Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!
« Reply #220 on: 18 Feb 2011, 03:38 pm »
yeah, if you can connect 24/88 Oppo SACD (PCM) and/or 24/192 BlURay from either player then coax is fine.  I gotta assume it is (I was more concerned it was toslink before you confirmed coax).

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #221 on: 18 Feb 2011, 07:49 pm »
This question probably shows that I don’t have complete understanding of Hirez so apologies in advance.  I listen to digital through a Modwright Transporter streaming my CD collection from an iMac.  The CD layer of my SACDs has been ripped to the iMac and that’s the way I listen to them.  In the same room as the Transporter there will be next week an OPPO BD-93 used for home theater.  I understand from reading this thread that the Transporter is limited to 24/96 resolution, but would there be any advantage to using the OPPO as a transport for SACDs played through an Atlona HD577 into the Transporter as a DAC?  By streaming the ripped CD layer of my SACDs to the Transporter I’m hearing them at lower resolution of CDs (is that 16/44?)  Using the OPPO > Atlona > Transporter would I hear this music at the higher resolution of the SACD layer?  Are SACDs 24/96 or something higher?

djmckaytx

• Legacy Whispers, Legacy Amps, Grover Cables
« Reply #222 on: 18 Feb 2011, 08:04 pm »
This question probably shows that I don’t have complete understanding of Hirez so apologies in advance.  I listen to digital through a Modwright Transporter streaming my CD collection from an iMac.  The CD layer of my SACDs has been ripped to the iMac and that’s the way I listen to them.  In the same room as the Transporter there will be next week an OPPO BD-93 used for home theater.  I understand from reading this thread that the Transporter is limited to 24/96 resolution, but would there be any advantage to using the OPPO as a transport for SACDs played through an Atlona HD577 into the Transporter as a DAC?  By streaming the ripped CD layer of my SACDs to the Transporter I’m hearing them at lower resolution of CDs (is that 16/44?)  Using the OPPO > Atlona > Transporter would I hear this music at the higher resolution of the SACD layer?  Are SACDs 24/96 or something higher?

I am by no means the expert here...but YES it will work and YES there will be a significant upgrade to your sound, but you will be subject to the 24/96 limitation of your Transporter.  SACDs by nature are 24/176.4 (imitation of the Oppo output over HDMI for SACD is 88.2) and DVD-As (which the Oppo will play) are up to 24/192.

If I've mis-spoken here, I'm sure Ted will set the facts straight.  :=D

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #223 on: 18 Feb 2011, 08:08 pm »

SACD's are a proprietary 1 bit DSD, (they are NOT by nature anything 24 bit)....which roughly approximates 24/176 (or 24/352) depending on who you talk to.  That's a debate for another thread.  But anyway.....SACD's are downrez'd nicely in players like the Oppo to 24/88.2k.  If you properly use the de-embedders discussed here (i.e have an HDMI back end they handshake with, etc) then yes sending that 24/88.2k to the TP's digital inputs would make perfect sense.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #224 on: 18 Feb 2011, 11:28 pm »
Thanks Ted.  Is the only way to get that 24/88.2 output from the OPPO via HDMI?

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #225 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:00 am »
Thanks Ted.  Is the only way to get that 24/88.2 output from the OPPO via HDMI?

Yes, other than already decoded via analog outs of course. 

djmckaytx

« Reply #226 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:20 am »
Hooked up my Oppo BDP-83SE to the Atlona 577 and the DAC-2 about an hour ago.  Set everything up as described here.  Fired right up on the first try.  First thing I tried was the Japanese SACD of Aja by Steely Dan.  Then the Modern Cool SACD by Patricia Barber (MFSL).  I am pretty familiar with both of these discs...or so I thought.  The differences pre vs. post just about knocked me down.

Tried others out and here's what the DAC-2 displayed:
DVD-V:         48k (Elton John Live At Ephesus 2000)
Redbook CD:  41k
DVD-A:         96k (Yes Magnification), and 192k (Neil Young Harvest)

I could not tell a TON of difference between using a toslink connection and a coax connection, but then again it's just been an hour.  It will be a long night, I can already tell.   :D

My bet is that my problem with getting the Sony S770 to work is either in the firmware or my settings and is not with my digital cables.  I will try again later this weekend, but the sound I'm getting from SACDs on the Oppo is greatness right now.

Phil A

« Reply #227 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:26 am »
Hi Phil,

The 370 is at M03.R.695

HOME > Setup > System Settings > System Information

I wonder if Sony could kill our fun with a firmware update?

Cheers,

Ross

Mine (for the BDP-BX37) is showing M03.R.197

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #228 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:27 am »
I will try again later this weekend, but the sound I'm getting from SACDs on the Oppo is greatness right now.

It's MY b-day today but this is still is a great b-day gift...knowing you finally got there.   :beer:

Phil A

« Reply #229 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:39 am »
Ted, Happy Birthday - mine was the 12th.

I just updated the firmware on my Sony - it now says M03.R.742.  Sometime over the weekend, I'll move the Sony back from the office system to the main system and try again.  I have a manual switch for the network port the player is connected to.  I normally leave it connected to position A for the internet radio on the Pioneer 1120.  Position 'B' is for Blu-Ray and position 'C' is for computer when I update virus protection on the laptop once a week.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #230 on: 19 Feb 2011, 12:56 am »
Phil, thanks!

Another piece of Sony DSD BluRay info, coming from the SA-CD.net forum (and you Sony owners probably already know this).
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Rt-Ift1frOAJ:www.sa-cd.net/showthread/54680//y%3Fpage%3Dfirst+sony+370+DSD+off&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

So, on some Sony models the analog outs don't work if DSD is on (so that's worth checking if you think your Sony player is still sending DSD).  And there is a setting on page 23 called DSD ouput mode.  I assume everyone ahs that mode "off"?  Sorry, stupid questions I know.

Phil A

« Reply #231 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:03 am »
Ted - yes I had it off.  I confirmed what I had my setting on earlier in this thread with another member.  Perhaps the new firmware will resolve the issue.  The DAC was getting a signal and it was locked on.  I just got no sound from the DAC's analog outs.

djmckaytx

« Reply #232 on: 19 Feb 2011, 01:05 am »
It's MY b-day today but this is still is a great b-day gift...knowing you finally got there.   :beer:

THANKS so much for all the help!  Happy Birthday!

mike_h

« Reply #233 on: 20 Feb 2011, 02:18 pm »
Dear All

I am considering purchasing an Altona HD570 unit for the following purpose:

I have a Sony bdp370 which I use primarily for Bluray and DVD. I have an old Denon multichanel AV receiver (model AVR3802) which has no HDMI input, but does have a set of analoge (RCA) multichannel inputs. At the moment I listen to 5.1 dolby digital or dts via optical.

In order to obtain an improvement in sound quality (ie. to hear the high-res multichanel tracks available on blurays) I propose to feed an LPCM multichannel signal from the Sony to the Atlona de-embeder and use the analogue outs from the 557 to my amp. If this works, I would also be
interested in having a dabble in the world of SACD (which I understand would also be transmittable via this set up).

The HDMI signal passing through the device is of no interest to me as I have only on video source (sony) and one video destination, a projector, which are connected directly.

I propose to use the device for one purpose - to convert LPCM HDMI audio signal to analogue.

I have no detailed understanding of the world of Hi-res audio. I would be therefore be very grateful if someone could take the time to advise:

1. Will the unit deliver the required result?
2. Will the new set up deliver a decent improvement in sound quality for the price? Perhaps I am asking, is the digital to analogue conversion taking place in the Atlona going to be a significant improvement over standard resolution via optical? Has anyone tested the quality of the analogue outs?
3. are there any other issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #234 on: 20 Feb 2011, 05:24 pm »
Mike, Welcome to AC!!

No, the setup you describe will NOT work because you will have no HDMI out destination (to complete the required handshake).  Second, you mentioned first the 570 (my older passive device( and then later the 577 (newer more expensive active device that captures EDID).  Which would it be?  Why do I ask?  Because the 577 would work with no HDMI backend if and only if you first connected it to a legit HDMI receiver back end and had it "learn" and store the handshake, a capability the 570 or Monoprice devices can't do.  Without this capture of the handshake these devices can't properly work in everyday mode unconnected to an HDMi backend.

mike_h

« Reply #235 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:44 pm »
Hi Ted

Thanks for the quick reply. I meant to refer to the 570 model only. I had heard about the handshake issue. I noticed on Atlona's website

http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-1.3-Audio-De-Embedder-with-3D-Support.html

highlighted in red is a note:

"Note: For the applications where the HD570's HDMI output will not be connected to the display, please contact Atlona Support to apply a firmware patch prior purchasing the product."

So perhaps this would address this problem for the 570? I will ask Atlona.

If this does not yield results then I would consider buying the 577 model, and using a friend's HDMI receiver once to teach the 577 the handshake. Would that do the trick?

If one of these ideas is practicable, do you have any idea of the sound quality from the analogue outs? (if these are no good then I will not be buying either product)

Many thanks

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #236 on: 20 Feb 2011, 07:49 pm »
Ted - your knowledge on this topic is a great and appreciated resource, thanks again for your generous assistance.  This thread has got me thinking about further explorations of hirez, like checking out what music is available on blue-ray music disks and all the other topics in The HiRez Music Circle.  If there is enough music I'm interested in, there may be a new DAC in my system in the near future, one that is capable of 24/192.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #237 on: 20 Feb 2011, 08:28 pm »
Mike, I gotta assume the analog outs on the 570 are only ok, not great.  The box is all of a circuit board, so the analog outs are likely of midfi quality.  That being said, they are better than the 370's (i.e none!) and provide you the flexibility to later get a DAC and listen via better analog stages.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #238 on: 21 Feb 2011, 02:58 am »
Well that didn't take long - finding out what's available of interest to me in HiRez.  One look at the HD Tracks site convinces me to pursue HiRez.

Phil A

« Reply #239 on: 22 Feb 2011, 02:10 am »
No better results for me after updating firmware.  Again I connected the Sony BDP-BX37 to the HDMI audio de-embedder in the main system.  The DAC did register 176.4kHz was being received (from the SACD disc) but again got no sound.  Just for laughs since I just got the Emotiva DAC and I dragged the player down to the basement system and hooked it up to the HDMI audio de-embedder and got no sound.  I changed inputs to the HDMI audio de-embedder via its remote and put the the SACD disc into the Oppo DV980H and got sound.  So I guess I'm condemned :lol: to pass DSD from the BDP-BX37 to the Pioneer 1120 in the office system.