What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??

rodge827

Re: What's the biggest rip-off in high end audio??
« Reply #60 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:23 am »
Something tells me she would have a good case for her pain and suffering!   :lol:

Thank goodness you can't get anything for pain and suffering in NJ...then again she was married to me  :green:

She got enough :x College education, the dog, most of the furniture, and some cash....Damnit wheres the scotch  :cuss:

I get to listen to music without any bitchin' :dance: :dance: :dance:

bhakti

« Reply #61 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:27 am »
Cart before the horse is what I'm sayin'. People are quick to scream do a DBT but any DBT that's going to hold up to serious - and I mean serious - scrutiny is going to require time, resources and money just like any other real-world scientific endeavor. I would love to be part of a DBT, but who's payin... that's why DBT talk when it comes to audio is just talk instead of a call to action (how about pooling together to fund a project? cricket, cricket...), just goes round and round and round.

Well said!  Nobody doubts the validity, but the isolation of all parameters is extremely difficult and prone to serious error.

bhakti

« Reply #62 on: 27 Jun 2012, 02:29 am »
Thank goodness you can't get anything for pain and suffering in NJ...then again she was married to me  :green:

She got enough :x College education, the dog, most of the furniture, and some cash....Damnit wheres the scotch  :cuss:

I get to listen to music without any bitchin' :dance: :dance: :dance:

Fair enough friend!

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #63 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:46 am »
So there we have it, DBT is the most hyped product that yields the least accepted benefits.  And all along I thought it would be a product powered by electricity. 

Everyone's had their say about DBT and no one has been convinced or changed their mind, so we can now consider that topic closed on this thread.  Please continue with other hyped products.

Cheap and Cheerful cables are the product that while hyped, can offer excellent value, the opposite of the high priced spread.

DACs can be way overhyped, re Schiit Bifrost, or terrific bargains spread only by word of mouth.

OzarkTom

« Reply #64 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:53 am »
Krell.

I have never heard a good system powered by Krell components.

wushuliu

« Reply #65 on: 27 Jun 2012, 03:55 am »
So there we have it, DBT is the most hyped product that yields the least accepted benefits.  And all along I thought it would be a product powered by electricity. 

Everyone's had their say about DBT and no one has been convinced or changed their mind, so we can now consider that topic closed on this thread.  Please continue with other hyped products.

Cheap and Cheerful cables are the product that while hyped, can offer excellent value, the opposite of the high priced spread.

DACs can be way overhyped, re Schiit Bifrost, or terrific bargains spread only by word of mouth.

You won't kill this thread, will you. Sadist.

bhakti

« Reply #66 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:03 am »

Did you read the whole thread?  Didn't think so - just for clarification - DBT is a methodology not a product  :duh:

:lol: just frickin with ya

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #67 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:14 am »
I agree with poorly recorded music as #1, but well recorded music might be a close #2.  A Hi Rez download retailing around $25 (markup of 500% to several thousand %), may be one of the main factors in the failure of the medium to reach enough customers to build a stable market.   :evil:

Scott

jimdgoulding

« Reply #68 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:37 am »
DBT is such an improbable road.  First, gettin the gear together in an acoustically friendly space, a space that all could relate to as hifi condusive even if it doesn't replicate theirs, spending enough time in the sweet spot with music you are familiar with, associated gear that would resemble yours at home, be acceptable to all listeners with whatever equipment, and I'm sure there are some other things I am omitting.  Then, most would reject the findings anyway if they weren't convinced of the writer/reviewers. 

In The Audio Voice, a small audio mag managed by the fellow that used to manage and publish AUDIO magazine, Gene Pitts, with two somewhat well known reviewers did a DBT with three amps . . a Levinson, an Acoustic Research, and a Beringer.  I'd bet five bucks that eight out of ten of you having read it would immediately put it in the trash.  We are so convinced that cost equals best is why.  The Beringer wasn't best, mind you, just too close not to be considered. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #69 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:40 am »
'Subject yourself'... that's one way to put it.

Oh and you have no excuse Scott because as well all know DBTs are really easy to setup. I think you can order a kit on ebay (watch out for the fake ones from HK).
You got a hard on for Doc? It's getting weird...

fredgarvin

« Reply #70 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:43 am »

bullsh*t, you can't slag Schiit just because you couldn't close a deal with them.

a.wayne

« Reply #71 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:45 am »
DBT ..?

Ohh  Double Bourbon Twist ...agree always sound better after .. :)

bhakti

« Reply #72 on: 27 Jun 2012, 04:48 am »
bullsh*t, you can't slag Schiit just because you couldn't close a deal with them.

Nice Fred!

Sometimes you betray yourself - all for good!!!

wushuliu

« Reply #73 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:11 am »
You got a hard on for Doc? It's getting weird...

What can I say, I can't resist a man in uniform.

Rclark

« Reply #74 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:13 am »

speaking of good DAC deals, stay tuned for the upcoming Emotiva XDA-2. High hopes.

wushuliu

« Reply #75 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:18 am »
speaking of good DAC deals, stay tuned for the upcoming Emotiva XDA-2. High hopes.

Is there any info available about it yet?

Rclark

« Reply #76 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:22 am »
 Gonna fix all the failings of the first one, which was still a very decent unit that several here have owned and enjoyed, including myself. higher bitrates of course, full USB, an even better dac implementation (unknown as of now), lossless volume control..

supposed to be coming very soon, in production, and the 1 is on permanent $199 special status and out the door. I personally think it's probably going to be a very, very good dac.

wushuliu

« Reply #77 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:25 am »
Gonna fix all the failings of the first one, which was still a very decent unit that several here have owned and enjoyed, including myself. higher bitrates of course, full USB, an even better dac implementation (unknown as of now), lossless volume control..

supposed to be coming very soon, in production, and the 1 is on permanent $199 special status and out the door. I personally think it's probably going to be a very, very good dac.

Good to know. I am ignoring the sale on the first one - with the money I've spent on budget dacs in the past 2 years I could have just gotten a single bad@zz dac.  :duh:

Rclark

« Reply #78 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:30 am »
What I wanna do is get the Emotiva, and then try an Empirical Audio reclocker.  :thumb:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=40.0

making one bad azz dac

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #79 on: 27 Jun 2012, 05:43 am »
Rip off....don't know.... :scratch:

.....but in a few systems...didn't hear a difference with them in or out... :?

Now cables...I've heard differences... :thumb: