Dspeaker Dual Core review

roscoeiii

Re: New DSPeaker Dual Core Review
« Reply #160 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:06 pm »
The current issue of The Absolute Sound has an informative review of the Dual Core (by Robert Greene, on p. 88), which goes into some detail in describing the ways the device can be used for more than just bass control.

The discussion of the Dual Core's 16 band parametric EQ is particularly useful.

Two nits to pick with the review:

1. The author gives the impression that one cannot calibrate a 2.1 or 2.2 system, but in fact this can be done by connecting sub(s) to the DUal Core's RCA outs and connecting amp, or preferably preamp, to the XLR outs. In this scheme, not only is the bass corrected for both main speakers and sub(s), but obviously also all EQ is affecting both.

Guido F.

IIRC, I think that the issue is that a single DualCore cannot be used to provide high and low pass filters for systems with subs.

Guidof

Re: New DSPeaker Dual Core Review
« Reply #161 on: 15 Jan 2013, 06:14 pm »
Yes, that is correct. In an application with only one Dual Core, one needs to use the sub's own cross over (or an external crossover).

Guido F.

budget minded

Re: Dspeaker Dual Core review
« Reply #162 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:21 am »
The Gungnir DAC is very good, if you have decided to go with a new source. BUT, if you are going source, I'd recommend a DSPeaker Dual Core 2.0
i would HOPE a $1,000 DAC would sound better, but it's too pricey for me, and regarding lower cost DACs, i want something i won't feel the need to upgrade from once grain, or veiling etc. become apparent. if there's a DAC that's voiced more towards neutrality without too much of it ala "class A rated" benchmark that's the same price as a gungnir, i'll consider that, but that DSPeaker is fugly too. i'm trying to upgrade aesthetics a little too.

Rclark

« Reply #163 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:36 am »
It's tiny, just hide it. I'd rather have it utilitarian at $1200 than in some display case for $2000.

rodge827

« Reply #164 on: 31 Jan 2013, 12:53 am »
i would HOPE a $1,000 DAC would sound better, but it's too pricey for me, and regarding lower cost DACs, i want something i won't feel the need to upgrade from once grain, or veiling etc. become apparent. if there's a DAC that's voiced more towards neutrality without too much of it ala "class A rated" benchmark that's the same price as a gungnir, i'll consider that, but that DSPeaker is fugly too. i'm trying to upgrade aesthetics a little too.

I have had a number of Dac's in my system and the Dac in the Dual Core can stand up to all but one!
That was a custom Audionote Kits 2.1b Sig Dac that a friend of mine built for me. The parts ran well over $3500.00, over sized BG Caps in the PS, AN Silver in Oil Coupling Caps ($1000.00), 2w Tantalum resistors, Digital board upgrades, all an silver hook up wire etc....

The Dual Core Dac sounds best run on a 12v linear or 12v battery power supply. I have mine on battery and have no desire to change. The Dual Core is a serious piece of gear, don't let the spartan looks fool you. With all the Dual Core has to offer $1200.00 is a steal!

Good Luck,

Rodge

Simplifi Audio the Dspeaker US Distributor has a $100.00 off sale with a 20 day trial and 90% money return if you don't like it.

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/ 

Guidof

« Reply #165 on: 2 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm »
I have had a number of Dac's in my system and the Dac in the Dual Core can stand up to all but one!
That was a custom Audionote Kits 2.1b Sig Dac that a friend of mine built for me. The parts ran well over $3500.00, over sized BG Caps in the PS, AN Silver in Oil Coupling Caps ($1000.00), 2w Tantalum resistors, Digital board upgrades, all an silver hook up wire etc....

The Dual Core Dac sounds best run on a 12v linear or 12v battery power supply. I have mine on battery and have no desire to change. The Dual Core is a serious piece of gear, don't let the spartan looks fool you. With all the Dual Core has to offer $1200.00 is a steal!

Good Luck,

Rodge

Simplifi Audio the Dspeaker US Distributor has a $100.00 off sale with a 20 day trial and 90% money return if you don't like it.

http://www.simplifiaudio.com/

+1! First class piece of kit IMO.

Guido F.

cremar

« Reply #166 on: 17 Feb 2013, 05:49 pm »
I have a Dual Core coming in a few days on a loaner basis and have a few questions I hope some of you who have one could answer.  I have a 2.1 system (Selah Audio SSR's and Whomp) and the sub is connected off the speaker taps of my integrated amp (no sub out).  Would I be better off leaving it this way so the DC sees a 2.0 system, or should I try using the balanced outputs to the amp and unbalanced to the sub? 
Am I correct in my understanding that with a sub I would not be able to use a high pass and low pass at the same time?  If so, in what situation could you use both?
In all of the connection examples, the DC comes before a DAC.  Could you have it after the DAC and use the analogue outputs of the DAC and analogue inputs of the DC to access 24/192 tracks?

roscoeiii

« Reply #167 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:27 pm »
I haven't used a sub with my DC, but I can speak to your second question.

Short answer: yes, you can feed the analog output of your DAC to the analog input to the Dual Core. And the A/D/A conversion of the Dual Core is excellent, very transparent. I was shocked when I A/Bed it with my turntable straight thru the pre-amp (with no DSP on, to  just test the A/D/A impact on the sound).

BUT, I think many people would tell you that going from the analog output of your DAC to the Dual Core is not ideal. In general, it is thought to be a good idea to have as little conversion of a signal as possible. You may have to test out what sounds best to you. If you really like your current DAC and want to keep it in the chain, I'd run the Dual Core in digital mode and use the digital inputs and digital outputs.

Or are you asking because one or both of the digital inputs of the Dual Core don't accommodate 24/192? If that is the case, I'd play around with what sounds best. You have it in to audition, so you can compare these and get back to us on what you find.

rodge827

« Reply #168 on: 17 Feb 2013, 06:35 pm »
I have a Dual Core coming in a few days on a loaner basis and have a few questions I hope some of you who have one could answer.  I have a 2.1 system (Selah Audio SSR's and Whomp) and the sub is connected off the speaker taps of my integrated amp (no sub out).  Would I be better off leaving it this way so the DC sees a 2.0 system, or should I try using the balanced outputs to the amp and unbalanced to the sub? 
Am I correct in my understanding that with a sub I would not be able to use a high pass and low pass at the same time?  If so, in what situation could you use both?
In all of the connection examples, the DC comes before a DAC.  Could you have it after the DAC and use the analogue outputs of the DAC and analogue inputs of the DC to access 24/192 tracks?

The Dual Core will work with either way that you want to incorporate the sub. My guess would be that using the dual output method will produce better results. I use the dual output method for my 2.2 set up.

Yes, you are correct that you can only use one "pass" feature at a time. To use them both you will need to purchase 2 Dual Core units and connect them via the Data input, so they can "talk" to each other. The only issue is that Dspeaker hasn't addressed using the Dual Core this way and the software hasn't been written. I had this same question, and that was the answer I got back in September. Things might be different now.

Yes the Dual Core can come after the Dac, but I'm not sure about passing the 24/192 tracks. I don't run hi-rez so I'm not to sure if the internal dac will reproduce that high of a bit rate.

How will you be implementing the Dual Core as preamp or in conjunction with one?   

roscoeiii

« Reply #169 on: 17 Feb 2013, 07:16 pm »
Through the analog input,  A/D/A is 24/192.

cremar

« Reply #170 on: 17 Feb 2013, 08:57 pm »
Thanks for the quick responses!!!

How will you be implementing the Dual Core as preamp or in conjunction with one?   
For now the Dual Core will be the DAC/room correction between my computer and integrated amp. 

Or are you asking because one or both of the digital inputs of the Dual Core don't accommodate 24/192? If that is the case, I'd play around with what sounds best. You have it in to audition, so you can compare these and get back to us on what you find.
Since the Dual Core doesn't do 24/192 I was looking for a way around that limitation.  It's not a big deal for me at this point but I was just thinking about options for down the road.  I'll let you know what I find out.

wisnon

« Reply #171 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:30 pm »
Through the analog input,  A/D/A is 24/192.

Is this new with firmware upgrade (Feb 13?). Before I was sure it was a limit of 24/96

House Curve, Linear-Phase Tilt, Parametric EQs, Adjustable Infrasonic Filter
• Toslink S/PDIF input: 24-bit 32 / 44.1 / 48 kHz and 88.2 / 96 kHz compatible
• USB input: 24-bit 44.1 / 48 kHz

roscoeiii

« Reply #172 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:34 pm »
My understanding was that the A/D/A process was 24/192, even if the DAC inputs might not be able to accommodate 24/192.

wisnon

« Reply #173 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:38 pm »
Roscoe,

Please elaborate, I dont follow you.

The ADC  to DAC process is 24/192? Is that wht you say?

roscoeiii

« Reply #174 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:47 pm »
IIRC the A/D/A through the analog input is at 24/192. But the digital inputs (or one of the digital inputs) are not 24/192 capable. This may be due to the need for a special driver to do 24/192 on the USB and/or due to the limitations of optical inputs (which I often notice are capped at 24/96).

The manual doesn't seem to give specs for the A/D/A conversion. But I either read that somewhere else, or was told that by a dealer. Or I just hallucinated this idea.

Maybe someone else can track down a reference or prove me wrong on this.

roscoeiii

« Reply #175 on: 17 Feb 2013, 11:53 pm »
Roscoe,

Please elaborate, I dont follow you.

The ADC  to DAC process is 24/192? Is that what you say?

Wisnon,

Quickly Googling, it looks like you received this information from DSPeaker and had posted this info on Computer Audiophile. From what you posted a while back (October 2012) DSPeaker's responses to wisnon are in bold:

"I have at least 20 hi-rez albums of 176khz and higher that I wont be able to play otherwise from my laptop.

You should be able to play them, as USB should be able to send the data in 48/24. Also the ADC of the AM2DC is 192kHz, so you could also use analog input if nothing else works.

Please let me know the current status and future upgrade plans in the works.

Yes we will. We'll announce any new firmware features on our website, so stay tuned.

Any plans to allow Toslink and USB input to accept 24/192? I have a lot of hires albums and can make more from my SACDs.

It is difficult to say yet about 24/192 as we are still planning the 24/96. However, the analog input already is 192kHz and USB should be able to feed the data in 24/48 format. With 6.144MHz reclocking, 24/48 is essentially as good as 24/192 as there is no jitter (which is more relevant than the ultrasonics)."

wisnon

« Reply #176 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:17 am »
That is my point, the ADCis 24/192 but the DAC is not! ADCs are almost always of a lower quality than the Dac, despite the frequencies allowed.

You had said ADA which is the full chain , and that is what confused me. It accepts 24/192, upsamples to 40/6144 but can only output digital at 24/96 at best.

Of course it can convert from the 40/6144 back to analog, but that means its not possible to feed it ultra-hires digital.

I think we agree, its just semantics.

roscoeiii

« Reply #177 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:25 am »
That is my point, the ADCis 24/192 but the DAC is not! ADCs are almost always of a lower quality than the Dac, despite the frequencies allowed.

You had said ADA whichis the full chain, and that is not the case. It accepts 24/192, upsamples to 40/6144 but can only output digital at 24/96 at best.

Of course it can convert from the 40/6144 back to analog, but that means its not possible to feed it ultra-hires digital.

I think we agree, its just semantics.

Never said it was possible to feed it an ultra-hi res digital signal (by which I assume you mean 24/192 and above).

So is it the digital output that like the digital input that is the limiting factor? That would be my guess. I have not looked into digital outputs at all. You would need to have a mighty fine DAC for that to be worthwhile, IMO. I hope to hear more experiences of folks who do try this.

wisnon

« Reply #178 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:28 am »
Just confusion Roscoe...I agree I didnt get what you meant and so asked for clarification. No harm, you even reminded me of a post I forgot about.

I do have a great tube Dac, and so its a concern for me. It's a Lampi L4 multi bit....

roscoeiii

« Reply #179 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:31 am »
Just confusion Roscoe...I agree I didnt get what you meant and so asked for clarification. No harm, you even reminded me of a post I forgot about.

I do have a great tube Dac, and so its a concern for me. It's a Lampi L4 multi bit....

That is supposed to be one sweet DAC for sure.

My priority is largely vinyl at the moment, which leaves me very content with the Dual Core performing those duties.