose that's a kind of "trickle-down" economics that we audionuts can really appreciate.   :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #112 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:42 am »

Remember that outside the hot-house environment of sites like this, the populace at large thinks we're ALL idiots as they plug their buds into their iPod's and walk away shaking their heads...

D.D.

Exactly. Which is why the divisiveness that pervades this hobby of .0001% of the population is unnecessary and counterproductive to the extreme. Cable bogeyman got you scared? Want to get everybody to see the light about (rant here)? Too bad. Statistically speaking, no one cares. Meanwhile smartphones are becoming the new boomboxes, squee!!!

Boggles the mind.

soundbitten1

« Reply #113 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:53 am »
One person's idea of a rip-off is another's well spent dollars.   :wink:

TONEPUB

« Reply #114 on: 29 Jun 2012, 03:04 am »
Agree on the used stuff.  It's just like cars.  That new 80k Porsche that I can't afford today is going to be selling for about $20k in five years, and chances are good it's going to be like brand new still.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #115 on: 29 Jun 2012, 03:16 am »
Well said by everyone on this page (so far).  One of the great things about AC is that most of the members are convinced about one thing above all, they're not going to convince someone else by intellectual bullying. 

This circle is a testament that you don't have to spend large sums to get good sound.  In fact it's been pretty hard to find a "rip-off" that meets C&C guidelines, almost everything mentioned as one has been over the allowed prices.  Bose was mentioned, JohnR's audiophile standoffs, audiophile fuses, all could fit somewhere in under $1000 systems.  Badly recorded music and Hi Rez files got a mention.  I might say cheapo USB turntables, but even they have some value, maybe even what you pay for them.  Anyone think of any other cheap stuff that was a ripoff?

Crimson

« Reply #116 on: 29 Jun 2012, 03:37 am »
It's all good.  :P

Audio is but one of many hobbies in the realm of 'you paid what for that??'. I'm a gear-head as well (cars, for the uninformed :thumb:), and like my Titos straight on the rocks.

LALL, I say.

bearuk

« Reply #117 on: 29 Jun 2012, 03:47 am »
Without doubt (surely!) the biggest rip-off in high end audio must be anything sold by machinadynamica.com

The Super Intelligent Chip - quantum material that makes your CDs sound better.
The Clever Little Clock - I shall remain silent
Brilliant Pebbles - they look kind of interesting I suppose
And now, to the winner

The Teleportation Tweak...

yo2tup

« Reply #118 on: 29 Jun 2012, 04:34 am »
$2000 ABX Box

:green: :green: :green:

Rclark

« Reply #119 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:25 am »
Hey Diamond Dog, nobody ever said wealth and intelligence had a 1:1 correlation  :icon_lol: