Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #200 on: 29 Nov 2010, 05:58 pm »
No, I really don't know.  At least in theory the stripped down Linux hardware and software should have an advantage over a very big Mac OS.  Mach2Music definitely has the right idea and apparently it sounds terrific, but that OS is still pretty darn big.

My Alix arrived about 5 minutes ago so I hope to start on that tonight.

Maybe but the $395 upgrade to the OS after the SSD and RAM is a bit steep IMO. 

Let us know how it goes with the Alix.  Anytime you want to try the Mini, UPS is waiting.   :thumb:

jrebman

« Reply #201 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:09 pm »
Well, I have both an alix and a Mach2 Mini  and while the alix is not in use right now as it is for my ZHRT II+ and my headphone amp (under construction), I can tell you that nothing I've heard or owned, and I mean nothing, beats the mach2 mini with the Tranquility SE.  Other dacs and YMMV, but this is simply the best digital I've ever heard -- so much so I now don't regret dumping my analog rig now, at all.  The alix with mpd and the HRT is really nice, don't get me wrong, but even when I'm done with the linear supply for it, I'm sure it's not going to outdo the modified mini, but the alix is also an order of magnitude less expensive, so in that sense, it is a giant killer.  One really can't say anything bad about either, but cost aside, the ultimate performer is still the modified 2010 mini.

At some point when the linear psu for the alix is done, I will configure it for the Tranquility and do a real oranges to oranges comparison, but that will just have to wait until January sometime.  Too many irons in the fire right now.

-- Jim

TomS

« Reply #202 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
Well, I have both an alix and a Mach2 Mini  and while the alix is not in use right now as it is for my ZHRT II+ and my headphone amp (under construction), I can tell you that nothing I've heard or owned, and I mean nothing, beats the mach2 mini with the Tranquility SE.  Other dacs and YMMV, but this is simply the best digital I've ever heard -- so much so I now don't regret dumping my analog rig now, at all.  The alix with mpd and the HRT is really nice, don't get me wrong, but even when I'm done with the linear supply for it, I'm sure it's not going to outdo the modified mini, but the alix is also an order of magnitude less expensive, so in that sense, it is a giant killer.  One really can't say anything bad about either, but cost aside, the ultimate performer is still the modified 2010 mini.

At some point when the linear psu for the alix is done, I will configure it for the Tranquility and do a real oranges to oranges comparison, but that will just have to wait until January sometime.  Too many irons in the fire right now.

-- Jim
Jim,

Does the Tranquility function ok with Linux without any special drivers or setup?

Tom

mcgsxr

« Reply #203 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:42 pm »
I am probably off the direct line of this thread, but since it seems to center around silent servers, could one use a thin client for one of these?  Something like this - http://www.directdial.com/L130.html?

Through contacts, I can likely score a piece of h/w like this, would I then just need to load the s/w and use it to run my SB3 music?

ebag4

« Reply #204 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:47 pm »
Jim,

Does the Tranquility function ok with Linux without any special drivers or setup?

Tom
Yes, no special drivers required for the Tranquility.

Best,
Ed

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #205 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:51 pm »
I am probably off the direct line of this thread, but since it seems to center around silent servers, could one use a thin client for one of these?  Something like this - http://www.directdial.com/L130.html?

Through contacts, I can likely score a piece of h/w like this, would I then just need to load the s/w and use it to run my SB3 music?

I have no idea. Is it even x86? There's no specs listed. Also, I've never owned any Squeezebox kit so I don't know what the software/hardware requirements are.

jrebman

« Reply #206 on: 29 Nov 2010, 06:57 pm »
Hi Tom,

Yes, in terms of the usb interface of the Tranquility and the computer's ability to communicate with it, it's as generic as you get.  Plug and play.  The original configuration from the first pages of this thread when Nick was using a Wavelength Brick at 16/44.1, works fine, though I did not try it with any hi=res files at the time, so there may be some slight config changes needed to enable sample rate conversionm but maybe not.

-- Jim

Alexdad54

« Reply #207 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:02 pm »
Here's the spec sheet for the L130 mentioned above:http://www.ncomputing.com/docs/datasheets/en/datasheet_lseries.pdf

If it uses their proprietary chip, the NUMO, then here are some details:
Numo is a highly integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) that features a dual-core ARM CPU; embedded media processors supporting dynamic bandwidth management, multiple protocols and codecs including UXP and H.264; Windows-compliant graphics subsystem and a complete complement of device interfaces for graphics, serial, parallel, USB, SD, I2S, I2C and more for integration with enterprise and consumer devices. NComputing plans to support Microsoft’s recently announced RemoteFX technology, when available.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #208 on: 29 Nov 2010, 07:12 pm »
Here's the spec sheet for the L130 mentioned above:http://www.ncomputing.com/docs/datasheets/en/datasheet_lseries.pdf

If it uses their proprietary chip, the NUMO, then here are some details:
Numo is a highly integrated System-on-Chip (SoC) that features a dual-core ARM CPU; embedded media processors supporting dynamic bandwidth management, multiple protocols and codecs including UXP and H.264; Windows-compliant graphics subsystem and a complete complement of device interfaces for graphics, serial, parallel, USB, SD, I2S, I2C and more for integration with enterprise and consumer devices. NComputing plans to support Microsoft’s recently announced RemoteFX technology, when available.

Voyage Linux is only available in x86 architecture. You could install Debian ARM, if you have the know how. But, if you have the know how, and have a USB DAC, then you might as well get one of these TS boards (http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?product=TS-7550).  They come with Debian ARM pre-installed, so for 16/44.1 DAC's all you would have to do is apt-get mpd and ALSA. For USB Class 2 Audio, you would need to cross-compile a snapshot of ALSA and mpd 0.16 alpha.

TomS

« Reply #209 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:13 am »
Well, I got all the way through formatting the CF card on my ClearOS Linux server, building Voyage boot image on CF,  booting and installing Voyage on the Alix, fixing the IP address on Alix, configuring Voyage on Alix. 

Following the next blog instructions to install NFS, I stalled at the step to re-start NFS and then when I run "mount -a" it just hangs and times out.  It looks like there is no script for "/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart" in /etc/init.d directory.  Any ideas?

jeffery

« Reply #210 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:26 am »
Hi, Mr. nyc_paramedic

You are a truly expert, thank you very much.

Jeffery

1. The first generation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#First_generation_cores) Atom's were crippled by pairing them with a chip set (i945) that actually consumed *more* power than the Atom CPU itself. Also, and this is relevant to the current generation of Atom boards as well, I have searched the internet high and low for a headless Atom board and have yet to find one as simply elegant as the Alix 3d2 for feeding a USB DAC  --that is, truly headless (no VGA circuitry) and with the minimum amount of electronics on board to get the job done.

There have been _announcements_  by some SBC (specialty single-board-computer) manufacturers concerning new SBC utilizing the new Z series Atom CPU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#Second_generation_cores), but I haven't seen anything actually available. Plus, any industrial SBC will cost you a minimum of $300-$500 USD. That's _if_ you find someone to sell you a single quantity item. In contrast, the PC Engines boards offer an incredible value and are available in single quantities. The new Bryston BDP-1 digital player is based on an Alix 1d.

2. There are many companies that are selling USB DACs with custom drivers. Some will offer a Linux driver and it should not be too much trouble to get it running with Voyage MPD --if it's not already included in the Linux kernel. Some, though, will only offer  closed, proprietary drivers for Windows and Mac only. To that I say: Vote with your wallet and don't buy the product. How will you know if the manufacture will support a future version of your operating system? How quickly will they fix bugs, if ever? What happens if the manufacturer of your DAC goes out of business? Is their source code entangled with third party IP (intellectual property) so it can never be released into the public domain? This is why open standards (USB Audio Class 1 and Class 2 Audio) are a good thing. I know that my expensive Ayre USB DAC will be usable by me for as long as I can find a machine with a USB 2.0 port.

I forgot to mention a new Atom board that is currently available in single quantities, the OpenVox IPC100. 1.1Ghz and 1.6Ghz fanless Atom (http://www.openvox.cn/products/show.php?itemid=161&lang=2)

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #211 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:40 am »
Hi, Mr. nyc_paramedic
You are a truly expert, thank you very much.

Actually, I'm not. Really. My profession has nothing to do with computers. I know how to use Google, ask good questions, and know when to admit that I don't know something. I'm really like an idiot savant --minus the savant part.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #212 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:42 am »
Well, I got all the way through formatting the CF card on my ClearOS Linux server, building Voyage boot image on CF,  booting and installing Voyage on the Alix, fixing the IP address on Alix, configuring Voyage on Alix. 

Following the next blog instructions to install NFS, I stalled at the step to re-start NFS and then when I run "mount -a" it just hangs and times out.  It looks like there is no script for "/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart" in /etc/init.d directory.  Any ideas?

Just to be clear, you're running the nfs server on a machine that is *not* the Alix, right?

TomS

« Reply #213 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:44 am »
Yes, trying to install on the ClearOS, but it may have another nfs package already there.  I was using Samba for Windows for my Squeeze setup.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #214 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
Yes, trying to install on the ClearOS, but it may have another nfs package already there.  I was using Samba for Windows for my Squeeze setup.

I'm not familiar with ClearOS. Is that one of those web-configurable distros?

jrebman

« Reply #215 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:49 am »
Hey Nick.

Give  yourself a bit more credit than that.  You have really brought a great thing to we computer-based audiophiles and music lovers, and your willingness to help people is total class.  You rock!

-- Jim

TomS

« Reply #216 on: 30 Nov 2010, 12:57 am »
I'm not familiar with ClearOS. Is that one of those web-configurable distros?
ClearOS is a CentOS (Redhat) flavor.  It used to be Clarkconnect.  It has an admin gui, but I do most everything through command line anyway.

ebag4

« Reply #217 on: 30 Nov 2010, 01:02 am »
Hey Nick.

Give  yourself a bit more credit than that.  You have really brought a great thing to we computer-based audiophiles and music lovers, and your willingness to help people is total class.  You rock!

-- Jim
x2.  Well said Jim.

TomS

« Reply #218 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:40 am »
I had to take a little different approach to ClearOS (doesn't have NFS native, and it's Linux!) and eventually got the server side running.  Now I just need to work on the Voyage client side and I'm in business ...

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #219 on: 30 Nov 2010, 02:43 am »
I had to take a little different approach to ClearOS (doesn't have NFS native, and it's Linux!) and eventually got the server side running.  Now I just need to work on the Voyage client side and I'm in business ...

I'll be up for a few hours. Let me know how its going...