Why power cord?

ronman

Re: Why power cord?
« Reply #100 on: 16 May 2012, 08:18 pm »
Hello everyone

I started off in "hifi" as a true cable cynic. Wire is wire bla bla bla, however, I took the time to compare various "wires". It started with cheapo interconnects. Some times I heard a difference, other times none. As my interconnect comparisons continued, if I heard an improvement in sound delivery and the price was justifiably reasonable I upgraded the lesser interconnects. I am now running balanced Audioquest Sky interconnects and matching digital cables throughout my system. I wont upgrade any further as I believe the cost of any future upgrade does not justify the improvement of the sound. I used the same mindset when I compared and upgraded speaker cables. The same applied to power cables.  Some power cables, in my system in my room (I agree with what Stu Pitt mentioned earlier - you must know your system in your environment to notice the smaller details your sound system sends you) did make a difference. Others none. ( Speaking about knowing your music system and room environment.....I changed the curtains once - I went from really thick heavy double lined curtains - "drapes" you call them ?? -to thinner lighter curtains. The sound in my room changed. I think the heavy curtains were over dampening the room)  I tried various lower and middle end Furutech power cables - no difference in sound delivery. My system did however like the Isotek  cables. Which preformed even better after I changed the male and female plugs on the power cord. Fitted the Furutech rodium plated plugs. Compared them against a friends Isoteks fitted with the gold plated Furutech plugs. The gold plated ones were better sounding. So I stripped every plug, went to work on it with a dremel, polished away the rodium coating to expose the "pure" copper beneath. Compared the copper version to the rodium version, the copper won.
R Murray stated that there was a certain smoothness and increase in detail in his system with certain power cords. I found that too. I will even add that the background was quieter too.
From my own experience the purchase of a decent power conditioner, in my case the Isotek Sigmas, was a better buy than all the power cables combined. The power condition does a really good job of cleaning up the power before it feeds it to to system. The system as a whole benefits - with or without fancy power cords.
Who was it? Vegasdave!! Vegasdave spoke about dedicated circuits. Tried it. Got a 3 x 4mm core active screen 15meter long dedicated 40amp (220volt) cable from the circuit breaker to my sound system. Didn't hear any difference after installing that.    (active screen you may ask....the earth and the cable screen / shield is connected together at one end of the cable, but not at the other. The earth must be properly connected at either end of the cable for safety reasons)
For me, trying to find small affordable tweaks to my system (both av and stereo) motivated the above experimenting. (Thats also why I tried upgraded fuses - which you may have read about somewhere here.) The reason was that I am really happy with the various hi-fi components, but wanted a little bit more out of them. Upgrading these components - as in buying a more expensive component - for a small increase in sound at a greater expense just doesn't do it for me. As much as I love music (and a decent movie) I still look at the cost vs enjoyment ratio.
Ronald

cheap-Jack

WE call it "TWEAKING"...
« Reply #101 on: 17 May 2012, 03:36 pm »
Hi.

- for a small increase in sound at a greater expense just doesn't do it for me. As much as I love music (and a decent movie) I still look at the cost vs enjoyment ratio. Ronald

Yes, you have said it right - BEST sonic return for the LEAST cost.

I always do so since day one as I am a die-hard DIYer. Having electrical engineering educated & involved in same industries for decades, I dare say I can defy electricity. I always try to get audio vendors out of my way as I know the way of "tweaking". This can save me big bucks to move on my goal of getting closest to the original sound.

Yes, you may label me as "cheap". Who doesn't want to save to get better sound (provided one knows the way).?

To KILL vibration, as an example of my equipment tweaking, EACH of them is 'floated' on its support base on tuned alloy tip-toes or steel spikes.

My TT is 'floated' via 4 acousticaly tuned copper/brass tip-toes on  1/2" plywood board, which is then 'floated ' via 4 rubber pads on 2 heavy-weight hollow concrete blocks, which are then 'floated' via steel spikes on the fully-carpetted concrete floor of my house basement.

This DIYed TT stand weighs about 100lbs, totally DEtached from my HARDwod audio rack. This heavy weight TT stand idea was borrowed the 550lb Rockport Technologies System III Sirius TT, retailed for USD73,750 !!!!!

Mass + isolation - resonance/vibraton killer!! An effective yet cheapie tweak.

c-J

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #102 on: 20 May 2012, 04:16 am »
Who was it? Vegasdave!! Vegasdave spoke about dedicated circuits. Tried it. Got a 3 x 4mm core active screen 15meter long dedicated 40amp (220volt) cable from the circuit breaker to my sound system. Didn't hear any difference after installing that.

Yes, it was me. Really. But, did your amps run more efficiently? I would think so...

tug919

« Reply #103 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:32 pm »
This power cord stuff is interesting and I am sure it makes a big difference.  But if you want to get the best sound out of your system there is a simple way to do it.  I had to experiment for a while before I found the best solution, which I am happy to reveal it here so that you guys won't have to spend your time discovering the same thing I did.

First I had a Catholic priest come in and bless my system.  The sound became much more authoritative.  Then I had a rabbi do the same, but am sad to report there was an increase in crosstalk.  I had a Methodist preacher come in next, but his blessing didn't appear to make a difference.  Then I brought in a Pentecostal preacher.  The system refused to play at all after he blessed it.

But then came the miracle.  After the Rastafarian priest had been there for half an hour, my system sounded miraculously better!

decal

« Reply #104 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm »
This power cord stuff is interesting and I am sure it makes a big difference.  But if you want to get the best sound out of your system there is a simple way to do it.  I had to experiment for a while before I found the best solution, which I am happy to reveal it here so that you guys won't have to spend your time discovering the same thing I did.

First I had a Catholic priest come in and bless my system.  The sound became much more authoritative.  Then I had a rabbi do the same, but am sad to report there was an increase in crosstalk.  I had a Methodist preacher come in next, but his blessing didn't appear to make a difference.  Then I brought in a Pentecostal preacher.  The system refused to play at all after he blessed it.

But then came the miracle.  After the Rastafarian priest had been there for half an hour, my system sounded miraculously better!

Must have been the spliff !!!!!!!!!

underdawg

• Industry Participant
« Reply #105 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:48 pm »
hilarious a preacher joke , never thought to bless my system, ill ask my priest. He did bless our rottwielers so maybe he will do my stereo. :lol:

scb

« Reply #106 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:21 pm »
I personally think it's a sham. It's a power cord. Think about it.

I agreed with you 100%. There was no way a power cord was going to change anything

Then I tried a Sablon Uber Robusto.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #107 on: 16 Apr 2013, 07:20 pm »
 My power cords have made a  significant difference in regards to noise reduction (in my set up), can't say for yours :thumb:

scb

« Reply #108 on: 16 Apr 2013, 07:28 pm »
My power cords have made a  significant difference in regards to noise reduction (in my set up), can't say for yours :thumb:

That's actually the thing that I noticed immediately. 

BrystonNut

• Bryston, there is no substitute!
« Reply #109 on: 17 Apr 2013, 03:14 pm »
In the late eighties I had a Denon system PMA1000 with an Adcom integrated...nice for the time and the sound was good to me...something terrible happened and I moved into a new house. My system would pick up radio waves, hiss, static all intermittently.

I then proceeded on the power cord/condition roller-coaster...

Turned out it was the house wiring! The hot and neutral were reversed! :banghead:

Anyway, to make a long story longer...really depends on the house wiring and proximity to commercial manufacturing and the local utility.

Reasonably priced power cord makes sense if you're using a good power conditioner.

$1000 power cord is audio jewelry...IMHO and a complete waste of time, but hey it sho looks good. :drool:

$100-200 makes sense even cheaper for DIY.

Samurai7595

« Reply #110 on: 17 Apr 2013, 05:27 pm »
For inexpensive yet extremely well built power cords, have a look at Signal Cable (USA):

http://signalcable.com/power_cables.html

I use the MagicPower power cords in my system.

spinner

« Reply #111 on: 17 Apr 2013, 11:24 pm »
  I added Nordost  Vishnus to all my audio components. I get  greater detail and no more sudden cop and cab voices from the speakers. :peek: