What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??

rbbert

Re: What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« Reply #700 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:33 am »
You can be ripped off and not know it. That's how the "snake oil" concept works.
Not quite; with snake oil you find out after the purchase is final and irreversible that what you got isn't quite what you expect.  OTOH if you're happy with your purchase and the price you paid, you aren't being "ripped off".

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #701 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:03 am »
rbbert, honey, take a deep breath. The fact that you remain unaware about having been had does not alter the fact. The falling tree does make a sound even if you remain unaware that it fell. Ignorance may be bliss. But OTOH, being too drunk to feel the bullet does not keep you from dying.

Frankly, you come off like an EST patient. Just look at those grey skies and call them blue and everything will be way groovy.

This is one of the reasons I despise the audio reviewer scam. They blow the smoke up your skirt and the vendors bask in their well oiled results. It's your money, though.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #702 on: 2 Apr 2014, 02:30 am »

Here's the real deal, actual, verified, honest to goodness, snake oil.  $31.80 + $1.35 shipping.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/snake-oil/235873793.html?listingId=331519153&scid=pla_google_SynergyDataInc&adid=17260&gclid=CIj0y8HewL0CFRQV7AodvA8AlQ

Or this one, $8.00 per quart or $30.95 per gallon.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/plumbing/plumbing-tools/pipe-cleaning-accessories/general-quart-of-snake-oil?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CIKE0sDfwL0CFSho7AodaksAEg

Or my favorite, Aceite de Culebras, $1.40 per ounce.

http://www.pharmapacks.com/products.php?product=EKO-Snake-Oil-1-oz&gclid=CNOgtIzgwL0CFUYV7AodbVAAaQ#.Uzt1vqiDmSo

I'll be testing all of these in my system and reporting back soon, or not, on the immense sound quality improvements I'm expecting.

rbbert

« Reply #703 on: 2 Apr 2014, 04:22 am »
rbbert, honey, take a deep breath. The fact that you remain unaware about having been had does not alter the fact. The falling tree does make a sound even if you remain unaware that it fell. Ignorance may be bliss. But OTOH, being too drunk to feel the bullet does not keep you from dying.

Frankly, you come off like an EST patient. Just look at those grey skies and call them blue and everything will be way groovy.

This is one of the reasons I despise the audio reviewer scam. They blow the smoke up your skirt and the vendors bask in their well oiled results. It's your money, though.

I'm glad I don't share your world view...

FWIW, most who know me would refer to me as skeptical and cynical regarding most things, and evidence-based in the scientific arena.

For instance, look at the BSG qol processor.  It's clearly "snake-oil"; its effects can be reproduced by some fairly inexpensive DSP programs in a computer-based music server.  Yet many people love it and wouldn't listen without it; is it a rip-off?

Early B.

« Reply #704 on: 2 Apr 2014, 11:29 am »
For instance, look at the BSG qol processor.  It's clearly "snake-oil"; its effects can be reproduced by some fairly inexpensive DSP programs in a computer-based music server.  Yet many people love it and wouldn't listen without it; is it a rip-off?

Yes, it's a rip-off, by definition, if what you're saying is correct.

"A rip-off is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person is overcharged for something, or receives goods or services not of the standard expected for the price."

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #705 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:13 pm »

dflee

« Reply #706 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:43 pm »
Now that's a deal! Just $1500 worth of Vibradomes improve the speakers on a $700 computer.

reporter

« Reply #707 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:48 pm »
How about a few Shakti Stones guys? Don't you just love 'em!  :lol:

murphy11

« Reply #708 on: 2 Apr 2014, 12:52 pm »
Now that's a deal! Just $1500 worth of Vibradomes improve the speakers on a $700 computer.
What an amazing site - Regarding vibradome heaven - 'Beginners may be satisfied with 4 pieces, but for extreme audiophiles, you want to max out your system with hundreds of VibraDomes' - @$99 each. 'This shipping does NOT come with a tracking number, but is still reliable, it will get there, but slowly.' Sheesh.

http://www.coconut-audio.com/fan/customer/cheez/MegalodonSATA/P1000463.JPG  Looks like the fatty in Cheech and Chong's  'Up in Smoke'

decal

« Reply #709 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:00 pm »
Pricing

1 piece: $99
 4 pieces: $299

Worldwide shipping is included in the price. To keep the costs low, we use First Class Airmail that usually takes 1-3 weeks outside of Europe. Sometimes during holiday seasons it has taken up to 5 weeks.
 This shipping does NOT come with a tracking number, but is still reliable, it will get there, but slowly.

Note: Some people can't hear a difference from only 1 piece, but from 4 pieces they can.

Nuff said !!!!!!

rbbert

« Reply #710 on: 2 Apr 2014, 01:39 pm »
Yes, it's a rip-off, by definition, if what you're saying is correct.

"A rip-off is a bad financial transaction. Usually it refers to an incident in which a person is overcharged for something, or receives goods or services not of the standard expected for the price."

But here's the thing; the people who like this product and are happy with probably don't want to get into computer audio, they just want stereo "components", and this product is the only only currently available to do that.  So the listener/purchaser gets what he wants and is happy with it, and in his mind there is no viable alternative.

Music listening and audio, like so many pleasurable things, is a subjective experience, and money spent in pursuit of that may not be fairly judged by the same objective valuations involved in building a military airplane (as an example).  So while an April Fools joke like the coconut audio page linked above may be snake oil by almost any definition, in audio (and most pleasurable pursuits) there is a huge grey area where one man's "snake oil" may be another's nirvana.

steve in jersey

« Reply #711 on: 2 Apr 2014, 03:04 pm »
More snake oil products-

http://www.coconut-audio.com/vibradome.html
[/quote

I believe those may be mini "pods" from "invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Ya know, somedays I wish I could  "clone" my laptop for a new one w/ more memory & a faster processor,newer OS,internal SSD etc....

Once again I'll repeat what I said the last time I saw this thread

1) no one is physicallly knocking on your door & twisting your arm to buy these things
2) if you  think in terms of "Ripoff" you probably had some doubts about it being worth the cost
3) most of us don't blink an eye at all the daily minor "Ripoffs" we chalk up to the "cost of living"
    why not just target what you spent as a "cost of learning" expense