SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote

Tweaker

Re: SlimCenter 7.0 and JIVE remote
« Reply #100 on: 2 Dec 2007, 12:46 am »
I use an external DAC and an inexpensive NOS one at that yet I can easily hear the improvement. Maybe it's all in my head but if it is I hope not to come back to reality any time soon.  I'm really loving the sound since switching from FW15 to 83.

mcullinan

« Reply #101 on: 2 Dec 2007, 12:50 am »
please tell me is the firmware an automatic update. I just need to use 7.0 correct.
Mike

Tweaker

« Reply #102 on: 2 Dec 2007, 01:12 am »
please tell me is the firmware an automatic update. I just need to use 7.0 correct.
Mike
7.0 is a beta development version of Slimserver now called SqueezeCenter. Because this is still a Beta release (hence there may be some bugs, although I've not had any issues), it will not be an part of an automatic update. You need to download and install it yourself. Here's a link. Look for the "Windows Executable" file:
http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/7.0/
Keep in mind this is not just the firmware be an entire new program to replace your existing one. It can overwrite your old Slimserver but it seems that some people are having some hiccups with that so I would suggest a clean install. You can keep your original program and settings that way too and easily switch back if you want to. Just install to a different directory.

jholtz

« Reply #103 on: 2 Dec 2007, 01:33 am »
I am running a Red Wine audio modified Squeezebox 2 but only as a transport to a modified DAC. I've not had a chance to spend anymore time listening today but I doubt my impressions will change. Different speakers and electronics will determine each persons opinion. My speakers are an open back mid DIY design and are the most revealing and accurate I've ever heard.

The differences between versions 15 and 83 are the performers are at the back of the speakers with 15 and with 83 they are in front of the speaker. Both are very 3 dimensional but 15 is a bit more so. Version 83 seems to have a bit emphasis in the mids compared to 15 which I find to be the most "real" sounding. 83 strikes me as having a bit to much bloom to the mid range. The good news is, I'm now running SlimCenter which seems to be pretty nice. It took a while to get it configured but it's quite nice.

I'll listen more tomorrow but that is what I heard. Others experiences may vary.

Jim

tonyptony

« Reply #104 on: 2 Dec 2007, 02:57 am »
Jim, you're running Slimcenter with v.15?

jholtz

« Reply #105 on: 2 Dec 2007, 03:03 am »
Jim, you're running Slimcenter with v.15?

Hi Tony,

Yes, version 15 works fine with SlimCenter. However, I just spent more time listening and swapping back and forth between 15 and 83. I think I may have to eat my words in the previous message. Version 83 is very nice and I believe it does have a more 3 dimensional presentation than version 15. Resolution which has been noted by others seems to also be improved. I'm not sure that 83 has quite the depth in the soundstage as 15 but it's very close.

I'm going to go with 83 a while and see if I change my mind. Thanks to Mike for the fabulous utility that makes comparisons like these so easy.

Jim

DSK

« Reply #106 on: 2 Dec 2007, 06:48 am »
Jim, I have to agree. I have no idea why firmware should make any difference to sound quality whatsoever, but it does....

FW83 is more immediate than FW15, with greater resolution, immediacy and engagement. It simply sounds more 'live'. A Sarah K album I previously found a little flat, 2 dimensional and boring, now has greater clarity, openness, dimensionality, engagement, texture and is quite enjoyable. A Yello album, cranked up (as I usually do for Yello) is tighter, cleaner and more impactful.

No idea why, but I sure ain't complainin'!  :lol:

lcrim

« Reply #107 on: 2 Dec 2007, 04:37 pm »
I've just reloaded Slim Server 6.5.4 and updated the firmware on the players to V83 via Mike Galusha's firmware switcher.  The improvements in sound quality are still apparent after flashing the players w/ V83.  Unfortunately the GUI interface still requires way too much drilling down.  I much preferred the ability to select an entire CD in its original order of play to the way its now organized. 

mcullinan

« Reply #108 on: 2 Dec 2007, 04:54 pm »
So even with an external Dac it sounds better? What are we hearing, better jitter reduction, a smoother wifi, better handling of each music compression format?
Mike

lcrim

« Reply #109 on: 2 Dec 2007, 05:11 pm »
In order to compare V81 to V83 I have to reload the firmware to the player.  This takes roughly 30 seconds and thus it isn't possible to directly A-B the two versions.  Having said that, I find V83 darker sounding, and less grainy with better bass.  I find it less tiring to listen to.  Yes, I use separate DACs and hear an improvement.  I can't measure the parameters you mentioned.

lcrim

« Reply #110 on: 4 Dec 2007, 03:47 pm »
For the sake of completeness and to give credit where due, I want to clarify a point.  I am now running SlimServer 6.5.4 with firmware V83 and last night under Playlists discovered all my previously ripped flacs but arranged by CD (by artist/title) with the play order as it was on the CD.  Play order on classical CD's being quite important.  This fixes my only issue.  I have no idea if this would also be the case with SqueezeCenter 7 but for the present things are good.

mvalera

« Reply #111 on: 4 Dec 2007, 06:09 pm »
Hey guys I hate to break it to you, but as far as our engineering is concerned there were no changes made to the last firmware that would have affected sound.

The update was mainly to improve syncing between players.

Also there is no such thing as an SB4. It doesn't exist, so if you are waiting for it you will be waiting a long time.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Valera
Online Communities Manager
Logitech Streaming Media Systems
slimdevices.com
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2007, 07:32 pm by mvalera »

Nick B

« Reply #112 on: 4 Dec 2007, 09:33 pm »
Hmmm....that's interesting. If there will be no SB 4 (or whatever you want to call it), then I guess there was no need for the prototype remote, especially since I asked if the remote would be available for my current SB 2 and the answer sure appeared to be no.

That makes Sonos suddenly more appealing again. I was hoping/expecting better than that from Logitech. 

Papajin

« Reply #113 on: 4 Dec 2007, 09:46 pm »
Hmmm....that's interesting. If there will be no SB 4 (or whatever you want to call it), then I guess there was no need for the prototype remote, especially since I asked if the remote would be available for my current SB 2 and the answer sure appeared to be no.

That makes Sonos suddenly more appealing again. I was hoping/expecting better than that from Logitech. 

Why wouldn't the new remote (which isn't guaranteed to become an actual shipping product at this time) work with your SB2?  It's my understanding that it controls SlimServer, not the actual Squeezebox, so in theory it should work with both the 2 and 3 assuming recent firmware.  Reading through threads on Slimdevice's forums seems to indicate that many of the Jive hardware testers are using SB2's.

Or perhaps the more important question is, who told you "no"?

Not that the Sonos isn't a nice product mind you.  I personally feel it's analog sound quality is less than the SB3 or Transport, though.

JEaton

« Reply #114 on: 4 Dec 2007, 09:46 pm »
I asked if the remote would be available for my current SB 2 and the answer sure appeared to be no.

The new Jive remote works with existing Squeezeboxes, though it remains to be seen what the final product will be, as those being used now for testing may be nothing more than early prototypes.

As for an SB4, my suspicion is that the SB3 is the end of the line for Squeezeboxes as we know them, and that future products will be a bit different.  Whether they'll have any appeal to audiophiles remains to be seen.

JoshK

« Reply #115 on: 4 Dec 2007, 09:56 pm »
I just want that remote, like yesterday.   :wink:

Turnandcough

« Reply #116 on: 4 Dec 2007, 11:57 pm »
... Also there is no such thing as an SB4. It doesn't exist, so if you are waiting for it you will be waiting a long time.

Cheers

Mike

Michael Valera
slimdevices.com

On november 14th pics of a device called the Squeezebox Duet were shown(I saw it myself), along with the JIVE remote on several European websites. The mysterious device was supposed to make it's appearance at CES 2008. Two days later all pics and traces disappeared from the websites.  :icon_lol: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:arpXCV-NtfgJ:www.multiroom.fr/gestion.php/2007/11/13/la_logitech_squeezebox_duet_avec_telec+Squeezebox+Duet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=uk

JEaton

« Reply #117 on: 5 Dec 2007, 12:15 am »
On november 14th there were pics of a device called the Squeezebox Duet was shown(I saw it myself), along with the JIVE remote on several European websites. The mysterious device was supposed to make it's appearance at CES 2008. Two days later all pics and traces disappeared from the websites. :thumb: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:arpXCV-NtfgJ:www.multiroom.fr/gestion.php/2007/11/13/la_logitech_squeezebox_duet_avec_telec+Squeezebox+Duet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=uk

That would coincide with the targeted release date of Jan 5 for SqueezeCenter 7.  They'd be just getting it out by the skin of their teeth for the new product announcement.  Right now SqueezeCenter 7 is mostly usable, but it's a mountain of small bugs and bits of unfinished features.

Playing catchup with Sonos.  Nothing really surprising about that.

mvalera

« Reply #118 on: 5 Dec 2007, 01:01 am »
The Jive Target Hardware Platform works with any of our products. It controls SlimServer not the hardware directly.

We don't comment on future/unannounced hardware, but a SB4 sounds like you all think there is a SB3 replacement on the roadmap. There is not.

To beat this dead... the SB3 will continue unchanged for the foreseeable future. There is no planned replacement for it.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Valera
slimdevices.com
« Last Edit: 5 Dec 2007, 04:57 am by mvalera »

Val

« Reply #119 on: 5 Dec 2007, 05:05 am »
Hey guys I hate to break it to you, but as far as our engineering is concerned there were no changes made to the last firmware that would have affected sound.

I told you, they can't hear! :D