What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« Reply #80 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:27 pm »
Unfortunately I have to read the whole thread, its my assignment to do so.  Hopefully we'll now have the DBT wars out of our system.  I like debating DBT, but as you pointed out it's off topic on this thread.

I also like debating FredG.  Please Fred, list the reasons why the Bifrost wasn't the most overly hyped product around hear lately.  (I of course take full responsibility for my part in that) 

Did you read the whole thread?  Didn't think so - just for clarification - DBT is a methodology not a product  :duh:

:lol: just frickin with ya

fredgarvin

« Reply #81 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:02 pm »
What can I say, I can't resist a man in uniform.

For the win!   :lol:

JohnR

« Reply #82 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:03 pm »
the Bifrost

Did anyone ever buy any of that Schitt?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :lol:   :shake: )

fredgarvin

« Reply #83 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:07 pm »
Unfortunately I have to read the whole thread, its my assignment to do so.  Hopefully we'll now have the DBT wars out of our system.  I like debating DBT, but as you pointed out it's off topic on this thread.

I also like debating FredG.  Please Fred, list the reasons why the Bifrost wasn't the most overly hyped product around hear lately.  (I of course take full responsibility for my part in that)

I do commiserate with you about that whole deal, I know you put a lot of effort into it. But I don't think we should consider them overhyped in the sense that they don't have a good product. Which you probably didn't mean.  :green:

srb

« Reply #84 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:49 pm »
There is a big difference between products that are hyped (almost every one is, either by the manufacturer, owners or bystanders that have never heard it) and those that are labeled a "rip-off".

Even though the intent of the topic was to identify component categories and not specific brands, for some reason the Schiit brand is being discussed by both moderators and members in a "rip-off" topic.  While it may or may not be a better value than any other DAC in its price range, by all actual owner accounts it is a viable choice among the competition and it's made in USA.  It has design, parts and labor content that can justify its $350 - $450 price.  Like most components, some prefer it over the competition and some don't.

Back to the [misguided] topic, as far as the comment that $20K cables can have a very large labor content, so does the Ford Focus, Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla.

To target a component segment that has the greatest number of "rip-off" products than any other, the obvious choice would have to be cables.  But at least half of us are smart enough to not let ourselves get ripped off by unrealistic pricing.

Steve

ServerAdmin

« Reply #85 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:58 pm »
Oh, who cares where it's made? Really. Fact is, they didn't do what they said they were going to do. So what, it's not the end of the world. All that was said by "the moderator" (why do people feel it's OK to take shots if you say "someone" or "the moderator" instead of saying a name?) was that's it's been over-hyped. Which is true. Nobody said any of the products are a rip-off.

Rip-offs are more about individuals than products anyway.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #86 on: 27 Jun 2012, 11:30 pm »
Rip-offs are more about individuals than products anyway.

As are these type of threads...

D.D.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #87 on: 28 Jun 2012, 12:56 am »

I know Fred answered but I'm gonna help him out anyway. The reason the Schiit isn't the most over hyped product here is because it holds second place to the NCore amps. :peek:

Freo-1

« Reply #88 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:03 am »
I know Fred answered but I'm gonna help him out anyway. The reason the Schiit isn't the most over hyped product here is because it holds second place to the NCore amps. :peek:

Hard to argue that one   :lol:

There seems to be a lot of pre-ordained conclusions with that product.  ;)

Rclark

« Reply #89 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:13 am »
Lots and lots of regular old ordained ones too  :green:

nomeans

« Reply #90 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:20 am »
I understand why these threads get binned, but they are soooo funny. :lol:

milford3

« Reply #91 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:20 am »
Biggest rip-off in audio???   BOSE!  BOSE! BOSE! 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #92 on: 28 Jun 2012, 01:52 am »
Biggest rip-off in audio???   BOSE!  BOSE! BOSE!

It took five pages for someone to say that???    :duh: :duh: :duh:

Geez, we must be getting old!    :lol:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #93 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:07 am »

Bose is audio?

D.D.

milford3

« Reply #94 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:11 am »
Bose thinks they are high end.  Buyers think they are high end.  Hence, how do audiophiles get the word out?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #95 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:23 am »
Not so much a bad product, but it was suppose to be the next coming and turned out to be just ok.  I was really intending to bring in all DACs in that some are great deals like Grant Fidelity and Audio GD, for example, and others not so much.  But to be truthful, I have a bias against "that" company and do tend to use my bully pulpit when the opportunity presents.   Hey,  I'm human.

I thought it interesting srb's comparison cars and cables of the same price.  Doesn't seem to be anywhere near the complexity or parts and labor costs, so why the similar pricing.  Mentioning again C&C cables are still good values.

So far everyone has been minding their manners, so despite my misgivings we can still continue without binning.

I do commiserate with you about that whole deal, I know you put a lot of effort into it. But I don't think we should consider them overhyped in the sense that they don't have a good product. Which you probably didn't mean.  :green:

OzarkTom

« Reply #96 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:16 am »
And Mr. Bose is laughing all the way to the bank. :lol:

a.wayne

« Reply #97 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:33 am »
What's wrong with Bose ...?  Ripoff ? Bose has never portrayed themselves as nothing more than being Bose ..

milford3

« Reply #98 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:53 am »
Bose?  Build?  Sound?  Need I add more.  Buyer be aware.

werd

« Reply #99 on: 28 Jun 2012, 04:03 am »
Bose is the biggest rip off in audio. It's all market suck in. They are even worse then those high priced cables. At least you get cables. With Bose all it is a glorified clock radio of some sort usually. With little tiny rip off speakers attached to it and a whole lot of Bose marketing.