Why power cord?

lanchile

Why power cord?
« on: 7 Mar 2012, 07:43 pm »
I have seen a lot of members complaining about power cords upgrades. Are Bryston's power cords that bad? :duh:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
Re: Why power cord?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2012, 01:54 am »
  I don't think bad is the word, it's just that I tried the Nordost Vishnu and,in my case, there have been general improvements in smoothness and soundstaging. :thumb:

lanchile

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:09 am »
if there are improvements in sound...Why Bryston is not using better power cords in their amps?
Can Bryston's team check if it is for real that changing a power cord it will improve sound...or it is just our heads that tell another story  :scratch:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:29 am »

Lanchile :  Have you tried different power cords on the amps which you build and if so, what differences if any have you noted between different cords ?
FWIW, I'm still using the OE cords on my Brystons but I'm not pursuing any kind of agenda here, just curious about your experience.  :D

D.D.

lanchile

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:44 am »
I use just regular power cord in my diy amp. I had a Bryston B60 using the stock power cord and it sounded wonderful. I have never used those "special" power cords, that is why I was wondering if a power cord can improve sound quality? can it be this like the same thing with those fuses that cost a lot of money and claim to improve sound, Because I have never use those either. :scratch:. I wish I had the money to try those expensive cords and fuses to find out if all this is for real. :(

Diamond Dog

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:56 am »

I haven't tried any aftermarket power cords on my system either so I have no experiences based on actual experience and thus nothing of any real value to share with you on this topic, lanchile. Let's see what others have to offer...

D.D.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:03 am »
This is going to get ugly.

Paraphrasing James - its pointless to tell someone what they hear and what the don't.

I find in order to hear differences in cables, you have to really know the system.  I can detect changes relatively quickly.  I'm not saying those differences are big, they're always positive or negative, and not am I saying they're worth the cost.

In a demo room, I honestly don't think I've heard differences.  In my room, I generally have.  What may be so subtle that a person unfamiliar with the system will miss, I'll hear in mine pretty quickly as I've been listening to it for the last couple of years.

I do not have superior hearing.  I'm not a self proclaimed golden eared audiophile.  Not even close.  I'm just saying that subtleties in a system you've owned for quite a while are far bigger than in a system you've only heard for a few minutes.

I take cables home, listen to them for a week or two, then swap the old ones back in.  If there's an appreciably positive difference that's worth the cost, they stay.  If not, they go back.  There have been instances where I heard zero differences, and instances where what should have been an upgrade was easily a downgrade.

I use a Shunyata Diamondback Platinium on my B60 and a Venom on my Rega DAC.  I easily hear the differences.  I'm not saying the stock cables were bad by any means, just that the Shunyatas were easily worth the $125 and $100 respectively.  I'm sure someone else may think they're a downgrade somehow. 

Rclark

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2012, 05:38 am »
I personally think it's a sham. It's a power cord. Think about it.

And I don't think a premier company like Bryston wouldn't notice if something like their cord wasn't up to par. I think looking for upgrades in things like that is just silly. It's like someone with a big dent on the front of their car covering it with a flower garland. That was a bad analogy. Very, very bad. But you get the idea.

Just my opinion. I've decided to opt out early. No wires for "flavor" (color), cables, stones, brass cups, etc. Just real upgrades that have a real impact.
« Last Edit: 8 Mar 2012, 06:55 am by Rclark »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2012, 08:14 am »
Agree this is going to get ugly.
Sort of like arguing about politics, or religion.
I agree it seems better wires then cheap stuff does make a difference.
However i limit my madness to only 10% of the system cost for all wires.
(Or 15% including power conditioning)
I use Pangea power cords, two power conditioners, Kimber wires, Hero and 8TC mostly.

The endless debates over this issue are funny and sad at the same time.
Dogma and disbelief fighting against experience and/or delusional wishful thinking.. all four are part of it
I will NOT wish anyone good luck arguing about this stuff. No one has changed thier mind from reading this sort of crap.
The ONLY reason anyone has changed thier mind was they tried something themselves. On the other hand just as many have tried something and discovered they did not find it made any difference.

Rclark

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2012, 08:16 am »
There's no reason for it to get ugly. We already know what the prevailing opinions will be, one of a few. No surprise, no reason to argue.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2012, 09:05 am »
There's no reason for it to get ugly. We already know what the prevailing opinions will be, one of a few. No surprise, no reason to argue.
It is true there is no reason for it to get ugly. The problem is someone ALWAYS starts up stuff to make it ugly.
This is not an area of reasoned discourse.
« Last Edit: 9 Mar 2012, 06:18 am by Elizabeth »

PRELUDE

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2012, 10:20 am »
I agree this is going to get ugly.
Just like this

:lol:

Diamond Dog

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2012, 01:08 pm »
I personally think it's a sham. It's a power cord. Think about it.

And I don't think a premier company like Bryston wouldn't notice if something like their cord wasn't up to par. I think looking for upgrades in things like that is just silly. It's like someone with a big dent on the front of their car covering it with a flower garland. That was a bad analogy. Very, very bad. But you get the idea.

Just my opinion. I've decided to opt out early. No wires for "flavor" (color), cables, stones, brass cups, etc. Just real upgrades that have a real impact.

OK, so now we all know what you think. What also interests me is which ( if any ) aftermarket power cords you have actually tried and what your experience was. Do you have a view based on a comparison to offer or are you just here pushing an agenda?  Because that's why these threads always seem to get ugly and the IGW is already overflowing with that  - who needs more?

D.D.

sfraser

« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2012, 02:03 pm »
It would be interesting to see what the most famous mastering or finishing studios use for power cables on their equipment? You know the  professionals who are meticulous with equipment choices and room design etc.

As Cheryl Crowe croons ( try saying that 10 times fast) " if it makes you happy" then it's fine with me.

Scott

Diamond Dog

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2012, 03:43 pm »
It would be interesting to see what the most famous mastering or finishing studios use for power cables on their equipment? You know the  professionals who are meticulous with equipment choices and room design etc.

Scott

That would be an interesting topic but so is the OP. :D Which aftermarket power cords have you tried, Scott?

D.D.

rmurray

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2012, 03:52 pm »
  My power cords (nordost) has been a worthwhile tweek. Noise cancellation is the prime action. If you check it out all these cords seem to be 6ft long, not more or less. I only have my ears on my particular system to state this.
  Bryston would have to up the prices of their units to pursue what is, no doubt' a very small but noticeable difference in smoothness and detail. Of course not all listeners can hear well enough to realize the differences.but that is not a viable reason to scoff at those that do :wave:

sfraser

« Reply #16 on: 8 Mar 2012, 06:19 pm »
That would be an interesting topic but so is the OP. :D Which aftermarket power cords have you tried, Scott?

D.D.

Several  (likely), what ever was at the top of the pile when I hook the amp up back up. Actually i think i only have one 3B NRB that has a detachable PC, the rest are hard wired. The way i look at it , The hard wiring from the  factory ensures minimum voltage drop  across the junction point : )

Danberg

« Reply #17 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:21 pm »
I am curious... rmurray which specific Nordost power cable(s) do you use?  I use their interconnects, hear & like the results, but have not experimented with their power cables.

Diamond Dog

« Reply #18 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:22 pm »
Several  (likely), what ever was at the top of the pile when I hook the amp up back up. Actually i think i only have one 3B NRB that has a detachable PC, the rest are hard wired. The way i look at it , The hard wiring from the  factory ensures minimum voltage drop  across the junction point : )

Thanks, Scott. :thumb:
Further to your thought about what gets used in studios for cabling, I seem to recall TONEPUB mentioning in a thread that contrary to what is commonly believed, some studios he's been in are using products like AudioQuest in their day-to-day operations.

D.D. 

sfraser

« Reply #19 on: 8 Mar 2012, 07:40 pm »
Thanks, Scott. :thumb:
Further to your thought about what gets used in studios for cabling, I seem to recall TONEPUB mentioning in a thread that contrary to what is commonly believed, some studios he's been in are using products like AudioQuest in their day-to-day operations.

D.D.

Well that is cool! :thumb: