SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

JEaton

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #80 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:01 am »
Its definitely more organized and you've got to love that.

I'm guessing you're talking about the new skin. What's more organized about it? To me it just looks more sparse, with functionality that's virtually identical to the old skin. If anything, it takes more clicks to get around, since all of the links that were out on the main page are now hidden.

Thump553

« Reply #81 on: 29 Nov 2007, 04:25 am »
I am sticking with 6.2 and firmware 15 until the slimserver web interface is updated with better search functionality.  That one improvement alone would make the upgrade worthwhile.  People who rip their collections want to be able to search quickly.  I want a textbox on every screen that lets me type a genre, artist, song title, etc, and get results quickly.  Interfaces like Google and Mac Spotlight have made this de rigueur in modern user interfaces.

Emphatically seconded.

Papajin

« Reply #82 on: 30 Nov 2007, 05:48 pm »
I am sticking with 6.2 and firmware 15 until the slimserver web interface is updated with better search functionality.  That one improvement alone would make the upgrade worthwhile.  People who rip their collections want to be able to search quickly.  I want a textbox on every screen that lets me type a genre, artist, song title, etc, and get results quickly.  Interfaces like Google and Mac Spotlight have made this de rigueur in modern user interfaces.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried the slimfx skin?  It's not perfect, but I find it works fairly well for moving around your music collection.  I've got my system setup so I can use either slimfx or the default interface as needed since slimfx isn't complete or full-featured, unfortunately.  Works great for searching for and playing music though!

I have a bad feeling it won't work with SlimCenter 7.0 but I haven't tried it.

crooner

« Reply #83 on: 30 Nov 2007, 11:32 pm »
Interesting discussion about Squeezecenter 7.0 and the Jive Remote.
I'm also going to wait for the official release to upgrade.

However, I've downloaded Firmware 83 from the latest nightly release of 7.0 for use with my current version 6.5.4.

I had been using Firmware 15 until now with great sonic results. Thanks to Mike Galusha's neat program, I can switch back to 15 if I don't like 83.

I'll give it a listen tonight and report back!
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2007, 11:48 pm by crooner »

DSK

« Reply #84 on: 1 Dec 2007, 07:04 am »
Well, I upgraded about a week ago from 6.2.1/FW15 to 7.0(21/11)/FW83. I swapped my speaker connections around at the back of the amp to counter the phase reversal since FW15.

aa Aint no way this little black duck is going back! 

crooner

« Reply #85 on: 1 Dec 2007, 07:49 am »
Well...
After playing a few FLACs through my beloved DIY Super Squeezebox, FW 83 rocks!!

The greatest improvement is in the midrange. Definitely more fleshed out. Voices had a spooky presence.

Another plus is that I can finally access internet radio again. Because Firmware 15 was so old, it no longer worked with internet radio streaming. Now, I can "warm up" the system with internet radio again.

jholtz

« Reply #86 on: 1 Dec 2007, 03:32 pm »
Are you using SlimCenter with firmware 83 or are using 6.+ Slimserver with it? I've been following the conversation about 83 closely but 15 sounds so darn good, I hate to screw it up by changing everything.

Thanks!

Jim

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #87 on: 1 Dec 2007, 03:35 pm »
Are you using SlimCenter with firmware 83 or are using 6.+ Slimserver with it? I've been following the conversation about 83 closely but 15 sounds so darn good, I hate to screw it up by changing everything.

Thanks!

Jim

Install Mike Galusha's little firmware switching program and you can very easily go back and forth between the two and decide which you like better.

George

Turnandcough

« Reply #88 on: 1 Dec 2007, 04:10 pm »

Thanks!

Jim

Install Mike Galusha's little firmware switching program and you can very easily go back and forth between the two and decide which you like better.

George
I have MG's program but it only allows up to FW 81. How do I get FW 83 without installing Slimcenter 7 software?

crooner

« Reply #89 on: 1 Dec 2007, 04:18 pm »
You have to download Squeezecenter 7.0 (zip file not the executable), then manually extract the firmware 83 file. You simply add the file to the firmware folder on your current Slim Server. Mike Galusha's program should see it now.

Turnandcough

« Reply #90 on: 1 Dec 2007, 07:03 pm »
You have to download Squeezecenter 7.0 (zip file not the executable), then manually extract the firmware 83 file. You simply add the file to the firmware folder on your current Slim Server. Mike Galusha's program should see it now.

Done! Thanks. I gave it a second listen(first time was when I had installed SC 7.0) and, for some reason, I'm liking it better than the first time. It seems more detailed and less bloated now  :dunno:

jholtz

« Reply #91 on: 1 Dec 2007, 08:27 pm »
I installed SlimCenter and copied version 15 in the firmware folder so I could compare 83 and 15 with Mike's utility. I've only had a little bit of time to listen due to helping the wife decorate the house for Christmas, but my first impression is that 83 is more forward with an emphasis on the midrange where 15 has a more recessed presentation. I'm going to listen more but so far I prefer the presentation of 15 better. It sounds more real to me.

My $.02 worth...

Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #92 on: 1 Dec 2007, 08:38 pm »
Please be aware that firmware 15 is 180 degrees out of phase compared to the later firmwares.

If you are comparing 15 to any later firmware, you will need to invert the polarity of your speakers when you switch the firmware.

This doesn't matter if you are using a stock or modded SB. Firmware 15 does NOT invert "absolute" polarity. That is why it is popular with people who use a modded SB. All the later firmware DOES invert polarity so after it goes through the op-amp in the stock SB the absolute polarity is correct.

crooner

« Reply #93 on: 1 Dec 2007, 09:02 pm »
Yep,
I was a little over enthusiastic about the change from FW15 to 83, because the sound change is so obvious. My "fleshed out voices" comment seems to correlate with the midrange forwardness Jim is hearing.

My Vandy speakers and ARC electronics are on the warm side of neutral, so perhaps the new firmware doesn't sound too aggressive in my system.

I will listen to it again, and perhaps switch back and forth between both to further assess the differences.
« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2007, 09:21 pm by crooner »

Tweaker

« Reply #94 on: 1 Dec 2007, 09:24 pm »
No mid range forwardness to report here. Just a lusher more natural sounding presentation.

crooner

« Reply #95 on: 1 Dec 2007, 09:48 pm »
No mid range forwardness to report here. Just a lusher more natural sounding presentation.

That's good to know.
One thing's for certain the portrayal of the different instruments in the soundstage is stellar. Not "cardboard cutout" as in cheap digital.

I'll give FW 83 another shot tonight. I like the 3D spaciousness and portrayal of the human voice. I'll probably keep it. I wouldn't want to loose the ability to use the Internet Radio feature. Overall, the sound of these radio streams is inferior to even mediocre multipath ladden FM, but every now and then a good 128 kbps stream comes along.

Turnandcough

« Reply #96 on: 1 Dec 2007, 10:44 pm »

... Overall, the sound of these radio streams is inferior to even mediocre multipath ladden FM, but every now and then a good 128 kbps stream comes along.
I find Radio IO jazz sounds pretty darn good for a stream.

mgalusha

« Reply #97 on: 1 Dec 2007, 11:06 pm »
One additional note on the absolute polarity of v15 vs anything newer, this does not apply if you are using the digital out and an external DAC, only if using the SB analog outputs.

Glad my little utility is still useful. :) I used it to load v83 on my 6.5.2 server and so far I like the results.

Mike

yooper

« Reply #98 on: 2 Dec 2007, 12:20 am »
Ok, I'm a little confused now  :scratch:

I have a Transporter (running 7.0 and analog out) and don't know if the reversal of phase with the newer firmware you guys are talking about is different with the SB3?

I do know that there is a Slim setting under the audio tab which shows Polarity inversion, which gives the user the option to choose normal or reverse (I have set as normal).  If the newer firmware does reverse the phase, wouldn't these setting be backwards then?  Perhaps this does not affect the Transporter?

Here is where I get even more confused.... I have an Odyssey Candela pre which, by product of design, already reverses the phase.  So, I already have my speaker cables reversed because of the Candela.

If the Transporter is reversing the phase, and the Candela reverses the phase, what should I do with the speaker cables, still reverse them as they are now?  What about the Slim software option for phase normal/reverse?

I also have an SB3 upstairs which has firmware 83, and the Transporter is running firmware 33, I assume the firmware is different for each?

Knowing me, I'm either missing something or making things more complicated than they actually are.

:scratch:   :scratch:

Mark

« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2007, 01:07 am by yooper »

mcullinan

« Reply #99 on: 2 Dec 2007, 12:26 am »
Perhaps the reason I didn't hear differences between firmwares is because I use an external DAC. Hehe.
mike